Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
WGW Tuftonboro

Default Replacement for my Depth Gauge

My depth gauge went on my boat. Are there any good wireless systems that are effective?
WGW Tuftonboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
chillininnh

If there is a wireless option I'm not aware of one. What brand is the gauge that failed? Transom mount transducer or thru-hull? Does it stand alone or is it built into the factory dash?
chillininnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
WGW Tuftonboro

Default Gauge

I believe it is transom mount and it is a factory gauge in dash - 1995 Four Winns
WGW Tuftonboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:28 AM   #4
chillininnh

It's tough to give a good recommendation without seeing it. Often times the factory simply installs there own bezel over a popular gauge manufacturers gauge. Is it clear that the gauge has failed or is it possible the transducer or transducer cable has been compromised? Is it a traditional gauge standing alone on the dash(2 5/16" round) or is it imbedded in a custom panel (I have seen these in Cobalts)?
chillininnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:59 PM   #5
lawn psycho

Pretty sure you have a Faria depth gauge. Is the gauge dead with no read out and back lighting or just reading wacky?

http://www.faria-instruments.com/depthsounder.php

You can either call your dealer or Four Winns to get the Faria model. Go on website to get the connection diagram. It may be in your manual but I'm on road so can't check mine to see if it's in there.

Do you have voltmeter (and ideally a little DC power supply?).

Start at connection under the dash. Pull it off an reconnect to make sure you have solid contacts. If connection is good, it's either wiring, transducer, or guage.

You need to get the model number to find what voltage input the gauge is to see if you can get it to read over the range. You need DC power supply to do this. Without knowing voltage range not sure if a C or D cell batter will work.

To check the wiring between gauge and transducer you need to check contunuity. Short one end of wires together and measure resistance at other end. Should be near zero. If you get easy access to transducer you can get good look at it to see if wiring is bad, corroded, etc. Sometimes just cleaning contacts and connections gets it working again.

Hard to give you step by step without knowing how savvy you are with troubleshooting wiring. If you take pictures we can walk you through it. Not hard. Cheerio....
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
NoBozo

For what it's worth: A depth sounder will not work if the boat is OUT of the water. The transducer is designed to send signals through water..not air.

Also, when the boat has been out of the water for any length of time..say all winter, the down facing surface of the transducer may have to be "wetted" for it to work imediately. Smear a dab of dish washing liquid on face of the transducer just before launching. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote