Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-06-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
Resident 2B

Default Aug 2008: Lake level and rain

I just checked the dock this morning and based upon my very-unofficial marker, as of 11:00 this morning, we are at or slightly above full lake.

Quickly looking at the historical data from the Dam Bureau, we are likely to have the highest lake level for this time of year since 1982 with all the rain we are getting. I realize that we need rain to live, but this is getting to be too much.

Any tropical system that brings rain in the next five weeks will likely cause floods. I am not saying we will have a visit from a tropical system, but it is that time of the year and the lake now is full and it keeps raining.

Got to get back to work on the new ark!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:47 AM   #2
chipj29

Many area rivers are running quite high. Not at flood stage, but some are close. Take a look at the Swift River along the Kanc. The usual rocks are all almost under water!
Old 08-07-2008, 08:12 AM   #3
CanisLupusArctos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
I just checked the dock this morning and based upon my very-unofficial marker, as of 11:00 this morning, we are at or slightly above full lake.

Quickly looking at the historical data from the Dam Bureau, we are likely to have the highest lake level for this time of year since 1982 with all the rain we are getting. I realize that we need rain to live, but this is getting to be too much.

Any tropical system that brings rain in the next five weeks will likely cause floods. I am not saying we will have a visit from a tropical system, but it is that time of the year and the lake now is full and it keeps raining.

Got to get back to work on the new ark!

R2B

I noticed the same thing this morning. When Black Cat Shoals has just one tiny little rock sticking up (barely visible in the WeatherCam) the lake level is, as you say, at or slightly above full. Yesterday's sustained southeast winds at 30 mph (gust to 42 mph) brought large waves up the length of the lake and over the tops of the docks on the south side of the island.

Between 10 pm Monday and noon yesterday we had 1.65 inches of rain. This brings the total for the first six days of August to 2.25 inches. As R2B mentioned, this is the time of year when we normally need to think about tropical systems. To that I will add: We don't need an actual named storm to cause flood problems here; the remnants of a former tropical system are much more common around here, and usually drop a lot of rainfall.

In the meantime, the threat from regular showers and thunderstorms remains, due to the clash of the cold and warm air masses that has been happening here all summer. I had thought (hoped) that summer's air would've won the match and taken hold to give us at least a couple of hot/dry weeks by now, but as Labor Day approaches, it becomes more and more likely that our next sustained stretch of dry weather will come when the the cold air eventually wins -- autumn.

No need to spend your vacation in worry; just have a "ready" mentality.

ps I found several red leaves on the ground yesterday. Enough for a handful. There were a few more on the otherwise-green tree above them.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:13 AM   #4
JTA

It was probably a tupelo tree. The first sign of summer coming to an end soon.
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:39 PM   #5
CanisLupusArctos

Default Heavy T-Storms This Afternoon

Severe weather is once again possible this afternoon. The sun has destabilized the air. Severe Thunderstorm Watch #813 is in effect for the SW portion of the state but radar shows thunderstorms with heavy rain covering much of Vermont and moving east. Activity extends west through NY state and into southern Canada from there. Rainy times are ahead.

According to my "lake gauge" the lake is at full. The gauge is a large rock with a marking I made during calm conditions when the lake was at 504.32 (full.)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
CanisLupusArctos

Default Flood Warning

There is now a Severe Thunderstorm Warning, a flood warning and a flash flood warning in effect for the northwestern end of the lakes region. Severe Thunderstorm Warning is because radar indicates large hail and winds in excess of 60 mph within approaching storms over Meredith headed east. Flood warning means flooding is either occurring or will be occurring shortly. Flash flooding is a rapid type of flooding that can turn dry roads into impassable roads within minutes. NWS radar shows a line of thunderstorms forming an eastward-moving train from the Lebanon area to the lakes region.

Black Cat Island Wx has received 0.33" of rain this afternoon and more is likely this evening. This is in addition to the previously-mentioned rain.

Here is the NWS warning text:

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
NHC001-003-072315-
/O.NEW.KGYX.SV.W.0181.080807T2218Z-080807T2315Z/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME
618 PM EDT THU AUG 7 2008

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAY MAINE HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...
NORTHWESTERN BELKNAP COUNTY IN CENTRAL NEW HAMPSHIRE...
SOUTHWESTERN CARROLL COUNTY IN NORTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE...

