Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-17-2016, 09:47 PM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts
Default Weak Bike Week?

I know this is a topic of contention, but we just arrived at our camp (Friday night) in Moultonborough after driving through Tilton, Laconia, Gilford, Meredith, and Center Harbor (we had to pick stuff up) and 1. There weren't many bikes at all, 2. There were TONS of police, 3. I just read the article about Laconiafest's ridiculously underachieving crowds.

I've loved the week since I was a kid (and rider), but this year seems very weak?

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:16 AM   #2
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

The attendance at Bike Week has been declining for years. It is now a shadow of what it once was. It is a hard number to define but I would be surprised if the number of Laconia visitors this year was 10% of the number of people that were here 20 to 30 years ago.

There are a number of factors including the ridiculous number of police assigned and the stale nature of the event. Many people thought that Laconia Fest would revive it but that is obviously not the case.

I think it is time to put a fork in it and it another 10 years it will no longer exist. That will put further strain on the Weirs area businesses who really need the additional income to survive.
TiltonBB is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Micker (06-18-2016)
Old 06-18-2016, 06:27 AM   #3
Merrymeeting

Driving around this week, we haven't seen anywhere near the number of riders that we normally saw in the past. I've also noticed that the non-stop rumble of thunder in the background has been non-existent this year. In other years, there was always a continuous rumble in the distance that would sound like an approaching storm. Not this year.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
ApS (06-18-2016), WINNOCTURN (06-18-2016)
Old 06-18-2016, 06:44 AM   #4
Fargo

Every year the Rally officials blame lack of attendance on the weather or the dates were confusing, or another event was taking place or too many cops around. You have a bunch of amateurs running the event/Weirs Beach into the ground. Move the event to the Speedway in Loudon and let the pros do it up right! Even the beach is closed this week due to pollution. Terrific.
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:02 AM   #5
Dave R

The traditional attendees are getting older and less active and there's not much in Laconia to draw younger folks in. Perhaps the return of AMA sanctioned road races at Loudon would bring the younger generation back in. Loudon will be hosting AMA Supermoto races starting tomorrow, and from what I have heard, they have made improvements to the road racing track specifically to bring an AMA road race back. While not as popular as NASCAR, AMA road races are very well attended at other race tracks. It's probably easy to forget, but Laconia bike week was originally all about the racing. Today, it's irrelevant to 90% of the bike week attendees.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
ApS (06-18-2016), Scott's Yott (06-18-2016), WINNOCTURN (06-18-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2016, 12:00 PM   #6
Hillcountry

Laconia is dead...long live Sturgis!
Laconia had it's best years in the 60's and earlier when you could camp on 106.
Been nothing but a family affair since...ptooey! Let it die.
Not to mention the "fest fiasco" that just took place..
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:36 PM   #7
mbr

Good riddance. The only ones who care about noise week are the ones making a few bucks from it.
Maybe if the bikes weren't so obnoxiously loud, they would be more welcomed.
mbr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbr For This Useful Post:
GodSmile (06-19-2016), secondcurve (06-19-2016)
Old 06-18-2016, 04:59 PM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,380 Times in 956 Posts

I think when it went to a week instead of just a weekend, it lost some of it's attraction.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (06-19-2016), Smith Point (06-19-2016)
Old 06-18-2016, 06:08 PM   #9
jetskier

Post Agreed

Originally, motorcycle week was motorcycle weekend and it was a coordinated event with the flat track racing at Laconia Speedway. Over time it expanded to motorcycle week.

My observations of the current motorcycle week are as follows:
  1. The demographics this weekend verses through Thursday are very different. During the week the crowd appeared to be the 50 to 70 year old demographic. As of yesterday, a younger crowd appeared. It is unclear whether this is a more local crowd.
  2. I think that the younger group (which has become the target of marketing and rejuvenation) is more of a working group and less likely to take the work week off to attend motorcycle week.
  3. The cost of attending motorcycle week is significant and I believe that in this weaker economy there are more weekenders and day trippers.
  4. It appears that the primary events are the riding events (such as the Vet/MIA ride) and hitting watering holes. That seems consistent with the older demographic.
  5. I think that the venue for Laconiafest is of issue. As previously indicated, Laconia Speedway might have fared much better. Most locals avoid the Weirs during motorcycle week, parking and traffic are of issue. The drive-in is not the best venue for this type of thing...limited seating...difficult access etc...I would not even want to think about what it would take to get 33,000 people out of the venue at the end of a concert. Personally, I might be inclined to take in a concert at Laconia Speedway or Bank of NH Pavilion...the Weirs, no way.
  6. Attendance for motorcycle rallies appears to be declining in general. I looked at Sturgis and with the exception of last year (75th anniversary), attendance has been declining annually.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:42 PM   #10
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
Originally, motorcycle week was motorcycle weekend and it was a coordinated event with the flat track racing at Laconia Speedway. Over time it expanded to motorcycle week.

My observations of the current motorcycle week are as follows:
[LIST=1][*]The demographics this weekend verses through Thursday are very different. During the week the crowd appeared to be the 50 to 70 year old demographic.
That is all I read.... (Life) is Bliss... isn't it ???
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:47 PM   #11
NoBozo

Default Biker Vs Motorcyclist

I am a Motorcyclist. My wife and I rode from 1979 to 1996. We did THREE cross countries...to the west coast... the longest being 11,000 miles in one trip. We did Canada, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick..etc multiple times.. We have a total of maybe 220,000 miles of touring. Sun and Rain.

We no longer ride. We are getting old. In our seventies. IF we were to Go Down at our age we would die. I think a lot of other motorcyclists our age think the same way.

No more Gold Wings on the road. Just Harley's. When Harley's went to Sturgis..they TOWED the bike on a trailer....Pussies with tattoos...YUP... NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (06-19-2016)
Old 06-18-2016, 07:21 PM   #12
Bigstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I am a Motorcyclist. My wife and I rode from 1979 to 1996. We did THREE cross countries...to the west coast... the longest being 11,000 miles in one trip. We did Canada, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick..etc multiple times.. We have a total of maybe 220,000 miles of touring. Sun and Rain.

We no longer ride. We are getting old. In our seventies. IF we were to Go Down at our age we would die. I think a lot of other motorcyclists our age think the same way.

No more Gold Wings on the road. Just Harley's. When Harley's went to Sturgis..they TOWED the bike on a trailer....Pussies with tattoos...YUP... NB
Wow. Better get me an Indian.
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:08 AM   #13
Fargo

The Rally has seen better days, move it elsewhere and let the Weirs prosper! Why Laconia doesn't encourage the development of all the vacant lots at Weirs is beyond me. Develop those lots with buildings, create jobs and have structures that could bring in more tax revenue than an empty lot. Maybe the existing buildings would be improved to be taxed at a higher rate, attract more people/businesses to the Weirs. Make Weirs Great Again!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fargo For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (06-19-2016), Resident 2B (06-20-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 06:31 AM   #14
noreast

Quote:

WOOOOWW, you need a trike!
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noreast For This Useful Post:
Winnisquamer (07-05-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 07:05 AM   #15
kbh

Quote:

Wow, strong words! I own 3 Harley's, my wife and I have been to Sturgis twice, we rode the bikes out and back each time. We also rode out to the Grand Canyon and back. All this and I don't even own a bike trailer, nor do I have a tattoo. Not sure who you were riding with but you have the wrong impression...
kbh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kbh For This Useful Post:
Reilly (06-20-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 08:29 AM   #16
MeredithMan

Default Time to take out the trash....

My 20 year old daughter has a summer job waitressing at the Akwa Marina Beach Bar restaurant. She and another girl finished their shift yesterday at 4PM. She called and asked if it would be ok to walk down to The Weirs to check out the sights, since she had never seen "bike week" up close before. We said sure, just be vigilant.

She called back a little while later on her way back to Meredith and was clearly upset. As she and her friend were walking back to the Akwa parking lot, they passed a couple of "sketchy guys", (her words), that she described as having gray pony tails and beards, ("Dad, they were wicked old...older than you!), who were just sitting on the side of the road. As they walked past, the dudes said, "hey girls, show us your _____". What my daughter and her friend found really gross, was that they weren't talking about their chests, but other body parts. They hurried on their way and got into their cars.

I totally get that this was only two guys out of the thousands that attend. I also get that there are plenty of motorcycle enthusiasts that enjoy riding. Totally fine. But, it cannot be denied that "bike week" attracts many, many dregs. Is this is the type of tourist that the lakes region wants to attract? Dirty old perverts? Really? It's time for this whole event to go out with the trash.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post:
ApS (06-19-2016), bresett (06-20-2016), Fargo (06-19-2016), GodSmile (06-19-2016), Reilly (06-20-2016), Resident 2B (06-19-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 10:43 AM   #17
NoBozo

....just a little tongue and cheek "ribbing" of fellow enthusiasts. BTW, I have two tattoos I got when I was 17. NB
Old 06-19-2016, 11:00 AM   #18
kbh

Quote:
....just a little tongue and cheek "ribbing" of fellow enthusiasts. BTW, I have two tattoos I got when I was 17. NB
Well, thats entirely different... I certainly agree with your thoughts on the "trailer crowd"...

Blue Skies...
Old 06-19-2016, 11:12 AM   #19
kbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
My 20 year old daughter has a summer job waitressing at the Akwa Marina Beach Bar restaurant. She and another girl finished their shift yesterday at 4PM. She called and asked if it would be ok to walk down to The Weirs to check out the sights, since she had never seen "bike week" up close before. We said sure, just be vigilant.

She called back a little while later on her way back to Meredith and was clearly upset. As she and her friend were walking back to the Akwa parking lot, they passed a couple of "sketchy guys", (her words), that she described as having gray pony tails and beards, ("Dad, they were wicked old...older than you!), who were just sitting on the side of the road. As they walked past, the dudes said, "hey girls, show us your _____". What my daughter and her friend found really gross, was that they weren't talking about their chests, but other body parts. They hurried on their way and got into their cars.

I totally get that this was only two guys out of the thousands that attend. I also get that there are plenty of motorcycle enthusiasts that enjoy riding. Totally fine. But, it cannot be denied that "bike week" attracts many, many dregs. Is this is the type of tourist that the lakes region wants to attract? Dirty old perverts? Really? It's time for this whole event to go out with the trash.
I have been to the Sturgis rally twice (once with my daughter who also rides) and will go back, we really enjoy the rides, scenery and events at Sturgis... I don't go to the Laconia bike week anymore, as I just don't enjoy it.

Surgis has much more land area and the organizer's have figured out how to spread out and take advantage of the space. You can find whatever you want at the Sturgis rally, if you are there for the scenery and the rides, you know where to go and if you don't want to be harassed you know where to stay away from. If you are looking for that entertainment, rather then sit along the road and harass the local girls, you know where to go to find the entertainment you are looking for. Everyone wins and all types can find an enjoyable rally experience.

Laconia tends to push everyone into the Weirs, that doesn't work well...
Old 06-19-2016, 12:46 PM   #20
Tank151

Default Glad their off the road

Quote:

With dumb comments like this, I'm glad this guy and his wife are off the road (motorcyclist).
Tank151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:33 PM   #21
NoBozo

Default Indian Motorcycles

Back in the day when Indian and Harley Davidson were pretty much the only choices for American motorcycle buyers: ...Say before 1950. That's a loose date.... Indian was winning most of the races on the track. Some people were referring to Harley as: " Hardly Abelson".

This is History. I have found over the years that most people that ride have little knowledge of the past. Sad.

My last two touring Motorcycles were Yamaha Ventures. My first Venture was a 1983 which we did our first two cross country's and went 123,000 miles. The last Venture was a 1990..We did our last cross country on that one. By then I was feeling age creeping up on me.

We always rode alone. We were not a member of any group. When you go this way..you can go anywhere you want. No need to have a committee meeting. Our first cross country "Theme" was to follow the Oregon Trail as close as we could. We did. We like History.

We did the Oregon Trail..then turned south down the west coast to Needles California where the temperature in the Mojave desert was 115...then up to Grand Canyon where we arrived on July 4. Temp only 100.

We also had a very nice 1956 Ariel Square Four.

Just remembering...NB
Old 06-19-2016, 10:53 PM   #22
Descant

Thanked 1,511 Times in 983 Posts
Default Who's in Charge?

It appears to me that the City of Laconia manages traffic flow and public safety and they do a good job. The revenue from vendor permit fees pays for police overtime. After that, whether true or not, it appears nobody is in charge. For this week(end) to be successful, the Rotary, Chamber of Commerce, etc need coordination. The same weekend, the Nashua Rotary West runs Rock 'n' Ribfest with 40-50'000 visitors. They pay the expenses and coordinate with several safety agencies. In the end, becaused they volunteer hundreds, if not thousands, of man hours, they make a little profit that they turn over to local non-profits like Meals on Wheels.

I never hear about "profit" in Laconia. I know that restaurants and motels (before all the motels went condo) make some money, but really, where is the community benefit?

The city breaks even, the restaurants are busy for two days and the tent vendors come and go, but give nothing back.

If the Meredith Rotary Club can bring in thousands of people for ICE FISHING
isn't there somebody who can do the same for Laconia. (For the oldsters,We need a new Jim Irwin Sr.)
The City Council is not the body to do this, nor should it be. Their job is to make it easy for a citizens group to do the job.

In my community and I expect may others, the Selectmen and the Town budgets, approved by voters, gives a sum to a private committee to run July 4th or Old Home Day.

Laconia should consider this example.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:45 PM   #23
laketrout

A few things here that are making Laconia Bike week = WEAK.

What are the Bike Week #'s today verses say 5,10, 20 years ago? Its gotta be less.

Aging Demographics- Cost of new Harley and the time and money involved.
Todays world is changed..its the older middle aged guy and gals coming up.

Lack of City of Laconia involvement; no Jim Irwin type or other civic leader willing to move the Weirs into the future so the Weirs just flounders.

No Master plan for the Weirs- eventually its going all condos and high
end homes. All that waterfront land brings in more TAX revenue with big
$$$ condos and homes then bikes do.. I know I pay those taxes.

I love the honky tonk atmosphere of Weirs-- brings me back to a more
austere time in my life but "Times are a changing"
Bike week wont die it will just morph into something new.
laketrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:15 PM   #24
mishman

Default Bike week is getting old

I don't mind motorcycles but I take exception to the loud obnoxious ones. Can't understand why police don't ticket aftermarket, non-EPA mufflers.

I would not weep if Bike Week just ended once and for all. It would return the roads to regular people and open up 9 days of early summer to others who would vacation in the Lakes Region at a very nice time of the year. The negative side of Bike Week is it keeps a lot of other, non motor cycling riding tourists away.

I agree that the Weirs needs a better master plan - it could be so much more than it is. There is not a lot of future in the honky tonk feel to the place.
mishman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mishman For This Useful Post:
Billy Bob (06-29-2016), Fargo (06-28-2016), SAMIAM (06-29-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 03:23 PM   #25
Fargo

I'd like to see the city of Laconia put the Rally on the ballot and let the citizens decide to keep this money pit or get rid of it.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:32 PM   #26
MeredithMan

Default LaconiaFest in today's Boston Globe....

in today's Globe.....

In today's Globe...

By Mark Shanahan Globe Staff June 28, 2016

Where’d the money go?

That’s what officials in New Hampshire want to know from the organizers of LaconiaFest, an ill-fated music festival that ended abruptly this month when crowds failed to show up for concerts by the likes of Steven Tyler, Bret Michaels, and Ted Nugent.

Despite the paltry turnout— a performance by Tyler, for example, drew barely 4,000 fans — the city of Laconia is owed more than $60,000 for police, fire, and EMT coverage, and local vendors and a few of the bands say they were stiffed as well.

“We’ve not been able to establish communication with the promoters since June 16,” Laconia City Manager Scott Myers said Monday. “It’s not been for a lack of trying.”

This was the first LaconiaFest and likely the last. Promoter Tyler Glover, who’s been MIA since canceling the final two days of the festival and leaving town, told city officials that more than 30,000 people might attend the nine-day fest. He was optimistic that some of the motorcyclists attending Laconia Bike Week, which was going on at the same time, might come to LaconiaFest to drink beer and listen to Buckcherry. They didn’t.

What was supposed to be a nine-day metal music festival ended two days early and apparently many dollars short.

Attempts to reach Glover were unsuccessful Monday and the festival website and Facebook page have been taken down.

Some bands, including Enemy Remains, actually paid festival organizers to perform only to have the gig canceled. Enemy Remains now wants its money back. Even established acts, like Nugent, had difficulty drawing a crowd. Advance tickets to the Motor City Madman’s concert cost $45, but were sold for $5 on the day of the show.

“You don’t know what kind of crowd you’re going to get when you charge five dollars,” said Myers, explaining the city’s dilemma in determining the appropriate police presence. “You pay more than that to hear a cover band in a local bar.”

James Boffetti, a senior assistant in the New Hampshire Attorney General’s Office and head of consumer protection bureau, said he assigned an investigator to look into LaconiaFest, but he’s not recieved complaints or refund requests from ticketholders.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:38 PM   #27
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
in today's Globe.....

In today's Globe...

By Mark Shanahan Globe Staff June 28, 2016

Where’d the money go?

That’s what officials in New Hampshire want to know from the organizers of LaconiaFest, an ill-fated music festival that ended abruptly this month when crowds failed to show up for concerts by the likes of Steven Tyler, Bret Michaels, and Ted Nugent.

Despite the paltry turnout— a performance by Tyler, for example, drew barely 4,000 fans — the city of Laconia is owed more than $60,000 for police, fire, and EMT coverage, and local vendors and a few of the bands say they were stiffed as well.

“We’ve not been able to establish communication with the promoters since June 16,” Laconia City Manager Scott Myers said Monday. “It’s not been for a lack of trying.”

This was the first LaconiaFest and likely the last. Promoter Tyler Glover, who’s been MIA since canceling the final two days of the festival and leaving town, told city officials that more than 30,000 people might attend the nine-day fest. He was optimistic that some of the motorcyclists attending Laconia Bike Week, which was going on at the same time, might come to LaconiaFest to drink beer and listen to Buckcherry. They didn’t.

What was supposed to be a nine-day metal music festival ended two days early and apparently many dollars short.

Attempts to reach Glover were unsuccessful Monday and the festival website and Facebook page have been taken down.

Some bands, including Enemy Remains, actually paid festival organizers to perform only to have the gig canceled. Enemy Remains now wants its money back. Even established acts, like Nugent, had difficulty drawing a crowd. Advance tickets to the Motor City Madman’s concert cost $45, but were sold for $5 on the day of the show.

“You don’t know what kind of crowd you’re going to get when you charge five dollars,” said Myers, explaining the city’s dilemma in determining the appropriate police presence. “You pay more than that to hear a cover band in a local bar.”

James Boffetti, a senior assistant in the New Hampshire Attorney General’s Office and head of consumer protection bureau, said he assigned an investigator to look into LaconiaFest, but he’s not recieved complaints or refund requests from ticketholders.
Only in Lanconia!! I'm not sure if town officials could successfully manage a lemonade stand. These guys continue to impress to the downside.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:15 PM   #28
SAB1

Another reason the event has gone down hill is there are no real deals there in tents. Years ago you could go up there and get deals on parts like handle bars, exhaust pipes, saddle bags, windshield etc. now the vendors basically are selling at the same prices they retail for. All the tents selling shirts basically all have the same shirts for sale. Just isn't much there unless you want fried dough and a greasy burger.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:46 AM   #29
TiltonBB

Default Not a Money Pit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
I'd like to see the city of Laconia put the Rally on the ballot and let the citizens decide to keep this money pit or get rid of it.

How is it a money pit?

It has been revenue neutral every year except this year when the City Manager screwed up and allowed Laconia Fest to continue without the required deposit.

Even though it is considered revenue neutral by Laconia, the state receives substantial additional income from road tolls, liquor sales, and room and meal taxes.

It allows local businesses to survive with an injection of cash after a long slow winter. Every local business from Shaws to Dairy Queen enjoys additional income because of the influx of tourists. It provides overtime for many public safety workers as well as others such as the DPW, benefiting all of them and their families.

It showcases the lake and the surrounding area to many people who have not been here before and many return with their families to enjoy the area while spending money. In recent years the traffic problems have become almost non- existent as attendance declines.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Gatto Nero (06-29-2016), noreast (06-29-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 10:24 AM   #30
dave603

Default Sounds like it just turned into one

City of Laconia to cover LaconiaFest $63K shortfall
I don't understand how they can say the Tax payers are not paying for it?

http://www.nh1.com/news/city-of-laco...63k-shortfall/
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dave603 For This Useful Post:
Fargo (06-29-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 10:44 AM   #31
noreast

There once was a man from the Big Lake, His favorite rock band was Whitesnake, He went down to bike week, That turned into Trike week, said to his wife"what a mis-take".
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noreast For This Useful Post:
Cobalt 25 (07-13-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 10:44 AM   #32
PENIVISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishman View Post
I don't mind motorcycles but I take exception to the loud obnoxious ones. Can't understand why police don't ticket aftermarket, non-EPA mufflers.

I would not weep if Bike Week just ended once and for all. It would return the roads to regular people and open up 9 days of early summer to others who would vacation in the Lakes Region at a very nice time of the year. The negative side of Bike Week is it keeps a lot of other, non motor cycling riding tourists away.

