Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 02:35 PM   #1
MeredithMan

Default 3D Printers ?

Would anyone have any recommendations for affordable, ($500-ish), 3D printers that come turn-key out of the box? My son is an Engineering student and we are looking to get him one for Christmas. Based on a couple hours of research, it seems that some need to be assembled; some don't come with the actual printing material; some aren't wifi ready....In short, it seems a bit confusing. If anyone has gone down this path already, I'd appreciate your insight.

Thank you.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:49 PM   #2
iw8surf

https://www.prusa3d.com/

Spend the extra 250 and get a prusa.. I use all different kinds of 3D printers both cheap and super expensive for work and really the filament not coming with it isn’t a huge deal. The more you print the more you’ll develop your preferred filament brand anyways.. I find some don’t work well with brand X and some do.
The Following User Says Thank You to iw8surf For This Useful Post:
MeredithMan (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 08:41 AM   #3
MeredithMan

Default Thank you Topwater...

...Got your PM. Thank you and your son very much for the info. I appreciate it!
Old 12-30-2020, 12:37 PM   #4
MeredithMan

Default The printer...

...Santa brought the 3D printer for Christmas. My wife told me to do all the research to figure out which one to get, and then she just went and bought the amazon "best buy". Oh well, my son is happy! Reminds me of a story a friend used to tell that when his parents were getting a new car, the Dad would do all this research on gas mileage, horsepower, braking, reliability, etc. The mom wasn't interested in any of that info, and when they'd go to the car dealer, the mom would say, "I want the blue one", and that's the car they'd buy...
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2020, 01:43 PM   #5
iw8surf

https://www.thingiverse.com/

Scope out that website. A lot of good info and designs that are easily uploaded to the printer.
The Following User Says Thank You to iw8surf For This Useful Post:
MeredithMan (12-30-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2020, 10:55 AM   #6
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Boat selling days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
...Santa brought the 3D printer for Christmas. My wife told me to do all the research to figure out which one to get, and then she just went and bought the amazon "best buy". Oh well, my son is happy! Reminds me of a story a friend used to tell that when his parents were getting a new car, the Dad would do all this research on gas mileage, horsepower, braking, reliability, etc. The mom wasn't interested in any of that info, and when they'd go to the car dealer, the mom would say, "I want the blue one", and that's the car they'd buy...
Among others, there were two relatively solid "tells" as to whether or not a sale was imminent:
1.A guy comes in and says he "needs" a boat. He seems pretty well informed and , maybe, even "knows" what he wants.
2.More importantly, the guy returns with his wife- and she DOES know what she wants- blue, red or green!

This is not meant to be politically incorrect- I just couldn't tell you how many times deals were settled this way (not to mention, guess who held the purse strings!).

Bottom line- We sold FUN!
Great Days!
The Following User Says Thank You to JEEPONLY For This Useful Post:
MeredithMan (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 01:30 PM   #7
MeredithMan

Default Artist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
By the way love the picture / artwork in the back ground of the cabin cruiser.
Topwater--

Thanks for the compliment on the print. It was done by Peter Ferber...he does a lot of lake/classic boat scenes. You can view his work and buy it here:

https://theartplace.biz/peter-ferber/

And that car commercial is laugh-out-loud funny. I first saw it on SNL a couple weeks ago. It's what would really happen if someone bought their spouse a car for Christmas without their input!!
Old 04-06-2023, 10:01 PM   #8
ApS

Wink Tastes Like Chicken...

We're going to need a faster printer...

Quote:
Scientists in Japan successfully 3-D printed a cut of Wagyu beef that looks just like the real thing. The team at Osaka University in Japan used three dimenstional bioprinting to replicate the cut's specific arrangement of muscle, fat and blood vessels. They hope lab-grown meats could provide a more sustainable—and delicious—alternative to traditionally-raised beef."
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...eef-180978565/
Fish, too:

https://steakholderfoods.com/?gclid=...B#scroll_page2

No Shrimp--no Lobster?
Closed Thread