Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2019, 06:22 AM   #1
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts
Default Yellow Perch

My favorite pan fish but they seem to be in short supply......maybe have been driven out by white perch.
Is anyone seeing them any more?
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:47 AM   #2
billy

I was over at Melvin Village boat ramp a few weeks ago and loons and fishermen were feeding on and catching them
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:58 AM   #3
Grant

They were never "bountiful" in the Lake, but it seems that there are far fewer now. When I was a kid in the 60s and 70s, you could catch some good-sized yellow perch, and would routinely see large schools of fry. Today, not so much. And the proliferation of these damn red-eyed rock bass can't be good for ANY species. I can't believe how prolific they are. During my July visit, rock bass were pretty much all I caught. My brother has been fishing up there this week, and reports the same. It's a shame that they are focused more on milfoil than on rock bass. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary. We know how testy people can get about rock bass around here.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:45 AM   #4
Pineedles

In the 60s we used to catch tons of yellow perch off the Mount’s dry dock crib in Center Harbor. I agree the State really needs to do something about the invasion of Rock Bass! I pay huge taxes and only use my cottage 4 months a year. Do something!

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:45 AM   #5
macbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
They were never "bountiful" in the Lake, but it seems that there are far fewer now. When I was a kid in the 60s and 70s, you could catch some good-sized yellow perch, and would routinely see large schools of fry. Today, not so much. And the proliferation of these damn red-eyed rock bass can't be good for ANY species. I can't believe how prolific they are. During my July visit, rock bass were pretty much all I caught. My brother has been fishing up there this week, and reports the same. It's a shame that they are focused more on milfoil than on rock bass. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary. We know how testy people can get about rock bass around here.

Just a FYI, and really not to change the focus, however Newfound Lake as pristine as it is, NOW has Rock Bass in it as well. I have spoken to F&G's office and also 3 F&G officers in the field and no one knew about this. And with all of the responses they can't really be bothered by it. So Newfound goes the way of Winni Fishing. It's a shame.
macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2019, 08:48 AM   #6
ApS

Question Connection?

We, as kids, caught many Yellow Perch near the Melvin Marina.

"New" neighborhood kids report no sightings of Large-or Smallmouth Bass in Winter Harbor, where they had actually constructed "structure" for them in front of their cottage a couple of years ago.

This season, I've noticed no (zero) fishermen were "fishing the beds".
Old 08-09-2019, 08:57 AM   #7
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default Paugus Bay

I usually catch a decent amount of yellow perch in Paugus during the Ice Fishing Derby
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote