Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2022, 03:32 PM   #1
Laxmum

Default Does anyone have experience putting in electronic dog fence

Hello,
Does anyone know how to install the pet safe in ground containment system?
Thank you!

Last edited by Laxmum; 05-18-2022 at 03:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Laxmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 04:28 PM   #2
WinnisquamZ

I will tell you my neighbor tossed is buried wire system do to it always faulting and went with a wireless setup where he sets the area by his cell. Works terrific

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:39 AM   #3
Merrymeeting

I've put in several on separate properties for our dogs. Pretty simple. The hardest part is burying the wire. But depending on where you put it, you may not even need to do that. A lot of my runs were through woods where I just placed it on the ground. A few years of leaf fall covers it just fine.

The biggest issue is making sure you or others don't cut the wire while digging in the area at a later date. Not that it's ever happened to me
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:30 AM   #4
SailinAway

Before you decide to install an electronic fence, I recommend getting a thorough understanding of the advantages and pitfalls of these fences. Two different adjacent neighbors got three German shepherds and two pitbulls and installed electronic fences. All five dogs were unusually aggressive toward passersby in the street. On one occasion one of the pitbulls broke through the fence and came after me when I was walking on my property. I had to defend myself with my hiking poles. On another occasion a pitbull escaped the fence, crossed 200 feet across my yard to my house, and stood growling at me on the patio. I had left the kitchen door open for a couple of minutes. Very lucky the dog didn't enter the house. Such a dog has not been taught the limits of its own territory and lays claim to surrounding properties.

What I noticed in these cases was that people who have electronic fences don't train their dogs in any way. They rely solely on the fence to contain the dog. The dog is allowed to behave very aggressively toward people outside the fence and the aggression increases over time as the dog chases passersby back and forth alone the fenceline. If the fence doesn't contain the dog and the dog refuses to return to its owner (as happened with the pitbull), that's a violation of state law (dog must be confined or under your command).

There are numerous reports of determined dogs breaking through the electronic fence and attacking people or animals, animals from outside breaking through the fence and attacking the dog, failure of the fence or collar, human error with the fence, etc. When a dog's aggression is not curbed early on, the dog will care more about attacking someone on the other side of the fence than about the shock. What if a child wanders into your yard? What if a mail carrier or delivery person comes onto your property?

Some instructive links:

https://positively.com/dog-training/...ectric-fences/

https://www.thewildest.com/dog-lifes...nces-continues

https://www.petmd.com/dog/training/w...nces-dont-work

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...743ced9cb.html
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SailinAway For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-04-2023), camp guy (05-19-2022), TiltonBB (03-04-2023)
Old 05-19-2022, 02:05 PM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Sailin, you are exactly right. I have a family member and a friend whose dogs were fine with the electronic fences for years and then all of a sudden the dog wanted to get out bad enough to go through. Both were hit and by cars. I would never depend 100% on the fence. I have heard of others but these two I know of without doubt.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2022, 02:13 PM   #6
I.C.Isles

I have a electric fence. Training the dogs is what makes it work. Never count on it to keep an aggressive dog contained. And obviously it does not keep anything out of your yard.

I.C.Isles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I.C.Isles For This Useful Post:
MeredithMan (05-19-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 02:25 PM   #7
MeredithMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.C.Isles View Post
I have a electric fence. Training the dogs is what makes it work. Never count on it to keep an aggressive dog contained. And obviously it does not keep anything out of your yard.

The training is super important. We had our invisible fence through Canine Fence Co. They are expensive compared to the DIY stuff, but, the training is included. The training is actually comprehensive for both the dog and the owner. It involves sight, (flags in the ground where the wire is), and sound, (an audible alarm from the collar as the dog gets close to the wire), and sensation, (the jolt), and you the owner teaching the dog that as they get close to the flags, (the wire), and they hear the alarm, they retreat. They also get a very small jolt during the training so they associate that with where the flags are and the audible alarm. You gradually reduce the number of flags to zero in your daily training over the course of a week or two.
MeredithMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 03:22 PM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
The training is super important. We had our invisible fence through Canine Fence Co. They are expensive compared to the DIY stuff, but, the training is included. The training is actually comprehensive for both the dog and the owner. It involves sight, (flags in the ground where the wire is), and sound, (an audible alarm from the collar as the dog gets close to the wire), and sensation, (the jolt), and you the owner teaching the dog that as they get close to the flags, (the wire), and they hear the alarm, they retreat. They also get a very small jolt during the training so they associate that with where the flags are and the audible alarm. You gradually reduce the number of flags to zero in your daily training over the course of a week or two.
Absolutely true. However, if I had one, I would never trust it 100%. If the dog wants something bad enough, they just might take the risk, or forget and go through it.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 06:33 PM   #9
SAB1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
Before you decide to install an electronic fence, I recommend getting a thorough understanding of the advantages and pitfalls of these fences. Two different adjacent neighbors got three German shepherds and two pitbulls and installed electronic fences. All five dogs were unusually aggressive toward passersby in the street. On one occasion one of the pitbulls broke through the fence and came after me when I was walking on my property. I had to defend myself with my hiking poles. On another occasion a pitbull escaped the fence, crossed 200 feet across my yard to my house, and stood growling at me on the patio. I had left the kitchen door open for a couple of minutes. Very lucky the dog didn't enter the house. Such a dog has not been taught the limits of its own territory and lays claim to surrounding properties.

What I noticed in these cases was that people who have electronic fences don't train their dogs in any way. They rely solely on the fence to contain the dog. The dog is allowed to behave very aggressively toward people outside the fence and the aggression increases over time as the dog chases passersby back and forth alone the fenceline. If the fence doesn't contain the dog and the dog refuses to return to its owner (as happened with the pitbull), that's a violation of state law (dog must be confined or under your command).

There are numerous reports of determined dogs breaking through the electronic fence and attacking people or animals, animals from outside breaking through the fence and attacking the dog, failure of the fence or collar, human error with the fence, etc. When a dog's aggression is not curbed early on, the dog will care more about attacking someone on the other side of the fence than about the shock. What if a child wanders into your yard? What if a mail carrier or delivery person comes onto your property?

Some instructive links:

https://positively.com/dog-training/...ectric-fences/

https://www.thewildest.com/dog-lifes...nces-continues

https://www.petmd.com/dog/training/w...nces-dont-work

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...743ced9cb.html
This. Train your dog and don’t rely on invisible fence.put a small kennel in yard if needed.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 11:42 PM   #10
KlisterKid

Default wireless dog fence

Hello,
I have used wireless fences. Here is a link to reviews:
https://www.google.com/search?client...+fence+reviews

If money is no object get the Garmin 100 or Garmin 200
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/660805

I have the Garmin 100: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/pn/010-01041-20
One feature allows you to make an irregular shaped area for your dog; you'll have to remember to recharge your handheld and the collar both both :-) but i'm sure you knew that.
KlisterKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 09:41 AM   #11
WinnisquamZ

I will add my neighbor used a wired system for a season. When the wired failed he switched to a wireless. We are all happy with it!

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 09:21 AM   #12
MikeF-NH

After our wired electric fence got zapped by lightening last Spring...we went to HALO (Caesar Millan - the dog whisperers sponsors it and provides training videos using his methods.).

We have a high energy Gordon Setter but he is very sensitive to the stimulus. Whether its input from the wireless fence or 'corrections' done manually from his hunting collar...he never needs more than a beep or sometimes vibration. He never needs the shock. So I guess how effective the fence is depends on your dogs personality. That said, Caesar indicates its more about the training then the stimulus.

The bonus to the wireless solution include:
1.) its GPS based and has a phone app so you can "draw out" many different enclosures and set up new enclosures in minutes by either walking the perimeter with your phone app or just sitting inside and touching the map.
2.) it sends updates to your mobile phone via text when each stimulus is triggered and when battery is running low.
3.) since its GPS based...it will also track your dog so if he/she does get out...you can see within a few feet where they are to go get them.
4.) an online instructional video from Caesar walks you through the training process.
5.) you can even use it to keep your dog away from certain areas inside the house like the trash can.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 06:27 AM   #13
dpg

I've had an electric fence in Mass for 20 yrs now, same home two different dogs. I agree the up front training is the key. Any dog if it has the personality CAN cross through it if he/she wants too. My current dog when trained as a pup took the "zing" a few times (they have too during training) and she hated it. She hasn't worn the collar for a year and never leaves the yard. Sort of bazaar really we simply open the door and she hangs out in the yard, watching other people and dogs walking by and she just doesn't care! I'm towards the back of a quite neighborhood, I probably wouldn't do what I do on a main road.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote