Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Covid-19 Discussions & Information
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-08-2022, 09:19 AM   #1
MeredithMan

Default So damn frustrating...!!

Despite 2 1/2 years of doing everything "right", (masking, maintaining distance, getting all the shots, etc), I got the damn disease last week!

I had to go to a tech conference in San Fran last week. You had to show proof of vaccination to get in to the venue. Additionally, my company has a vax policy, so no shots, no job. I had to do my part playing "booth babe" on the show floor, but made sure to hand sanitize after shaking anyone's hand. At the end of each day, my vaxed co-workers and I would have dinner, maybe have a drinkie or two together, and go to bed. No reckless or risky behavior.

I got home last Friday and on Saturday, was feeling achy all over, with some sniffles. On Sunday, it got a little worse and a sore throat kicked in. I thought, "Oh, I picked up a cold in SF last week....this is what it feels like to have a cold again". Symptoms got a little more intense on Monday, and by this time, my wife, daughter, and son were all reporting they felt crummy too. By Weds, I think I had started to turn the corner, but my wife was feeling really lousy. She was insisting we had 'rona, but I said, "it couldn't be...I can still smell and taste". She took the home test and it was positive and made me take one, and yes, it was positive too. DAMMIT!!

Here we are on Friday, and my sore throat and body aches are gone. I have some sniffles and some minor head-cold symptoms left, but should be 100% in another day or two. The rest of the family seems to be tracking about 2 days behind me in terms of how their symptoms are progressing/peaking/descending.

For me, I would describe the whole experience as a really bad cold. I was never in bed sick, but did feel really crappy for 24-36 hours. I am also fully vaxed, very healthy with no chronic health issues and no history of any illness or disease. Is it the vax? Genetics? Healthy lifestyle? All of the above? Who knows....I'm just glad it is mostly behind me.

However, here is what made me feel worse than the virus itself: repercussions on my wife, son, and daughter. My wife was to travel for her new job next week to an event she has been instrumental in planning and coordinating, and had to cancel her trip. My daughter was to go to her college roommate's bachelorette weekend in Newport, RI, this weekend, that she and her friends have been planning for months. My son had to call out sick for 5 or 6 days on his first new job out of college that he just started a few weeks ago. I know in the grand scheme of things these things don't matter, but I still feel like a heel nonetheless. So back to the title of the post, So Damn Frustrating!