Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2020, 04:46 PM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts
Default Any Canada Riders??

With the US / Canadian border closed and not likely to open any time soon, what are you Canada riders doing this winter for your snowmobiling fix??...

I just cancelled all my Canada trips and will be heading to Maine, probably along with a million other riders!!

Safe travels!

Dan
Old 11-11-2020, 08:29 PM   #2
SAB1

My buddy is a big rider up there in Quebec area. I tend to frequent Maine. Hoping for snow. Our plan is to ride from NH up to Fort Kent, Caribou area and back.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (11-11-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 08:36 PM   #3
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
My buddy is a big rider up there in Quebec area. I tend to frequent Maine. Hoping for snow. Our plan is to ride from NH up to Fort Kent, Caribou area and back.
Rode that area in Maine last year...it was nice with plenty of snow!

Enjoy!

Dan
Old 11-11-2020, 08:59 PM   #4
prp77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
4 of us rode from wakefield nh to caribou and back about 10 years ago. Fantastic trip. Maine, nh, and vt will be much busier than usual this season.

I’m planning as much mid week riding as possible.
prp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:33 PM   #5
ApS

Arrow Hold Up a Bit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
With the US / Canadian border closed and not likely to open any time soon, what are you Canada riders doing this winter for your snowmobiling fix??… I just cancelled all my Canada trips and will be heading to Maine, probably along with a million other riders!!

Safe travels!

Dan
Wait-up for FLL!
Attached Images

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
Doobs41378 (11-15-2020), ishoot308 (11-13-2020), Prestige Worldwide (11-26-2020), TiltonBB (11-14-2020), Top-Water (11-14-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2020, 09:21 AM   #6
fatlazyless

..... definitely could have used a large foam noodle or two, sliced length wise and placed between the sno-mo and the roof ...... increases the friction grip between machine and roof .... a less slippery and more secure tie down with using rope tie downs .... plus it saves the paint .... foam noodles to the rescue ..... foam noodles attached to roof racks or a flat surface will increase the friction grip between two items with the rope tie down digging the secured load into the foam so it will not move around so much with the travel movement on a moving car/truck ..... like a sup or a kayak or canoe or 10' piece of construction lumber tied atop car roof racks.

... is all about using your noodle ....... duh!

Why ........ with two foam noodles, you will have no problem carrying four snow machines on the roof of your old Corolla all the way from Meredith to Fort Kent ....... no problem!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-14-2020 at 10:17 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:45 AM   #7
Paugus Bay Resident

Usually do our "winter" vacation in the Bingham / Greenville (ME) are with a longer cross the border trip through Jackman (not this year). Nice riding with lots of variety (usually) and pretty good rental cabins. Quebec riding is probably the best I've ever done.

Last edited by Paugus Bay Resident; 11-25-2020 at 11:42 AM.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:39 AM   #8
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
With the US / Canadian border closed and not likely to open any time soon, what are you Canada riders doing this winter for your snowmobiling fix??...

I just cancelled all my Canada trips and will be heading to Maine, probably along with a million other riders!!

Safe travels!

Dan
Everyone is going to Maine. NH keeps jacking their registration fees, now it's cheaper for a NH resident to register in ME than NH so why not? Any non-residents looking at NH or VT it's even worse.

Good for Maine!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:11 AM   #9
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Everyone is going to Maine. NH keeps jacking their registration fees, now it's cheaper for a NH resident to register in ME than NH so why not? Any non-residents looking at NH or VT it's even worse.

Good for Maine!
It's not cheaper, it's the same price at $99.00. I do agree for what NH has to offer, you are way better off riding elsewhere be it Canada or Maine. Lets face it, the southern half of the state (NH) is iffy at best in regards to snowfall. The southern trails mostly are mediocre at best. The Northern half has SOME nice trails but heck you can see them all in a couple days of riding.

A year long Quebec trail permit will cost you roughly $260.00 USD, this cost includes the required liability insurance they require all riders to have. With the quality of their trail system, non stop grooming and welcoming attitude towards snowmobilers, its money very well spent in my opinion. I'm going to miss it this year!

Dan
Old 11-25-2020, 10:15 AM   #10
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
It's not cheaper, it's the same price at $99.00. I do agree for what NH has to offer, you are way better off riding elsewhere be it Canada or Maine. Lets face it, the southern half of the state (NH) is iffy at best in regards to snowfall. The southern trails mostly are mediocre at best. The Northern half has SOME nice trails but heck you can see them all in a couple days of riding.

A year long Quebec trail permit will cost you roughly $260.00 USD, this cost includes the required liability insurance they require all riders to have. With the quality of their trail system, non stop grooming and welcoming attitude towards snowmobilers, its money very well spent in my opinion. I'm going to miss it this year!

Dan
Southern NH riding isn't meh, it's nonexistent. These days, Ossipee is the southernmost somewhat reliable riding. I've been paying attention the last few years thinking I might buy a machine, but to get to any good riding from southern NH is half a day/day commute alone.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:16 AM   #11
fatlazyless

Talking ......ugh-ugh-ugh!

Here's my poor man's guide to winter snowmobiling:

Probably the smartest move you'll make here is to totally forget about it. It's all very expensive and includes the snowmobile, trailer, tow vehicle, insurance, registration, gasoline, snowmobile clothing and snowmobile helmet ...... or, for about $150-total, go do some smart shopping at swap.com for a pair of winter walking boots, and at ebay.com for snow shoes ..... and go take a winter hike somewhere local like the Meredith Page Pond Town Forest http://www.meredithnh.org/conservati...nd-town-forest or the www.belknaprangetrails.org in Gilford.

Winter walking has the advantage of no black flies and no mosquitoes, plus you and all your clothes don't end up smelling like snowmobile gasoline exhaust .... ugh, ugh, ugh. ......

More than half the time when you go out with snow shoes, you end up just carrying them along for the walk, tied to your day-pack because there wasn't enough snow or the snow on the trail was too packed down to really need the snow shoes.

Snowmobiling! Newport to Greenville Maine - 132 miles! ...... Maine family video, 8:17-minutes, March 19 2018

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C7ndFZhU_E

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-26-2020 at 07:31 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:04 PM   #12
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:

Dan
It's $99.00 for NH residents WITH a club membership.

If you tag on a club membership which is on average about 30 bucks it's more expensive for your first machine. If you opt to just register without a club membership it is $129 bucks per machine plus fees of course!

NH is $119 with a club membership and $149 with out for non residents.

Maine is $99 bucks with or without a club membership for non residents.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:46 PM   #13
Formula260SS

Quote:

Dan
Back in 90's you'd pull into town, stop for a beer and they'd steal your whole rig right off the street. No sled / truck /trailer was safe, that all changed when they figured out it wasn't a good long term strategy.....lol..... hopefully they can pull off a decent season, like NH and ME they depend on the Sledders for $$$ god knows the ski areas are going to get hammered
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 12:39 AM   #14
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Wait-up for FLL!
Wrong way Carrigan!!
Attached Images

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote