Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2019, 03:54 PM   #1
garysanfran

Default Getting there from here...

Last year, about the same time of year, I took an Amtrak sleeper roomette from San Francisco to S. Station, Boston...An incredible train trip through the bowels and underbelly of America. The parts you don't see by road...OR PLANE!

This year, I'm travelling (driving) the "Backbone of America"...Route-50 from here to there. It's a backroad, filmed a few years ago by a crew headed by Tom Brokaw who spent 3 months traveling this "Loneliest Road in America"...Some very desolate parts in Nevada and Utah...No cell service, no gas stations, little traffic for about 300 miles from Fallon to Ely...

http://route50.com/

https://roadtripusa.com/the-loneliest-road/
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
trfour (04-04-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 04:40 PM   #2
jbolty

I love cross country trips.

everyone knows about Rt 66 but I saw a tv show not long ago about the Lincoln highway, had never heard of it before.

https://www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/map/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Highway
jbolty is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jbolty For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (04-02-2019), trfour (04-04-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 06:28 PM   #3
Woody38

Just returned from Burbank, CA, Route 40 and 44 to St Louis. Many areas of Rt 66 along the way. The first time I went to CA it was on Rt 66 all the way, towing my boat.
Lincoln hwy. I-80 is the northern route west. AAA once did a trip kit for me and it was I-80. Did not do that since there could be nasty weather along the way. If time is not a hindrance taking country roads can be a great ride.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:30 PM   #4
8gv

I rode a bunch of miles on 50 going through Kansas in 2014.

The road was straight and flat.

It was July and 107°.

The trucks coming at me carried a cushion of air that felt capable of knocking me off my light motorcycle.

There were grain elevators to be seen every so often.

Where there was an elevator there was usually a flashing yellow light (or even a stop sign) and a few houses.

Once in a while there would be a gas station.

It was boring to me but marginally safer than the dirt road grids (sans any stop signs) of OK, which had been our original plan.

Try to stay awake!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:20 PM   #5
trfour

Post A Magic Carpet Ride

1950; My Mom And Dad with 9 children started to think about a trip west to California from Stoneham Ma, at the time. Now, keep in mind that at the time I was 6 years old and wasn't preview of all of their thoughts. "And In No Way Neglected"!

My family, Mom, Dad and 9 siblings took the Northern route out to California and it took us 34 days. Went site seeing when we'd stop to do maintainance, wash cloths and such. Lets see here, 1952 I was 7 years old at the time, and Life Magazine got wind of our trip and photographers followed us and took pics.
Here's a couple..
Pic# 1. Brother's Brynn, Bob, Sister June, Bother Fred, Sister Doña, Dad, Mom, me with my Lunch pale and the guitar. Sisters Dianne and Linda, and Brother Mel.
Attached Images

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 06-03-2019 at 03:12 PM.
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to trfour For This Useful Post:
ApS (04-03-2019), Barney Bear (04-02-2019), chipj29 (04-03-2019), garysanfran (04-03-2019), jbolty (04-03-2019), KPW (04-14-2019), moose tracks (04-04-2019), Newbiesaukee (04-06-2019), Orion (04-21-2019), Slickcraft (04-03-2019), TheRoBoat (04-03-2019), tis (04-03-2019), upthesaukee (04-03-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2019, 05:14 AM   #6
ApS

Exclamation Truly Lonely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
Last year, about the same time of year, I took an Amtrak sleeper roomette from San Francisco to S. Station, Boston...An incredible train trip through the bowels and underbelly of America. The parts you don't see by road...OR PLANE! This year, I'm travelling (driving) the "Backbone of America"...Route-50 from here to there. It's a backroad, filmed a few years ago by a crew headed by Tom Brokaw who spent 3 months traveling this "Loneliest Road in America"...Some very desolate parts in Nevada and Utah...No cell service, no gas stations, little traffic for about 300 miles from Fallon to Ely...
http://route50.com/
https://roadtripusa.com/the-loneliest-road/
You enter Nevada's SR-50 by driving downhill onto a roadway with miles and miles of visibility ahead. Trouble is, you're the only person on it! You ask yourself, "Why is this road even here?"

You stop your RV to check the racecar being towed behind it—and to walk the dogs, take pictures—and still, no one appears.

But the panorama changes as your elevation drops—taking-in steep round hills, rugged snow-capped mountains, the texture of rocks millions of years old, and an occasional herd of pronghorn antelope, who disappear behind a moonscape—highly suitable for a Sci-Fi movie set. The only thing missing are clusters of active volcanoes!

Old 04-03-2019, 08:02 AM   #7
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Wow!!!! Great pictures of love lake nostalgia
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:34 AM   #8
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour View Post
My family, Mom, Dad and 9 siblings took the Northern route out to California and it took us 34 days. Went site seeing when we'd stop to do maintainance, wash cloths and such. Lets see here, 1952 I was 7 years old at the time, and Life Magazine got wind of our trip and photographers followed us and took pics.
Here's a couple...
In just those four pictures it is evident that there is plenty of book material from your family and this trip.

Has the book been written?
Old 04-03-2019, 09:50 AM   #9
garysanfran

Default Driven Rt 80...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody38 View Post
Just returned from Burbank, CA, Route 40 and 44 to St Louis. Many areas of Rt 66 along the way. The first time I went to CA it was on Rt 66 all the way, towing my boat.
Lincoln hwy. I-80 is the northern route west. AAA once did a trip kit for me and it was I-80. Did not do that since there could be nasty weather along the way. If time is not a hindrance taking country roads can be a great ride.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic

It was boring...

This is my fourth cross-country trip. In 2018 I clocked 11,000 in 3 months.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:54 AM   #10
garysanfran

Default Kansas is boring...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
I rode a bunch of miles on 50 going through Kansas in 2014.

The road was straight and flat.

It was July and 107°.

The trucks coming at me carried a cushion of air that felt capable of knocking me off my light motorcycle.

There were grain elevators to be seen every so often.

Where there was an elevator there was usually a flashing yellow light (or even a stop sign) and a few houses.

Once in a while there would be a gas station.

It was boring to me but marginally safer than the dirt road grids (sans any stop signs) of OK, which had been our original plan.

Try to stay awake!
On a previous trip, I went through Kansas and remember seeing a tree...Made my day!
Old 04-03-2019, 09:57 AM   #11
garysanfran

Default Trfour...

An absolutely amazing post. The photos are really great.

Many thanks...
trfour (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 11:11 AM   #12
joey2665

Quote:
On a previous trip, I went through Kansas and remember seeing a tree...Made my day!
Recently drove from St Louis to Iowa City then to Chicago. Nothing but corn and soybean fields. lol. I love the northeast!!!!
Old 04-03-2019, 05:17 PM   #13
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv;
Has the book been written?
So far just a short story 8gv, in the Dec 28th 1953 Life Magazine. Just scroll down to page 18-24 when you get there; https://books.google.com/books?id=-T...201953&f=false

Pic#1. Cover, Life Magazine.

Pic#2. During our journey west, Sister Doña, keeping with tradition, and Brother Brynn checking to see if surgery would be necessary, taken in Wounded Knee, South Dakota where Doña hurt her knee playing outside.
Attached Images

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
The Following User Says Thank You to trfour For This Useful Post:
bostique (05-04-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 05:59 PM   #14
garysanfran

Default Bit of IRONY...

Quote:
Pic#1. Cover, Life Magazine.

taken in Wounded Knee, South Dakota where Doña hurt her knee playing outside.
Can't make this stuff up...She hurt her knee in Wounded Knee. Sing me the song!

Bet Child-Protective whatever's didn't get involved.

Wouldn't this trip be before Eisenhower's great highway build?
trfour (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 07:53 PM   #15
trfour

Wink Starting The Book

Tune hUP, 'ith Some Hep!
This was taken by Life Magazine 1952 in South Dakota on our way out to California. The day before this was taken, we had been coming up the Black 'HILLS' and the 1949 Buick's 150 Horse Powered straight 8 cylinder engine decided to eat a spark plug, then another and she slowed to a crawl, and then just couldn't pull that heavy load any further. Dad had Brother Fred drive up to the summit and drop off the luggage trailer he was pulling and come back down and towed that whole rig up the mountain! This is where I questioned the name 'HILLS' when the Summit was above 7000 foot!! You know, maybe we could have made a run at it from the bottom... Anyway, this was the Tune hUP to get us the rest of the way with NO Problems. that would include Donner Pass over the Rockies into California. And By the way, Donner Pass was just over 7000 foot as well. An adventure, for sure. Well so as to make a Long Long story short, we made it to the top! Seeing that there was no such thing as 911 in those days, but however, my Mom could yodel like no other and we got the message out for everyone to get the, out of the way cause We Were a Comi'n Down the Mountain!
:-)... That's me in my Time Out shirt taking a picture...

Pic #1. Sister Doña holding the hood up. :-)
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 05-05-2019 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:07 PM   #16
trfour

Things that Dad had to contend with before we left on the trip west, mainly involved the 1949 Buick that towed the Magic Carpet. The 1948 Buick that towed the luggage trailer just needed a trailer hitch and fender mirrors. Dad beefed up the rear springs, adding extra leaves in each on the 1949 Buick, plus a Heavy Duty tow hitch. Then after the Magic Carpet was delivered to our house there in Stoneham, Dad hooked up and took the rig on a shake down run over the road and on returning to the house found that the heavy duty hitch had bent down almost disconnecting from the trailer tow ball.
With the length of the Magic Carpet being 46' and only two axels, the tongue weight was huge so Dad tried out a few tongue dollies and ended up settling on an air over hydrolic tripple wheeler that he used for the trip.
Pic 1. Tongue dolly
Pic 2. The one we used
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2019, 10:46 PM   #17
trfour

Smile From the othah book

I was 7 years old, pushing 8.
We had spent the day in Salt Lake City before travelling south into Las Vegas.
On this leg of our trip, the bought used luggage trailer had a bent axle and would strip the rubber off a new tire on a pretty regular basis, especially in the heat of day... It and we experienced two flat tires, which slowed us down immeasurably. The decision was made in Las Vegas to cross the Mojave Desert at night.

Well, there just happened to be a raging wind and sandstorm and my Dad had his hands full trying to keep the high profile rig in one lane. Here comes a State Trooper that had been following us for a while, he pulled us over and made us put up at a truck stop over night until the storm blew over.
Now, even after the sunset it was HOT. Neither the Buicks or the Magic Carpet had air conditioning. I was tired and went to bed early that evening.
Before my Mom and Dad turned in for the night, they left the front door open with just the screen door closed for ventilation.
Next, and this could have been the early creation of how Brinks Home Security got started.

They took out Every pot & pan, piled them on the kitchen counter, tied a string from them and over to the screen door handle, so as any would-be intruder would at least wake us up!
So guess who wakes up thirsty in the middle of the night, stumbles out to the kitchen and streight away sets this crude but very effective devise off!
'HE, double hocky sticks' broke loose, and the pain of the pots & pans bouncing off of my bare toes, and my own family coming at me with rolling pins, baseball bats and guns, you can talk all you want about seeing you're life flash before you're very EYES!!
Oh, and take another guess who was on everyone's dung list for a few days, to boot!
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 04-04-2019 at 12:52 AM. Reason: add title
Chaos (04-12-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 04:15 AM   #18
ApS

Post Evaporative Cooling...

The canvas bag to the left of the license plate is for cooling the water inside: water seeps out slowly, evaporating in the dry heat to cool the contents.

Early auto "air-conditioning" used the same principle—lately nicknamed a "swamp-cooler". (Still made for house or car).
Old 04-04-2019, 06:33 AM   #19
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
You enter Nevada's SR-50 by driving downhill onto a roadway with miles and miles of visibility ahead. :
Great Picture! Reminds me of trip my wife, my Gordon Setter, and I took from Boston to Northern AZ. In 1978. We traveled in a TR-6 with a trunk lashed to the luggage rack and camped our way across. We took the southern (to avoid late fall snow) route and ended up on Rt 20 across Texas. One night we stopped near Odessa and pitched our pup tent. A little crowded with me, a big dog, and the wife but cozy.

I wake up at day break, open the flaps and there is a blizzard going with 3 or 4 inches on the ground. I wake the wife and we are running around stuffing the tent & sleeping bags into the trunk, getting it tied down, getting the dog in the TR and getting out of there before we are snowed in. Visibility is about 20 ft. Thank goodness the camp ground was pretty close to the highway on-ramp. Nothing has been plowed.

As I start up the ramp and as we reach the end a trailer truck passes. I pull onto the roadway and stay far enough behind that I can just see it’s tail lights. I had no idea where the road was. The TR is skittering around in the deep snow and ruts created by other vehicles and I’m locked onto the tail lights. If the truck went off the highway and drove out into a field I was going to be right behind it.

We drive this way for what seemed at the time like hours as the snow starts letting up. All of a sudden we reach the western edge of a plateau with a view very similar to your picture. About 2/3rds of the the way down there is a line going right to left for as far as we could see either way. On my side everything is white. On the far side everything is desert colors. Boy were we happy to finally reach the desert side.

