Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-05-2010, 06:20 AM   #1
Fishy Cover

Default Cleaning side of boat

I have a 2005 Four Winns that has green plastic film on the sides instead of gelcoat, in other words what makes the green panels on the side is some kind of a decal or film. It now has a faded looking gray film that does not come off with a Meguiars cleaner /wax. I tried rubbing compound (very gently) with very limited results and I am wiorried that if I use rubbing compound too aggressively I'll go thru the film. Does anyone else on the Forum have any suggestions about removing the gray without damaging the green film?
Fishy Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:25 AM   #2
Ron's Fiberglassing USA

Default Boat with film on sides

Give Ron a call, it can be wetsanded or buff. 603-528-3217
Ron's Fiberglassing USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I don't see how you could wet sand a sticker. If it were in gel coat then yes that option would be possible, but with a sticker or decal there is not a whole lot I can think of other than don't hit it with any thing other than maybe a fine cut rubbing compound, but honestly I think you're probably better off replacing the decal.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:11 AM   #4
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

If it is a vinyl film, consider having a sign shop make some new stickers for you. They can wrap entire buses in material, they should be able to handle a boat. It really is no different than the vinyl letters many of us use for the names on the sterns of our boats.

Here is an article I found regarding it http://www.sportfishingmag.com/techn...aby-51171.html

Best of luck!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:25 AM   #5
Ron's Fiberglassing USA

Default Film on sides

There is a product on the market call goobegone, it will remove the sticky film left behind, but if the decal has left dip or sun fade mark it will have to be wetsanded.
Ron's Fiberglassing USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2010, 10:45 AM   #6
bant6m5

Default General Cleaner

Hello -

Great Forum all around. First posting!

Any suggestions as to a generic cleaner or process for the hull. We are docked in some standing water and the hull has really gotten stained. Brand new boat and trying to keep it looking as good as possible.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
bant6m5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #7
masssteve

I've used Maguires oxidation remover and polish with an electric rotary buffer on both the decals above the rub rail and the gel coat below the rail and have had no issues. Use the oxy remover first, then the polish, then wax, it will look like new. My fourwinns even has a pin strip over the decal and it has not come off. The other option is to have a fourwinns dealer replace it, or even a section of it. I had a dock line rub against mine for some time and it came off in one section. For not alot of money they replaced a 3 foot section of it and it looks new.
masssteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:28 AM   #8
Belmont Resident

Default check with marina

Many of the marinas have cleaners they will sell you that take all of the built up scum off.
The old way was to use acid but now there are powders that mixed with water and applied with an inexpensive pump sprayer work great.
A friend of mine got some from Lakeport a couple of years ago and it literally took every bit of scum off the hull using nothing more than a garden hose after spraying the solution on and letting it sit.
I wax the crap out of mine at the waterline and it makes cleanup that much easier.
But if you do not have a trailer then you have no choice but to have it done by someone else.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Belmont Resident For This Useful Post:
bant6m5 (07-20-2010)