Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2019, 11:48 AM   #101
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Since there were nine of you, you must have ridden in the Magic Carpet, right? Did it sway a lot? Was anybody car sick?
Actually Tis, the two Buicks were really comfortable and there was a few occasions when someone would ride inside the Magic Carpet with no problems, and with the air over hydraulic tongue dolly the trailer had a very stable ride as well.
Picture, better view of tongue dolly.

PS, I'll be getting to the Magic Carpet being loaded onto a flatbed trailer later on in the story, so Y'all ( some O that Texas blood rubbing off that I got during my operation ) stay tuned... :-)
Attached Images

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:01 PM   #102
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

Oh you had two cars? Guess I missed that.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:22 PM   #103
trfour

Quote:
Oh you had two cars? Guess I missed that.
Yes Tis, my older Brother Fred drove the 1948 Buick Roadmaster towing the luggage trailer.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
The Following User Says Thank You to trfour For This Useful Post:
tis (04-20-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 12:46 PM   #104
trfour

Getting Close To The West Coast.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2019, 01:16 PM   #105
trfour

Unhappy

SOMEHOW, that bought used luggage trailer upon readying for the trip, slid under the radar with a bent axel-right side, and we had some 26 flats to contend with during our journey West.

me on right, practicing The California Bop...
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2019, 01:39 PM   #106
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour View Post
PS, I'll be getting to the Magic Carpet being loaded onto a flatbed trailer later on in the story, so Y'all ( some O that Texas blood rubbing off that I got during my operation ) stay tuned... :-)
Come On Trfour, you can't leave us like that! Can't wait for next episode.
trfour (05-05-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 06:07 PM   #107
trfour

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose tracks View Post
Come On Trfour, you can't leave us like that! Can't wait for next episode.
Hey, that's Terry to you Moose. I had to mow two huge lawns today, and because Mom and Dad taught me how to fix things, in Retirement I'm busier than ever when I worked full time. you know, pool circulation pumps, electrical work ect ect. My Dad still has 3 US Patents of his Genius.

Brother's Fred and Brynn sprucing up the Flatstah, luggage trailer back in Stoneham.
Attached Images

moose tracks (04-20-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 08:48 AM   #108
Merrymeeting

Default Now I know how your parents did it!

Quote:
The othah golden rule = " Stay Out The Kitchen" before meals!!!!

Aftah meals, your All on KP duty!!!!
Look at the size of that wine glass! ;-) (See 2nd picture in reply #81)

Thanks for including us all in your wonderful story!
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
trfour (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 10:14 AM   #109
The Real BigGuy

Wine glass or tip jar

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
trfour (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 11:42 AM   #110
trfour

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
Look at the size of that wine glass! ;-) (See 2nd picture in reply #81)

Thanks for including us all in your wonderful story!
I couldn't have done it without Y'all, Merrymeeting. I looked for the wine bottle for that there wine glass, couldn't find it, but I did find a can O beer...
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2019, 12:02 PM   #111
trfour

They don't make whitewall tires like they usetah…
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2019, 10:34 PM   #112
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH View Post
I remember meeting you that time at Waldo Pepper's too, Terry! There were a number of forum "regulars" there and we all had the pleasure of meeting you. It was a good time. I sure miss the old Waldo Pepper's at the Weirs!
Don
Waldo Pepper's were right on my doorstep when I lived at the Camp on Paugus Bay, they always kept me from dieting, cause the food was so awesome, just like the Owner's, Wonderful Folk's, and it really made my day when I stopped to get a couple Lobstah rolls to go and got to meet you wonderful Folk's too Don!!

Old 04-21-2019, 11:57 PM   #113
trfour

My Dad made replica models of the two Buicks, the Flatstah luggage trailer and the Magic carpet and Mom upholstered the furniture, out of balsa wood. Partly because even though The Magic Carpet was 8' x 46' , there were people that wondered how a family of 11 could sleep in it. So the model had a plexie glass top so the floor plan and sleeping areas were viewable.

Pic#1 Boys rear bunk room, Shower bathroom and double bunk beds

Pic#2 Storage and bedrooms

Pic#3. Double bunks

Pic#4. Kitchen and living area
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2019, 12:02 AM   #114
trfour

By the way, this model trailer actually has many more miles on it than The Real Magic Carpet did, as it has been shipped back and fourth across the Country several times to different Siblings homes, as well as the Big Photo album Life gave us...

Pic#5. Front living area.
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2019, 01:20 PM   #115
trfour

Post Security Rest Stop +

Aftah a rest stop, we crossed ovah the California state line and us siblings performed an all out California Gold Rush! Nevah found even an old gold watch, so my guess was that someone mustah beat us to it...
And, Not A Resume Photo.
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 05-04-2019 at 07:31 PM.
moose tracks (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 07:37 PM   #116
trfour

Post Gypsy Spirit??

Another reason for our journey to California was that Mom had three Sister's that lived there, so six more Aunt's and Uncle's for us to spend some time with.

Pic#2. Aunt Sarah, Zbra and Brother's Fred and Bob.
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2019, 10:42 PM   #117
trfour

Our 4,376 mile and 34 day trek across the country ended on the evening of July 6, 1952 when we pulled into the Airport Trailer Village in Westchester, CA, a suburb west of Los Angeles. There was a warm welcome party at Aunt Betty and Uncle Mark's house in Westchester. We were there only a week and moved to Artesia, southeast of Los Angeles.

Side Note; There was a Take Out Restaurant at the Airport Trailer Village that had THE BEST fried Jumbo shrimp On This Planet!!
Pic#1. . Hey Man, Don't be Shoot'in the Breeze over here, Get Us Off'in The Highway!!!!
Attached Images

moose tracks (04-23-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 11:10 PM   #118
trfour

Palms Galore... Getty Images bought the rights to Life Magazine, they also got many of the photos that Life took of our journey west on undeveloped film. I registered at their website and they gave me some that they had since developed. This is one of them.
Life's guesstimate of all of the photos they took was HUGE, many more than they gave us in the photo album after the story in the magazine was published.
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 04-27-2019 at 01:27 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:56 AM   #119
Barney Bear

Default Westward Ho!

Trfour - thanks four your wonderful story of your trip west. How many states of the then 48 states did you visit on this great adventure? In 1947, our family of five took a long trip to the west coast in an Oldsmobile sedan. Our most expensive overnight stay was in Carson City, Nevada [$19.00]. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barney Bear For This Useful Post:
Slickcraft (04-23-2019), trfour (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 12:45 PM   #120
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Bear View Post
Trfour - thanks four your wonderful story of your trip west. How many states of the then 48 states did you visit on this great adventure? In 1947, our family of five took a long trip to the west coast in an Oldsmobile sedan. Our most expensive overnight stay was in Carson City, Nevada [$19.00]. ��
Awesome Barney!!

Here they are, Oh and I wrote them down and put them in a safe place, so it took me a Loooong time to find them.
From Stoneham MA. south to, RI. CT. NY. NJ. DE. MD. DC. PA. OH. IN. IL. IA. WI. MN. SD. WY. UT. NV. CA.
PS, I don't want to hurt myself Barney, so you do the math...
Funny, the only two States that I haven't gotten to visit yet, [ my loss ] is [ How'areya and Alaska! ] How are ya?
Also, we needed a biggah cah wash...
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 04-30-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:30 PM   #121
trfour

Post Mothah Nateah??

Thank God the snow Angel was taking a Napa when we traversed Donner Pass in the Rockies...

It was late when we arrived in Artesia, southeast of Los Angeles.The trailer was in place and Dad decided he would put the stabilizers in place the next day.
It was here at 5:00 AM the next morning that we discovered one of California's notorieties.
"EARTHQUAKE!" The Tahachapi earthquake paid us a visit. Had our wheeled trailer rocking and swaying like a washing machine. Most of us ended down on the floor, me falling from my top bunkbed out of a sound sleep, and thought that our trailer was going to, see us on the flip side.
Opened the back door and saw the COWs, in a field and pasture, falling and tumbling over like candle pins.
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2019, 11:34 PM   #122
trfour

Post Move'in Noth

Shortly after getting to California, my folks decided to sell the 49, as it was brutal on fuel. My Dad was in Transportation Management, and got transferred up to Santa Maria. We had to load the house trailer on a flatbed tractor trailer unit, by crane, to bring it up there. Although the 1948 Buick had the same engine, it was a three speed standard shift, and if we tried to tow the big trailer with it, we probably never would have made it out of Stoneham without burning up a clutch! Being a custom built trailer with accommodations for 11 people, plus all of the provisions loaded inside, it took a lot of torque just to get the thing rolling. This is where the Dynaflow transmission shined!

My Dad and I went down to the trucking co's yard to tow the trailer to the park and set it up on the lot. Well it didn't take very long and you could smell that old clutch burn'in up!! Only had to tow it about three and a half miles, and we made it okay, but had to replace the clutch that week!

Pic#1. Dad on left, watching over Home loading.
Pic#4. Coast Highway 101, on a rest stop.
Attached Images

moose tracks (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 12:03 PM   #123
trfour

Post Brother Mel

We stayed at Fort Wayne for a few days doing some general maintenance and such. Us children could be very inventive and were not afraid or shy in any way to pitch in get our hands dirty.

There was an awesome indoor basketball arena right there beside the trailer park and my older brother Mel was a phenomenal player and he'd sneaker over and maid friends with a large group of Indians that invited him into their shoot around for practice before a big game that was going to take place the fallowing night. Well, when they got to see what brother Mel could do, they were fighting to get him on their team!

Well, don't ya know come game time night that Mel, while playing Center for the Indians, scored the winning HOOP to the delight of the huge crowd in the grandstands cheering them on. OH would I ever have loved to play backup for my brother in that game. I have way bigger feet than he did, but he had about three feet in height on me at the time, so I made a better Cheerer and seat warmer.

Pic#2. Bringing our cloths back home from the air dryer.
Attached Images

moose tracks (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 11:47 PM   #124
trfour

Post If you should want a cheap lunch

Do not invite us!... A very simple $2.99 cent lunch could take off and run into the tens or more thousands of dollars in a heartbeat!
So maybe some would ask, how we did what we did????
First of all, our Mom and Dad were the Best!... Did I ever tell how they cooked? No contest, they were the best! Now, shut my face!
Grand Parents, Grand Great Parents and so on and on have embodied our very existence since history got invented here!
By the way, they did a wonderful job!
With todays economy, I couldn't imagine any self respecting family restaurant wanting to ban children under a certain age... However, some are...

I would hazard a guess that todays Moms and Dads have lost some of the ( use of the brail system, if you will ), to communicate good behavior to their siblings...

Now!.. / Waaayyyyy back when I was young, and born even younger, my parents taught me and the rest of us children just how to behave, wise? Course, it could have been the size of the herd?.. They never wanted us to get out of hand, ( so to speak ). ( And Especially Around The Dinner Table )...
Here's a pic of all of us enjoying lunch at the very exclusive Columbia Yacht Club back in 19 and 52! They loved us, and could have retired from our bill and tips alone!

Most of us lived in the Magic Carpet for close to two years out in California before we bought a house without wheels...
The world is getting and multiplying faster than Nascar

, these days, kind of needs our collective help, so to speak...

The glass half full, has been replaced with ' our world on top ', if you will.
Let us keep it all going forward...
Love,
Terry

Pic#2. Stopped for a drink, ours was Hires Root Beer since 1876
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 05-06-2019 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:06 AM   #125
trfour

Post Please excuse my CRS

Dad always said Grace, Before we ate a meal where ever we were together, and that included when Dad sometimes had to work late, Mom would wait dinner until he got home to join us at the table and say Grace...

The Columbia Yacht Club.
Attached Images

moose tracks (04-25-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 03:02 AM   #126
trfour

Smile I was the

Designated Back Seat Drivah. Here's one O my pic's NOT.
How come you see me in them striped Time Out shirts all O the time.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2019, 05:04 AM   #127
ApS

Cool What You Did There...

Quote:
Do not invite us!... A very simple $2.99 cent lunch could take off and run into the tens or more thousands of dollars in a heartbeat! So maybe some would ask, how we did what we did????
First of all, our Mom and Dad were the Best!... Did I ever tell how they cooked? No contest, they were the best! Now, shut my face! Grand Parents, Grand Great Parents and so on and on have embodied our very existence since history got invented here! By the way, they did a wonderful job!
With todays economy, I couldn't imagine any self respecting family restaurant wanting to ban children under a certain age... However, some are...I would hazard a guess that todays Moms and Dads have lost some of the ( use of the Braille system, if you will ), to communicate good behavior to their siblings...Now!.. / Waaayyyyy back when I was young, and born even younger, my parents taught me and the rest of us children just how to behave, wise? Course, it could have been the size of the herd?.. They never wanted us to get out of hand, ( so to speak ). ( And Especially Around The Dinner Table )...Here's a pic of all of us enjoying lunch at the very exclusive Columbia Yacht Club back in 19 and 52! They loved us, and could have retired from our bill and tips alone! Most of us lived in the Magic Carpet for close to two years out in California before we bought a house without wheels...The world is getting and multiplying faster than Nascar, these days, kind of needs our collective help, so to speak...The glass half full, has been replaced with ' our world on top ', if you will. Let us keep it all going forward...Love, Terry Pic#2. Stopped for a drink

'Times sure have changed. You had no seat belts, and just-recently two states have raised their speed limits—to 80—and (in Utah) 85.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:04 AM   #128
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

As I continue to say, thank you so much for sharing your story. I am so enjoying it.

joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
trfour (04-25-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 09:37 AM   #129
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
'Times sure have changed. You had no seat belts, and just-recently two states have raised their speed limits—to 80—and (in Utah) 85.
Cool ApS,

Yes, tons O change long and since 1952, however my faith tells me to keep on doing the best I can, don't over think things like writing 18 one hundred page volumes of hypothetical arguments that Chestah won in the shower.
As long as I can help my loved one's and other's, I'm good. I've almost been around the block once.

Thanks ApS.

PS, my pickup loves the pot holes down heah, and it gives me a reason to Take It Easy.

Last edited by trfour; 05-05-2019 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:53 AM   #130
trfour

Dad teaching me how to adjust a loose wheel bearing along the way on one of our chore and maintainance stayovers.
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2019, 08:20 AM   #131
trfour

Post And,

We never needed Uncle George to draw us a crowd,

As we were already pretty much there.
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2019, 10:36 AM   #132
trfour

When the rigger's loaded the Magic Carpet onto the flatbed trailer to take up to Santa Maria, they had to remove the tires so as to provide safe overall height clearance for the bridges and overpasses on the trip.

Pic. Dad between the axles
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2019, 12:27 AM   #133
trfour

Post While in Santa Maria

Fred worked and was an extreamly talented heavy Truck mecanic and he worked at the same Trucking Co. as my Dad, and was also amung the very few that could back double ttrailer combinations without unhooking them into the loading docks.

Many prayers were said when Fred thought that it was time for him to serve our Country and enlisted into the Marine Corps and after boot camp served on Okinawa as a Sergeant in the Motor Pool of his unit and taught Automotive Carburetion and Ignition. He mailed me the study text & tests, I'd mail him back the tests for him to grade, then he wrote me back saying that I was in the top 99% of the classes.
May I add, that my oldest brother Fred and I were always pretty close. He taught me how to drive a car in a local State Park back when I was six years old in his 1934 Chevy, with wooden blocks on the brake, clutch and gas peddles, so that my feet could reach them while I was also sitting on cushions so's I could see out the windshield just above the defroster vents. By the time I got to be 6.5, I could drive that car anywhere.

And, back in them days I never considered sewing the town for building the sidewalks too close to my butt either.

Sister Doņa helping the sergeant load, and I didn't want my Brother to go.
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 04-27-2019 at 03:14 AM.
moose tracks (04-27-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 02:39 AM   #134
trfour

After lunch in Utah before finishing the days trip.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2019, 04:41 AM   #135
joey2665

I think this is my favorite picture so far

trfour (04-29-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 05:31 AM   #136
ApS

Default Discover Utah...

Quote:
After lunch in Utah before finishing the days trip.
Utah—Waterfront cottages, in an ancient time when ice covered the Winnipesaukee Basin.

Utah, where, y'know, you can photograph the kids...

Mountains, natural stone arches, desert terrain, fossils, petroglyphs, snow, dinosaurs, and fast rivers for rafting. Having toured most of the US, if I had only one state to visit again, it'd be Utah. Within one State Park, I managed to drive 85 miles on a dirt road, and never saw another human being.

On one deserted paved road, I pulled over at a random site to walk the dog. 'Getting about 100 feet from the road, the dog and I turned a corner, and came upon ancient petroglyphs carved and painted into a vertical rock face. The site had probably been rarely encountered since carved into that rock—except perhaps Anasazi, surveyors, anthropology students, a few roadway workers, and one (or two) dog-walkers.

Capital Reef National Park has only 20 spaces for campers—Reserve early!
trfour (05-06-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 04:08 PM   #137
trfour

Thumbs up Total Family Adventure Enjoyment

Every place we got to see together!!
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2019, 01:35 AM   #138
trfour

Post S'mow

Rascal flats, and a wheel bearing replacement that required a file and some emery cloth to fit the new bearing on the axle spindle.
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2019, 05:42 AM   #139
Barney Bear

Default What and Where?

Wonderful series, trfour. What is, and where is this monument located? 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barney Bear For This Useful Post:
trfour (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 11:46 AM   #140
trfour

Post Thanks Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Bear View Post
Wonderful series, trfour. What is, and where is this monument located? 🐻
The Monument in Post #137 is The US Civil War Monument, Gettysburg National Military Park, Gettysburg PA.

I didn't want to discourage Folks from visiting the above, you know, when I posted it right here in black and white.

At my age, and with CRS and all, this computer stuff is like climbing for me, only somebody greased the post...

Barney Bear (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 12:44 PM   #141
trfour

Post Christmas In Santa Maria

Our oldest Sister June was working in LA. when Dad got transferred up to Santa Maria to straighten out the truck terminal there.
We had to build a real chimney on the roof of the Magic Carpet, as Christmas was fast approaching, so Santa could deliver our gifts.

Pic#1. June at work in LA.
Pic#2. Home for Christmas. June, Doņa, Mom and Linda greeting.
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2019, 12:53 PM   #142
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

The storyline and pictures here are awesome--thanks for sharing!
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
trfour (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 01:12 PM   #143
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
The storyline and pictures here are awesome--thanks for sharing!
Hi You, Just remember that I'm enjoying and having just as much fun with this, as Y'all are!

Thank you thinkxingu,
Terry

Old 04-29-2019, 05:41 PM   #144
trfour

Post Oh and

Let me S'plain,
Some may have noticed the aluminium outer shell sheets buckling from the steel frame movement over rough roads, Post#47, so Dad called Michican Arrow, ( and at the time we only had one cell phone among us ) and told them about it. So if you'll notice in the Michican Arrow add that I posted, Post#34, from around 1954 that they redisigned the outer shell using horizontal sheets with expansion joints to correct the problem.

Pic#1. Our Old partyline cell phone.
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 04-29-2019 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:43 PM   #145
trfour

Post Dad And Mom

He never asked for much, and was soooo talented in every way. ' Just A Rock ' for us!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our Mom was Too!
She knew better than to wake him for a [ Gitti-Up-Go-Day ] without having a freshly brewed pot of coffee, at the ready!
One thing that we learn in this life, is to love our Moms and Dads.
These two will forever be loved by us, and any whom got to know them...

