Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Rifle recommendations ?

I am planning to purchase a new rifle which I'll be using for several purposes.
1. Target shoooting - out to 100-300 yards
2. Varmit hunting
3. Possibly deer hunting ?

I know one rifle cannot hande all my wishes, but looking for a caliber to meet most of my needs.

I'm VERY interested in the 22-250 caliber, and this would be perfect for
#1 & #2 above, but not nearly enough punch for deer hunting should I decide to persue, at a later time.

Also considering a 240 & 270 caliberz, but not sure of their accuracy for target shooting, or even if these calibers coulld fall into that category?

Also have to consiider cost advantages/disadvantages of each caliber,
not only for initial cost of rifle, but ammo.

I use to re-laod my own ammo in the past, but at this time would not consider performing this for new rifle.

Your suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated.

Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:46 AM   #2
ApS

In some circles, this subject would be endless!

Today, it is generally accepted that the popular 30-30 caliber is too small for hunting deer. Consider the native-American legend that relates the following:

Quote:
"A father gives his son a rifle and one caliber 22LR bullet, and told to 'Bring home a deer'".
...suggesting that the stalk is more important than the caliber...

Speaking of stalking, I've kept a newspaper article that has a large photo of my Grandfather with a large buck downed with an arrow. The big headline spread across the page? "Doctor Downs a Deer with Local 'Leatherstocking Club'". I thought it was a typo, but "leather stocking" originated over a century ago, and is mostly lost on my generation today.

Many a target-shooter has honed their skills with 22LR: but for accuracy, I'd shoot 308. However, those "varmints" and "far-out" targets would be expensive targets—if not potentially hazardous!

Anyway, you're gonna need more than one rifle...IMHO
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:31 AM   #3
dpg

22 for target/fun/varmit 30-30 or 30-06 for deer. Personally I don't agree a 30-30 isn't enough for deer I've hunted with plenty of people that use them actually as many as a 30-06.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
Kamper

Many NH hunting "Zones" are shotgun and .22 only. Single shot, and double barrell shotguns can be fitted with chamber inserts for a variety of pistol and rifle calibers. I only recall these devices being made to 12g but they may be available for other guages. These allow you to 'play' with a wider selection of ammo but still only have one gun to store and maintain. Using an insert would not free you from the caliber/cartridge restrictions applicable in the zones.

Although many gun and hunting magazines say .30/30 is light for deer and blackbear they usualy include a comment that it is still the caliber that brings down most of the deer harvested in this country.

The 7.62X39 caliber is considerred to be nearly identical to .30/30 in ballistic and stopping power terms. Eastern European ammo in this caliber is fairly cheap for plinking at cans and such but if you don't trust the quality for more practical use there is US made ammo available too.

"Simonov" (SKS) type carbines are still fairly cheap and can be fitted with a 5 round magazine for hunting purposes if desired. Some of them are setup to accept AK magazines and there are 5 round versions of those available as well. You could get a MAK variant, which is essentially a semi-auto AK47 with a thumbhole stock/grip which makes it legal for hunting. Prices on those though, are close to a US made hunting rifle so unless you'd like the ability to use a mag up to 75 rounds, at the range, these are probably not the tools for you.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
jmen24

Default Great Topic

Bigdog, first it should be mentioned that this topic will have many different opinions, some good and some obscure.

Seeing this was not apart of your thought options, I will not take up much space on the 30-30. The idea that this is to light for big game is solely based on its downrange ballistics and lack of versitilty in ranges beyond 100 yards. It is the most popular deer hunting rifle for this area as you likely do not get shots at ranges exceeding 100 yards.

Next .22 caliber rifles are not legal in any zone in NH to hunt deer, it is a rim fire caliber and is clearly banned for large game hunting in NH.

A .22 is great for plinking, but the transition to a larger caliber for large game hunting is too steep. This a great caliber to have in the quiver, when you are working on your breathing and accuracy at the range, as you are not going to get tired (sore shoulder) at the range.

I own, use and hunt with all of my rifles, but don't spend hours at a time at the range for the sole purpose of target practice, they are simply exhausting to shoot repeatedly, but it is important to stay up on the feel setup, so it is done. All of my rifles are all set up for specific purposes and ammunition, when I create a balistic record for a rifle/scope/ammo combo, I don't change it, that is my personal setup preferences. The nice thing is that you could if you wanted too. Keeping accurate records of each combo setup can allow you to use a single rifle for many tasks. An example would be using the same setup of rifle/scope settings and ammo for target and varmit, while using a heavier load for deer hunting. The balistics require an adjustment in scope settings to compensate for bullet drop in the heavier load.

