Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-23-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
feb

Default Fixing rubber rub rail

I have the typical black rubber rub rail in a stainless channel around my boat. In a couple of areas, the rubber rail has slightly popped out of the channel a couple inches here and there.

Any tricks on how to get it back in to the channel? I've tried squeezing the heck out of it but seems to require more grip than I can give it.
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

I used a good size screwdriver blade as a tool. Compress then slide one side into the channel. Then repeat for the other side.

Over time the black rubber popped back out more frequently. Finally I had the rub rail replaced with a solid stainless steel design.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:00 PM   #3
jrc

We used a rubber mallet and lubed the rubber with dish soap. If it gets real bad you might have to pull it out starting at a seam and work it back in. In this case it will always be too long to fit back and you have to cut the end.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
Ron's Fiberglassing USA

Take a heat gun along with a reg screw driver. Please don't over heat insert.
Ron's Fiberglassing USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
NoBozo

Without seeing the rubrail it's hard to say what would work. As a guess, get a piece of wood... say 3 inches long, by an inch and a half wide, by 3/16 inch thick and shape one end into a dull chisel shape. The wood grain running lengthwise.

Get a cup of warm water with a generous squirt of dish washing liquid and mix it up. Use an old paintbrush.

Now soap up the rubrail ...and hammer the rubber back into the channel with the wooden chisel using a rubber mallet. The Soap is the KEY. You could also lather it up with a bar of hand soap as well. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2010, 04:06 PM   #6
robmac

I agree lots of diluted soap or silicone spray ( if boat is on trailer ) and push one side in first then with a rubber or deadblow mallet tap it in place. I try to get the bottom in first so I am tapping downward to softly knock it into the channel.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote