Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2016, 07:34 PM   #1
Rattletrap

Default Tips Tricks or Mistakes

What tips,tricks or mistakes have you discovered/made that might help or save other boaters?

Last edited by Rattletrap; 05-09-2016 at 07:36 PM. Reason: dummie
Rattletrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:47 PM   #2
NHskier

It's all too easy to get distracted by others on board, and staying focused on what you're doing is very important!

A few years ago we were on our way through the Weirs channel towards the main lake. I was watching the boat directly ahead of us, with the driver constantly turning to his left to talk to his passengers. As he passed the Endicott Rock monument he started to drift right, still chatting away. I commented on this to my daughter and next moment we heard a loud "thunk" as his prop hit one of the large rocks to that side of the channel. Pretty sure that did not make for a good day.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:38 AM   #3
ApS

Arrow Look Ahead—'Way Ahead...

Somehow, raising their child to change a diaper (or shirt? or PFD?) was so important, that a couple stood directly in front of the pontoon's helmsman, so he couldn't see my boat drifting slowly directly ahead. Fortunately, that skipper's boat wasn't proceeding any faster than I was, but veered sharply when my presence was eventually disclosed to him.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:53 AM   #4
Dave R

When you run a bilge blower, take walk to the stern, put your nose right in the blower output air stream, and sniff for gas vapors. It's the quickest and easiest way to know you are good to start the engine without worry of explosion. It's also a great way to discover potential engine problems early because many engine issues will create an odor and you may notice a difference in the smell long before there are any other symptoms.

When you are retrieving a boat with a trailer, start with the trailer shallow and back it in further only if winching gets too difficult. Backing in too deep to start is one of the biggest rookie mistakes I see at the boat ramp. You should never need to have someone pushing the boat sideways at the stern to try and center the boat on the trailer, it will happen automatically (assuming the trailer is set up right), if the boat is allowed to rest on the trailer as it is retrieved.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:45 AM   #5
camp guy

Default Tips, Tricks, or Mistakes

I would expand a little of what NHskier had to say, in that, whenever I had company on board I always told them to speak up if they had any question about what was happening. The "captain" needs to make sure the guests are comfortable, and this includes them being able to ask questions about something they see. After all, all the extra eye possible can only help when navigating in certain areas of the Lake.

As a tip, I suggest always having enough, and then more, line on board. Sometimes trying to get into a dock space can be significantly helped if you have a long enough line to allow a helpful bystander to hold one end.

I also found out that being proud and overconfidant is a bad combination for a captain. Humility goes a long way.

Enjoy the boating season!!
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2016, 08:04 AM   #6
MeredithMan

Default Things that I find useful....

1) Be super-vigilant. Motoboats/kayaks & canoes/swimmers, etc, all coming at you from in front, behind, and both sides. As the "captain", you need to constantly be paying attention.

2) Don't assume that the people in the other crafts know the rules of the road and will give way, etc. A fair number of folks have no clue what they're doing.

3) Although I like to indulge in "social lubricants" as much as anyone, I never drink before or while driving the boat. Way too much going on all around you, as indicated in #s 1 and 2 above.

4) Never go out without your map, boating certificate, cell phone, life jackets, anchor, etc.

5) My preference is to keep my dock lines tied on my dock and just detach the lines from the cleats on the boat when I go out. When I return, it's then very simple to run the loops through the cleats and I am perfectly tied up in seconds. I keep another set of dock lines and bumpers on the boat if I need to tie up somewhere while out on the lake, (e.g., at a gas dock)

6) When docking, you have momentum on your side. I have found that unless there is a cross wind / head wind or a lot of boat churn, you don't need to approach the dock under power. I prefer to go in and out of gear intermittently when docking.

7) Related to #6, account for any cross / head wind or boat churn when docking. I typically have a lot of right-to-left cross wind and boat churn at my dock. I dock on the left hand side of my dock, but I actually aim for the right hand side in my approach to allow for the wind and waves.

Hope you have a great boating season!
MeredithMan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post:
Rattletrap (05-10-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 08:42 AM   #7
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
1) Be super-vigilant. Motoboats/kayaks & canoes/swimmers, etc, all coming at you from in front, behind, and both sides. As the "captain", you need to constantly be paying attention.

2) Don't assume that the people in the other crafts know the rules of the road and will give way, etc. A fair number of folks have no clue what they're doing.

3) Although I like to indulge in "social lubricants" as much as anyone, I never drink before or while driving the boat. Way too much going on all around you, as indicated in #s 1 and 2 above.

4) Never go out without your map, boating certificate, cell phone, life jackets, anchor, etc.

5) My preference is to keep my dock lines tied on my dock and just detach the lines from the cleats on the boat when I go out. When I return, it's then very simple to run the loops through the cleats and I am perfectly tied up in seconds. I keep another set of dock lines and bumpers on the boat if I need to tie up somewhere while out on the lake, (e.g., at a gas dock)

6) When docking, you have momentum on your side. I have found that unless there is a cross wind / head wind or a lot of boat churn, you don't need to approach the dock under power. I prefer to go in and out of gear intermittently when docking.

7) Related to #6, account for any cross / head wind or boat churn when docking. I typically have a lot of right-to-left cross wind and boat churn at my dock. I dock on the left hand side of my dock, but I actually aim for the right hand side in my approach to allow for the wind and waves.

Hope you have a great boating season!

#4. Take a photo of registration, licence, boat certificate, and leave it on your cellphone or print and leave copy in boat... Has helped me one time when the floaty key ring that held my registration was not so floaty.

I never know where my licence is either where one day I'm driving my boat and the next I'm driving a friends and so on. Makes it easier for the just in case of hey look I do have what is required by law but I am sorry I do not have it on me right now. They can look you up.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winnisquamer For This Useful Post:
jeffk (05-10-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 08:45 AM   #8
Rattletrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamer View Post
#4. Take a photo of registration, licence, boat certificate, and leave it on your cellphone or print and leave copy in boat... Has helped me one time when the floaty key ring that held my registration was not so floaty.

I never know where my licence is either where one day I'm driving my boat and the next I'm driving a friends and so on. Makes it easier for the just in case of hey look I do have what is required by law but I am sorry I do not have it on me right now. They can look you up.
Good idea !!
Old 05-10-2016, 10:11 AM   #9
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Slow down. Seems simple, but the reality is that it's almost (almost!) impossible to injure or get injured if you take your time.

Docking? Take your time--others can wait.

Don't know where you are? Slow down until you do.

Etc. Etc.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:38 AM   #10
Rattletrap

Don't be afraid to ask questions here even if you think they are stupid.
The years of lake and boating knowledge here is almost endless.

You will be amazed at how friendly and helpful perfect strangers can be. You may even make a friend.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:26 AM   #11
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Slow down. Seems simple, but the reality is that it's almost (almost!) impossible to injure or get injured if you take your time.

Docking? Take your time--others can wait.

Don't know where you are? Slow down until you do.

Etc. Etc.
I would like to expand on this a bit. If you are going to be traveling through a congested area that's not a no wake zone, please be sure of your route before you go in and do what you can to stay to the far right and not slow down in the middle of it all. The key areas for this are: FL44, FL3, FL5, FL23, FL29, the Graveyard, and all the narrow areas between FL14 and FL50. One person slowing down in these areas can create a chain-reaction affecting dozens of boats that need to come off plane and get back on plane when safely past. This make giant wakes and washing-machine conditions that can persist for hours. If you do need to slow down, do it long before the congestion so you can get your bearings. If you plan to traverse any of these areas for the first time, pick a time/day when there's light boat traffic.

If you are going slow, please don't go down the middle of channel. Stay to the right as far as possible. This is especially helpful when you get to the end of a no wake zone and the boats behind want to get on-plane.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:00 PM   #12
Rattletrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I would like to expand on this a bit. If you are going to be traveling through a congested area that's not a no wake zone, please be sure of your route before you go in and do what you can to stay to the far right and not slow down in the middle of it all. The key areas for this are: FL44, FL3, FL5, FL23, FL29, the Graveyard, and all the narrow areas between FL14 and FL50. One person slowing down in these areas can create a chain-reaction affecting dozens of boats that need to come off plane and get back on plane when safely past. This make giant wakes and washing-machine conditions that can persist for hours. If you do need to slow down, do it long before the congestion so you can get your bearings. If you plan to traverse any of these areas for the first time, pick a time/day when there's light boat traffic.

If you are going slow, please don't go down the middle of channel. Stay to the right as far as possible. This is especially helpful when you get to the end of a no wake zone and the boats behind want to get on-plane.
A screen shot of a map with these areas highlighted would help us "newbies"
Old 05-10-2016, 05:12 PM   #13
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattletrap View Post
A screen shot of a map with these areas highlighted would help us "newbies"
FL44 is on the north route around Eagle Island.
FL3 is at the south end of the channel between Meredith and Bear Island
FL5 is by One Mile Island
FL23 is by Sandy Point
FL29 is at the south end of Bear Island
FL14 and FL15 are at the ends of a long stretch of narrow navigable passages in Moultonborough Bay
The Graveyard is between Melvin Island and Spectacle Island.

All these choke points are perfectly navigable on plane and not terribly challenging, but often confuse folks that are not prepared and they tend to slow down smack in the middle of them. There's often two-way traffic and a slowed or stopped boat makes everyone slow to avoid breaking the safe passage law.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
Rattletrap (05-11-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 08:17 PM   #14
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Not to be rude, but...

A lot of these tips were covered in Rattletraps previous threads.
Wanna be a boater?
It's a chart, not a map.
It's a fender, not a bumper.
The list goes on.
Most accidents are caused by inattention, followed by "failure to keep proper lookout". See the USCG website.

All this stuff about how to dock, anchor, etc has been well covered elsewhere.

Capt. James Kirk didn't pilot (drive) he was the CAPTAIN. Sulu was the helmsman. You can be the captain or the helmsman, but not both when guests are on board. Train your crew and rotate the duties. Who will pilot the boat and call on the VHF when you have a heart attack or fall overboard? I don't care how old you are, these things happen. Maybe on the boat next to you. Does your lead crew member have the strength to retrieve your neighbor from the water while you drive? Or should you be retrieving while s/he drives?
I carry three charts. One for the helm, one for back-up and one that is old for guests to follow along. That's why you buy a new chart every year, even though the rocks don't (usually) move. And your crew explains the chart to guests, not the helmsman. S/he has a full time job. If you think one person can do it all with guests, boating is not for you or you for my lake.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:58 AM   #15
donmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Wanna be a boater?
It's a chart, not a map.
The list goes on.
Most accidents are caused by inattention, followed by "failure to keep proper lookout". See the USCG website.

Capt. James Kirk didn't pilot (drive) he was the CAPTAIN. Sulu was the helmsman. You can be the captain or the helmsman, but not both when guests are on board. Train your crew and rotate the duties. Who will pilot the boat and call on the VHF when you have a heart attack or fall overboard? I don't care how old you are, these things happen. Maybe on the boat next to you. Does your lead crew member have the strength to retrieve your neighbor from the water while you drive? Or should you be retrieving while s/he drives?
I carry three charts. One for the helm, one for back-up and one that is old for guests to follow along. That's why you buy a new chart every year, even though the rocks don't (usually) move. And your crew explains the chart to guests, not the helmsman. S/he has a full time job. If you think one person can do it all with guests, boating is not for you or you for my lake.
Somehow I was reminded of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUlgVqSeLRk#t=55s
MeredithMan (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 10:46 AM   #16
MeredithMan

Default Now that we have a new King of the Lake...

Quote:
boating is not for you or you for my lake.
"your" lake? Seriously? Rattletrap asked a question for "tips, tricks, or mistakes". I--and a few other folks--answered his/her question in the spirit of helping out. That's what courteous people do...respond when someone asks for help.

I've been driving a boat on both Boston Harbor and "your lake" since I was 13 years old, having been taught by my father who was in the Navy. I am now 54. I think I know safe boating, boat handling, and navigation pretty well. Please don't lecture me on whether the rubber tube that protects your boat at the dock is called a "fender" or a "bumper". When you have a cold, does it really matter if you blow your nose with a "Kleenex" or a "Tissue"?

To quote Sgt Hulka from the movie "Stripes", "Lighten up, Francis"
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post:
diz (05-13-2016), gator8 (05-11-2016), radiocontester (05-11-2016), Rattletrap (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 10:55 AM   #17
noreast

Yea, I think I'll be alright without the helmsmen.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:30 AM   #18
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
When you have a cold, does it really matter if you blow your nose with a "Kleenex" or a "Tissue"?

To quote Sgt Hulka from the movie "Stripes", "Lighten up, Francis"
I believe the Kleenex vs tissue conundrum would be the same as saying all Kleenex are tissues but not all tissues are Kleenex, all thumbs are fingers but not all fingers are thumb, or jacuzzis are hot tubs but not all hot tubs are jacuzzis..
Old 05-11-2016, 12:23 PM   #19
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I would like to expand on this a bit. If you are going to be traveling through a congested area that's not a no wake zone, please be sure of your route before you go in and do what you can to stay to the far right and not slow down in the middle of it all. The key areas for this are: FL44, FL3, FL5, FL23, FL29, the Graveyard, and all the narrow areas between FL14 and FL50. One person slowing down in these areas can create a chain-reaction affecting dozens of boats that need to come off plane and get back on plane when safely past. This make giant wakes and washing-machine conditions that can persist for hours. .
A M E N !!

Nothing is more disruptive than (typically a Rental boat) literally stopping in the middle of one of these areas to consult their Chart.

and although I FIRMLY believe in "If you are not confident, slow down and verify" it seems too many people are not looking far enough ahead to do this consulting BEFORE they enter a somewhat "trick-ish" area.

In my common travel path --- the FL#44 area is where it occurs the most and the entire purpose of going around that way is to avoid the congestion of the FL#2 NWZ

FL#44 also provides more than it's fair share of boats which simply "have no clue" and cut numerous sticks to the wrong side continuously. Which forever amazes me !!

And yes, I have seen / helped at least two who were not fortunate enough to make it unscathed
Old 05-11-2016, 12:32 PM   #20
Rattletrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Wanna be a boater?
It's a chart, not a map.
The list goes on.

Descant,
Maybe you've been boating your entire life I have not. I'm 46 now, and I've worked hard, done right by my family, and I've finally gotten myself into a position where owning a boat is now a reality. I can't begin to tell you how helpful this forum has been to me. Owning and navigating a boat on Winni or anywhere else for a "Newbie" is a daunting task, especially to us who haven't grown up around it and as I don't have anyone to ask boating questions too, this forum has been a Godsent to me. Yes I've been a habitual poster since I've found this sight but in my defense.......... I learn something new about boating and the Lakes Region every time I'm here. I honestly believe what I've learned here, and continue to learn here helps me and every other person on the lake. I apologize if you think I'm covering some of the same topics in my threads that was not my intent. I was just hoping to continue my boating education.
kawishiwi (05-11-2016), Phantom (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 01:22 PM   #21
radiocontester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattletrap View Post
....Owning and navigating a boat on Winni or anywhere else for a "Newbie" is a daunting task...
You couldn't be more correct! My wife and I went out in our new boat for the first time yesterday and it was a humbling experience. I studied the Bizer and Duncan charts all winter so I thought I was somewhat prepared but once out in open water the lake felt HUGE and disorienting (even with a GPS). This forum has been a great resource but there is nothing like getting out there and learning things for yourself. It's now show time! Enjoy! Be safe! See you out there!

-Fellow newbie.
radiocontester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to radiocontester For This Useful Post:
Rattletrap (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 02:36 PM   #22
winni83

I agree. My first time on the Lake many years ago was daunting. This was before GPS and I had also spent a lot of time with the charts. The larger islands are very easy to see on the charts; from the Lake it is hard to tell what is mainland and what is an island. Only the numbered markers saved the day, but it was a long trip to my dock going from marker to marker. The compass certainly kept me from going in the totally wrong direction, but beyond that it was not much help.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:36 AM   #23
V ger

Default Information sharing and Mentoring

I don't believe Descant was lecturing regarding boating terminology. Marine terminology has evolved over hundreds of years due to the need to swiftly communicate precise information and instructions for the safety of personnel and vessel. What better place to share knowledge, experience and current observations than here on this forum. There is no other way new comers could possibly be exposed to so many levels of experience in such a wide variety of water craft. There is great value in sharing common problems and solutions weather it be newbie to newbie or old salt to shellback or any combination thereof. New comers to boating have a tremendous amount of information to learn in a subject that seems to be taught in a foreign language. It is hard to understand why the correct usage of this new language is so important. Racing in heavy weather on boats of a size where anything that moves can kill drives home that point. Events on a much smaller scale can be just as serious if a miscommunication causes a misstep while docking or a collision due to not understanding the intentions of another skipper. Nautical terminology and the vessel to vessel signaling protocols by sound , light, signal flags, and radio are all designed to prevent mishaps.

The example of fenders vs. bumpers is a case in point, fenders are generally moveable devices deployed from boats to buffer energy between boat and dock or boat to boat. Bumpers are fixed to docks to provide the same protection. instructing a crewman to move a fender or move a bumper are very different things indeed!

Boats cannot be parked unless they are on a trailer. Anchoring, docking, and mooring all distinctly different.

Although "driving" a boat has become a popular slang it has always meant to push a vessel and crew to the extremes of their performance.

The different usages of familiar terms and expressions can be bewildering but mastering them can be a reward in itself. To the experienced boater be gentle, correct rather than chastise, guide rather than correct. To the neophyte do not take umbrage to an unsolicited word of advice, remember it is far cheaper to learn from others mistakes than your own. Few people master all aspects of this sport in a lifetime.
V ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:04 AM   #24
Kamper

Don't skip on mandatory safety equipment. It's required for a reason.

You may also find ways to use normal equipment as additional safety equipment. For instance: Floor hatches can have distress signals painted to their bottom side. hen redoing upholstery use closed cell foam which floats even if cut. Have more fire-extinguishers than required and place at least one in easy reach of the helm/captain's chair.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kamper For This Useful Post:
Rattletrap (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 09:38 AM   #25
rsmlp

Default err on the side of caution

Although we all are expert at knowing the boating rules and regs () there are those somewhat less than cognizant. I never assume boaters know the right of way, 150 foot rule and such. There are lots of weekend warriors on the lake and I sometimes wonder if they all have boating licenses or even if they do exercise their know how well. Constant vigilance!
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:15 PM   #26
Dave R

Another tip: If you are the give way boat in a crossing situation and there's room to do it, turn to starboard early and obviously by pointing your boat directly at the stand-on boat, then maintain that heading for a few seconds. This will do two things: 1. It will alert the stand-on helmsman that you know you are supposed to give way. 2. It will get you out of a collision course without the necessity for a speed change.

Last edited by Dave R; 05-12-2016 at 06:41 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 03:11 PM   #27
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Tic

Rattletrap, (Others can read along, this is not a PM)
I've been gone for a couple of days, but catching up now. Re: my earlier post, which some took as offensive. I apologize. The intent was twofold.
First, to not repeat a lot of the discussions that had been in other threads.
Second. Tongue in Cheek about the Enterprise and my lake, but some took it too literally. Sharing and rotating duties on your vessel will usually mean your crew will enjoy boating more, as well as improving safety. My lake? You betcha. In NH (most places) the waters belong to the state, as a resident and taxpayer, I consider it my lake. In a parallel thought, I also think of myself as the owner of a lot of stuff around here, and I try to treat it all accordingly. (TIC, for those who don't get it) I'm also the proud (share)owner of two successful ski areas (Cannon and Gunstock) and a chain of successful retail outlets. Hope you patronize all.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (05-12-2016), Rattletrap (05-12-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 05:31 AM   #28
MeredithMan

Default Thank you for the clarification.

Descant--

Since I was the primary offender of responding to your post, I thank you for your clarifying comments. Unfortunately, with a Forum like this, we cannot see the other person's facial expressions, body language, etc. And, since the majority of members do not know one another, we have no idea of the other person's sense of humor, when they are joking, serious, etc. My apologies for taking your comments out of context.

Enjoy the summer!

MM
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post:
Descant (05-13-2016), Rattletrap (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 12:37 PM   #29
SIKSUKR

Actually, that would be the owner of 3 ski areas. You and I still own Sunapee but we lease it out!
Old 05-13-2016, 01:02 PM   #30
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Actually, that would be the owner of 3 ski areas. You and I still own Sunapee but we lease it out!
Can I have free lift tickets pleassssssssssssssseee?