Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2017, 07:26 PM   #101
KDL

In all the years I've been going through no wake zones, I have never looked at my speedometer. I do turn around and monitor my wake and adjust my speed accordingly. It's simple and it works for me.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:52 PM   #102
Woodsy

Winni83

No Wake Zones are defined by RSA 270 as "Headway Speed Only"

BUT...

Boats come in many different shapes, sizes and hull designs. Every boat has a slightly different minimum steerage speed and the boat wakes generated are all very different. What combination of throttle/speed works best for you to maintain steerage does not necessarily work for best someone else.

The legislature recognized this and settled on the definition of "Headway Speed" as 6MPH as it is easily measurable. They added the other language at the request of the MP as I stated above so you could exceed 6MPH if necessary.

If you think No Wake means 3 MPH or slower... tell that to the people who have to get out of the way of the Mount when she glides thru the NWZ between Eagle Is & Governors Is. at 5-6MPH. Or the Doris & Sophie.

In the real world its probably not that much of a difference... unless you need 4MPH to maintain steerage ant the guy in front of you in the channel only needs 2MPH..

Woodsy
Old 09-16-2017, 02:00 AM   #103
ApS

Question Next Up, A Four-Lane Channel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Phantom...The problem with that philosophy is that in places like the Weirs Channel where there is a current it can cause issues. Because boats all idle at different speeds. Boat A (a large cabin cruiser) idles thru the channel at an easy 1-2 MPH... There are 26 other boats behind him that do not idle that slow. They are forced to shift in and out of gear and get pushed sideways by the current... Maintaining steerage is difficult. Woodsy
Heaven forbid they have to change the pitch of their props, and thereby restrict themselves to...um...45-MPH.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:25 AM   #104
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Woodsy, nobody is saying there are not certain times when you might have to go 6 MPH. But when you don't need to, don't. Simple. Just like KDL said, look behind you and see if you are making a wake! How hard is that?
tis is online now   Reply With Quote