On a brighter note, we ended up in AZ instead of Boston when the blizzard of 78 hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:48 AM   #20
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

I'd love to have that old Buick today!
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:58 AM   #21
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

Even though they aren't lake related I love seeing your old pictures!!
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:41 AM   #22
garysanfran

Default It's gonna be a long drive...

And it's never been non-eventful. Noticed at one point trfour had a police escort.

When I made the trip from Boston to San Fran in 1976 in a '67 Mustang convertible on Rt. 80, I was accompanied by a young lady I met through the ride-share line on a local radio station. She told me she was 19. Nice looking too.

We stopped overnight at her grandparents in Chicago. They took us out to dinner. When I went to the men's room, grand dad followed.

"I'd like to know your intentions with my 17 yr. old grand daughter"? he demanded quite strongly. I was 26. Finding out she was 17 kinda freaked me out. Minors across state-lines, etc. All of a sudden I realized I could be in trouble.

"Uhhhhhh. Pay for half the gas, and maybe drive a bit"?, I stuttered (she was a lousy driver).

She slept in the guest bedroom. I slept on the living room floor next to the couch...On the floor NEXT TO THE COUCH!!!

In Rawlins, Wyoming we got snowed in and had to get a motel room. We had been camping. She came out of the shower, uhhh...Not very dressed. Fearing a twenty-year sentence, I kept my word to grand dad, left her alone and felt the need for an adult beverage and left the room and went into town. I got a vodka & tonic from a drive-up window at a local bar. Drove around until it was gone and went back and got another.

Got back to the room and she "was asleep".

The rest of the drive was icy (I'm not referring to the driving conditions). In Quincy, CA we stopped at a school where she had an old boyfriend. She closed his door behind her and I never saw her again.

Got up the next day (after sleeping ON their couch) and drove into SF from the north. As I came through the Waldo Tunnel from Marin, there was the Golden Gate Bridge, the Pacific Ocean and San Francisco all laid (bad choice of word) out before me. Gorgeous beyond anything I had imagined.

Thirteen years later the Loma Prieta earthquake caused me to enter San Fran from the same direction because of the Bay Bridge collapse. The view that day was a lot different than 1976. It was after dark. No lights in the City or on the bridge. The only light was vertical columns of fire from the Marina District rising hundreds of feet into the air.

I'm driving this episode solo. My current girlfriend will join me in Meredith later via a 5 1/2 hr. flight and a short drive from Boston. I hope to make it to Lake Winnipesaukee with as little negative experience as possible...Although, I have found minor negatives create positive memories after time works on them. Even at The Lake.
trfour (04-10-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 12:01 PM   #23
8gv

It takes a coast to coast drive to make the Boston to Lake Wiini trip seem short.
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
Biggd (04-04-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 12:07 PM   #24
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
It takes a coast to coast drive to make the Boston to Lake Wiini trip seem short.
Some Friday nights feel like a coast to coast drive.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:55 PM   #25
trfour

Post Grandfather'd in...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Even though they aren't lake related I love seeing your old pictures!!
Mom and Dad eloped in Nashua NH. back in the early 30s and Honeymooned in Meredith and the Lakes Region. Plus I had many other relatives here, then and to this day...
Love you Tis,
Terry

Pic#1. Sister Doña saying, " Where is everyone? ", and Brother Brynn saying, " Don't worry sistah, I'll finger it out! "
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 04-04-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:29 PM   #26
trfour

Default On the Hudson

Pic#1. Doña and Fred, Statue of Liberty in background.
Pic#2. Neither Buick was equipped with a sunroof, so it was difficult for viewing the Empire State Building while we were driving around looking for a parking spot, to visit it.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2019, 03:11 PM   #27
trfour

Default Being from the East Coast

Pic#1. And finding out everything you need to know about waring open shoes and cacti. Sister Linda and Doctor Mom.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2019, 03:21 PM   #28
joey2665

These photos are incredible. How lucky you are to have accomplished all this traveling with your family as a child.

The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
trfour (04-04-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 03:42 PM   #29
trfour

Post A True Magic Carpet Ride It was

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
These photos are incredible. How lucky you are to have accomplished all this traveling with your family as a child.
It was Joey. We had to stop in each State and get an Overlength permit for the big-rig. I am forever grateful for Winnipesaukee.com for allowing me to share and view the Treasure Trove 0f info and all of the wonderful memories we all get to share here.
Love,
Terry

PS, Also, he would register them with our insurance Co. Dad, about to register 'Moe Over Length Permits!...
So we didn't have all open road, without some bubble gum!
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 05-05-2019 at 11:27 PM.
joey2665 (04-04-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 06:05 PM   #30
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts
Default Thanks for sharing

Thanks Garysanfran and trfour for sharing these experiences. I don't have pictures but you bring back recollections of trips my wife and I made when I first joined the Navy. We were living at the lake, and my first duty was to report to Pensacola FL. Six months there, then three months each at Corpus Christi, TX, Newport, RI, Norfolk, VA, Pax River, MD and finally to Brunswick, ME for a few months before my squadron deployed overseas for 4 months. We had a 4x8 plywood trailer I had built based on a 1932 axle I scavenged from my folks barn. Harry Swinnerton in Center Harbor swapped me out some wire wheels so that I had two the same size instead of
mismatched, and at that time you could buy tires from Sears to fit antiques. We were in business. Everything we owned fit in there except the St. Bernard who filled up the back seat of our Mustang.
When I was in grade school we used to visit my grandparents in Hastings FL for a week, then go tourist for a week before flying back to Massachusetts. I remember driving (riding for me) from Hastings (near St. Augustine), to Sarasota. Mile after mile, hour after hour, it seemed, of orange groves. Like magic (pardon me) not many years later, the groves were gone replaced by monorails, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Tomorrowland. Around this time, I thought my wife was a little magical. She demonstrated once between Pensacola and Orlando. She whispered some magic words, and I turned into a motel.

OK OK. Groan. But the rest is true history.

Also, between Pensacola and Orlando. We were now based in Maine and my wife worked at a Volvo dealership. We were driving a brand new Volvo 164, top of the line, with Maine dealer plates. The speedometer cable broke, so we were using the tachometer to gauge speed. In 4th gear, 2500 rpm was 50 mph, 3500 was 70 mph. No problem, except we forgot to compensate for the electric overdrive which reduced 450 rpm. Oops. The state trooper who stopped us suggested we judge our speed by not quickly passing every other car on the road. I can imagine his thoughts. Two young kids in FL in a very expensive car with dealer plates going way fast. Instead of walking up to us, he opened his door and stood behind it and waved for us to get out. I expect my driver's license convinced him a ticket wouldn't go anywhere. It was a NH license, with a Maine address, and being in the Navy, I renewed it by mail, so it had a stamp on it that said "Valid without photo or signature". I think he liked the Navy ID card better and we were on our way, no longer in the passing lane.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (04-05-2019), trfour (04-06-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 01:26 AM   #31
trfour

Post I thank everyone...

Who enjoyed and thanked and or commented on the Life Magazine photos. I did try several years ago now to post about our journey west in a more appropriate section of this website and ran into problems due to my very limited computer skills and eyesight, so I gave up. I never thought I'd be this Old, so Fast.

After our story was published, Life Magazine presented us with a Huge photo album with both the published photos and many of the unpublished photos that were taken along the way.

Pic#1 Preface inside the cover.
Pic#2. Dad with permit in hand after another of many Highway Petrol stops.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2019, 05:35 AM   #32
ApS

Red face Immobilzed Camping "On the Road"...

Quote:
It was Joey. We had to stop in each State and get an Overlength permit for the big-rig. I am forever grateful for Winnipesaukee.com for allowing me to share and view the Treasure Trove 0f info and all of the wonderful memories we all get to share here. Love, Terry
'Reminds me of pulling into an Arizona U.S. National Monument campground.

The sign sez, "Turn left to campground"—but there was no "turning right". An oversized RV had made that unauthorized turn, then backed the chassis' rear corner downhill onto a outcropping of sandstone, and lifted a drive wheel 6" off the ground.

