Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2022, 03:28 PM   #1
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Winterizing primary residence questions

Assuming that everything possible has been done to prevent frozen pipes, etc by turning off the water pump and water heater circuit breakers, opening the faucets, emptying the toilets as much as possible and adding antifreeze to the tanks, if the residence has both propane heat and electric backup, I am thinking that using the propane @$2.68/gal. makes more sense than the electric, given the higher rates…both are up substantially over last year. Maybe set the propane furnace at 50, with electric @45, in case the furnace quits. I have cameras everywhere so we could see a temperature drop. The water heater is a worry as it’s not easy to drain as our house is on a slab. Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA.
Sue Doe-Nym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 03:44 PM   #2
tummyman

Better option...hire a GOOD plumber, have him drain everything and use compressed air to blowout any residual water from lines, including the water heater, add antifreeze to heating system if it is hydronic, shut off the lights and power, and LEAVE. You will save lots of money paying for propane to heat an empty house. And then no worried about when the electricity goes out.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (09-11-2022), Slickcraft (09-11-2022), Sue Doe-Nym (09-11-2022), XCR-700 (09-12-2022)
Old 09-11-2022, 04:24 PM   #3
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

I agree with Tummyman, depending on how long you're gone.
You will have to remove bottled liquids from bathroom and kitchen up to a point. Mouthwash and booze won't freeze, some, like ketchup and cooking oiul might, but put them all in a water proof container, and if they survive, OK. If not, so what clean out the container. On a slab, i.e. no basement, there is likely a utility room. Maybe you could set up a small heat system just for that space? Valuable artwork and wooden musical instruments may not like the dry air in unheated space at 0 F so total shutdown may not be for you, but it is certainly the best way to save on heating costs with no fear of burst pipes.
Some monitored security systems have a temperature option.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Sue Doe-Nym (09-11-2022)
Old 09-11-2022, 06:00 PM   #4
camp guy

Default Winterizing residence

Two thoughts come to mind to make your house ready for you being away for the winter, 1) seriously consider engaging a property watch professional to make regular (although irregular in timing)visits and walk-thrus just making sure all is okay (nothing beats a trained eye), and 2) (please forgive my rudeness), don't talk about when you are leaving or other plans (you never know who might overhear something you don't want overheard).
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 05:45 PM   #5
ITD

I think it depends on what type of electric heaters you have and whether you can really get propane at $2.68/gal.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2022, 07:03 PM   #6
icg56

Default Winterized

I found having a plumber drain the house and pulling the plug has worked out well and saved considerable costs. If you leave your power on, your refrigerator may not work if the house is kept too cold unless it is built for cold operating conditions. Never have lost a water heater or tank.
icg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 07:47 PM   #7
Sue Doe-Nym

Thank you for all the suggestions. I think I am being outvoted on this because of various things requiring some heat. I am all for pulling the plug, but we’ll cut everything back, making certain the water is off, valves open, and all those measures, plus we have an excellent house watcher when we are not here. Thank you all again…helpful advice.
Sue
Sue Doe-Nym is online now   Reply With Quote