Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-05-2018, 09:58 PM   #1
Cleared2play

Exclamation "Right of Way" question

I have been coming to Lake Winnipesaukee for over 20 years and have never experienced the hostility I witnessed yesterday on July 4th. I was coming from Bear Island and heading directly over to Governors Island on our 22 ft powerboat with my two young boys to visit friends. After yielding to several boats in my starboard sector I watched as a boat and wave runner approached me from my port side. As the stand-on vessel, I held my course and speed while keeping a careful eye on them. Instead of slowing or veering behind me, they held course and passed uncomfortably close behind me and proceeded to yell obscenities and flip me off. I threw my hands up and said I had the right of way. The boat and wave runner then stopped and turned around and proceeded to follow me into shore threatening me and continuing to yell obscenities and scaring my boys. The driver suggested that I learn boating etiquette as a boat going "this way on the lake always has the right of way." I suggested that he read the manual to learn about the stand-on and give-way vessels. The wave runner approached and threatened to come over and F*!# me up. Everyone on the boat was swearing at me. At that point I could tell the "conversation" was futile and was starting to get concerned about our safety and drove away. My question is this: is there some unwritten rule on the lake about traveling in certain directions that supersedes the NH Boating handbook?
Cleared2play is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleared2play For This Useful Post:
WinnisquamZ (07-06-2018)