I agree that the Weirs needs a better master plan - it could be so much more than it is. There is not a lot of future in the honky tonk feel to the place.
I respect your opinion except for your It would return the roads to "regular people" comment. I use to ride and attended motorcycle weekend many times,started a family and turned to fishing and boating. Am I regular people now?
PENIVISA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:05 PM   #33
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave603 View Post

They can say that because it is true.

The Motorcycle Week account is funded by revenue generated by Bike Week from things such as vendor fees. It is not taxpayer money, it is specifically segregated and used only for that purpose. People who would post otherwise are misinformed or pushing their own agenda.

Quote:
LACONIA (AP)
The Laconia Daily Sun reports that the city plans to tap into its Motorcycle Week account that has about $117,822. Mayor Ed Engler says using the account means taxpayers won't be on the hook.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:16 PM   #34
SIKSUKR

And it clearly states that in the link provided by the said complainer.
TiltonBB (06-29-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 08:16 PM   #35
dave603

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
They can say that because it is true.

The Motorcycle Week account is funded by revenue generated by Bike Week from things such as vendor fees. It is not taxpayer money, it is specifically segregated and used only for that purpose. People who would post otherwise are misinformed or pushing their own agenda.

Quote:
LACONIA (AP)
The Laconia Daily Sun reports that the city plans to tap into its Motorcycle Week account that has about $117,822. Mayor Ed Engler says using the account means taxpayers won't be on the hook.
SOOOO, next year bike week will be underfunded.
I'm not pushing any agenda at all.
Just looks like at some point SOMEONE, usually tax payers, has to make it up.

BTW, I don't care, don't pay taxes in Laconia, and usually stay away from it all.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:16 PM   #36
ITD

Quote:

Free cash.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:22 PM   #37
dave603

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
And it clearly states that in the link provided by the said complainer.
No complaints from me
Don't pay taxes there
Old 06-29-2016, 08:22 PM   #38
TiltonBB

Quote:
SOOOO, next year bike week will be underfunded.
I'm not pushing any agenda at all.
Just looks like at some point SOMEONE, usually tax payers, has to make it up.
You don't understand how they can say taxpayers are not on the hook when it is quite clear that, from the mayor on down, everyone understands that the taxpayers are not on the hook. Just read the article.

You think next years Bike Week will be underfunded when the Bike Week fund still has a balance and the event is revenue neutral. In some years it takes in more than enough money to cover all of the expenses of the event, increasing the Bike Week segregated account.

You want to claim that the taxpayers are, or will be, paying some part of the Bike Week expenses when clearly they are not now, and have not for many years.

I'm not sure how anyone can misunderstand the facts. They are pretty simple.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:28 PM   #39
dave603

Not really,
There was $177K or so in the fund
They just said they would make up the missing $63K out of that fund.
How are they making up that?

"I'm not sure how anyone can misunderstand the facts. They are pretty simple."

Yeah it is simple, they lost more money! And don't have a way to make it up.

Last edited by dave603; 06-29-2016 at 08:35 PM. Reason: added quote:
Old 06-29-2016, 08:51 PM   #40
TiltonBB

Quote:
Not really,

"I'm not sure how anyone can misunderstand the facts. They are pretty simple."

Yeah it is simple, they lost more money! And don't have a way to make it up.
AGAIN: Taxpayers are not on the hook. It is a separate segregated account that NO CITY MONEY has, or will, go into or out of. We know it, the Mayor said so, and it is factually correct. That is how it works. They are making the loss up from future vendor fees and Bike Week income. If you don't understand how it works you probably should not continue to post factually incorrect information until you do.

Sorry you can't understand it and insist on claiming that the taxpayers are on the hook. They are not.

Plain and simple: You are wrong!
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Slickcraft (07-05-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 02:11 AM   #41
Mr. V

Didn't the city require that the promoter post some form of performance bond, or get a personal guarantee?
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:42 AM   #42
Reilly

Thumbs down Hours Cut

I know for a fact that the city is passing the buck to the budget of Police ,Fire ,Etc ,Etc. People are having hours cut for a period of time & that hurts a family's budget . All for Bike Week If you live in Laconia I would Question the city ??
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:58 AM   #43
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Not really,
".
Is this really that confusing to you? They have $177,000 to use for just this type of situation which did NOT come from taxpayers. $177,000 - 63,000 still leaves 114,000 in the fund.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:32 PM   #44
rscalzo

I'd say cut it to five days Thursday to Sunday. Bring in all the events to a most central location. Now they are just too far apart.
rscalzo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rscalzo For This Useful Post:
Fargo (07-02-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 02:16 PM   #45
SIKSUKR

That would be four days and I agree.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:25 PM   #46
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

One of the big problems with Laconia Fest, in my humble opinion, is that the venue was too close to all the action. Why Pay admission when you could hear the music a mile away. When we came through the Weirs and down the Weirs Channel we could hear the music clearly a flasher 1 and then all the way to the channel and well past the end of the no-wake area. They need to Stage it at a facility that can control the volume and the admissions. Maybe it could have been coordinated with Meadowbrook or or some other place away from the maddening crowds.

I live here... I am always Upthesaukee.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:48 PM   #47
Phantom

MEADOWBROOK ? for 7 Days straight !!

NO THANK YOU .... it is aptly named Laconia Fest, NOT Gilford Fest !!!

Old 07-05-2016, 05:26 PM   #48
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
MEADOWBROOK ? for 7 Days straight !!

NO THANK YOU .... it is aptly named Laconia Fest, NOT Gilford Fest !!!

Agreed. They should continue to concentrate all of the undesirable activity in one town and Laconia fits the bill.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:18 PM   #49
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
They need to Stage it at a facility that can control the volume and the admissions. Maybe it could have been coordinated with Meadowbrook or or some other place away from the maddening crowds.
Maddening crowds? I think not. Bike Week is down to about 20% of what it once was. Traffic hardly backs up, and only on a few select days. I was in the area every day of Bike week and I didn't see any "maddening crowds".
Old 07-05-2016, 06:32 PM   #50
jetskier

Post Postmortem

The Motorcycle Week organizers should do a postmortem to understand why (exactly) LaconiaFest was such a failure. While the politicians have indicated that the failure is not costing the taxpayers directly, clearly the money could have been used for another purpose and it does not mitigate the magnitude of this disaster.

Anyhow:
  • Was it the venue or an issue with the venue?
  • Was it the location?
  • Was it the choice of the bands or the timing?
  • Was it the cost of admission?

Personally, I would get the Motorcycle Week registration information and put together a survey monkey. It is senseless to have such an abject failure without at least learning from it.

Jetskier
Old 07-05-2016, 06:32 PM   #51
Woodsy

Default THe State of NH wants Bike Week spread out..

The State of NH wants Bike Week to be spread out all over the state. They have been pushing for this for years. Due to politics, economic climate and other factors it has been a slow but steady spread... Vendors in Meredith was the first step... then the other Harley dealers in Concord & Seacoast got involved. Now North Conway is trying to get in on the act. The state encourages riders to go elsewhere by an overwhelming police presence in the Weirs.

As far as LaconiaFest goes... the City of Laconia got caught sleeping on duty. A shady concert promoter comes in and promises 30K sized crowds? But most of the bands he books would have a hard time selling out the Casino Ballroom (3K seats). NONE of the bands booked would have sold out Meadowbrook (8.5K seats) The City Manager was pretty dumb on this and did not remotely do due diligence!

Woodsy
Old 07-05-2016, 06:47 PM   #52
jetskier

Post Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
The State of NH wants Bike Week to be spread out all over the state. They have been pushing for this for years. Due to politics, economic climate and other factors it has been a slow but steady spread... Vendors in Meredith was the first step... then the other Harley dealers in Concord & Seacoast got involved. Now North Conway is trying to get in on the act. The state encourages riders to go elsewhere by an overwhelming police presence in the Weirs.

As far as LaconiaFest goes... the City of Laconia got caught sleeping on duty. A shady concert promoter comes in and promises 30K sized crowds? But most of the bands he books would have a hard time selling out the Casino Ballroom (3K seats). NONE of the bands booked would have sold out Meadowbrook (8.5K seats) The City Manager was pretty dumb on this and did not remotely do due diligence!

Woodsy
Interesting - I took a quick look at the bookings for Ted Nugent and the Bret Michaels band. They are booking into venues with a capacity of roughly 2,000 (or less). It seems a stretch that they would draw 15x for Motorcycle Week....and those are the headliners. I think that Woodsy is right. Although the attendance was awful even by those standards...so I would want to know why.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:11 PM   #53
Woodsy

They didn't sell tickets because NOBODY pays $45+ for a third tier band that couldn't get $25 a ticket in any other venue...

Pretty Simple!

Woodsy
Descant (07-05-2016)