Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
no-engine

Default Roundabout Construction

NOW, apparently the roundabout construction has started! Appears that Busby Construction rents space behind the burned saloon, for their office trailer, equipment and concrete pipes already delivered to edge of road to the drive-in. [speculate a little rental income for the owners!]

Some back-hoe digging has started! Weirs is on the way; if nothing else, construction site lookers will drive by! Like peering through a fence hole at a city construction site!
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

From the Laconia Sun
Quote:

Preliminary roundabout work begins at 'Malfunction Junction'

By Gail Ober
Mar 23, 2012 12:00 am

LACONIA - Construction has begin on the new Weirs roundabout at the northern end of Weirs Blvd. — known in common parlance as the "Malfunction Junction".
The winning bidder for the project is Busby Construction who, according to the N.H. Department of Transportation Website, bid $908,555 to reconfigure the intersection of U.S. Route 3 and N.H. Route 11-B.
Earlier this year, the City Council authorized the application of $120,000 of general obligation bonds issued in 2009 to finance capital improvements toward the project along with $20,00 from the contingency account to fund the city’s 10-percent of the project that, at the time, was estimated would cost about $1.4-million.
City Planner Shanna Saunders said yesterday that Busby has made arrangements with Brandi Baldi to use the parking lot area behind the closed Wide Open Saloon as a staging area and it is that action that accounts for the activity some have reported at the rear (motel end) of the property.
She said the initial phase will involve utility work and, from what she understands, there will be no significant alterations in traffic patterns until May 21 when the first of two planned detours will go into effect.
She said the plans are to continue to project until annual Motorcycle Week begins on June 9, when she expects major construction to halt until Labor Day and the end of the height of the summer season.
Saunders said there is no reason to avoid the intersection and that the construction will be designed to create as minimal of an inconvenience as possible.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
AC2717

Great
Detours starting the week before Memorial Day
then supposidly no construction from Motorcycle week to Labor day

Got a good question for them:

WHY NOT, NOT TOUCH IT UNTIL AFTER LABOR DAY TO BEGIN WITH AND BE DONE BEFORE THANKSGIVING?
Old 03-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
nicole

I am a full-time resident of the Weirs. There is NO need for this. I drive through this every day and other than some people that don't realize they have the right of way and of course bike week and holidays-it is not a problem. Gotta get that federal $$ so someone in Sioux Falls SD can pay for this nonsense that we don't need. When I was at a meeting about this I asked the that if they thought this was so bad why did they not first put huge signs up as to who has the right of way, I was basically laughed at. All these people on the city council want to do is spend $$ whether it is local, state or federal $$. The want to give Baldi over a million dollars "to not own anything"-so frustrating. They never listen to the people. This roundabout is just going to make traffic worse. We were already warned that "normal" snow plows cannot handle it and we residents will have to wait longer for plowing to be done. So now we will get to work even later. I love living in Laconia-but between this council and the new spend happy City manager from Dover-it make us wonder if we should think about moving to another town.

Last edited by nicole; 03-23-2012 at 12:25 PM.
nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nicole For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (03-23-2012), Belmont Resident (03-25-2012), tricia1218 (03-24-2012)
Old 03-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
Woodsy

As a resident of the Weirs I think the roundabout is a good idea... It will alleviate the congestion and confusion I see at that intersection every day in the summer.

Woodsy
Old 03-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
jrc

I drive through the roundabout in front of the North Nashua High School, all I can say is go there when it's full of buses.

At least when there is no traffic, it only sucks a little bit.

Remember the purpose of a roundabout is to calm traffic, with no traffic you have to slow down because of the curve and the cobble stones. The purpose is to impede traffice so it slows down. The purpose is not to reduce accidents, but to make them happen at a slower speed and better angle.

I think it increases accidents, it is impossible to know if the guy coming around is going to turn or keep coming. The turns are too tight and close together to use directionals. So you either wait until the whole thing is empty or take a chance.

Now I know FFL like to talk about watering a garden in the middle, but that only lasts a few years. The Nashua one was so pretty when they built it with flowers and old style lamp posts. Now it's overgrown and dead, and the lamp post were wrecked by vehicles that missed the turns. It's a good place for yard sale signs. I'm sure it will look nice full of Romney and Obama signs this fall.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-23-2012), fatlazyless (03-23-2012), GsChinadoll (03-23-2012), nicole (03-23-2012)
Old 03-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
patman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole View Post
some people that don't realize they have the right of way
...and some people don't realize they DON'T have the right of way. Going northbound on rt 3, I have the R.O.W. but someone coming south on rt 3 heading towards 11B does not...yet it looks like a straight shot. *That* scares the bejeezus out of me every time I go through there northbound. Gee, would I like to get rammed head on by an oncoming car that doesn't look like it's going to stop, or rear-ended by the car behind me if I hit the brakes to avoid the first car? With such a high percentage of tourist traffic (read: unfamiliar with traffic patterns) that intersection is literally an accident waiting to happen.

Granted, I'm not driving through there everyday, and won't be significantly affected by the construction upheaval, but the real rotaries with real traffic patterns in Alton and at 104/3 have greatly improved safety in those places.

Now if we can get people to learn how and when to use their turn signals, we'll be all set. Wonder when construction starts on that task...
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Laconia council and city manager

I notice the majority of them are not Laconia natives. Hence Laconia going the ways of thy neighbors.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #9
john60ri

Default Rotary

I travel this intersection a lot on vacation. I would be interested to know how the Powers-That-Be justify this change. Or maybe they don't have to justify it; maybe it's just a matter of spreading some $$$ around. Seems totally unnecesary. Any rationale for this?
john60ri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john60ri For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (03-24-2012)
Old 03-24-2012, 07:59 AM   #10
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

The problems started when it went to a yield sign going straight. There should be a stop sign not a yield sign. I almost got T-boned there just last night. People see you coming and just run out in front of you.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #11
kauriel

I agree the rotary will likely be somewhat confusing because it is hard to tell what people are doing in the meredith rotary but hopefully they will not put in the cobblestone to force everyone into outer portion of rotary. A few years ago we had to watch a biker get peeled off the pavement in middle of disfunction junction. If a rotary means I don't have to see that again and I don't have to hold my breath every time I go through there then I support it!
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #12
no-engine

Default driving rotaries & roundabouts!

It's always yield when entering, just as the signs say.

We all see those entering an interstate never looking over their left shoulder; they just barge in. Where did they learn to read & drive. Yield when entering!
Yellow triangle signs are always cautionary meaning.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #13
Belmont Resident

Default bad idea

During off season it isn't bad but with all the inflow of traffic and no one except those in the rotary having the right of way I believe it will become a place to avoid and put many of us on alternate routes increasing traffic in other places.
The good thing is you have alternate routes around that area, although longer.
Time will tell.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #14
RailroadJoe

Instead of yield signs, put in stop signs. At least that way people tend to yield "Mass rolling stop". Very few people yield.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RailroadJoe For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (03-25-2012)
Old 03-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #15
jmen24

I can't understand the issues folks have with round abouts and rotarys.

It does not matter what anyone else in the circles intentions are, you either have space to enter or you don't.

If another car is 90 degrees away from you in the circle, you can enter, if they are closer, then you wait. It is really just as simple as that.

I would take a traffic circle over a lighted intersection or multi stop signs any day.

If you tow a trailer, let it ride up the center and traverse the circle as you would without it.

The great thing about about circles is you only have to worry about two cars at a time (no matter how many are at or entering the circle), yours and the one approaching you within the circle. When your in the circle stand your ground and do not stop for anyone entering, it messes the entire situation up.

Get in, get out and move on, that is the way of life today. Buy a ticket and enjoy the ride.

Good luck to all the businesses this season in the area, hopefully this project won't slow you all down.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #16
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

A lot of people dislike the concept and probably will always feel that way. After all it is a different concept from what we all grew-up with.

However roundabouts are safer than signed or signaled intersections. And, in spite of common perceptions, they have higher traffic capacity.
http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/intersect...hwasa10006/#s2

The one at the intersection of Parade Road in Meredith has transformed that from a very dangerous killer to a very safe intersection.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #17
corollaman

Default Just another waste of our tax dollars.

I'd say just put a light there. Why reconfigure the whole intersection? The meredith one, I don't like either. No one yields as they're coming into the circle. I've almost been creamed there a number of times. Unless you're already in the traffic circle, you don't have the right of way. They should have just put a light there as well.
corollaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:41 AM   #18
fatlazyless

If you have driven through the new dysfunction junction, roundabout construction project in the last week, then you probably noticed that it is now looking more and more like a roundabout. Anyone know how long before it gets completed?

The roundabout that's about four miles north on Rt 3 in Meredith seems to work very good, so probably this one will work good too, plus it creates a nice center spot for a decorative garden.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:58 AM   #19
songkrai

Waste of good tax payer monies.

Other then Bike Week and a few warm weather holiday weekends. Zero problems.

This precious state tax money and Laconia property tax money could be used on other roads that are in way worse condition.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to songkrai For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (10-03-2012), Jonas Pilot (10-03-2012), Lakesrider (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #20
Lakesrider

Like the entire length of RT 171 from Moultonborough to RT 28. It is the highway from hell.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #21
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
Waste of good tax payer monies.

Other then Bike Week and a few warm weather holiday weekends. Zero problems.

This precious state tax money and Laconia property tax money could be used on other roads that are in way worse condition.
absolutley, not to mention when they just repainted lines for redirection look how much nicer everything flowed, they could have stopped there and added some nice planters and been done

now good luck not maring up your tires on the trailers with the tight lanes they made, from what I saw two weeks ago does not look like they are cobbling around it, so high curbs long truck tractors and boat trailers, and small lanes, yeah looks great
Old 10-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #22
inquiring one

I find both local circles to be a waste and the one in Plymouth. Meredith would have been fine with a designated right turn onto parade rd and the weirs was working well all summer. I personally go to Plymouth or North Conway now unless I have no other choice. With all the other projects, bridge repairs etc I am truly disappointed in our state for choosing to go around in circles.
inquiring one is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to inquiring one For This Useful Post:
MaidenCove07 (10-03-2012)
Old 10-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #23
Altonbayicefishingfool

Yup, waste of time and money. But yet on WMUR news last night there is an intersection (can't remember the town) that is so bad they installed a camera and have logged some 30+ accidents at this location and are finally going to correct the issue with a roundabout. Hmmm, took over 30 acciednts some being pretty serious to finally correct a problem? What is wrong with this picture!?
Altonbayicefishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #24
Jonas Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altonbayicefishingfool View Post
Yup, waste of time and money. But yet on WMUR news last night there is an intersection (can't remember the town) that is so bad they installed a camera and have logged some 30+ accidents at this location and are finally going to correct the issue with a roundabout. Hmmm, took over 30 acciednts some being pretty serious to finally correct a problem? What is wrong with this picture!?
If they don't have a stoplight I think the prudent thing to do would be to install one rather than waste money on the awkward circle they call a roundabout.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #25
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Drove by the Weirs today. Right now it is a cluster %^&*. Traffic coming over the bridge and coming down the hill have the right of way while boulevard traffic swings around to a stop sign to either turn left or right. Should be very interesting this weekend with a the dead left peeper traffic.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #26
fatlazyless

When the Meredith roundabout was constructed a few years ago, the center infield was planted by the NH-DOT with plants that were picked because they were low-water, low maintenance type perennials, and while they were okay looking, they were not the best looking plants. Starting this past spring of 2012, some local Meredith community groups showed up on court and took a swing at improving the Meredith roundabout-circle garden. Three cheers for their new garden and all the good growing results it has made in its' first year of garden life. With no garden hose water faucet available in the circle spot, a plastic water tank was tucked away in the middle for a watering source, and one fast look at the new garden as you drive around let's you know that it's all been a great big growing success.

What's to be with the new Laconia, Weirs Beach, roundabout-center garden? Only time will tell for next year, 2013, as it is currently a roundabout construction project and the growing season will soon be done for this year. Without a doubt, somewhere in Laconia, there's probably someone with a sharp pencil who has already got plans for the new Weirs Beach roundabout garden ..... so three cheers for the new Weirs Beach roundabout and its' center garden!
Old 10-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #27
AC2717

Quote:
it was in pelham, and the firestation is right there on the corner, why a roundabout, it will only slow the fire response time, instead of just putting up a set of lights, that would also all turn red when the fire trucks head out, would be cheaper and makes more sense

oh wait, it is government

WHo cares about the plants in the center, it means nothing when it becomes a cluster you know what. SO what you are saying is the main Road Rt 3, coming up from the Margate no longer has right away? that is the main flow of traffic not to mention the main route and majority of traffic, now cars will be backed up to Christmas Island, why does 11b get right of way???
nicole (10-05-2012)
Old 10-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #28
patman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Without a doubt, somewhere in Laconia, there's probably someone with a sharp pencil who has already got plans for the new Weirs Beach roundabout garden
How about bare land with some scrub growth, and some rubble with charred wood? That way it would match the surroundings...
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to patman For This Useful Post:
jeffatsquam (10-05-2012)
Old 10-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #29
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
SO what you are saying is the main Road Rt 3, coming up from the Margate no longer has right away? that is the main flow of traffic not to mention the main route and majority of traffic, now cars will be backed up to Christmas Island, why does 11b get right of way???
11B and Rt 3 will use the roundabout the same way all roundabouts are used. Neither one of them have anymore right away then the other. All three entrances must wait until it's possible to enter the circle. That is one of the reasons for building a roundabout.

