Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2017, 08:18 PM   #1
NoBozo

Default Sailing

No matter what size sailboat you have, you have to appreciate the boats that other people have. I do. That's the way I look at it anyhow. NB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8w6AL_VlAs

Not about the Lake..? OK, I get it. But lets look at some things outside the lake once in awhile....Just for Fun...
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
Broken Glass (01-20-2017), chasedawg (01-18-2017), Dave R (01-19-2017), FlyingScot (01-19-2017), onceMeg (01-20-2017), Woody38 (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 08:47 PM   #2
Woody38

Thanks for the post.

Beautiful boats all of them.

Love to visit Providence, RI and view the yachts visiting.

I have never sailed and have been amazed by some of the power yachts also.

I am retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:59 PM   #3
NoBozo

Default The J Class

The J Class Yachts were THE Americas Cup boats from 1930 to 1937. They were about 130 feet long. There were only Seven J Class Yachts built..although there were about 20 designs drawn up. There are more replicas today than originals. NB

PS: The J Class Yachts shown in the video now use the latest technology..Carbon Fiber, Kevlar...etc. The mast, rigging, is no longer aluminum and wire.... Everything is Carbon Fiber.

Last edited by NoBozo; 01-17-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:17 AM   #4
Pineedles

These are beautiful sailing machines. Loved seeing them when I was in Newport couple of years back.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:26 PM   #5
chasedawg

Default J boats

Beautiful sailing machines. Sailed onboard J boat two summers ago in Newport. Incredible speed.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2017, 10:42 AM   #6
FlyingScot

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
The J Class Yachts were THE Americas Cup boats from 1930 to 1937. They were about 130 feet long. There were only Seven J Class Yachts built..although there were about 20 designs drawn up. There are more replicas today than originals. NB

PS: The J Class Yachts shown in the video now use the latest technology..Carbon Fiber, Kevlar...etc. The mast, rigging, is no longer aluminum and wire.... Everything is Carbon Fiber.
Just gorgeous. Also a pleasure to see such good sportsmanship and races of boats that are at least approximately identical. It's too bad that the America's Cup has become more about engineering and finance than it is about sailing on the water. These guys in the video are the real deal.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 07:36 PM   #7
NoBozo

Default Notice...

These boats have no Advertising. They are privately owned. This is the way it was in 1937. The cost of building and sailing one of these boats today is about 15 to 20 Million dollars. USD NB
Old 01-20-2017, 11:13 AM   #8
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
Just gorgeous. Also a pleasure to see such good sportsmanship and races of boats that are at least approximately identical. It's too bad that the America's Cup has become more about engineering and finance than it is about sailing on the water. These guys in the video are the real deal.
These J-boats are majestic and a joy to see, but I think the current America's Cup boats are awesome and I love all the engineering. I am pretty sure they are all identical too...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:16 PM   #9
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
These J-boats are majestic and a joy to see, but I think the current America's Cup boats are awesome and I love all the engineering. I am pretty sure they are all identical too...
Agreed that the America's Cup boats are awesome. I do not mean to be critical of them--the improvements in speed are breath-taking. But as you note--the engineering is huge. Each team is spending millions of dollars in collaboration with auto, aerospace, IT and other corporate partners to insure that the boats are not identical.

So the J-boats are a more pure sailing on the water competition. I don't mean necessarily "better" than an engineering/sailing competition. It's kind of apples and oranges.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:15 PM   #10
NoBozo

Default "Med Moored"

In the Med, (Mediterranean), docking is limited. The harbors are small. Back in the day, (1960) when I was in the Navy, on board a Destroyer Tender, we Med Moored... in Naples.

A Med Moor is stern to the Mole, a wall, with an anchor or mooring buoy out from the bow. Just remembering. NB
Old 01-26-2017, 04:50 AM   #11
ApS

Arrow Sails Have Generated Horsepower by the Thousands...

New Herreshoff website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
No matter what size sailboat you have, you have to appreciate the boats that other people have. I do. That's the way I look at it anyhow. NB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8w6AL_VlAs

Not about the Lake..? OK, I get it. But lets look at some things outside the lake once in awhile....Just for Fun...
I've been to Palma de Mallorca—a beautiful harbor, but sure has gotten crowded since I was there!

'Never seen a 12-meter yacht so, among 20 million other visitors, the USS Constitution and Charles W. Morgan will have to do:
https://www.mysticseaport.org/explore/morgan/

Thanks for keeping the boating forum alive and moving while Lake Winnipesaukee's winter boating is "inadvisable".

BTW: In Wolfeboro, I picked up a 10-inch brass ship's clinometer last summer. Is this something you'd find on an America's Cup 12-meter?

'Maximum inline is 70° — seems "inadvisable" in itself!

Attached Images

Last edited by ApS; 03-13-2017 at 04:30 AM. Reason: add new Herreshoff website
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:03 AM   #12
fatlazyless

If anyone is serious about buying a small sailboat, 12' - 16', there's a craigslist-small sailboat business in Mashpee, Massachusetts, on Cape Cod who right now has a pretty big selection of used sailboats for about $500-1500 each. Now is a good time to buy......prices are low winter prices.....prices will be going up on March 1.

He, Derek, has a number of ads in the Cape Cod craigslist. At least one of his ads says that prices will be going up by 40% in March?

Sometimes you find an older boat with a good hull, mast, centerboard, rudder-tiller, stays, pulley-fittings and the sail is old and worn pretty thin ..... so's you probably need to go buy a new sail and get to choose the new sail color-design.

Do not know if the Mass 6.25% sales tax applies to sailboats like this for use in New Hampshire?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-26-2017 at 09:15 AM.
fatlazyless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:15 PM   #13
NoBozo

Default My Wife and I..(over 50 years...)

We have been going up to an overlook of the entrance to Newport Harbor for years...every Sunday during the summer.. We have an umbrella and our two chairs.....and carrying the Sunday Providence Journal if we get bored.

Yesterday we were about to leave......and behold...BIG Sails coming in. Four BIG sloops with black sails. The same J-Class boats in the first post. What a great end to a Sundays relax at the overlook. NB