* UNTIL 715 PM EDT

* AT 614 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING NICKEL SIZE HAIL...AND
DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR
MEREDITH...AND MOVING EAST AT 6 MPH.

* SOME LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO
MEREDITH.

PLEASE REPORT HAIL OR STRONG WINDS TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BY
CALLING TOLL FREE...1-877-633-6772...WHEN YOU CAN DO SO SAFELY.
------------------------------------------

FLOOD WARNING
548 PM EDT THU AUG 7 2008

NHC001-003-080045-
/O.NEW.KGYX.FA.W.0011.080807T2148Z-080808T0045Z/
/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z. OO/
548 PM EDT THU AUG 7 2008

* FLOOD WARNING FOR...
WESTERN CARROLL COUNTY IN NORTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE...

* UNTIL 845 PM EDT

* AT 547 PM EDT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RADAR SHOWED THUNDERSTORMS
DUMPING HEAVY RAIN OVER PORTIONS OF GRAFTON COUNTY.

RECENT HEAVY RAINS HAVE ALREADY CAUSED HIGH WATER AND SATURATED
GROUND OVER PARTS OF BELKNAP AND CARROLL COUNTIES OVER RECENT DAYS
SO THE AREA IS PRONE TO FLOODING. ALREADY AN INCH OR MORE OF RAIN
HAS FALLEN IN THE PAST HOUR AND ANOTHER INCH OR MORE IS POSSIBLE
THROUGH 845 PM.

EXCESSIVE RUNOFF FROM HEAVY RAINFALL WILL CAUSE ELEVATED LEVELS ON
SMALL CREEKS AND STREAMS...AND PONDING OF WATER ON ROADS AND LOW
LYING AREAS ALONG THE BANKS OF CREEKS AND STREAMS.

DO NOT DRIVE YOUR VEHICLE INTO AREAS WHERE THE WATER COVERS THE
ROADWAY. THE WATER DEPTH MAY BE TOO GREAT TO ALLOW YOUR CAR TO CROSS
SAFELY. MOVE TO HIGHER GROUND.

IN HILLY TERRAIN THERE ARE MANY LOW WATER CROSSINGS WHICH ARE
POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS IN HEAVY RAIN. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TRAVEL ACROSS
FLOODED ROADS. FIND ALTERNATE ROUTES. IT TAKES ONLY A FEW INCHES OF
SWIFTLY FLOWING WATER TO CARRY VEHICLES AWAY.

PLEASE REPORT HIGH WATER TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BY CALLING
TOLL FREE...1-877-633-6772...WHEN YOU CAN DO SO SAFELY.

-------------------------------------------------------------

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
FLASH FLOOD WARNING
611 PM EDT THU AUG 7 2008

* FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR...
SOUTHERN GRAFTON COUNTY IN NORTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE...

* UNTIL 900 PM EDT

* AT 603 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR SHOWED AN
ARE OF THUNDERSTORMS OVER SOUTHERN GRAFTON AND NORTHWEST BELKNAP
COUNTIES. THESE STORMS WERE DROPPING VERY HEAVY RAIN. RADAR
ESTIMATED RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 3 TO 5 INCHES OVER THE LAST FEW HOURS.

SOME LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO
CANAAN...CARDIGAN MOUNTAIN STATE PARK...GROTON...MEREDITH...
HOLDERNESS AND ASHLAND.

EXCESSIVE RUNOFF FROM HEAVY RAINFALL WILL CAUSE FLOODING OF SMALL
CREEKS AND STREAMS...HIGHWAYS AND UNDERPASSES. ADDITIONALLY...COUNTRY
ROADS AND FARMLANDS ALONG THE BANKS OF CREEKS...STREAMS AND OTHER LOW
LYING AREAS ARE SUBJECT TO FLOODING. WATER LEVEL RISES WILL BE RAPID.

DO NOT DRIVE YOUR VEHICLE INTO AREAS WHERE THE WATER COVERS THE
ROADWAY. THE WATER DEPTH MAY BE TOO GREAT TO ALLOW YOUR CAR TO CROSS
SAFELY. MOVE TO HIGHER GROUND.

MOST FLOOD DEATHS OCCUR IN AUTOMOBILES. NEVER DRIVE YOUR VEHICLE INTO
AREAS WHERE THE WATER COVERS THE ROADWAY. FLOOD WATERS ARE USUALLY
DEEPER THAN THEY APPEAR. JUST ONE FOOT OF FLOWING WATER IS POWERFUL
ENOUGH TO SWEEP VEHICLES OFF THE ROAD. WHEN ENCOUNTERING FLOODED
ROADS MAKE THE SMART CHOICE...TURN AROUND...DONT DROWN.

FLOODING IS OCCURRING OR IS IMMINENT. IT IS IMPORTANT TO KNOW WHERE
YOU ARE RELATIVE TO STREAMS...RIVERS...OR CREEKS WHICH CAN BECOME
KILLERS IN HEAVY RAINS. CAMPERS AND HIKERS SHOULD AVOID STREAMS OR
CREEKS.

PLEASE REPORT HIGH WATER TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BY CALLING
TOLL FREE...1-877-633-6772...WHEN YOU CAN DO SO SAFELY.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:34 PM   #7
Lin

Our police/fire scanner is going crazy, not just down where we live in MA where we had an earlier tornado warning, but the lakes region radio is alive with trees down and major flooding events. I hear at Ames Campground they said cars and people in the water and flooding at Jellystone and near Hawkins Pond. Sounds pretty serious. My brotherinlaw and family returned from camping at the White Mountains today due to the rain and the river floodings. Take care everyone up there especially driving near flooded areas, and please keep the kids away from the culverts and rivers.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:23 PM   #8
CanisLupusArctos

Default Trees and washouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin View Post
Our police/fire scanner is going crazy, not just down where we live in MA where we had an earlier tornado warning, but the lakes region radio is alive with trees down and major flooding events. I hear at Ames Campground they said cars and people in the water and flooding at Jellystone and near Hawkins Pond. Sounds pretty serious. My brotherinlaw and family returned from camping at the White Mountains today due to the rain and the river floodings. Take care everyone up there especially driving near flooded areas, and please keep the kids away from the culverts and rivers.
Thank you Lin for mentioning the trees. With the ground saturated and many trees pre-stressed by the many high wind events of this summer, it won't take as much wind to bring them down anymore. They will uproot easily in wet soil, and many will break readily if they have already experienced high wind recently. There have been reports of trees down/across wires even on nice days, most likely due to damage the tree had taken on a stormy day without falling at that time.

Also there have been many road washouts in northwestern NH as you mentioned, and more will probably occur. In Maine they are now discouraging people from getting on the rivers because the water level is very high and flow is becoming fast.

Black Cat Is. Wx has just reached the 1-inch rainfall total for the day, all of which has fallen since 5 pm. This brings the total for the first seven days of August to 3.25 inches. The normal monthly total at Concord Airport is 3.32 inches. We will reach and surpass that, within the next hour.

The lightning at the lake has been nonstop since about 530 pm. Very frequent cloud-to-ground, sometimes three or four at a time, over different places. The sky is alive with electricity, mostly to the south of here but not far. Bear Island has been hit several times, and I saw one hit Three Mile.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:27 PM   #9
Lin

CLA, apparently there have been a lot of lightening strikes according to the region. I hear a lot of towns going to a heavy fire in a shed a Petal Pushers in Laconia Parade Road. Also have heard a lot of rescues from swollen streams and stranded motorists in the roads or parking lots and a lost kid on Mt. Major which they just located as I write this. Sounds wicked crazy up there right now. Also heard that they called in more dispatchers for lakes region fire dispatch. Definitely worth listening to. Hear is the link to WMUR already on the flooding calls http://www.wmur.com/weather/17124596/detail.html# with a photo from their cam of Meridith near the bayside Inn
Old 08-07-2008, 07:02 PM   #10
phoenix

most of moultonboro just had a 3-4 hour power outage due to a down tree on rt25. most restaurants ended up closing including our attempt to go to the woodshed
Old 08-07-2008, 07:09 PM   #11
Lin