I started out with an Original Winchester model 70 in .270 as my all around rifle, good to 200 yards with a common and inexpensive load. You can target shoot with a 130gr and hunt with a 150gr. Have harvested 3 deer with this rifle. 0@100yds. It is heavy on the shoulder due to synthetic stock.

Before going on an Elk hunt a few years ago, I spoiled myself and picked up a Browning A-bolt Medallion in .280 with Leopold VX-II 3-9. 0@200yds.
Have harvested a moose with this rifle. Feels lighter than the .270, that is due to the wood stock.

The .280 may seem to make the .270 obsolete, but they are very different on the balistic chart. The 150gr in the .270 at 300yds 0@200 has 12.5" of drop in the best balistic factory ammo that I found and tried. The 160gr in the .280 at 300yds 0@200 has 6.75" of drop with Federal Trophy Bonded tips ammo.

The .270 costs around $1.00 per round, while the .280 costs $2.45 per round.

Now, I have shot both the .243 and the 22-250. The 22-250 I have is a varmit specific rifle with a heavy barrel and stock, weighs in at just under 11lbs with the bi-pod. This is accurate to 500yrds and in my opinion is the best caliber for target/varmit at long range. I would not hunt deer with this rifle as it is a tank, but the caliber would be more than good enough with proper shot placement.

I my opinion the .243 is probably the best caliber for your needs. It shoots a load that is light enough to be enjoyable at the range, downrange balistics are good for varmit to the distances you mentioned and with a few setup changes can shoot a heavier load for deer hunting.

Now beyond the caliber is the actual rifle, a quality rifle is worth every dollar spent, as is the scope. Even if there were such a thing as the perfect caliber, a lower quality rifle and cheap optics would ruin the package.

Good luck with your choices and happy plinking!
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
angela4design (12-03-2012), bigdog (11-26-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Yes the 30-30 is just fine for deer up to 100+ yards. Longer range ballistics for the classic blunt bullet shape show a significant drop. However Hornady has addressed this issue.
http://www.hornady.com/store/30-30-W...EVERevolution/

For 200 to 300 range target and varmint hunting the .223 is a good choice but it is not a recommended deer gun.If you don't like the looks of the AR type black rifles, the Ruger Mini 14 is a good choice.
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
nhboat61 (11-29-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Bigdog;

I would recommend the 6.5/08 also known as the .260 Remington for the reasons noted below...

#1. This caliber is extremely accurate and currently used in many NRA long range matches out to 1000 yds.

#2. The 6.5 mm bullets are some of the best on the shelf. The current offerings by Sierra and Berger include a wide range of target and hunting bullets up to 142 grains.

#3. Low recoil similar to the .223

#4. Easily re-loadable or store bought off the shelf. The .260 Rem is nothing more than a .308 case necked down to handle and hold the 6.5 mm bullets or a .243 case necked up. Many of the the major brass manufacturers are now making this brass including Lapua so necking up or down is not necessary.

#5. Long barrel life. Unlike the .243 Winchester the .260 Remington is easy on barrels. Life expectancy for competition purposes is approximately 3000 - 3500 rounds whereas a .243 will be burnt out in 1400 rounds. For hunting purposes disregard this information as you will be able to hit a "pie plate" at 100 yds for many rounds with either caliber!

To have a rifle for both serious competition and hunting is nearly impossible. A properly built rifle for competition would require a gunsmith to blue print the action, properly pillar bed the stock, custom barrel at a cut length which would be really too long for trudging through the pucker brush after deer, custom trigger and the absolute best iron sights or optics money can buy. A custom rifle like this would hold 1/2 minute of angle accuracy shot after shot and would run somewhere around $5000.00. For a simple deer rifle, off the shelf is more than sufficient and you could get into it for less than $1500.00.

Maybe a factory bull barrel tactical rifle in .260 Remington would do everything you want at your local sand pit. Take a look at a Savage Model 12. Just don't expect too much in serious competition.

Good luck with whatever you decide and most importantly be safe and have fun shooting!

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 11-26-2012 at 04:38 PM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I suppose the best compromise if you can only pick one would be a .243 a little heavy for varmints and a little light for deer, but if you're less than 100 yards from the deer it'll do the trick. Just go for a neck shot.

Ideally for shotgun only areas, forget the shotgun and get a good inline modern day muzzle loader chambered in .50 cal. Every bit as good as a single shot rifle at 100 yards or less. Far more accurate and greater knockdown power. You cannot hunt for deer with a .22LR in NH.

For woods hunting, or as I say hunting in brush, the .30-30 will work great, although honestly I prefer my .44 Mag Marlin lever action.

For open areas boy I went around and around on this but ended up settling on a .30-06 as it is probably one of the most versatile flat shooting large calibers and also very popular for that reason.

I don't just recommend these calibers I actually have had success with them all for what that may be worth!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
Kamper

In case anyone mis-understood my post above, I was not saying .22 is adequate for deer. I was merely mentionning that there are caliber restrictions in certain areas. To be honest, muzzle loaders had completely slipped my mind but the OP had given me the impression he was referring to cartridge weapons.

And always use eye protection when shooting.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #10
MikeF-NH

Since I didn't see the caliber mentioned, I absolutely have to toss this in the mix....the timeless 30-06.

My first center fire caliber was the .35 marlin which I considered the big brother to the 30-30. At the time, the Revolution rounds had not been on the market and I accepted it as a great deer round perferctly suited to the woods I hunted which never offered shots over 75 yards much less out to a few hundred. The Marlin 336c (like the Winchester 30-30 was short, light and easy to carry in thick woods. I preferred the factory sights of the 336c and curved grib on the butt stock over the Winchester straight english-style stock and factory sights.

When the moose lottery came into focus, I knew I needed to upgrade. The 270 and 7mm were the calibers I was considering. It was only because of a great deal on a lefty Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 that I went this way.

The biggest advantage to the '06 is its general availability. Any shop that sells any ammo will most likely have at least one flavor of the '06. while it might be a bit light for the largest North American game and probably not suited as an all purpose African cartridge, I firmly believe it is capable for any species of big game in New England. It also have the advantage of a specialized "Accelerator" cartridge which is a 55 grain bullet in the full sized '06 casing designed for varmiters. Also pretty much any manufacturer builds rifles in this round.

...just my .02, I also am 100% behind the 30-30, .35, 243 (especially for smaller shooters), 270, 7mm, 300 WinMag and 300 WinMag short as all being terrific cartridges. The .22 offers the inexpensive advantage for targets and the 223 is an awesome varmit round with the unique and popular AR-15 platform to build on that offers many customization options.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #11
codeman671

I would suggest the ruger mini-14. It is a good all-around gun in .223, and still reasonable to shoot compared to some of the others mentioned. The .223 shell is in high demand right now but you can still buy them in bulk in the $.35-.40 per round range if you shop it.

It is good for target/plinking, and a great varmint gun. People do hunt deer in .223 as well, but it is not a high stopping power. I just picked up the tactical version with the folding stock, great piece and I got a killer Black Friday deal on it at Renaissance in Gonic.
codeman671 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #12
dpg

Do what I've done hide in a tree when it (fill in the blank here) walks underneath you jump on its back and kill it with your Rambo knife.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #13
nhboat61

I've been thinking as well as what to get. Not that I'm looking to go big game hunting , or any hunting at all (right now). I've been looking at a Remington .223, what would this round be good for.

I'm thinking of target shooting, varmit control as well as may be small game hunting.

On a side note, been thinking of also getting a handgun. My brother who is a LEO advised me to get a Sig in .380
nhboat61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #14
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhboat61 View Post
I've been thinking as well as what to get. Not that I'm looking to go big game hunting , or any hunting at all (right now). I've been looking at a Remington .223, what would this round be good for.

I'm thinking of target shooting, varmit control as well as may be small game hunting.

On a side note, been thinking of also getting a handgun. My brother who is a LEO advised me to get a Sig in .380
I prefer glock as far as handguns are concerned. Parts are readily available, caliber changes are easy if desired, etc. You can swap out a barrel and clip in seconds to change to different calibers within a frame size. Very reliable.
codeman671 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
nhboat61 (12-07-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #15
Slickcraft

Quote:

The .223 is fine for your stated use and as already noted the Ruger mini-14 is one way to do that.

There is no easy answer to the handgun choice. It depends on your intended use, training, proficiency and comfort. Suggest a look at the hundreds of articles available such as: http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Best%20Handgun.htm
The lower the experience/proficiency the simpler the handgun should be for reliability and safety. One simple choice: double action revolver.
A Sig .380 fills but one small niche in the spectrum of handguns.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
nhboat61 (12-07-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #16
Orion

Default lowest cost target shooting

If you plan on doing a lot of target shooting, you can't beat the low cost of a box of 500 target .22 rounds. It's great for introduction of guns and target shooting to new shooters since the recoil is minimal, cost is extremely low, and if you shoot 22 shorts, they are no louder than a cap gun. .22 long rifle rounds with a quality gun are high velocity and precise. Good for varmint shooting as well.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #17
DRH

Quote:

.380 Auto handguns are very good for concealed carry, but they lack in stopping power when compared to a 9mm, .38 Spc., .40 S&W, or .45 ACP. As Slickcraft suggested, your reason for wanting a handgun is a very important consideration in deciding what caliber and model is right for you. Are you interested in concealed carry, home defense, etc.? It's important to determine your particular needs and expectations before you consider which caliber and make/model to purchase.
nhboat61 (12-14-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #18
Pineedles

