Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
chocophile

Default Water Hose Left In Over Winter

Our seasonal camp draws water from the lake using a black "plastic" hose. Since we bought the house 13 years ago, I've always removed the hose when we close up for the fall, but I know lots of people leave their hoses in all winter.

Our shore line is on an open bay and is exposed to NW wind. I'm concerned that a hose left in over the winter could get embedded in a sheet of ice and break off or move.

I'm not interested in heating the line during the winter.

Any experience with leaving a hose in all winter? Thanks in advance.
chocophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
Chaselady

We leave ours in, been doing it for 25+ years. Some of it runs under the ground, not deep, just enough so we don't trip over it.
We do, however, drain the house in the fall and get enough water out of the pipe so whatever is left has room to expand if it freezes.
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaselady For This Useful Post:
chocophile (09-17-2013)
Old 09-16-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
Coolbreeze

The black plastic becomes brittle in the cold, so don't run over it with trucks or snow machines. It needs to be drained, we blow air through ours to make sure. We cap off the ends with screening so critters don't look for a home but it still drains of condensation. Otherwise in the spring and the start of the season we find air leaks at the fittings and over the years pin holes develop in areas; these cause the prime to be lost if you can even get it. Otherwise leave it out.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
hazelnut

For the 10 years I was on Cow myself and as far as I know all of my neighbors removed the hoses. I think it was the best way to make sure that all of the water was drained. If you are in a windy area I might worry about the ice ripping the hose in half as you said. I think the hose is cheap enough to warrant an experiment on your part. Just be ready in the spring with plan B.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:31 AM   #5
ApS

Lightbulb It's better water!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocophile View Post
Our seasonal camp draws water from the lake using a black "plastic" hose. Since we bought the house 13 years ago, I've always removed the hose when we close up for the fall, but I know lots of people leave their hoses in all winter.

Our shore line is on an open bay and is exposed to NW wind. I'm concerned that a hose left in over the winter could get embedded in a sheet of ice and break off or move.

I'm not interested in heating the line during the winter.

Any experience with leaving a hose in all winter? Thanks in advance.
Hose? Pipe? Water-Line?

• There are different "plastics": Does your hose line have a gloss-black finish, very hard to bend—and does it float in water?

• If it sounds like the same material, our former neighbors left their "plastic" hose line floating in the lake—exposed to both North and NW winter winds—for nearly 60 years. After replacing a steel pipe—about 40 years ago—we've done the same with our "plastic" line—but weighted with bricks.

• This kind of sturdy "plastic" line is not readily available in the South, and is just about the only product that doesn't get chewed to pieces by Red Squirrels.

• The new buyer-neighbor hooked up to a new drilled well, but there have been "well-issues". Last week, they sought my advice on changing-back to water from the lake!

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
chocophile (09-17-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #6
chocophile

Default "Plastic" Hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Hose? Pipe? Water-Line?

It seems like very durable material that could take some stress from the ice.

I agree that lake water is the best (with a good treatment system).

Thanks for the comments.
chocophile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chocophile For This Useful Post:
hazelnut (09-18-2013)