Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > General Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
camp guy

Default Unwanted phone calls

I don't want to touch the "third rail" and enter a political discussion, but I do want to ask if anyone else seems to be experiencing an unusually high number of unwanted phone calls from any number of organizations who are soliciting funds? I'm talking about political groups, social groups, ethnic groups, social science research groups, educational organizations, public safety groups, etc., etc.

All these groups "realize times are tough" and "don't want to ask for money right now", but they would like a "committment" so they can go forward with their budget and planning process.

I have steadfastly told these callers that I do not do anything over the phone - they need to send me literature and I will consider it. I never give a $$ amount over the phone. Recently, I received what amounted to a dunning letter because I hadn't sent in the money the caller had suggested as the appropriate amount to send in. I hadn't sent in any money !, but they wanted more !?.

Maybe it's just me, but I was just wondering if anyone else was getting these obnoxious calls, too.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
fpartri497

I have for the last couple of mts. been receiving many calls from businesses looking to sell their products. I now ask every one have you not heard of the do not call registry? all my phone numbers are on it.

they could care less, they just keep calling so now i report their phone numbers to the gov. registry. and that is a joke

Old 02-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #3
Pineedles

The # has certainly died down since the election, but still getting robo-calls for political support of causes. What really frosts me is for stretches of a few days or so I get a call at the same time each day and when I answer, the line is dead. It's as if they are checking their do not call list, after they dial the number. If cell service were better, I'd lose this landline in a heartbeat.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
camp guy

You may be right, Pineneedles, about checking 'do not call' lists, but also, with sophisticated voice recognition technology, some of the calls, probably robo-calls, are looking for either male of female answerers, and then pitch their call to that person.

I can't imagine being in the phone call business - the endless rejectioins and the not so nice respondents.

I wonder what percentage of favorable responses is considered acceptable.

I suppose there are people who are willing, maybe even thankful, to have the opportunity to have that type of job, but it would certainly mean a special temperment.

I already get some calls on my cell phone, particularly from my carrier telling me I have completed my initial contract and now qualify for an upgraded plan. It is very annoying, particularly when I think the call might be from a family member with a problem. The carrier doesn't seem to understand why my wife and I are happy with our original plan, do not want to change now that we have figured out how to operate our phones, and don't need to have them explain all the cost saving differences between the plans. For someone who is in the business of making things better for us, they sure make it unpleasant.

With all that having been said, I'm happy with my 2 cans and a taught string!
Old 02-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
songkrai

I mostly get calls from credit repairing companies as a family member a few years ago had bad credit. Family member gone now but the phone calles keep coming.

One of my pet peeves is the solictation of a whole group of "police" organizations.
Patrolmans Association
Chief of Police Associaton
State Police Association
Firefighters Associatiion
and more I can't remember names.

ALL are done by a profit making private orgainzation.
The police/firefighters get 15% of all solicitations. 85% goes to the profit making companies.

My concern is taking advantage of the elderly.
Many elderly do donate to too many charities - and these elderly do not have the extra funds.

I have spoken with local chief of police and the president of the state patrolmans association.
Their claim is that 15% is better then nothing.
To me, that is a poor excuse for such solicitation.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
Pineedles

songkrai,

You are so on target with the police solicitations. They make it sound as if they are calling from the police HQ of your town with the backround noice and it turms out they are just soliictors that as you said give 15% or less to the police organizations. They sound so important and commanding with their initial greeting, " This is Officer LeForge, am I speaking with Mr. XYZ?"

Give these calls the deep six, HANG UP once they start talking and ask for money. If you want to support your local police; drive to HQ in your town and hand them a check and say "Thank you for your service, please make sure I don't get any more calls for money from your solicitor company."

As for any other unwanted calls, just hang up. If you are on a "Do Not Call" list, then find out the name and address of the caller, then tell the caller you will be adding their firm to your sue list for a small claims court suit for $50.00. Tell them if they call again it will be another $50.00 added. Say thanks for the call, and please call again sucker.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
camp guy

You are so right about just going to your local Police or Fire Station and making a donation, cash or check, directly to them. This is my method of supporting their causes, be they scholarship, health and welfare, equipment, or just plain coffee for their break room. At least this way they get 100% of what you intend for them, not a measly percentage.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts
Default Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
You are so right about just going to your local Police or Fire Station and making a donation, cash or check, directly to them. This is my method of supporting their causes, be they scholarship, health and welfare, equipment, or just plain coffee for their break room. At least this way they get 100% of what you intend for them, not a measly percentage.
Many of the phone calls you get are from the "Police Association" or the "Firefighter's Association". Even though the posters above pointed out that only about 15% goes to the police or fire organization you should find out what is done with the money you contribute.

Many times the police or fire organization you contribute to funds their union or their labor attorney. They are the ones that seek higher wages, pensions and benefits. So when you contribute to them you are really sending money that will help your taxes go up.

Because public sector wages and benefits, in many cases, have now grown to a point where they exceed the average private sector compensation package I would be very careful to be certain exactly where my money was going.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #9
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I get them also. I just blast my boats air horn into the microphone on the handset, and hang up. The horn sits right next to the phones in my bedroom and kitchen. Freaks the cats out a bit though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-08-2013)