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
most of moultonboro just had a 3-4 hour power outage due to a down tree on rt25. most restaurants ended up closing including our attempt to go to the woodshed

We've been listening to http://www.lrmfa.org/gateway.htm and the firetrucks are even having a hard time finding ways to and from calls because of all the flooding and washed out roads around Laconia, Meredith and other towns. Sounds like phenominal rains with more to come looking at the radar.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:27 PM   #12
CanisLupusArctos

Default Backlogged calls

I would imagine the fire departments have backlogged calls now. According to the National Weather Service, Rt. 3, Parade Road, and Pease Road in Laconia have all been closed as of an hour ago. Cars are reported washed away.

In addition to all this water, the cloud-ground lightning has only now just let up after an amazing continuous three-hour zapping of this area. I would imagine there has been a lot of lightning damage around the lakes region today.

Now at Black Cat Wx, 1.76 inches of rain since 5 pm with heavy rain falling. There is a frog swimming in the basement. Ribbit.

Last edited by CanisLupusArctos; 08-07-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:03 PM   #13
Scott

Thumbs up

My god what an awesome storm!!

I have some pretty creepy video showing strong rotation that passed directly overhead that nearly sent me running. If it wasn't for radar I would have had no clue as to what direction the storm was actually moving.

Also have some video of some flooding near the Naswa- a place I've never seen flood in the 23 years I've lived here.

I'm trying to figure out how to share this stuff. Youtube lowers the quality to worthless and the files are a rather large 38MB each. Too big to attach here and too big of a drain on my hosting account if even a moderate number of people view them.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:07 PM   #14
CanisLupusArctos

Default Fatality

Just called in to the NWS with my rain total of 1.91" for the evening (it's over now.) The guy told me there has been a flooding fatality in Ashland tonight as a family tried to leave a campground their car was swept away by a flash flood of a stream. All but their little girl were rescued.

Scott, I've believe it (rotation.) Judging by the amount of lightning this thing had, I would surmise that it had a great deal of turbulence. This was some of the most incredible lightning I've ever seen. At several points during the storm I saw lightning hit Bear Island in 2 places, Weirs Beach, and Meredith Neck in 2 or 3 places all within a split second of each other. And that sort of behavior kept happening. I think Bear Is. got hit at least 10 time tonight... Black Cat once... Three Mile, once or twice... Meredith Neck, a million times... All told, it was constant lightning and constant thunder for three hours. The silence now is noticeable.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:15 PM   #15
Resident 2B

Tonight's weather was much more than I ever expceted, tonight.

Good luck and best wishes to all the were negatively impacted.

I love weather, but I hate to see good people negatively impacted by weather.

R2B
Old 08-07-2008, 09:29 PM   #16
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanisLupusArctos View Post
Scott, I've believe it (rotation.) Judging by the amount of lightning this thing had, I would surmise that it had a great deal of turbulence. This was some of the most incredible lightning I've ever seen. At several points during the storm I saw lightning hit Bear Island in 2 places, Weirs Beach, and Meredith Neck in 2 or 3 places all within a split second of each other. And that sort of behavior kept happening. I think Bear Is. got hit at least 10 time tonight... Black Cat once... Three Mile, once or twice... Meredith Neck, a million times... All told, it was constant lightning and constant thunder for three hours. The silence now is noticeable.
Yes.. the lightning was amazing. I wish the storm had come at night so I could have tried snapping some lightning photos.

3.28" of rain over here according to my station. Never had that much rain so fast before. As bad as it was, hard to believe places just to the west got almost twice that amount. That storm sat over there for a quite a while before sliding east.

Radar estimated precipitation map is attached. Sometimes they are fairly inaccurate but for this storm it appears dead-on.
Attached Images

Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:33 PM   #17
jetskier

Default Road Washouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Yes.. the lightning was amazing. I wish the storm had come at night so I could have tried snapping some lightning photos.

3.28" of rain over here according to my station. Never had that much rain so fast before. As bad as it was, hard to believe places just to the west got almost twice that amount. That storm sat over there for a quite a while before sliding east.