DRH is right in his comparison of a .380 to these other calibers. However, after years of carrying a .357 S&W, and then a Glock model 23, I have downsized to a Taurus TCP .380. It even comes with a handy case that loops into your belt and actually looks like a cell phone case. Loaded with JHPs I think I can defend myself quite well.
Attached Images

Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
Electric man (01-24-2013), nhboat61 (12-14-2012)
Old 01-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #19
flatlander02138

Default rifle

I just went through this and now I have a few as no one gun fits all. It is all opinion but here's my .02$

I got a Ruger 10/22 as its the most popular and reliable .22 available. Additionally if the world ends you can kill anything with a head shot from a .22. Also before the little dinkus in Ct, the ammo is about .03$ per shot and you can carry a lot in your pockets. I have killed squirrel with it, but mostly the kids and I enjoy shooting something they can handle without major shoulder pain.

As for deer I would consider a .50 caliber inline muzzleloader. Sounds crazy but about half of all NH deer get taken during muzzleloader week. Also after that week you can keep useing it in any area of NH. They are accurate and fun. They do run over a dollar or two per shot but you are unlikely to get a second shot off if you miss anyways. A CVA Wolf is only about 175$ at Walmart. At .50 cal, anyshot is a good shot.

They other over looked deer gun is a shotgun with rifled slugs. They go 100yards with minimal drop. I got a 12g. Slugs are about $1/ shot. Then if you want to hit birds or varmint you go buck shot, bird shot etc.

Lastly I got a 30-06 which is about $2/shot but can reach out and touch anything you can see. It beats your shoulder but I can pop a half dollar at 100 yards no worries. Mine came with a scope and if you can see it, you can hit it.
flatlander02138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #20
bigdog

Default Rifle recommendations

Thanks flatlander02138, for your response....

I too own a Ruger 10/22 with a scope. Nicest little varmint/target rifle
I've bought so far. Have had this for years, and brought t me much enjoyment. Fun and cheap to shoot !

Still looking to purchase a 22-250, although that 260 Remington
Mentioned by 'ishoot308' is appealing. A lot more punch for the money.

Also planning to make a purchase of a 12 gauge pump shotgun.
On that note, can folks comment about 'choke' options for a shotgun?
I'm not too familiar with these. Are there really different types of ‘chokes’?
I guess a modified choke should handle all situations?

Appreciate your feedback!

Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #21
NoBozo

I recommend this rifle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrett_M82. I think it is best known as a Most Excellent Sniper Rifle. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #22
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Also planning to make a purchase of a 12 gauge pump shotgun.
On that note, can folks comment about 'choke' options for a shotgun?
I'm not too familiar with these. Are there really different types of ‘chokes’?
I guess a modified choke should handle all situations?

Appreciate your feedback!

Bigdog
Choice of choke depends on range and application, volumes have been written on this. Here is a basic note:
http://www.briley.com/understandings...nbybriley.aspx

Most modern shotguns are designed for screw-in chokes so you can own several chokes and choose what is best for the current application. About the only modern fixed choke shotguns are the 18 1/2" barrel guns for home defense that are cylinder chokes, i.e. no choke at all.

Your basic pump shotgun choices are the Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870, both are fine. You could go up to Kittery Trading Post and look at both, see what feels good to you. We have a Mossberg 500 only because we like the feel and the tang safety position being the same as our target shotguns.

We both have O/U target shotguns for skeet and sporting clays with a full range of extended screw in chokes. Look at the target presentation and then select the chokes, if necessary. The most common sporting clay target choke is Improved Cylinder. But that won't do at all for turkey hunting.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #23
sir james

Everyone better enjoy the second amendment while you can... it would seem the government is busy working toward abolishing it!
sir james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #24
flatlander02138

Default still shotgun ammo forsale its all else thats mia

I'm cheap, trying to buy guns under wife radar. So I went with the Mossberg 88 Maverick. As much as I dislike Walmart, if you goto Concord or Lebanon's Walmart they are under $190. It's same as Mossberg 500 but no tang. It has a cross bar type safety on trigger gaurd instead. All same sized parts and chokes fit it too. I've got one choke it came with and a turkey season one that gets me 8" pattern at about 25 yards, cost $17 at gun store. I put the day glow clip-on sites on it and whacked a turkey for first time. I keep it in a steel holder like police cars used on dash growing up. Great loaded bedroom gun and locked from kids at same time. Push a few buttons and click click bye bye methhead. Holder is called shotlock or shotloc.
flatlander02138 is offline   Reply With Quote