Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 08:35 AM   #1
Biggd

Thanked 1,073 Times in 678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
It's not free, but it's certainly subsidized. New Hampshire's retirement system is less generous than Massachusett's retirement system, which in turn is less generous than Rhode Island's retirement system. In all fairness, I don't know much about NH's and Mass's retirement systems, but I know a lot about Rhode Island's, since my wife was part of the system. I don't think the concepts are too disparate though.

Since Forum members like facts, I'll give you an example. My mother-in-law retired from Rhode Island in 1999 at the age of 54. Her pension is approximately $70,000. Since retirement, she has collected $1,250,000+. If she lives until age 85, she will collect a total of $2,500,000. How much did she contribute to her pension? $90,000! The state contributed another $90,000. So for a grand total of $180,000, and a personal contribution of $90,000, my mother-in-law gets a lifetime salary of $70,000. Not a bad deal! All of this information is online and verifiable.

I do not fault her for this. It was the deal she made and we should abide by it. However, the math doesn't work. Pensions are not sustainable. That is why the dreaded private sector moved away from pensions 30+ years ago. Pensions may have made sense when public sector workers made less than private sector workers, but that has changed.

As stated above, NH and Mass aren't as generous as RI, but I am certain that taxpayers subsidize pensions. We should get out of the pension business and move toward individual retirement accounts.
Generally when you take a state or city job you make less money than the private sector so you give up the "pay me now" for the "pay me later". In the case of your mother in law, she's getting the pay me later. Good for her!

In my younger days I had the chance to take a government job at $11.00 an hour and working the night shift as opposed to the private sector where I made $16.00 an hour working normal day time hours. I choose the private sector because I was a hard worker and I knew I would make a lot more money for my family at that moment.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:45 AM   #2
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Generally when you take a state or city job you make less money than the private sector so you give up the "pay me now" for the "pay me later". In the case of your mother in law, she's getting the pay me later. Good for her!

In my younger days I had the chance to take a government job at $11.00 an hour and working the night shift as opposed to the private sector where I made $16.00 an hour working normal day time hours. I choose the private sector because I was a hard worker and I knew I would make a lot more money for my family at that moment.
I don't think that's the case now. With benefits, I think a person makes as much in the public sector as in the private sector. However, this may be skewed since in the Washington DC area, public sector employees make more than private sector employees, and since so many people work in Washington, this may effect the overall numbers. I'm sure studies have been done proving both sides!
Old 11-09-2018, 09:30 AM   #3
Biggd

Thanked 1,073 Times in 678 Posts

Quote:
I don't think that's the case now. With benefits, I think a person makes as much in the public sector as in the private sector. However, this may be skewed since in the Washington DC area, public sector employees make more than private sector employees, and since so many people work in Washington, this may effect the overall numbers. I'm sure studies have been done proving both sides!
It is still that way in many departments of the government. I have a customer of mine that's been coming to me for almost 30 years. He works for the department of environmental protection. He just transferred to the Midwest because he could no longer afford to live in New England.
He told me he should have gone to the private sector years ago but he feels stuck now because he's close to getting his full pension so he has to continue with them. He has struggled to pay his bills for the past 30 year I've known him. I always gave him credit because he was good for it.

Last edited by Biggd; 11-09-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:07 PM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,387 Times in 961 Posts

Quote:
I agree with you. The private sector cannot afford to compete with the government's generous wages and benefits any more.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:03 PM   #5
8gv

Since we have drifted into a discussion of government pensions...

Each state has a statistic called “unfunded pension obligations”.

Simply put, this number represents what is promised to retired state employees but is not in the state’s hands.

The numbers are very low with many states below 50% and others below 40%.

States cannot print money like the federal government can.

The only way to meet these obligations is to increase revenue.

That often means higher state income taxes.

The problem with that is income portability.

Many high income tax payers can choose to relocate to states with lower taxes.

When the exodus begins the tax payers who remain will need to pay more.

Citizens who pay little or no taxes and receivers of other state support, stay in their state.

The result is an acceleration of the problem until critical mass occurs.

Watch CT over the next decade.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2018, 06:08 PM   #6
Bigstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Since we have drifted into a discussion of government pensions...

Each state has a statistic called “unfunded pension obligations”.

Simply put, this number represents what is promised to retired state employees but is not in the state’s hands.

The numbers are very low with many states below 50% and others below 40%.

States cannot print money like the federal government can.

The only way to meet these obligations is to increase revenue.

That often means higher state income taxes.

The problem with that is income portability.

Many high income tax payers can choose to relocate to states with lower taxes.

When the exodus begins the tax payers who remain will need to pay more.

Citizens who pay little or no taxes and receivers of other state support, stay in their state.

The result is an acceleration of the problem until critical mass occurs.

Watch CT over the next decade.
It's the next Detroit. Which is to say bankrupt and with pensions to be worth fractions of what they once were.

Pension plans will fail for the same reason as SS will eventually - when you live 30-40+ years collecting on a plan that was designed to kick in a couple years before your estimated death the system breaks.

Anyone can look up the unfunded liability on their plan, and it's overall breakdown - 80% of the MA teachers plan goes to service debt. They should all beg to be on 401k type plans, as teachers who quit in under 10 years lose all contributions, and as the avg teacher doesn't last ten years they plan gets all those contributions free (yes, been there, done that). Unless things changed MA teachers dont even get SS benefits. They should want to trade a pension in for a standard retirement plan and SS benefits / Medicare/Caid.
Closed Thread