Radar estimated precipitation map is attached. Sometimes they are fairly inaccurate but for this storm it appears dead-on.
We just came up from MA and there are a number of road washouts. We missed the weather, but the after effect is pretty spectacular. There is a washout on route 106 just south of the prison. Within South Down there is a washout on Outerbridge Road (passible) and Davidson (by the pond).

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:24 PM   #18
CanisLupusArctos

Default Watch WMUR

Channel 9 has reported many more washouts than I thought existed. They are doing a special report tonight on it. At one point Laconia officials had told them all major roads in and out of Laconia were closed... now it is down to "most."

WMUR is also reporting that the Weirs Beach Boardwalk, adjacent road, and adjacent railroad tracks have all washed out, at the docks. The railroad tracks have also been washed out in Meredith at Winona Road (WMUR had video of the tracks suspended in mid-air with all the earth underneath them missing.)

There are many more roads on WMUR's list of closures tonight.

The storms have dried up. We'll see them again with daytime heating tomorrow.

A flash flood watch has been issued for most of the state including the lakes region for tomorrow as a result. There is nowhere for any more rain to go. A general (areal) flood watch has been issued for the seacoast.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:44 PM   #19
Resident 2B

Default Weirs Wash Out

You can see five or more feet under the tracks at the Weirs, from what I am told..

Huge washout! Right into the lake

This report is from my son, backed up by my wife, who picked him up at the Weirs saying it was a huge wash-out of the tracks.

R2B
Old 08-08-2008, 07:23 AM   #20
CanisLupusArctos

The lake level is now at approximately 504.4... visual estimate. It was only three (?) months ago that it was officially at this level and what I see now matches my mental picture of what it looked like then.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:43 AM   #21
hilltopper

We had 3 lightning strikes that were incredibly close (we're across Route 25 from Meredith Neck). One blew out a few lightbulbs in our Great Room as I was standing there. The other two you could fell hitting wherever they hit.

The amount of rain was amazing. Apparently I have more roof leaks in the house than I do the barn. One of the oddest things I saw in this storm was the absolute lack of wind. Due to the lack of wind and the heavy rain, I had water coming down multiple chimneys in the house. Hadn't ssen that happen yet.

Any property damage is quickly put into perspective when you hear about the Ashland fatality.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:08 AM   #22
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
You can see five or more feet under the tracks at the Weirs, from what I am told..

R2B
Same along Waukewan St in Meredith. In two different spots there is about a 4 foot washout under the tracks. the tracks are just hanging there.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:46 PM   #23
CanisLupusArctos

Default It's happening again...

Yesterday's weather may be repeating this afternoon but in different places. For the last half hour or so I have been watching an area of stationary showers and thunderstorms from southeastern Belknap Co. down to Machester, just east of Concord. Stationary is not good. They are showing as heavy rain on the radar.

Also some very heavy rain now moving east from Lebanon and should be in the Lakes Region within the hour. This may affect the same damaged areas as yesterday. Damage may be made worse, and more washouts may occur where crews have not had time to check for unstable roads that didn't actually wash out yesterday.

In other words, this is a good afternoon to stay home, or to be well away from water flow paths.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:56 PM   #24
CanisLupusArctos

Default Very Strange!

The low level cloud motion over the lake is SE to NW, but the average storm direction as indicated by radar is W to E. Wonder if this thing will develop some rotation? Can only watch and wait. In the meantime it is getting very dark on the southern side of the lake, especially over Meredith. Thunder rumbling. Wind strengthening out of the east.

UPDATE Flash Flood Warning for Northwestern Belknap County just issued. Storms are moving slowly west to east.

Lake level this morning according to my gauge is 2 inches above full.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:29 PM   #25
Resident 2B

Radar shows a "wall-of-water" coming right at the lake. I agree with CLA about places that got damaged yesterday are likely to see more damage.

Be safe everyone!

R2B
Old 08-08-2008, 06:31 PM   #26
CanisLupusArctos

Default Over

The sun is coming out at Black Cat. Radar shows the back edge of the rainfall quickly approaching and the moderate rainfall over Carroll and Belknap counties in the last hour has suddenly dried up to light.

