Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
Scott's Yott

Default Camp called Trails End?

Trying to find out if the camp named Trails End is still on Long Island.Believe it was out near the end of the island.Was owned by the Wyman family,somewhere in the 50's and 60's
Scott's Yott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
Scott's Yott

I guess it must be gone
Old 08-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
Lakegeezer

This might be a clue. There is a Wyman Trail off of Shaker Jerry Rd, near where it meets Ferry Rd. At the end of Wyman trail, the sign says "Lands End". However, this is Moultonborough Neck, before it turns into Long Island. Folks that have been there a while say Lands End was originally an island, but fill was added to make a road out to the island, probably in the 50's. The resulting lagoon is pretty weedy. It would be very interesting to have pictures before the waterway was filled in.
Scott's Yott (08-12-2013)
Old 08-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
Scott's Yott

Thanks, I will check to see if that is a possibility
Old 08-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #5
COW ISL TIME

Scott, Lake geezer is correct Trails end is at the end of Wyman trail in Moultonboro. the entire area was owned by the Wyman family The elder Louis was a judge and the younger Louis was a Senator, my Father in laws father was a chauffeur for the Wyman family in the 40's and 50's and was given a piece of land next door to the Wymans we were there until 2005 and sold. the Wyman family sold off most of the property in the late 50's and early 60's the people that bought the property their name is Van Etten not sure if they are still the owners, a lot has changed since 2005. Beautiful area in Buzzels cove with sandy beaches and very quite,my wife and her family and my children and all of my nieces and nephews had many happy years growing up on Wyman trail in Buzzell cove. and now we are enjoying life on Cow Island
COW ISL TIME is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to COW ISL TIME For This Useful Post:
Scott's Yott (08-12-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
Scott's Yott

Thank You very much LG and CIT..That sounds like the right place. My grand mother and my mother were somehow friends of the family ( I believe my grandmother might have worked for the Wymans at some point) and spent time with them at thier camp. It is funny i have a friend that has a summer home just off Shaker Jerry rd, so I will look around the area next time i am there.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
Scott's Yott

Cow Isl Time , was your father in laws father named Herbert Horne

A christmas card from the Wymans...

A pic of my grandfather William Danforth Clark (on the right) with the judge

And a current pic i found online of Trails End
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #8
Fish'n John

My family vacationed at Trail's End several times in the late 80's. At that time it was owned by a family from Andover, MA named Hutchins. By then, Peggy Van Etten had remarried a man named Hutchins (we only knew him as "Hutch"). Peggy has since died, maybe 5 years ago, and we understand that the property has passed on to her family. We have been told that Hutch is still alive and moved further north.

My family with 4 kids very much enjoyed our vacation time at Trails End. At the time it was a stately house with tremendous charm and lots of animal heads and mounted fish hanging on the walls. The boat house had a large upstairs room with ping pong and pool tables. The boat house has recently been redone and looks great from the outside. We loved the area so much that we bought a place on neighboring Cottage Rd and my wife and I have retired here. We have lived here full time since 2000.

Thanks very much to SY, CIT and LG for their comments on past history of the house, the owners and the area. We'd love to hear more from others. Our kids are now in their 40's with their own families. We often reminisce about the wonderful times we all had at Trail's End.
Fish'n John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fish'n John For This Useful Post:
Scott's Yott (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #9
COW ISL TIME

Yes Scott that is my father in laws father. my Father in law is Richard Horne he is up on Cow Island as we speak fishing. The Horne family camp was torn down this past year the new owners are building a mansion in it's place,( I find it disgusting, showing off their wealth) I will share these pictures with my Father in law. What was your grandmothers name I'm sure he must have known her he spent his child hood there.
Jeff
COW ISL TIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #10
Scott's Yott

My grandmother was Sarah Clark. My mother (Sally Clark) also remembers the names of some of the house keepers there,but i did not write them down.