Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-26-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts
Default Monkey Trunks Under Construction

Here's a picture of the new Monkey Trunks park under construction next to the Funspot. Today is Sunday and they were busy at work so they must hope to get it open this season.

Click here for some more interesting details about the park.
Attached Images

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (06-26-2011), Jeanzb1 (06-27-2011), Jonas Pilot (06-27-2011)
Old 06-27-2011, 06:25 AM   #2
Belmont Resident

Default Kids yes, adults?

After spending Friday at Alpine Adventure Park in Lincoln and honestly wanting more I doubt that this would appeal to most adults. Kids yes!
Unless I’m missing something it looks like you spend most of your time zipping across a very small space and walking rope bridges. This means you have to have a guide at each clip on/off point to assist you as well as at each end of the bridges.
Hope it works but it does look like a kid’s toy. We past one coming back from Conway and it was empty on Friday. Do they shut down for wet weather?
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:48 AM   #3
fatlazyless

At 39 and 49-dollars per two hours for a Monkey Trunks visit, depending on one's height, up on their high wires, it could be a good money maker if it ever becomes popular. Possibly, Fun Spot could create a Monkey Trunks web cam as a way to promote it because a web cam that shows people harnessed and hanging from an overhead cable might become a fun type of a web cam? Maybe call it the Monkey Trunks Cam and have links to the Fun Spot arcade and bingo games? Like.......why not a Monkey Trunks web cam?

www.monkeytrunks.com/index.php?page=prices

Monkey Trunks locations: Tamworth, NH, Weirs Beach (Fun Spot), NH, & Saco, Maine

For a much less expensive, high climbing experience, the Town of Meredith and Town of Waterville Valley recreation departments both have indoor artificial rock climbing walls that are very high, about 24-feet, and very challenging and very much less expensive to use, and can be used by anyone who weighs up to 250-lbs for a price of about one dollar(?) or so.

Plus, there is always 400' high vertical granite, straight up Cathedral Ledge cliff in North Conway, NH, www.neclimbs.com/?pagename=webcam, which is totally free except you really have to know what's up!
Old 06-27-2011, 08:30 AM   #4
hancoveguy

Wow, Monkey Trunks looks like fun but is pricey. Checked out the Alpine Adventure in Lincoln, its twice the price but it looks like twice the fun.

I guess its all proportionate.

http://www.alpinezipline.com/

HCG
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
Grant

Check out the new Aerial Treetop Adventures course at Gunstock! My son and I plan to give it a run this week. In July, they will also open a 3,900-foot "peak to peak" zip line. Looks like fun.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:50 AM   #6
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Unless I’m missing something it looks like you spend most of your time zipping across a very small space and walking rope bridges.
The article I linked to says the zipline is 800' long so I think you're only seeing the launch point in my picture.

Like the Funspot, this attraction seems to be mostly for the kids and teens. Serious zipliners will head for Gunstock.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
redsoxer

Does any one else see a potential for numerous traffic accidents with people checking that out while driving by and not paying attention to the road? The Monkey Trunks looks like fun, but someone getting rear-ended by a gawker... not so much.
redsoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxer View Post
Does any one else see a potential for numerous traffic accidents with people checking that out while driving by and not paying attention to the road? The Monkey Trunks looks like fun, but someone getting rear-ended by a gawker... not so much.
That stretch of Route 3 is very straight and easy to drive, so when an Anna Nicole Smith look-a-like gets strapped onto the overhead line and starts to cruise, watching that for one second, and then watching the road the next second, should be no problem. Besides, most everyone has good experience with driving and talking on the cell phone at the same time so what's one more distraction? Monkey Trunks is a very welcome addition to the local driving scenery!
Old 06-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Waste of trees. And they complain about the Northern Pass Project.

Every Monkey Trunks I have seen has no one there. Once again looking at the prices you can see why. $49.00 for two hours? Really? So you bring your two kids and yourself to play and it cost $150.00? Yikes. I wonder if Funspot will raise its rates to match?

Maybe those High School Kids that were looking to start their own business could use the trash they haul off the islands to build an obstacle course somewhere and charge $40.00 for two hours and people could run around inside the junk...Or the Towns could open up something at the land fills using discarded items. Make it fun to go the dump. Call it Funky Junk...or The Trash Dash or something.....Geesh I'm starting to sound like FLL.....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #10
jerseyonbear

Default Kind of steep

When I first read about this thought what a great thing for the four grands to do this summer but I don't think so at thosse prices.
jerseyonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:13 PM   #11
Rattlesnake Guy

wonder how much of that is for lawyers and liability insurance?
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Guy For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (06-28-2011)
Old 06-27-2011, 08:33 PM   #12
Swanpoint guy

Default Good luck!!

The place looks great, a real neighborhood upgrade. Love the location and professional curb side appearance. We plan to bring the whole gang and burn off those ice cream calories.
Swanpoint guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:09 AM   #13
spider22

I have been going to the lakes region on vacation for several years now. The only problem I can see with this place is the price. The attractions that seem to do well is the places like funspot, gokarts, and mini golf that are reasonably priced. Expensive places like Surfcoaster seem to have trouble staying open. I maybe wrong on this one but is just my opinion. I wish them well but $49 bucks for 2 hours is a lot of money in this economy.
spider22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:11 AM   #14
Shore Driver

I think its a nice addition to the area.

spider22 I hear what you're sayin, but Surf Coaster was a flatout ripoff IMO and they were probably done in by the Water Countrys and Whale's Tales of the world. In the zipline/treetop realm, these guys have a nice little niche - If you have 8-10 year old kids, you can't take them to Gunstock or Wildcat or Tenney, Alpine Adventures etc.

Have to assume with the expansion that the Rte 16 Chocorua location is doing well, and its kinda off the beaten path a bit for the Conway crowd. I'm sure they are salivating at the traffic numbers for 106.
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #15
loneskier

Default Gunstock Arial Course

I did the Gunstock Arial course on Father's day. I did it with my Stepfather. We had an awesome time. It is like skiing with your arms because they do all the work. I was extremely sore the next few days but my Stepfather had no issues. Gunstock makes sure that you are trained on how to use the equipment. You start out in the bunny slope and can progress all the way to a black diamond. I made it to the 3rd tier and my Stepfather made it to the fourth. I plan on going back with my nephews in a month or so.
If you are going to do it make sure you bring your own water bottle.
loneskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:13 AM   #16
spider22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shore Driver View Post
I think its a nice addition to the area.

spider22 I hear what you're sayin, but Surf Coaster was a flatout ripoff IMO and they were probably done in by the Water Countrys and Whale's Tales of the world. In the zipline/treetop realm, these guys have a nice little niche - If you have 8-10 year old kids, you can't take them to Gunstock or Wildcat or Tenney, Alpine Adventures etc.

Have to assume with the expansion that the Rte 16 Chocorua location is doing well, and its kinda off the beaten path a bit for the Conway crowd. I'm sure they are salivating at the traffic numbers for 106.
I hope you are right and it is successful for many years.
spider22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #17
fatlazyless

Looking at the photo in post #1, you can see the tall vertical wall that's on the outside of the staircase tower on the right at Funspot that is now an artificial climbing wall with two different routes on it. While general admission into Monkey Trunks costs either 39 or 49-dollars, depending on one's height, getting onto the climbing wall can sometimes be done for only ten dollars, at the discretion of the manager. It probably depends on how busy they are, and if anyone is using the climbing wall, or something like that? How high is the climbing wall? Am not sure but my guess is 30-40 feet, and it is straight up with no overhangs or anything. Safety belaying is done with a friction self-belay by a device that resembles a large spring-loaded tape measure that is attached to the top of the climbing wall. As you climb up from the bottom, the safety belay winds in the strap, avoiding any slack, to keep you safe, should you lose your grip from a handhold.

Have not tried it myself......30 or 40' straight up on a friction self belay....is probably too much height exposure for me with just a mechanical device for moral and physical support? Will have to watch someone else do it a time or two before trying it....and then will just probably chicken out anyway!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 07-08-2011 at 03:39 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #18
nj2nh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
wonder how much of that is for lawyers and liability insurance?
Hey there, now, no lawyer bashing. Some of us barely get by.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:56 AM   #19
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

I second that.......everybody bashes lawyers ....unless they're helping you !
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:06 AM   #20
Rattlesnake Guy

Now wait a minute. I don't think I bashed lawyers at all. In fact my son is in Law school right now and some of my favorite folks are lawyers.

What I was trying to say was that there must be a heavy potential liability component to such an establishment. If they did not do plenty of consultation with fine folks like you before someone gets hurt, they should be consulting with another profession where they might have their head examined.

I suspect some of those insurance and expert help cost are reflected in the ticket price.

Now, if an attorney helps get someone a million bucks for breaking their arm while playing at MT, then I have little respect for that aspect of the profession. But that was not what I was referring to. No offense intended.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Guy For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (07-12-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #21
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

We know,RG......that was all tongue in cheek.....just busting your chops
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Guy (07-12-2011)
Old 07-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #22
Heff

Default the $ was worth it for my kids

We took our 8 1/2 & 10 year old girls there on Monday the 18th - they started just before 3:00 and were two of the last people off when it closed at 8:00. We couldn't get them off it. They absolutely loved. I would say as long as no more than 20 or so people are on it at a time, then it would be worth it!
Heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #23
Aguamenti

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancoveguy View Post
Wow, Monkey Trunks looks like fun but is pricey. Checked out the Alpine Adventure in Lincoln, its twice the price but it looks like twice the fun.

I guess its all proportionate.

http://www.alpinezipline.com/

HCG
We did both the Treetop and SkyRider tours at Alpine Adventures. It was amazing. The SkyRider tour has you zipping over the tops of tall pine trees, looking out over the valley far, far below. So totally worth the price of admission not only for the adrenaline rush but also for the absolutely spectacular views.
Aguamenti is offline   Reply With Quote