PS, This was also inherent In my folks decision, as my Dad hadn't taken a vacation in some twenty years before we went on our journey out to California!
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 04-30-2019 at 02:18 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trfour For This Useful Post:
moose tracks (04-30-2019), Slickcraft (05-03-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 06:33 PM   #146
trfour

Dad wiring us in for another overnight stay.

The Old cellphone too.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2019, 08:45 PM   #147
trfour

Post Helps. when you go from here

Map Shows the Ultimate U.S. National Park Road Trip.
If exploring the breathtaking beauty of our National Park System in one road trip is something on your bucket list, this may be the perfect map for you.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2019, 09:03 PM   #148
trfour

Smile And, Birthday Party Fun Time's

12 every year.

Here's Brother Fred's.
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2019, 05:11 AM   #149
ApS

Lightbulb National Monuments Suggested...

Quote:
Map Shows the Ultimate U.S. National Park Road Trip. If exploring the breathtaking beauty of our National Park System in one road trip is something on your bucket list, this may be the perfect map for you.
I've hit quite a number of those National Parks, but found National Monuments less crowded and more gratifying. Several have since joined the National Parks System. Note the number of National Parks in Utah!
trfour (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 01:05 PM   #150
trfour

Something Very Special
about getting to visit National Parks and Monuments with a Large Family is, with all of our individual prospectives and points of history and knowledge gained made them all so and more enjoyable.

Lets Chat,
There comes a time for all us antiques to fess Up and admit that it is 2019...?... Us Altimers after all, have a clue to the glue.
At the same time, I owned an awesome Toyota 1/2 ton 4x4, that I used to put family and friends boats in the water with when they came to visit me up at Lake Winnipesaukee towing their boats with their motor homes.
Here again, our journey took place back in 1952! As I remember, Flash Gordon was just getting his shower cap wet!
Seriously, I don't know that there was another human being of the day, that we would be able to do what we did, without Our Mom and Dad's Love.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:56 PM   #151
trfour

Now, to get back on topic in the early 19 and 50s, our very own Rascal Flats put on a different kind of tantrum deciding to chew up some wheel bearings during our journey to the west!
Brother Fred using a file and some emery-cloth from the safety kit that Dad put together back in Stoneham MA. as the axle spindle got some damage that wouldn't allow a simple bearing swap. ( Has Anyone Else Been Hear? ) Thank God for Old School and some good Ol' Yankee ingenuity!
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2019, 12:41 PM   #152
trfour

Smile The In Crowd

Watching a video on our one and only cellphone??
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2019, 01:22 PM   #153
trfour

Smile Tea Party

Ladies Meeting.
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2019, 01:45 PM   #154
trfour

Enjoying our first Christmas together in the Magic Carpet and in Santa Maria, California in 1952.
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2019, 10:04 PM   #155
trfour

Post Only One Ouch

We 'pulled' into a trailer park ( heading west ), to park and rest over night... Now, my Dad always made it a point to convey to the Clerk at the counter, while registering, that and how come we had a 46 foot trailer and S'more!!..
The clerk said to him, ( ' We have plenty of room for you sir, and gave my Dad the keys for lot # 24 and # 25, for the Magic Carpet '), and lot # 26 for the 19 and 48 Buick with Rascal Flats.
Well, come to find out, there was No Way to fit the Magic Carpet in them two #s 24 and #s 25 lots. So, although our Dad tried his best, the Magic Carpet suffered it's first and only bruise of our journey.
The grounds crew was summoned shortly there and after and offered to extend us a Long Long extension cord, to stay the night, out in the outback, if you will! Free of charge, don't ya know!!
Attached Images

moose tracks (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 04:48 AM   #156
tis

What a lot of challenges! And what an amazing family! Good thing your dad had mechanical ability!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
trfour (05-04-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 08:09 AM   #157
joey2665

Quote:
Enjoying our first Christmas together in the Magic Carpet and in Santa Maria, California in 1952.

Wow what a great picture. The classic Christmas!!

trfour (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 08:09 AM   #158
8gv

Thanks for all the pics!

Keep them coming.

As I look at them I realize that they were taken only seven years after the end of WWII.

That means that many of the men you encountered on this trip had fought overseas.

Many of the women had supported the war effort here and abroad.

It humbles me to consider what these every day folks did to ensure our freedom!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
trfour (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 03:58 PM   #159
trfour

Thumbs up My Sincere GRATITUDE

It's not my fault.

Go's to our Webmaster Don for all of His dedication and hard work at keeping this Treasure Trove of a website up and running for all of these wonderful years now. #1, All of Y'all's sharing photos and informative info.
Couldn't be better!!

Thank you Don, and Y'all!!
Love,
Terry

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trfour For This Useful Post:
Slickcraft (05-03-2019), webmaster (05-04-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 06:04 PM   #160
ApS

Red face Shiny Object...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
I love cross country trips.
everyone knows about Rt 66 but I saw a tv show not long ago about the Lincoln highway, had never heard of it before.

https://www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/map/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Highway
Today, Rt 66 sees light traffic:

Old 05-04-2019, 12:23 AM   #161
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
As I look at them I realize that they were taken only seven years after the end of WWII.