Here is the map as presented at the Public Hearing Plan and is now being built:
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #30
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
11B and Rt 3 will use the roundabout the same way all roundabouts are used. Neither one of them have anymore right away then the other. All three entrances must wait until it's possible to enter the circle. That is one of the reasons for building a roundabout.

Here is the map as presented at the Public Hearing Plan and is now being built:
thanks for the info, from MA, know how a rotary works drive through 4 of them everyday, but way it was described above with a stop sign and what not did not make sense for a round about.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #31
Happy Gourmand

Default Weirs Roundabout

I think the new roundabout will work just fine....especially for those travelling over the bridge turning on to Rte 11 and those coming from Rte 11 who previously turned left on Rte 3. It will also help to slow down the traffic at that busy intersection, that's not a bad thing either.
I've had a few exciting moments there myself, as I'm sure a lot of you did too.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #32
Sunbeam lodge

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
thanks for the info, from MA, know how a rotary works drive through 4 of them everyday, but way it was described above with a stop sign and what not did not make sense for a round about.
I have driven through the Meredith Parade road and route 3 intersection for years, before and after the rotary was built. When it was proposed I thought it was a stupid waste of money and too small. I was wrong. It has worked great even during motorcycle week, before it was a disaster at that intersection.
I go through the Weirs daily and i think people will be surprised as to how easily the traffic will flow. I have driven in England through their roundabouts, they are a challenge and you have to get used to them and driving on the wrong side of the road.
The landscaping in the Meredith rotary look's great as does all the landscaping in Meredith. They do a great job even using corn stocks at the Hannaford Plaza to give the town a New England town look.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #33
Rusty

Under study now by the NH DOT are as many as (7) roundabouts in the area of US 3 from Rt 104 to RT 25.

Also there is a study going on for a roundabout in the area of Meredith Center Rd at Livingston Rd.

I think NH is building circular speed bumps and calling them roundabouts.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #34
PaugusBayFireFighter

The middle of the rotary has irrigation pipes, and for what it's worth, some indication that plans for plants or flowers will be included in the design. The curbing is granite, I had worried they may use the cheaper asphalt curbing, it looks nice. There is a small fern in the middle, hopefully this is not the only plan for flora. I did not see anything in the other enclosed curbing other than a manhole and gravel. I think this design will greatly improve the traffic flow and confusion as to who has right of way. A few days ago it looked confusing, today it looks pretty well planned.
Attached Images

PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #35
AC2717

thanks for the photo PBF
any concerns, you being a firefighter, that long Rigs, like a fire truck, a tractor trailer, or a truck with a boat trailer will have trouble on the swing, last time through there for me a couple weeks ago seemed very tight lanes with curbs on either side?
Old 10-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #36
Woodsy

I live in the Weirs and welcome the new roundabout! It looks nice and it will remove alot of confusion from that intersection. The curbs look pretty high now but once all the paving is done I am sure it will be fine for tractor trailers and firetrucks etc... When completed there will be crosswalks for pedestrians too. I think the roundabout will also add some value to the corner lot and hopefully something will be built there!

And the SmokeHouse has been torn down! Might be a good spring in the Weirs after all!

Woodsy
Old 10-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #37
PaugusBayFireFighter

The only issue would be coming down Rte. 11 and turning on to Rte. 3, or coming down Rte. 3 and going around the rotary to cross the bridge, and that would only be an issue with their Ladder Tower. Obviously, going straight down Rte. 11 over the bridge is a non-issue, as is going over the bridge and turning right on to Rte 3. I am sure the department has already figured this out as well as pre-planned how they would navigate during construction. As of today, when you come over the bridge you have to detour the right onto Rte. 3 by going passed the circle, onto the start of Rte. 11, and hanging a hard right onto Rte. 3. I would assume the Laconia Fire Dept. already knows if they can make the detour or if they will just go over the bridge I hope they have taken into account on how snow will be plowed in this area. The windrows will make that intersection/rotary smaller and tighter than it is right now. If the ladder truck has a tight squeeze now, just wait until the snow comes. My guess is that this has been discussed and there shouldn't be an issue for Laconia or mutual aid city/towns that respond.

Last edited by PaugusBayFireFighter; 01-06-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #38
nicole

I am a full time resident of the Weirs and go through the intersection at least twice a day. My husband also does the same. I was against the roundabout before and I still am. A waste of taxpayer dollars and an inconvience to those of us who have to drive through this thing now. This was not needed. And now we are told it is not going to be completed until Spring? Why?

We residents were told at one of the meetings not to expect the roundabout area to be plowed early as a "regular" plow will not be able to fit through. So those of us who work for a living that have to be at work no matter how bad the weather is have to deal with this? I guess the "pretty landscaping" and the fact that it "looks nice" is supposed to make up for it?

It would not surprise me if large trucks and firetrucks have a difficult time getting through. They put one of these moronic things in Boscawen near Penacook and it is too small and there have been articles about local businesses who operate there have had problems with the trucks tires being shredded and damaged because they cannot fit through.

I have seen more near accidents with the current set up than I ever did before.
nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #39
RailroadJoe

I pity the fire truck and 18 wheelers that will have tires blown trying to make it around these small rotarys (not really roundabouts, just a new term for them).
Old 10-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #40
no-engine

SO what you are saying is the main Road Rt 3, coming up from the Margate no longer has right away? that is the main flow of traffic not to mention the main route and majority of traffic, now cars will be backed up to Christmas Island, why does 11b get right of way???[/QUOTE]

NO, read on to posts of a design.
Those entering MUST yield the right of way to those in the rotary/roundabout.
The stop sign is there for construction time period, ONLY.

There is no "thru" route when a rotary exists. Lets all go back to driver ed classes.

Someone posted about rotaries in Boston area. I first started driving south of Boston and frequented the large rotary to get on to Cape Cod Bridge and the Route 3/3A on way to Cohasset, Hull and Nantasket Beach. Also one in Cambridge/Fresh Pond areas. Not an issue!
Old 10-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #41
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
I pity the fire truck and 18 wheelers that will have tires blown trying to make it around these small rotarys (not really roundabouts, just a new term for them).
Watch big rigs go thru Meredith's and Nashua's on Route 130 to Hollis!

The cobblestones towards center are for the reasons!!!
Old 10-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #42
RailroadJoe

If I remember correctly, the one in Nashua is fairly flat with no large curbstones. Hopefully the one at the Weirs will not be too high.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #43
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-engine View Post
There is no "thru" route when a rotary exists. Lets all go back to driver ed classes.
Too late for some people! I hate roundabouts because of their small size; if you're approaching to enter the circle, you can't tell if the car already in the circle on your left is exiting where you're entering because most people don't use a directional!

While we were up at the lake last Friday, we took a walk to see how the construction was going. It was amazing to watch more than 90% of the traffic crossing the yellow lines as they were navigating the "S" curve area right before the Weirs Channel bridge (it was mostly the northbound traffic)!! Wait until next summer during the height of the tourist season; that roundabout is a site waiting for an accident to happen! I'm glad I don't use Channel Marine for my mechanical/winterizing needs any more so I won't have to tow through that mess!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #44
Woodsy

The roundabout should be pretty much buttoned up within the next 3 weeks. They will be back in the spring to do some planting and finishing touches . Its going to work just fine!

Woodsy
Old 10-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #45
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
The roundabout should be pretty much buttoned up within the next 3 weeks. They will be back in the spring to do some planting and finishing touches . Its going to work just fine!

Woodsy
I agree. So many of the concerns expressed regarding this roundabout are the same ones that were made about the Meredith roundabout on Rte 3.
At this point, do we really have a choice other than...let's give it a fair shot?
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #46
Woodsy

I think a fair shot is in order....

I was originally opposed to the Meredith Roundabout, but as a frequent user I find it to be no big deal. I think the Weirs Roundabout will be the same. I know a tremendous amount of engineering went into the design, and in the end malfunction Junction will be safer for everyone.... cars, truck, motorcycles and pedestrians

Woodsy
Old 10-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #47
no-engine

Default Wait till done for your conclusions!!!!

The "S" curve and STOP sign northbound are temporary, only during construction.

Back to driver's ed, and school. I hate to say "get a life" and observe it all when done!
Old 10-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #48
SIKSUKR

Looks pretty much in size as one they are building near my house in Bedford for a new Market Basket. It feels very small even in a car. The sloped curb on the interior will have the finished grade right where the slope starts so truck wheels will go up on the curb without any damage. That should not be a problem.
As a previous poster said, my rotary seems so small that it will be tough to tell who is coming around past you or exiting before you. This rotary was put in only to serve as the entrance/exit for MB. I've been using it for 2 weeks now with traffic only passing through. I'm really doubting how well this is going to work with the large amount of traffic when the store opens. We will see.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #49
PaugusBayFireFighter

Roundabouts are much safer than intersections with lights and stop signs. They also save gas as you rarely stop and idle. They are also cheaper for the city/ town. There is NO confusion as to who as the right of way, if you're in the circle you can take 30 laps and you'll never give that right of way up. Roundabouts are becoming highly popular because the studies show the reduction in accidents, reduction in fuel cost and overall cost effectiveness. I drove through it a bunch of times since my last post and I'm now 100% sure that any problems navigating the circle by a fire truck, even the ladder tower, would be driver error. Speaking as someone who will drive that roundabout several times a week, I'm glad they got rid of the old intersection.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (10-08-2012)
Old 10-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #50
AC2717

i do have to say was through there Saturday. I have to say the did make it wider that originally seen when through with concrete ride up like the cobbles at 106. But if any indication of the traffic I sat through leading up to it, before it was even in use, i was back to past the Naswa and took about 15 minutes to get up there. I dunno about this one, only time will tell, i do know this, the way it was this summer was nice, easy, quick, and worked!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #51
no-engine

Default Give it a break!

I was going south and there was lots traffic waiting to go north. The stop sign is TEMPORARY!!! Have a better option for this construction phase?

Saturday's congestion for the stop sign is NO indication of what may happen when the full rotary motion is in effect.

Some other posters, and I have driven through small diameter roundabouts in Europe. Tractor trailer rigs and many others. Please folks, let's get used to it!

Give it a break and try, following the right of way rules of the road.

Anyone been to Vail Colorado? Well, look on a map; I-70 goes right through the valley. They changed two exits, eastern and western sides of town. There are two roundabouts at each of the exits, one north side and other south side of the east/west interstate. Drivers thought it was so confusing during construction, but in the end it's much safer than before with all the traffic lights!
Old 10-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #52
Rusty

It looks like the roundabout calls for four separate entrances, one each from the three state roads and a fourth from the property just below the Weirs Channel Bridge that is currently home to Donna Jean's Diner.
If that is the case then the Bridge side entrance and the Diner entrance look very close to each other.

Below are images before the roundabout and the drawing of the plan for it.

It appears that Donna Jean's Diner will have an entrance as the plan shows:

Old 10-09-2012, 05:10 AM   #53
Belmont Resident

Default I believe those are crosswalks

Quote:
It looks like the roundabout calls for four separate entrances, one each from the three state roads and a fourth from the property just below the Weirs Channel Bridge that is currently home to Donna Jean's Diner.
If that is the case then the Bridge side entrance and the Diner entrance look very close to each other.

Below are images before the roundabout and the drawing of the plan for it.

It appears that Donna Jean's Diner will have an entrance as the plan shows:

I do not believe those are entrances but crosswalks which are in fact or were there before construction began. But I may be wrong. I know the entrance to the golf course is definitely from the parking lot of the plaza and not the area where the oval will be.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #54
SIKSUKR

From what I can see Rusty is correct.I believe the crosswalks are the paralell black lines that connect to the purple(probably new construction) sidewalks.DJ's looks like the entrance(denoted by where the orange meets the yellow) will be right after you enter the rotary from the Weirs.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #55
Belmont Resident

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
From what I can see Rusty is correct.I believe the crosswalks are the paralell black lines that connect to the purple(probably new construction) sidewalks.DJ's looks like the entrance(denoted by where the orange meets the yellow) will be right after you enter the rotary from the Weirs.
Yup, my bad. I went back and reread his post and looked more closely at the pictures.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #56
no-engine

IT's almost done, but drivable.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:17 AM   #57
fatlazyless

Driving down the hill, past the Lobster Pound, and turning right at the new roundabout to go to Lowe's in nearby Gilford, is much, much safer than it was with the old malfunction junction. That turn used to be a little bit iffy, and now it's a smooth move.......no worries.

That Phillips 66 gas station that's right on the new roundabout could maybe rename itself "Roundabout Gas & Go" or something and do a little local advertising so's it could be open all 12-months /year as opposed to only May thru Oct. That just seems so unusual for a gas station with that much visibility to be closed like it is?

There just are not too many of the older style gas stations left.......all the other stations are multi-pump, super pumpers.....but the prices at the Weirs Beach roundabout Phillips 66 sure seemed like it was very competative. Maybe offer coffee at 50 cents/cup or something like that......like so why do so many more seem to go to the Cumberland gas up the hill, which is open year round, than to the Roundabout Gas.....like what makes Cumberland any better.....except that is is open and the Roundabout Gas is closed?
Old 11-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #58
Bob M

Default Driving Down The Hill

I agree that there don't seem to be that many old style gas stations left. However, if I remember correctly, their prices were anything but competitive before Cumberland Farms opened. I believe they did try to stay open that first year or two but apparently it isn't worth while continuing to do so now.

I always bought gas and newspapers from them after their gas prices came more in line with what other stations were charging but have since moved from the Weirs area over to Gilford and therefore don't drive by as much as I used to.
Bob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:40 AM   #59
fatlazyless

Default ....smooth concrete vs. granite cobbles?

Driving around both the Meredith and newly constructed Weirs Beach roundabouts yesterday, one big design difference between the two was plain to see. The Meredith roundabout has grey granite cobbles or blocks, about 18"x10" each cobble, in the circular infield area designed for the rear wheels of 53' semi tractor-trailers, while the Weirs roundabout does not. At the Weirs roundabout, the circular infield designed for the rear wheels of 53' semi tractor-trailers is one smooth surface of smooth grey concrete.

And, in my opinion, it makes a great big difference how the two different roundabouts will be looking. The grey granite cobbles are a so much better look than that smooth concrete. Was it all about the extra money or something for the cobbles? Wonder what the m.o. or thinking was by Laconia and the NH-D.O.T. for going with smooth concrete because it just don't have that same Meredith good looks as the cobbles.......but that's Laconia for you???
Old 11-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #60
Rusty

Quote:
Driving around both the Meredith and newly constructed Weirs Beach roundabouts yesterday, one big design difference between the two was plain to see. The Meredith roundabout has grey granite cobbles or blocks, about 18"x10" each cobble, in the circular infield area designed for the rear wheels of 53' semi tractor-trailers, while the Weirs roundabout does not. At the Weirs roundabout, the circular infield designed for the rear wheels of 53' semi tractor-trailers is one smooth surface of smooth grey concrete.

And, in my opinion, it makes a great big difference how the two different roundabouts will be looking. The grey granite cobbles are a so much better look than that smooth concrete. Was it all about the extra money or something for the cobbles? Wonder what the m.o. or thinking was by Laconia and the NH-D.O.T. for going with smooth concrete because it just don't have that same Meredith good looks as the cobbles.......but that's Laconia for you???
When are you going to get yourself a camera so we can see what you are talikng about. Not all of us go thru the roundabouts or see windmills on top of mountains like you do.

A picture is worth a... get my point there FLL??
Old 11-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #61
john60ri

Default Fll

I think FLL paints a pretty good picture with his words. Seems to me his hobby is life, not photography.
john60ri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to john60ri For This Useful Post:
jeffatsquam (11-17-2012), NHBUOY (11-18-2012), Rusty (11-17-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #62
WickedGoodOutdoors
Banned

Looks Expensive.

Maybe you should have made a Rotary instead.

I guess not to worry, The Gum Mint will just Suck some more tax dollars out of us working people to piss away.

Remember that Money Grows on Trees and the Well Never goes Dry.
WickedGoodOutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #63
NHBUOY

Thumbs up

...FLL is no LJK Setright, but, I always enjoy his miscellaneous ramblings.
NHBUOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #64
NoBozo

Quote:
When are you going to get yourself a camera so we can see what you are talikng about. Not all of us go thru the roundabouts or see windmills on top of mountains like you do.

A picture is worth a... get my point there FLL??
FLL probably sees no reason to spend good money on a digital camera when his old Kodak still works Just Fine. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:36 PM   #65
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
FLL probably sees no reason to spend good money on a digital camera when his old Kodak still works Just Fine. NB
I don't think he spends too much money on anything. He could do the old Lowes trick and return the camera after taking 1,201,129 images at high resolution.

Heck he could return them and get another one every three or four months.

Can you imagine the captions that he would put below the pictures.

I would love to see the difference between the caption and the actual picture.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:08 AM   #66
Reilly

Citgo Station, not Phillips 66. & He likes being closed in winter
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #67
PaugusBayFireFighter

Talking

Quote:

Here's a picture showing the smooth concrete at the roundabout. I love the "ONE WAY" signs...just kind of obvious but I guess it's for safety reasons.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
fatlazyless (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #68
AC2717

signs signs everywhere signs......

it is kinda a funny, maybe it is for our across the pond guests lol
Old 11-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #69
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Cobblestone vs. Concrete

I remember a semi tipping over the cobbled area after they finish the Meredith roundabout. Something about the slope of the cobblestone area induced tipping.

Anyway, I like to travel the path of least resistance. The cobblestones provides more resistance than a concrete paving. I can save a couple of cents in gas driving straight through the Weirs roundabout.

I love my Jeep!
Old 11-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #70
Lakesrider

OK so who is going to be the first one here to drive around and around and around and around and around and around and around......

I wonder how many G's I could muster in my sports car on that concrete inner circle?
Old 11-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #71
NoBozo

I am going to set up a TIRE business just down the road. Tire "Scrubbing" (Particularly the FRONT tires) around the rotary is going to wear out your tires faster. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #72
fatlazyless

Default Meredith & Plymouth go granite cobbles: Laconia goes smooth concrete?

Both of the roundabouts in Plymouth and Meredith have natural grey granite blocks or cobbles in the concentric infield area designed probably to be maybe like a sort of rumble strip or something for the rear wheels of large trailers like the standard 53' tractor trailers when their rear wheels automatically track on a tighter radius then the front steering wheels of large trucks.

So, if both the Meredith and Plymouth roundabouts, constructed about three years ago, went with very nice looking granite cobbles, then why the heck did not Laconia follow their lead and do the same thing.......huh.......why not?

Here's my two cents on why it is what it is........for Bike Week.....the smooth concrete will be adapted into a motorcycle "WALL of DEATH" by constructing a smooth concrete wall that blends with the existing concrete apron. ......and then it's ready to ride.......ladies & gentlemen.......please start your engines for our next Wall of Death presentation...... www.americanwallofdeath.com/ ..... down at the new Weirs Beach 1.1-million dollar Roundabout!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-21-2012 at 09:52 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #73
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
OK so who is going to be the first one here to drive around and around and around and around and around and around and around......

I wonder how many G's I could muster in my sports car on that concrete inner circle?
Please don't dare me...I'm bored, less than a mile from the roundabout (The Weirs Centrifuge) and will gladly use my newest iPhone app!!!
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #74
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I am going to set up a TIRE business just down the road. Tire "Scrubbing" (Particularly the FRONT tires) around the rotary is going to wear out your tires faster. NB
NB...First thing I looked at, the tire marks on the curbing. Already plenty of rubber on it.
I'm dying to see what the curbing looks like after the first plowable snow.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:38 AM   #75
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
Here's a picture showing the smooth concrete at the roundabout. I love the "ONE WAY" signs...just kind of obvious but I guess it's for safety reasons.

At a fortuitous distance, I once followed a little car that suddenly leaped upwards ahead of me. I wasn't acquainted with that neighborhood's roundabout—and apparently neither was that driver. (There were no one-way signs). He had just driven straight through the middle of the circle!

What is the future of roundabouts being built in Oregon, Washington and Colorado—states that have just legalized "minor drug possession"?
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (11-21-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #76
PaugusBayFireFighter

More than likely they would just set up a lawn chair in the middle and watch the world go round.
New Hampshire is the last state in New England to even decriminalize possession of less than an ounce, never mind for medical purpose. I would never had guessed The Live Free or Die State would be so far behind other progressive states, especially Mass. The medical marijuana bill has been passed and vetoed by the governor at least once. But it's only a matter of time this state starts getting some tax revenue from a drug that can be bought and is grown everywhere in NH, and trust me, it IS. Legalize and tax it.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:52 AM   #77
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

[At a fortuitous distance, I once followed a little car that suddenly leaped upwards ahead of me. I wasn't acquainted with that neighborhood's roundabout—and apparently neither was that driver. (There were no one-way signs). He had just driven straight through the middle of the circle!

What is the future of roundabouts being built in Oregon, Washington and Colorado—states that have just legalized "minor drug possession"? [/QUOTE]
\

No comment on the latter, but I can explain what happened in the former circumstance. Quite simply, the roundabout was not on the poor guy's GPS!!!!

Last edited by upthesaukee; 11-21-2012 at 12:45 PM.
upthesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #78
PaugusBayFireFighter

We had a rotary, not a roundabout, in Waltham that constantly had tire marks going across the inner circle which was beautifully landscaped. Bentley College is only a few yards from this rotary so undoubtably it was more intent than mistake. They eventually added a big boulder to the middle landscape design.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #79
AC2717

Quote:
We had a rotary, not a roundabout, in Waltham that constantly had tire marks going across the inner circle which was beautifully landscaped. Bentley College is only a few yards from this rotary so undoubtably it was more intent than mistake. They eventually added a big boulder to the middle landscape design.
Iknow it well, went there, and work not to far from it in Belmont, my wife works there now.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #80
songkrai

Quote:
NB...First thing I looked at, the tire marks on the curbing. Already plenty of rubber on it.
I'm dying to see what the curbing looks like after the first plowable snow.
Just drove through. Lots of black rubber marks on curb.
Better check on the current price of car alignments and new tires.

Why didn't these designers place slanted curbing on sides? At least on the turning right sides. Roadway is too small. OK for some cars. But get bigger then the average car and there are big issues.

All might look good on paper. Not good in reality.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote