Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2021, 02:34 PM   #1
Charlie R S taten Island
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 4
Thanks: 15
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thumbs up center harbor in the 50s and 60s

I vacationed every year the first 2 weeks of august from 1955 to 1967 on lake shore drive at a place called "Gibbsons sleepy hollow cabins" . they were owned by john and clara (belle) Gibbson. Their niece and her family, who were from boston would come up for the summer to help maintain the property. their names were Arthur and Dotty and their 2 children Dorothy and jimmy. I also remember a local girl named kathy who was good friends with dorothy and would be there almost every day. The gibbsons sold the cabins to walter and marge gardner in the mid 60s, and the cabins were converted into condos in the 70s (and still are there today). I know this was a very long time ago, but was wondering if there is still anyone around who remembers any of this.
Charlie R S taten Island is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charlie R S taten Island For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (08-02-2021), trfour (07-16-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 02:38 PM   #2
phoenix
Senior Member
 
phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: phoenix and moultonboro
Posts: 1,391
Thanks: 39
Thanked 211 Times in 153 Posts
Default

I think we stayed there in 1981 but it was a rental but maybe we stayed close by
__________________
it's tough to make predictions specially about the future
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2021, 07:13 AM   #3
twentworth12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default

That’s my Uncle Walt and Aunt Marjorie! Marjorie passed many years ago, and sadly Walt just passed away a few months ago. In addition to owning Sleepy Hollow, they owned the house next door. I drove by it recently and it looks like someone tore it down and built a new house in its spot.

I spent most of my summers growing up at Sleepy Hollow.
twentworth12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twentworth12 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-26-2021), Charlie R S taten Island (07-18-2021), trfour (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 08:26 AM   #4
Charlie R S taten Island
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 4
Thanks: 15
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default center harbor in the 50s and 60s

Thank you twentworth for responding! I remember your uncle Walter and aunt Marjorie well. I remember their children Pam, Walt jr. and i believe a younger one also. My father and i helped Walter move items from their home in Montpilier, vt. to center harbor when they first purchased sleepy hollow. I think Waler worked for I B M. I remember he would tow us water skiing with his boat which had a very powerful 28 h.p. Evinrude motor. I know the sleepy hollow cabins were converted into condos and about 5 years ago my wife and i rented one for a week and stayed there. It brought back some great memories! We are actually going up again next month, but were staying by weirs beach. Thanks again!! I do have a few old pictures of "Sleepy Hollow Cabins" from the 60s, but they may be a few years before Walter purchased them. Would be happy to make some copies and send them to you if you would be interested.
Charlie R S taten Island is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie R S taten Island For This Useful Post:
trfour (07-16-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 06:49 PM   #5
phoenix
Senior Member
 
phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: phoenix and moultonboro
Posts: 1,391
Thanks: 39
Thanked 211 Times in 153 Posts
Default

I remember the great bakery around corner and a pharmacy that had a fax machine. I had faxes sent many times but you had to call them first
__________________
it's tough to make predictions specially about the future
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phoenix For This Useful Post:
Charlie R S taten Island (07-21-2021), Pineedles (08-02-2021)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2021, 11:25 AM   #6
JEEPONLY
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 702
Thanks: 360
Thanked 178 Times in 141 Posts
Default Next door?

Call them crazy!!!
In the Summer of 1966 my parents let my brother, me and my best friend (16-17 yo. all) rent an apartment in Moultonborough. Our family was formerly a summer-season vacationer (Lane's End), but that ended. We knew the contractor who built the original Ossipee shopping plaza out on (the old) Route 16- so that's where we worked in '66.

Anyway- I know that people STILL don't know where the LINE is between C.H and M.- by this reasoning I have always thought of them as one!

Anyway (again), the apartment building was not yet finished, so we lived rent free, as in our "off work time" we did carpentry, painting and landscaping. It was Johnny Dabillis (contractor from Billerica, Ma.) who cut us all the slack for the rent and hired us. We also worked on the garage that, I think, belongs to the Burns'.
The apartment building is still there (so are the old Ossipee shopping Center and garage)- and looking good. It's (apartment building) between the Lacy's building and the former paint store that is now some kind of health resource building(?).

Anyway (#3), my brother owned a (painted with a brush) 1959 MGA, and wouldn't let me drive it- we shopped at Ellen's Store (?)/Post Office (?) and played the "Revolver" album at least 1000 times!

I hope my attachment worked- It's the P.O. receipt from that adventure!

Just some small history of the area.
Attached Images
 
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JEEPONLY For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2021, 04:33 AM   #7
Charlie R S taten Island
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 4
Thanks: 15
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default center harbor in the 50s and 60s

thank you jeeponly for your reply.
Charlie R S taten Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 11:10 AM   #8
skprbob
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 19 Mile Bay
Posts: 145
Thanks: 0
Thanked 89 Times in 28 Posts
Default center harbor memory

In 1962, I started off as a "July Boy" camper at Camp Idlewild, eventually spending 14 summers there. Around now is when mid-season, July boys, would leave and August boys would arrive. In my case, my parents would combine picking me up, then going on a family vacation. They had a favorite place in Center Harbor called the White Diamond Inn which had very comfortable beds and excellent food. We would stay a couple of days there, then move on to a week in Fairlee, VT before heading home to Long Island (NY). Several summers later, now a counsellor at Idlewild, I went for dinner at the White Diamond, only to discover that the restaurant was closed and the motel was now condos. Oh well! At least there are still some good restaurants. Anyone else remember the White Diamond?
skprbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to skprbob For This Useful Post:
Charlie R S taten Island (07-24-2021), GregW11 (07-24-2021), Pine Island Guy (07-31-2021), Pineedles (08-02-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 06:41 PM   #9
JEEPONLY
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 702
Thanks: 360
Thanked 178 Times in 141 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skprbob View Post
In 1962, I started off as a "July Boy" camper at Camp Idlewild, eventually spending 14 summers there. Around now is when mid-season, July boys, would leave and August boys would arrive. In my case, my parents would combine picking me up, then going on a family vacation. They had a favorite place in Center Harbor called the White Diamond Inn which had very comfortable beds and excellent food. We would stay a couple of days there, then move on to a week in Fairlee, VT before heading home to Long Island (NY). Several summers later, now a counsellor at Idlewild, I went for dinner at the White Diamond, only to discover that the restaurant was closed and the motel was now condos. Oh well! At least there are still some good restaurants. Anyone else remember the White Diamond?
In the 1962 era, Camp Idlewild used to canoe into Lanes End and camp-out in the surrounding woods. They would let us (summer kids) camp with them, which was always so much fun!! Tie food up in the trees (bears), sing around the campfire and enjoy the rainy nights when they happened!
Two regular (for a few years) counselors were guys that were fun people- "Chief" and Ford Eastman.
Anyone remember them?
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JEEPONLY For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 07:36 AM   #10
SAMIAM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 2,716
Thanks: 278
Thanked 1,498 Times in 510 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skprbob View Post
In 1962, I started off as a "July Boy" camper at Camp Idlewild, eventually spending 14 summers there. Around now is when mid-season, July boys, would leave and August boys would arrive. In my case, my parents would combine picking me up, then going on a family vacation. They had a favorite place in Center Harbor called the White Diamond Inn which had very comfortable beds and excellent food. We would stay a couple of days there, then move on to a week in Fairlee, VT before heading home to Long Island (NY). Several summers later, now a counsellor at Idlewild, I went for dinner at the White Diamond, only to discover that the restaurant was closed and the motel was now condos. Oh well! At least there are still some good restaurants. Anyone else remember the White Diamond?
Remember it well. Owned by Mark Packard and our favorite restaurant back in the day
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Charlie R S taten Island (07-28-2021), trfour (07-24-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 10:55 AM   #11
duocat
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Remember it well. Owned by Mark Packard and our favorite restaurant back in the day
Worked at The White Diamond Inn for several years starting in 1971. More fun than working had any right to be.
duocat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to duocat For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2021, 12:29 PM   #12
Pineedles
Senior Member
 
Pineedles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Moultonborough & CT
Posts: 2,518
Thanks: 1,031
Thanked 637 Times in 359 Posts
Default

The White Diamond was a place that he "adults" occasionally frequented when I was young staying at our cottage on Alpine Park. I think they had to bring their own booze. The great bakery was Anderson Bakery with the the general convenience store Robbins was next door then the Center Harbor Post Office. I worked at Robbins for one summer, commuting from the cottage to the Mount's Crib, where nobody bothered my 14' Sear's aluminum boat while I was at work. I even remember our PO Box number was 25 and the combination was between F and G, between A and B, and the letter I. We carried the same PO # with us to the new PO next to the Fire station up until only a couple of years ago, nothing but junk mail, so we discontinued it. Great memories then and now, as I will complete 67 summer residence years on the lake this October.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2021, 12:14 AM   #13
mowtorman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 214
Thanks: 73
Thanked 125 Times in 74 Posts
Default Center Harbor

Lots going on 60s and 70s. Belknap college and true hippies. EM Heath in the building above the beach road. Robbins Store next to Anderson's Bakery, best Parker House rolls EVER. Nichols Store on the corner across from the library, large blocks of chocolate and clear delicious birch beer. Center Harbor Sports Shop in the realty/rubbing butts space...they would walk down from the sport shop to pump your gas. Dybros House of Gifts next to the church and the giant wrapped gift on a pole. The house was moved behind the current heaths for a long time. The supposed old PT boat that sat next to the Mount drydock under a tarp structure for about 10 years. The old see saws and the summer fire dept. Clam bake by the water. The White Diamond with magic fingers for 25 cents. Great place to stay and ski Loon or Waterville. Watch out for the red buoy it is there for a reason. One occasional town constable around. Always the same Creemee and gas station. Alvords Pharmacy. Jumping off the pilings on the end of the drydock while the mount pulled in to pick up passengers. Very large swells followed the Mount down the bay every time. Pulling into Center.Harbor to see the Mount drifting backwards before it hit a small boathouse after losing the rudder. The fourth of July parade and docks so busy you couldn't find a space. Super fun small town.
mowtorman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mowtorman For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (05-16-2022), Charlie R S taten Island (08-25-2021), jbolty (05-10-2022), Pineedles (08-21-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 08:30 AM   #14
SAMIAM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 2,716
Thanks: 278
Thanked 1,498 Times in 510 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowtorman View Post
Lots going on 60s and 70s. Belknap college and true hippies. EM Heath in the building above the beach road. Robbins Store next to Anderson's Bakery, best Parker House rolls EVER. Nichols Store on the corner across from the library, large blocks of chocolate and clear delicious birch beer. Center Harbor Sports Shop in the realty/rubbing butts space...they would walk down from the sport shop to pump your gas. Dybros House of Gifts next to the church and the giant wrapped gift on a pole. The house was moved behind the current heaths for a long time. The supposed old PT boat that sat next to the Mount drydock under a tarp structure for about 10 years. The old see saws and the summer fire dept. Clam bake by the water. The White Diamond with magic fingers for 25 cents. Great place to stay and ski Loon or Waterville. Watch out for the red buoy it is there for a reason. One occasional town constable around. Always the same Creemee and gas station. Alvords Pharmacy. Jumping off the pilings on the end of the drydock while the mount pulled in to pick up passengers. Very large swells followed the Mount down the bay every time. Pulling into Center.Harbor to see the Mount drifting backwards before it hit a small boathouse after losing the rudder. The fourth of July parade and docks so busy you couldn't find a space. Super fun small town.
Wonderful memories....also Dave Chases service station next to the old Dari Maid. Dave used to donate a car to an old local named Pete Burnham that he used to dump pick (dump picking used to be allowed : ) Pete would supply rags to the service station. His old station wagon was so full of stuff that he could not see out of the rear or side windows, only the windshield.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Charlie R S taten Island (08-25-2021), jbolty (05-10-2022)
Old 08-22-2021, 08:47 AM   #15
Cutting
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1
Thanks: 3
Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
Default Heath's Center Harbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowtorman View Post
Lots going on 60s and 70s. Belknap college and true hippies. EM Heath in the building above the beach road. Robbins Store next to Anderson's Bakery, best Parker House rolls EVER. Nichols Store on the corner across from the library, large blocks of chocolate and clear delicious birch beer. Center Harbor Sports Shop in the realty/rubbing butts space...they would walk down from the sport shop to pump your gas. Dybros House of Gifts next to the church and the giant wrapped gift on a pole. The house was moved behind the current heaths for a long time. The supposed old PT boat that sat next to the Mount drydock under a tarp structure for about 10 years. The old see saws and the summer fire dept. Clam bake by the water. The White Diamond with magic fingers for 25 cents. Great place to stay and ski Loon or Waterville. Watch out for the red buoy it is there for a reason. One occasional town constable around. Always the same Creemee and gas station. Alvords Pharmacy. Jumping off the pilings on the end of the drydock while the mount pulled in to pick up passengers. Very large swells followed the Mount down the bay every time. Pulling into Center.Harbor to see the Mount drifting backwards before it hit a small boathouse after losing the rudder. The fourth of July parade and docks so busy you couldn't find a space. Super fun small town.
So I just want to say that you never really experienced Center Harbor unless you were admonished as a child for running or making too much noise descending the ramp that led from the grocery store to the lower level in Heath's.
Cutting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cutting For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (05-16-2022), Charlie R S taten Island (08-25-2021), jbolty (05-10-2022), Nineacreguy (05-17-2022)
Old 08-22-2021, 09:15 AM   #16
phoenix
Senior Member
 
phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: phoenix and moultonboro
Posts: 1,391
Thanks: 39
Thanked 211 Times in 153 Posts
Default

There are many camps/ cottages at the end of alpine road so must have been a summer camp all with red roofs and beautiful cut stones walls on the road . Anyone know what it was
__________________
it's tough to make predictions specially about the future
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2021, 11:04 AM   #17
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 3,427
Thanks: 999
Thanked 1,296 Times in 827 Posts
Default Meet the Mount

I remember every (summer) morning the radio (WLNH?) had a remote broadcast from Center Harbor at 8:50 am called "Meet the Mount" to greet her at her first daily stop.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2022, 11:02 AM   #18
jbolty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 605
Thanks: 265
Thanked 233 Times in 138 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutting View Post
So I just want to say that you never really experienced Center Harbor unless you were admonished as a child for running or making too much noise descending the ramp that led from the grocery store to the lower level in Heath's.
and don't forget Brooks barber shop above Heath's store.

The current site of red hill dairy started out as a real estate office. there was a bit of a scandal when a woman who worked there was found dead in her home under what seemed at the time to be suspicious circumstances. don't think anything ever came of it.

The building between red hill dairy and bean road was Quoddy Moccasins and then a laundromat for many years with a couple pin ball machines; the only entertainment in town.

Back then Canoe was Longwood Diner

and only real old timers will remember Beef & Bay restaurant which was about where Meredith village savings is now, or maybe the real estate office.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 10:01 AM   #19
SAMIAM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 2,716
Thanks: 278
Thanked 1,498 Times in 510 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
and don't forget Brooks barber shop above Heath's store.

The current site of red hill dairy started out as a real estate office. there was a bit of a scandal when a woman who worked there was found dead in her home under what seemed at the time to be suspicious circumstances. don't think anything ever came of it.

The building between red hill dairy and bean road was Quoddy Moccasins and then a laundromat for many years with a couple pin ball machines; the only entertainment in town.

Back then Canoe was Longwood Diner

and only real old timers will remember Beef & Bay restaurant which was about where Meredith village savings is now, or maybe the real estate office.
Longwood Farms was my first restaurant.Bought from Dick Tower in 1972....Sold to Dick Flynn in 1978
Paul Costly owned th Beef and Bay....he's now in the entertainment business
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 02:11 PM   #20
Susie Cougar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Parrish, Florida
Posts: 414
Thanks: 169
Thanked 155 Times in 110 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Longwood Farms was my first restaurant.Bought from Dick Tower in 1972....Sold to Dick Flynn in 1978
Paul Costly owned th Beef and Bay....he's now in the entertainment business
I went to Longwood Farms before you owned it.

Paul Costly does not ring a bell. Was he the second owner?

I believe Eveline Contigiani was the first owner. She owned a catering company in Laconia and she did all the cooking at the new restaurant. Itís possible she had a partner that I was unaware of.
This was going to be quite the place for the town of Moultonborough. They brought experienced older women from Miami to train the waitresses to be able to work in a high scale restaurant.
It was divided into three sections. There was a snack bar where you go and get a cup of coffee or an ice cream; there was the main dining room and there was a lounge where there were drinks and entertainment.
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 06:48 PM   #21
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,688
Thanks: 620
Thanked 1,205 Times in 829 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
I went to Longwood Farms before you owned it.

Paul Costly does not ring a bell. Was he the second owner?

I believe Eveline Contigiani was the first owner. She owned a catering company in Laconia and she did all the cooking at the new restaurant. Itís possible she had a partner that I was unaware of.
This was going to be quite the place for the town of Moultonborough. They brought experienced older women from Miami to train the waitresses to be able to work in a high scale restaurant.
It was divided into three sections. There was a snack bar where you go and get a cup of coffee or an ice cream; there was the main dining room and there was a lounge where there were drinks and entertainment.
I remember going there when the barn was still there and so were the cows.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 07:32 PM   #22
John Mercier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 1,487
Thanks: 0
Thanked 288 Times in 242 Posts
Default

That was when the Smith's owned it.
The dairy bar supplemented the dairy farm.
My father met my mother one summer when she was a teen working there... he was helping Aaron working alongside his father (my grandfather). It was my grandfather that built what would become the dining room.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 09:10 PM   #23
WeirsGuard
Member
 
WeirsGuard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Default Longwood Farms

John M. - My Grandparents used to own the white house directly across from the Smith's barn / pasture. (Now a Tie-Dye business.) All the grand kids would spend school vacations there and nothing was better than a Frappe from Longwood's. Great place year round.
WeirsGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 09:53 PM   #24
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 3,427
Thanks: 999
Thanked 1,296 Times in 827 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I remember going there when the barn was still there and so were the cows.
So, you were born well before 1950? I don't remember the cows, but that wasn't my end of the lake in the 50's, or I was just too young to be aware of cows. Cows, to me,. were the cousins in Chester where I asked my parents for a quarter so I could buy a calf. I think the hands were plaything with me. That site became White Pines College.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 05:19 AM   #25
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,688
Thanks: 620
Thanked 1,205 Times in 829 Posts
Default

We used to stop there often on the way back from shopping in Laconia. I can barely remember but I think I do remember how good the ice cream and "frappes" were. My father loved frappes. I think I remember Juke boxes on the tables-maybe that was later, but I think I remember my brother playing songs on them. He was older.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:02 AM   #26
SAMIAM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 2,716
Thanks: 278
Thanked 1,498 Times in 510 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
That was when the Smith's owned it.
The dairy bar supplemented the dairy farm.
My father met my mother one summer when she was a teen working there... he was helping Aaron working alongside his father (my grandfather). It was my grandfather that built what would become the dining room.
Now you're going waaaaay back
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:37 AM   #27
pondguy
Senior Member
 
pondguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 138
Thanks: 472
Thanked 131 Times in 95 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Longwood Farms was my first restaurant.Bought from Dick Tower in 1972....Sold to Dick Flynn in 1978
Paul Costly owned th Beef and Bay....he's now in the entertainment business
What came next The White Hat with fine dining and Rock N Roll ?
pondguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 06:35 PM   #28
John Mercier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 1,487
Thanks: 0
Thanked 288 Times in 242 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Now you're going waaaaay back
50s and 60s.
My parents can't remember the exact year that Dick bought Longwood from the Smith's; but estimate it would have been the late 60s.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:00 AM   #29
BroadHopper
Senior Member
 
BroadHopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Laconia NH
Posts: 5,329
Thanks: 2,889
Thanked 1,040 Times in 744 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowtorman View Post
Lots going on 60s and 70s. Belknap college and true hippies. EM Heath in the building above the beach road. Robbins Store next to Anderson's Bakery, best Parker House rolls EVER. Nichols Store on the corner across from the library, large blocks of chocolate and clear delicious birch beer. Center Harbor Sports Shop in the realty/rubbing butts space...they would walk down from the sport shop to pump your gas. Dybros House of Gifts next to the church and the giant wrapped gift on a pole. The house was moved behind the current heaths for a long time. The supposed old PT boat that sat next to the Mount drydock under a tarp structure for about 10 years. The old see saws and the summer fire dept. Clam bake by the water. The White Diamond with magic fingers for 25 cents. Great place to stay and ski Loon or Waterville. Watch out for the red buoy it is there for a reason. One occasional town constable around. Always the same Creemee and gas station. Alvords Pharmacy. Jumping off the pilings on the end of the drydock while the mount pulled in to pick up passengers. Very large swells followed the Mount down the bay every time. Pulling into Center.Harbor to see the Mount drifting backwards before it hit a small boathouse after losing the rudder. The fourth of July parade and docks so busy you couldn't find a space. Super fun small town.
Guess I was one of those damn 'Hip-pies' as the old-timers called us. Belknap College was the Meteorology center of NE with Bill Hovey in charge. Many radio stations would broadcast Bill Hovey's forecast!

Most of the seasonal motels and cabins all the way to Kona Farm house students during the offseason. Many work in the summer in the area at local hospitality businesses.

Longwood Farms would grant 'meal tickets' for the school year, providing affordable delicious lunch and dinner.

Yes, Center Harbor was a super fun town in its days.
__________________
Someday may never be an actual day.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:13 AM   #30
Susie Cougar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Parrish, Florida
Posts: 414
Thanks: 169
Thanked 155 Times in 110 Posts
Default

I certainly never considered myself a hippie. I graduated in 1971 from Belknap College, what year did you graduate BROADHOPPER?
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Susie Cougar For This Useful Post:
BBS3 (08-08-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 03:19 PM   #31
jbolty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 605
Thanks: 265
Thanked 233 Times in 138 Posts
Default

My parents both worked at Belknap College. Dad was doing maintenance and construction and mom was a housekeeper.

this picture does not have much value but it's from July 4th parade, probably about 1966.
Attached Images
 
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 10:07 AM   #32
BroadHopper
Senior Member
 
BroadHopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Laconia NH
Posts: 5,329
Thanks: 2,889
Thanked 1,040 Times in 744 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
I certainly never considered myself a hippie. I graduated in 1971 from Belknap College, what year did you graduate BROADHOPPER?
Belknap College close before I can graduate. PSC took most of my credits. I attend PSC for one semester so NH College will accept all credits.

I was there from 1969 to 1972. I commute from Laconia. So I did not participate as a resident. Are you aware that there is a Facbook page 'Belknap College' as well as a website? https://www.belknapcollege.com/
__________________
Someday may never be an actual day.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BroadHopper For This Useful Post:
Susie Cougar (05-17-2022)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.61063 seconds