That means that many of the men you encountered on this trip had fought overseas.

Many of the women had supported the war effort here and abroad.

It humbles me to consider what these every day folks did to ensure our freedom!
Oh yes 8gv, good points.

My Dad was drafted into the Military during WW2, however at that time Mom and Dad had 7 children and the Government didn't want to put Dad on the front line in battle, so with Dad's education and skills they offered to send him to Caracas Venezuela, South America to engineer on the Pan American Highway project. Can I take my family with, Dad asked, and they said absolutely, and we will set you up in a private home.
So off we went to live in Venezuela for 2 1/2 years, and most of us learned to speak Spanish as well...

Pic#1 me @ two and a half years old, on clean up duty, in Caracas
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 05-04-2019 at 05:13 AM.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:49 AM   #162
trfour

Quote:
What a lot of challenges! And what an amazing family! Good thing your dad had mechanical ability!!!
Absolutely Tis, and either Brother Fred or Dad could have done a complete engine swap if needed. using a tree and chain falls that were in the trunk with the safety kit.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:57 AM   #163
trfour

Sister June's turn to iron some cloths.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2019, 04:13 AM   #164
trfour

Post Pure Enjoyment

ALL of the different views.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2019, 07:05 AM   #165
tis

Quote:
Absolutely Tis, and either Brother Fred or Dad could have done a complete engine swap if needed. using a tree and chain falls that were in the trunk with the safety kit.
Wow! And they thought of everything in the Magic Carpet! Even an ironing board. But in those days it was much more important that it is today.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
trfour (05-04-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 01:10 PM   #166
trfour

Default Along The Way

The 19 and 49 Buick Roadmaster did have a sunroof.

Brother Mel came down with hives, and aftah an appointment with Doctor Mom's Home Remedy, she also gave him a prescription for some vitamin D, and he was like new in a day and a half.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2019, 07:58 PM   #167
trfour

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Purpose of the trip is to bring less not more
No Such Animal In Our Family Joey!

joey2665 (05-04-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 08:30 PM   #168
trfour

Post Besides me

Are there any other gearheads out there?

The Dynaflow in our 1949 Buick was not the most efficient, but the incredible torque it took just to get that 7 1/2 ton rig to move, and if anyone used it to tow with the fuel prices of today, they'd probably need to own an oil company! The 1949 Buick was brutal on fuel, 3-4 miles per gallon. Just remember that gas was about .17-.20 cents a gallon back then.
However, the Dynaflow was virtually indestructible and towed our house from the Atlantic to the Pacific coasts, and all of the mountains, [Rockies], and in between. It used 1/2 pint of transmission fluid over the whole trip!
Here's some history on it , Credit Wikipedia.
Dynaflow was the trademark name for a type of automatic transmission developed and built by General Motors' Buick Motor Division from the late 1940s to the mid 1960s. The Dynaflow, which was introduced for the 1948 model year only as an option on Roadmaster models, received some severe early testing in the M18 Hellcat tank destroyer, which were built in Buick's Flint, Michigan assembly plant during World War II. It was also used in the 1951 Le Sabre concept car.[1]
The Dynaflow initially used a five-element torque converter, with two turbines and two stators, as well as a planetary gearset that provided two forward speeds plus reverse. In normal driving, Dynaflow started in high gear (direct drive), relying on the converter's torque multiplication to accelerate the vehicle. Low gear, obtained via the planetary gearset, could be manually engaged and held up to approximately 40 mph (64 km/h), improving acceleration. However, the transmission was incapable of automatic shifting, requiring the driver to move the shift lever from low to drive to cause an upshift. Buicks equipped with the Dynaflow transmissions were unique among American automobiles of the time in that the driver or his/her passengers would not detect the tell-tale interruption in acceleration that resulted when other automatic transmissions of the time shifted through their gears. Acceleration through a Dynaflow was one smooth (if inefficient) experience.

moose tracks (05-05-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 10:02 AM   #169
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

I'm nothing of a gear-head. I am a bit of a history buff. You have managed UP YOUR GAME!.

Thank you- you story is beautiful and intriguing!
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JEEPONLY For This Useful Post:
trfour (05-05-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 12:05 PM   #170
trfour

Smile Anothah

Not A Resume Photo.

Eventually we took the Southern Route and returned to New England, ( some 6 and some change years later ) in a 1947 Plymouth Woody station wagon 9 passenger six cylinder with headers and dual exhaust, a huge luggage rack mounted on the roof, towing a 12' U'hall...
( Yet A Whole nothah story ) !
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2019, 01:37 PM   #171
trfour

Post The Ultimate Chef's,

After arriving in California, Mom and Dad helped out at Aunt Joan and Uncle Chick's restaurant on Santa Catalina Island, for awhile. Here they are.

Photo's by Life Magazine. in 1952.

PS, And Mother would eventually open her own restaurant in downtown LA., called ' Mom's Kitchen ' and most of the Cheft's, Waitresses and dishwashers that worked at the fancy hotel restaurants in the area would sneak over to Mom's and get into the Literal line's of folk's at any given meal time for her wonderful food and recipe's.
No child labor laws, and I washed all O the dishes, aftah school, at 8 years Hold.

Pic#2. In background, see the Lucky Strike, Yes, back in the 50s smoking was considered normal. Lucky Strike was a valued advertiser in Life Magazine... I also remember that cigarettes were ten cents per pack at the PX, when I served in the Signal Corps in the mid 60s.
For all of those that may read this, ( Do Not Start Smoking )!!!!
A quote from an old friend of ours;
"Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I’ve done it thousands of times. ~ Mark Twain".
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 05-22-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:45 PM   #172
trfour

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
I'm nothing of a gear-head. I am a bit of a history buff. You have managed UP YOUR GAME!.
You couldah fooled me with that Handel!!

Old 05-06-2019, 12:12 AM   #173
trfour

Sister's Linda and Doņa met a pooch, on there way to the store.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2019, 10:08 AM   #174
trfour

Post On The Road Again

S'more Dad got the Trucking Terminal in Santa Maria running smoothly so show-nuf got transferred back down to the LA. area and we bought a house [without wheels] where we had our first Christmas without Brother Fred, as he served in the Marines.
Pic#1. Magic Carpet delivered for unpacking, by semi tractor. Orange, CAL.
Pic#2. Missing Brother Fred, pictured on mantle from barracks. Sister Doņa.
Pic#3. Santa, caught on camera.

The neighbors lawnmower was on the fritz.
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 06-02-2019 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:07 AM   #175
trfour

Post Not nessasarely in Order,

At The Magic Carpet PrimaCare Clinic, Dr. Mom administering cough medication.

The ironing board setup was also used for surgery.
Only kidding!
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2019, 08:12 AM   #176
trfour

I don't miss the LA smog...
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2019, 10:25 AM   #177
trfour

Post S'more

More signatures for Uncle George's painting.
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 05-09-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:26 PM   #178
trfour

Post Salt Lake City

Tabernacle was Awesome too. Lot's of history and things to enjoy!
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2019, 03:11 PM   #179
trfour

Smile YUP, even back in 19 and 51

The Paparazzi were around.
However, I could even imagine the interest in so huge a space, although not quite a space ship... Even before The Magic Carpet had her name painted upon, I talked some local paparazzi into letting me borrow their camera so's I could take a picture of them peeping around trying to get a better look see!

Here's what I got...

Pic # 1. Jeepers Peepers
Attached Images

moose tracks (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 03:25 PM   #180
trfour

Post S'more Pre-Trip Planning

NO ordinary Adventure, for sure.
Took our Dad's attention with and including having to be aware of Mother Nature, through and over the trek that we traveled in our 4,376 mile 34 day adventure.
From a tornado to a raging sandstorm along our way, Dad new how to keep us all together as a team!

Pic # 1. Dad's Preparation Was Key!
An interesting side note; A wonderful friend of our family at the time, in the checked jacket, ( Jack Lewis, [center], who skated with the late Sonja Henie
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 05-22-2019 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:24 PM   #181
trfour

Default The Good Life

Amazing Grace, and soooo very Blessed to be a part of such Spirituality, also eternally Grateful am I. +
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2019, 02:52 AM   #182
trfour

Default And Here

Pic#1. Lucy thought she had it tough in the movie The Long Long Trailer.

Pic#2. 'The Real Wonder Woman'. 'Mom, and The Real Long Long Trailer'.
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2019, 03:34 AM   #183
trfour

Post Some PR for the Marine's

I think that Brother Fred was the only inductee to ever be picked up at his home by the Marines.
They found out that Life Magazine was taking pictures of us, and jumped right on it to get in on the action, sent a Sergent and a 3/4 ton to pick him up, for some PR.

Pic#2. Sister Doņa saying to da Sergent, 'Do Ya Wannah Dance'.

Photos by Life Magazine 1952 in Santa Maria California.
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2019, 04:10 AM   #184
trfour

Smile It's Not My Fault

Ever since I joined PhotoPost, back in 2002, I caught this BUG, that would Nevah let me tell any story, without PICTURES. So I really had to advance my game, trade in my WebTV for the real Mac ' coy, get a desktop, and learn how to use it, so I'm still trying, you know, speed kills.

My apologies Y'all, for taking Soooo Long, S'more on the way.

Old 05-11-2019, 08:43 AM   #185
trfour

Default Faith Helps When Life On Liife's Terms Visits

Heart rending moments for sure and also as you may imagine with a troop as large as ours, there was sort of a void in familiarity and especially among the youngest in our group!..
Again, most children get to learn their own back yards with a few bumps and bruises. Think about spreading that back yard out over 4000 + miles, and it will bring to light just how very blessed we were!!

Poor youngest brother Brynn in a freak accident, lost his balance from the second ladder rung from the floor, and just landed wrong on his left leg and broke it.
Due to an elaborate cast, that separated his left from right legs, he was able to heal up pretty quickly, and with his Doctors permission, of course.

Pic#1. Doņa consoling Brynn.

Pic#2. Off to Santa Maria.
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 05-12-2019 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:03 AM   #186
trfour

Default Two Way Street

In No Rush, to leave or get to Mount Rushmore National Memorial, in South Dakota.
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 05-12-2019 at 07:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-11-2019, 05:07 PM   #187
trfour

Post Some Associated Family History

To The Greatest Lake Winnipesaukee.

WAY back when and before Dad got drafted, Dad and a longtime Friend of our Family, Paul Johnson, worked together on a project for the Laconia Airport.
Paul was both a military early on, and a Commercial pilot, pictured below with us siblings.
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2019, 04:06 AM   #188
trfour

Post Good And Plenty Visitors Everywhere

Most folks could not fathom the shear size of the Magic Carpet, let alonne the Buick as the tow vehicle, and curiosity would bring them to our door for a look see and info about. And of course we were very accommodating.
Attached Images

moose tracks (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 08:33 AM   #189
trfour

Pic#1. Dad and Sister Doņa on the Hudson, New York.

Pic#2. Dad and Brother Bob working at Smith Transportation, LA
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2019, 12:52 AM   #190
trfour

Default 'The Rest Of The Story'

In Life Magazine, that is.

I know nothing about writing magazine stories, to sell magazines, however I did take exception to one of the writings that Life put in our story. " lost their house in Stoneham MA. due to back taxes ". The truth was that before we left, our house was up for sale, and we had to go west. Mom and Dad decided to give Power of Attorney to , and what both thought was a friend of Dad's, Lawyer, to sell the house.
So we left and were out in California and found out that as soon as we left, said lawyer jacked the price of the house Up so high that No one would buy it, and the bank foreclosed on it.
This meant, that both Mom and Dad immediately had to WORK. So we All pitched in, and I even had two part time jobs, after school, washing dishes and delivering a huge News paper route for the Santa Barbara News Press, and for Mom washing dishes at the Grayhound Bus Terminal Restaurant, and then when she was hired at the Reporter Restaurant in downtown Santa Barbara as Head Chef.
Then, back in LA when Mom opened 'Mom's Kitchen', Sister's Linda and Dianne worked as Waitresses and I washed the dishes there too after school. Dad kept getting transferred so we dug in where ever we landed.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:17 AM   #191
trfour

Post just in over the CB radio

And, a few O these here,

Over Length Permit Up Close, ovah!
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 05-13-2019 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Title
Old 05-13-2019, 03:13 AM   #192
trfour

Default Mom's Magic Carpet Kitchen

Getting breakfast ready Utah.
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2019, 02:51 AM   #193
trfour

Post Dad's Mom

Nannie getting a look see of the Magic Carpet.
Attached Images

joey2665 (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 11:11 PM   #194
trfour

Post Walking Off Lunch

At Columbia Yacht Club.

With Love, and PLEASE remember that 'WINNIPESAUKEE .COM' " ROCKS "!!
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 05-15-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:28 AM   #195
trfour

Post The Black 'HILLS', in South Dakota

Forgot to mention the part about Donner Pass in the Sierra Nevada's was a trip in itself, at 7'085 feet above sea level, and the lowest point of traversing them huge mountains, Donner Pass! Thank God the snow Gods were resting!

The Black 'HILLS'
Now, I can see the Blue Hills being called the Blue Hills back in MA. ,

However, South Dakota's Harney Peak is some 7,244 feet tall, looking at it from Revere Beach in Boston.

And NO, I'm No relation to Sarah P.
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 05-15-2019 at 09:23 PM.
moose tracks (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 12:34 PM   #196
trfour

Default Awesome Cook Too

Over several years while living in Andover and Stoneham, we belonged to the First Baptist Church in North Andover MA., and after Church Service, Mom would teach a Bible Study, and or work with the Church Quire Group, us siblings would attend Sunday School, and Dad would go home and prepare and cook Sunday dinner for us.
Pic#1. Mom saying goodbye.
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2019, 09:52 PM   #197
trfour

Cacti Tough, and nevah saw any until this journey, Up close.

Pic#1. The Mojave, Gett'in Close Up.
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2019, 11:02 AM   #198
trfour

Post An Early

'GITTY-UP-GO DAY', to the Wisconsin Dells.

Pic#1. Breakfast, in bed, Sister Doņa OATMEAL!!
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2019, 10:42 PM   #199
trfour

Post Magic Carpet

Finishing up the dishes, Sister's Linda, and Dianne taking a TV break in Mom's Kitchen.
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2019, 11:10 PM   #200
trfour

Us Siblings all had chores to do and the learning expieance has continued to help us all to this very day.

Although, none of the Life photogs ever caught me on camera. I mustah been too quick.

Oh and, Y'all can't imagine just how complicated the California Bop is and I was running outah time, so that's why I would practice every time Rascal Flats got a flat...
Attached Images