Moderate rain continues to fall in southeastern Belknap county and this is moving toward the far eastern end of the lake and Maine border there.

The lakes region is clearing!
Old 08-09-2008, 07:13 AM   #27
phoenix

CLA i know that in June I asked if it would ever rain again as our garden and lawn were brown but i surrender
Old 08-09-2008, 10:01 PM   #28
CanisLupusArctos

Ahhhh, so it's YOUR fault....

August is currently the third wettest month of 2008 at Black Cat. Only one month of 2007 was wetter. We're at four and a half inches for the month, and the wettest month so far this year was 6.11. We're a little over an inch and a half away and this month is only 9 days old. The remaining three weeks of this month will either be abnormally dry, or else August stands a good chance of being the wettest month of the year so far. It's looking very unlikely that the rest of this month will be abnormally dry.

Enjoy the first part of tomorrow. More rain is coming in for tomorrow night and Monday. We might get an inch out of that--we'll see. This time instead of thunderstorms from a frontal boundary it will be from a low pressure system diving southeast through NY state that will turn northeast when it hits the NJ coast.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:09 AM   #29
CanisLupusArctos

Default Flash Flood Watch

Just what you wanted to hear -- The National Weather Service in Gray ME issued a flash flood watch for all of the state except the seacoast for today.

Thunderstorms are expected to develop with the heat of the day and may be slow-moving. There is nowhere for a thunderstorm's heavy rain to go because the ground is already saturated and streams are already running high. It will not take much to create a sudden flood.

Remember a flash flood is different from a general (area-wide) flood -- it can make a normally unnoticeable stream become a raging rapid within minutes, capable of washing across a road, sweeping away a car, or creating a large washout. It will give you very little, if any, time to react. A flash flood watch means it is possible within the area. Have a NOAA Weather Radio receiver or stay tuned to local radio or TV stations for warnings -- if a warning is issued for your area, it means the potential is becoming reality. Heed the advice of warnings.

Also a threat for today: Hail. The freezing level is at a low altitude.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:10 PM   #30
gravy boat

Default Whoa

Some interesting weather out there earlier today. We were over near Meredith Neck a bit before noon and noticed a dark cloud forming rapidly over the Glendale area. We were anchored, but kept our eyes open. Within 20 minutes we thought it best to head toward shore. Within 10 minutes we arrived at Glendale and the rain was already coming down heavily. Once we saw the cloud to lake/ground lightning ahead, we knew we had better just tie up at the Glendale docks (space permitting) and wait until it passed...thank goodness there were several spots open. The dive boat was next to us and they started out a few times only to stop due to continually developing storms overhead and much lightning.

I can honestly say that I have never seen a quicker developing storm than today's.

After 45 years on the lake I'm still learning about the rapid weather changes.
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:37 PM   #31
Newcomers

Default Docks & Lake Level question

This is my first summer on the Lake! Like the rest of you, I have been watching the Lake level rise this past week to the point where the boats will soon be above the docks planks. The slightest wave is washing over them now - how long does it take for the Lake to go down? Can they release water from the Lake without endangering people/property downstream?

With the Lake as high as it is, Boaters should be cautioned about watching their speed and consequential wakes as it could cause damage to boats tied up. I see a number of boats moving pretty fast within 150' of shore in Moultonborough Bay area.
Newcomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:52 PM   #32
NHKathy

Default What a Week!

We go up on some weekends throughout the year; but our full week up is always end of July/beginning of Aug. We are usually very lucky with the weather for our week there - woah, not this year!
We arrived Friday, 8/1 and the remainder of Friday and Saturday were both fairly good (but chilly for August!), but then...
Sunday (8/3) -rainy and then stormy - lost power for over 5 hours!
Monday, saw some sun for about 1 1/2 hrs, but was very breezy, so therefore cool again...
Tues-Fri --I don't even remember seeing much of the sun at all! Funny part is that on Monday night, WMUR was forcasting Tuesday as being the "pick of the week" with some sun and dry; but we were socked in fog all day and it was drizzly! Wed - rainy all day, Thurs & Fri -storms in the afternoon!
Saturday, of course the day we were leaving - Sunny and beautiful! (glad i mostly packed up on Friday night while it was rainy) I enjoyed the sun until I left!

What a week!
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:20 PM   #33
Resident 2B

Newcomers,

They are releasing about 1,000 cubic feet per second at the Lakeport Dam today. They can and likely will increase that, but it does raise the water levels downstream.

Here is a clickable map that you can use to see what is going on at the dam and how high the lake is. http://www2.des.state.nh.us/RTi_Home/winni.asp

In my opinion, the lake will continue to rise, perhaps another 4" to 6". In the past, there have been boating restrictions when the lake is high. This ofter moves the No Wkae Zone out 500' from shore. We will come close to the level that this restriction is employed, in my opinion.

R2B
Old 08-11-2008, 08:14 AM   #34
Squam Friend

Squam went up over a foot this week (six inches yesterday alone) to bring it past the State's Summer Level to above Spring High Water. And with the saturated ground, continued rain, and raging streams that feed the lake, it will likely keep going up to near record levels (not just August record levels). It looks like the dam has been opened up, but I imagine there is concern for the downstream levels especially in light of recent events in Ashland. I think at this level the water is going over the top of the dam... how's that ark coming?
Squam Friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:49 AM   #35
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHKathy View Post

We go up on some weekends throughout the year; but our full week up is always end of July/beginning of Aug. We are usually very lucky with the weather for our week there - woah, not this year!
We arrived Friday, 8/1 and the remainder of Friday and Saturday were both fairly good (but chilly for August!), but then...
Sunday (8/3) -rainy and then stormy - lost power for over 5 hours!
Monday, saw some sun for about 1 1/2 hrs, but was very breezy, so therefore cool again...
Tues-Fri --I don't even remember seeing much of the sun at all! Funny part is that on Monday night, WMUR was forcasting Tuesday as being the "pick of the week" with some sun and dry; but we were socked in fog all day and it was drizzly! Wed - rainy all day, Thurs & Fri -storms in the afternoon!
Saturday, of course the day we were leaving - Sunny and beautiful! (glad i mostly packed up on Friday night while it was rainy) I enjoyed the sun until I left!

What a week!
I had that same exact week...and it was rather disheartening to be loading the car on Saturday morning, realizing that it would be a glorious day. On the bright side, I'm headed back up on Friday (although with the current trend, I ain't counting on any sunny days!).

Lots of interesting mushrooms!
Old 08-13-2008, 12:16 AM   #36
Orion

Default leveled out

The lake seems to have held steady over the last 24 hrs. Hope it starts to go down now. Weather outlook is actually glorious compared to what we've just gone through.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:39 PM   #37
CanisLupusArctos

As of today, Black Cat Wx has received 6.38 inches of rain for the month -- in less than two weeks. This amount makes August 2008 the wettest month since October 2006, when we got 7.65 inches of rain.

I spent the last few days at a friends' house on Wells Beach, Maine. The flow there was onshore most of the time, and that killed all the thunderstorms that tried to approach from the inland side. We got very little rain there, except when a thunderstorm backed in off the ocean at us. I have returned home find new canyons in the yard. It's time to get the weights on the end of the dock.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:52 PM   #38
Mr Port Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
I had that same exact week...and it was rather disheartening to be loading the car on Saturday morning, realizing that it would be a glorious day. On the bright side, I'm headed back up on Friday (although with the current trend, I ain't counting on any sunny days!).

Lots of interesting mushrooms!
Same here I left Gilford in great sun light after 10 days of rain, but as my granny Jennie used to say "bad day at the lake beats a good day at work"!
Mr Port Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:48 PM   #39
CanisLupusArctos

Default Clear Air Mode

After all we've been though for the last month or so, it sure is good to look up at the sky and see crystal-clear stars, and is good to look at the national radar loop and see that all the northeastern radar sites are now operating in "clear air mode" (a ring of echoes from ground-based obstacles visible due to the radar being set on super-sensitive.) When was the last time any radar site around here operated in clear-air mode? Or when we saw the stars?

Dewpoint now in the mid-40s, feels like fall. The evaporative effect on the lake surface will draw down the temperature, but will also help the level drop more quickly.