Stuck—80 miles from the nearest town!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:43 AM   #33
joey2665

Quote:
It was Joey. We had to stop in each State and get an Overlength permit for the big-rig. I am forever grateful for Winnipesaukee.com for allowing me to share and view the Treasure Trove 0f info and all of the wonderful memories we all get to share here.
Love,
Terry
Wow what a pain in the butt to be stopped constantly by troopers for being over length. I did not know back then you needed a permit to pull a large camper.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:55 AM   #34
trfour

Quote:
Wow what a pain in the butt to be stopped constantly by troopers for being over length. I did not know back then you needed a permit to pull a large camper.
Back then, rail boxcars were only 40' long, and the Magic Carpet was a house trailer, and it was custom built for us by Michigan Arrow.
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trfour For This Useful Post:
Descant (04-06-2019), joey2665 (04-06-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 10:21 AM   #35
trfour

Default OH, And

Thank God gasoline averaged about 17 cents a gallon back then too, we'd a had to own Exon Mobile as the 1949 Buick pulling that monstah got just under four miles per gallon - +. We stopped for gas a few times over the 4,376 mile trip as well!
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 04-06-2019 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:19 AM   #36
trfour

Default Open House

Friends and neighbors getting a tour of the Magic Carpet, many of whom didn't want us to leave.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2019, 11:38 AM   #37
trfour

Default Saying Goodbye

To our Pastor Henderson.

From left, Dad Mom Pastor Henderson Doña Mel and June.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2019, 11:52 AM   #38
joey2665

Quote:
Friends and neighbors getting a tour of the Magic Carpet, many of whom didn't want us to leave.
How long was the trip across the country?

Old 04-06-2019, 12:58 PM   #39
trfour

Quote:
How long was the trip across the country.
4,376 miles, to be exact.

Pic#1. This photo will give a size and length prospective, and many of the Park owners couldn't believe how my Dad backed that Big-Rig into some of the lots we stayed at...
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2019, 02:52 PM   #40
joey2665

Quote:
4,376 miles, to be exact.

Pic#1. This photo will give a size and length prospective, and many of the Park owners couldn't believe how my Dad backed that Big-Rig into some of the lots we stayed at...
Wow that’s a long trip with a rig like that. With all the stops I assume it took you about a month there and back.

Old 04-06-2019, 03:19 PM   #41
Descant

Default Inspiration?

Trfour, lots of good stories here. Thank you for sharing. I wonder if the LIFE magazine story was the inspiration for the movie, "The Long Long Trailer" starring Lucille Ball and Desi Arnez. Here's the trailer, if you'll excuse the unavoidable pun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=Ucb9O8q1eOc
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (04-06-2019), joey2665 (04-06-2019), pondguy (04-06-2019), trfour (04-06-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 08:35 PM   #42
trfour

Quote:
Wow that’s a long trip with a rig like that. With all the stops I assume it took you about a month.
Yes Joey, 34 days, which I stated in post #5.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:08 PM   #43
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Trfour, lots of good stories here. Thank you for sharing. I wonder if the LIFE magazine story was the inspiration for the movie, "The Long Long Trailer" starring Lucille Ball and Desi Arnez. Here's the trailer, if you'll excuse the unavoidable pun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=Ucb9O8q1eOc
Hi Descant,
The movie was actually based from the Book, " The Long Long Trailer ", written by Clinton Twiss that came out in 1951. The book was the chronicle of a couples year-long journey in a 28' Airway Zephyr ($4,200) towed by a Chrysler New Yorker convertible ($3,500) both purchased new just for the adventure.

Descant (04-07-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 09:21 PM   #44
trfour

The 1949 Buick Roadmaster was equipped with all of the bells and whistles of the day which included a back-up camera, just for hookup purposes. Here a still...
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2019, 09:38 PM   #45
trfour

Our Uncle George was a Commercial Artist in New York and had some buddy photographers at Life Magazine, and he was the one to let the cat out of the bag to Life about our trip.

Pic#1. Uncle George's rendition of our journey out to California.
Attached Images

garysanfran (04-07-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 08:48 PM   #46
trfour

Mom mounted Uncle George's Cartoon drawing on a boarder board and had everyone who visited, Open House. and before we left, front and back full.

Pic#2. We visited the Morman Tabernacle in Salt Lake City Utah.
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2019, 09:47 PM   #47
trfour

Pic#1. Playing Catch?
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2019, 11:09 AM   #48
trfour

Packing up.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2019, 11:29 AM   #49
tis

Your poor mother? NINE kids???? She had to be amazing and to do a trip like that???
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
trfour (04-08-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 11:35 AM   #50
trfour

Pic#1. On the Hudson.

Pic#2. Leaving New York headed to the Gettysburg National Military Park.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2019, 12:39 PM   #51
trfour

Quote:
Your poor mother? NINE kids???? She had to be amazing and to do a trip like that???
OH, YES!! She used to make all of our clothes, including suits for Church, cheerleader's out fits for my Sisters, she reupholstered furniture, wallpapered and painted, and cooked, OMG!! Between Her and my Dad, there wasn't anything they couldn't do.
After we got out to California, She even won " Queen For A Day!
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 04-10-2019 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:37 PM   #52
garysanfran

Default Nothing like the resolution...

Of old B&W photos...And the nostalgia that goes with it.

Do you recall what kind of camera(s) was (were) used? Rolleiflexes were common among journalists then. Common format was 4x5 and 4x6.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:36 PM   #53
tis

Wow, tr, she truly deserved a medal!!
trfour (04-08-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 09:46 PM   #54
trfour

Quote:
Of old B&W photos...And the nostalgia that goes with it.

Do you recall what kind of camera(s) was (were) used? Rolleiflexes were common among journalists then. Common format was 4x5 and 4x6.
I do not recall Gary, but I would imagine by now you could find out online.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:03 PM   #55
trfour

Quote:
Wow, tr, she truly deserved a medal!!
Hi Tis,
After being in California for awhile, we were Blessed by a new Sister Sandra, I guess to even up us siblings to 5 Girl's and 5 Boy's.

Pic#1. Sister Dianne and newborn Sandra.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2019, 06:37 AM   #56
ApS

Arrow Still Available—Still Being Used...

Quote:
Of old B&W photos...And the nostalgia that goes with it. Do you recall what kind of camera(s) was (were) used? Rolleiflexes were common among journalists then. Common format was 4x5 and 4x6.
Rolleiflex (and Rolleicord) came onto the market in the 1960s, so the camera used was probably a 4x5 "Press camera". (Medium or Large format). Yashica "twin-lens" clones appeared about the same time—selling for less than $30! (Seeing their quality, I ordered three Yashicamat 124G cameras in the mid-1970s).

Among other medium-format cameras, I used a Pentax 645, Zeiss Nettar, and a most-excellent Kowa SLR.

This older (2x4, 6x6, 2¼x2¼) format is seeing a resurgence, with camera prices edging-up. (Mint-condition Yashica 124Gs are selling for 10x their original price)!

And why not? Large-format cameras claim a 480 megapixel quality.

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:54 AM   #57
tis

Well, that explains it! I was trying to figure out if it was nine or ten. I guess the good thing is that she had plenty of helpers once the first ones got a little older.
trfour (04-09-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 07:42 AM   #58
trfour

Quote:
Rolleiflex (and Rolleicord) came onto the market in the 1960s, so the camera used was probably a 4x5 "Press camera". (Medium or Large format). Yashica "twin-lens" clones appeared about the same time—selling for less than $30! (Seeing their quality, I ordered three Yashicamat 124G cameras in the mid-1970s).
Hi ApS,

Bout all I remember about the cameras Life used on our journey back in 1952 was they didn't use the canvas hoods and gun powder flashes.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:00 AM   #59
joey2665

Quote:
Hi ApS,

Bout all I remember about the cameras Life used on our journey back in 1952 was they didn't use the canvas hoods and gun powder flashes.

That’s is hilarious I love it. I have so enjoyed this thread it is fantastic. ❤️

trfour (04-09-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 09:23 AM   #60
Biggd

Quote:
Hi Tis,
After being in California for awhile, we were Blessed by a new Sister Sandra, I guess to even up us siblings to 5 Girl's and 5 Boy's.

Pic#1. Sister Dianne and newborn Sandra.
Your mother was truly a busy woman!
Old 04-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #61
SIKSUKR

Just awesome stuff Terry!!! Love love love.And thanks Don for allowing this.
trfour (04-09-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 02:17 PM   #62
fatlazyless

Talk'n about old trailer trips from the 1950's towed with sedan style cars..... here's a movie ..... The Long Long Trailer (1953) with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz .... driving what looks like ..... just guessing here ..... a 1953 Mercury Monterey convertible w/ a 125-hp flathead V-8 .... and the trailer is a 36-foot, 1953 Redman 'New Moon' model.

Seems like a whole lot of trailer for a 125-hp gasoline motor..... on the mountain road .... must have had a three on the tree, manual, set up with a hill-climber 2nd gear and a heavy duty clutch!

"Say Lucy ...... oh Lucy ..... could you please get out and help with this trailer by giving it a push!"

This movie is a regular on Turner Classic Movies .... showing up every few months.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 04-11-2019 at 01:24 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
trfour (04-10-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 02:30 PM   #63
garysanfran

Default Long, Long Trailer...Full movie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Talk'n about old trailer trips from the 1950's towed by sedan passenger style cars..... here's a movie ..... The Long Long Trailer (1953) with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz .... driving what looks like ..... just guessing here ..... a 1953 Mercury Monterey convertible w/ a 125-hp flathead V-8
.... mountain road clip

This movie is a regular on TCM .... playing up every few months on Turner Classic Movies.
Watch it here. I did. Hilarious.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6&&FORM=VRDGAR
trfour (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 08:44 AM   #64
trfour

Post Visiting Gettysburg

Pic#2.Don't shoot, checking her aim??
Attached Images

joey2665 (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 01:25 PM   #65
trfour

Smile And, for all you sport's fan's

Pic#1. An NFL Referee Officiating, FIND THE FOOTBALL.

Pic#2. Tennis, on a Trailer Court??
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2019, 02:57 PM   #66
Janet

trfour, how did you make it down here to the DFW area with the rest of us who wished we lived closer to the lake than 1800 miles?
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #67
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
trfour, how did you make it down here to the DFW area with the rest of us who wished we lived closer to the lake than 1800 miles?
Hi Janet,

I needed medical attention, and the only coverage I had at the time, 2005, was the VA and the #1 VA hospital in the Country was here in Dallas. Also, my Sister Doña has been living for many years here prier, so that's why. I found out threw much testing that I had kidney cancer, was successfully operated on some five years ago now. So I'm kindah stuck here, Retired on SS. Howevah, even though they had to give me 16 pts of blood and two pts of platelets, I still have my New England accent... And Thank God for this website, keeping me from getting too Homesick!!

Old 04-10-2019, 04:20 PM   #68
Janet

Quote:
Hi Janet,

I needed medical attention, and the only coverage I had at the time, 2005, was the VA and the #1 VA hospital in the Country was here in Dallas. Also, my Sister Doña has been living for many years here prier, so that's why. I found out threw much testing that I had kidney cancer, was successfully operated on some five years ago now. So I'm kindah stuck here, Retired on SS. Howevah, even though they had to give me 16 pts of blood and two pts of platelets, I still have my New England accent... And Thank God for this website, keeping me from getting too Homesick!!
Hi trfour,
Glad to hear your surgery was successful and you still have your accent. My family is fortunate to spend 7 weeks in Melvin Village each year. This great website is what gets us through the "winter months" here in Plano.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Janet For This Useful Post:
trfour (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 09:11 PM   #69
Descant

Default Thast's super

Congrats on successful surgery. I think we all feel like we know you and wish you the best. Fifty percent, maybe more, of good health is good attitude, so you're in the good numbers. We say here, "Press on, young man. Things will be better tomorrow." Keep posting. This is a great thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
trfour (04-10-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 12:01 AM   #70
trfour

Post Thank Y'all Folk's

Go 'in to bed now, have a good night.

Turn out the lights, the party's oh-over...
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2019, 05:52 AM   #71
ApS

Wink 'Just Dust in the Bore...

Quote:
Pic#2.Don't shoot, checking her aim??

The correct term for that is "boresighting".
Old 04-11-2019, 10:49 AM   #72
trfour

Quote:

The correct term for that is "boresighting".
Cool ApS!

OHIO". To this very day, I couldn't think of a better name for this State.

We were detoured along our journey through, by a tornado that closed the main highway onto a dirt road that most Oxen would have said, Get Out'ah Here!
We did however get back to the main highway, through a very skillful pilot in my Dad, and of course Our Good Lord!
We stoped again to wash the MUD off, and did some more chores...
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2019, 01:23 PM   #73
Biggd

I remember the family vacations when I was very young traveling in the beach wagon out to the Midwest to visit my fathers side of the family.
It's amazing what I can remember from 60 years ago but I can't remember what I had for dinner last night.
I remember my uncle taking me fishing and I was catching frogs that were so big I held them like a cat.
Another thing I remember is my uncles basement had a shower in the middle of it with nothing surrounding it. We all thought that was funny because you would obviously be seen by anyone that came down the stairs while you were showering.
Now I'm going to have to search my attic for pictures.
It's fun to look back when life was simple and less stressful, at least for the kids anyway.

Last edited by Biggd; 04-11-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:01 PM   #74
farechofisherman

What an amazing story!!! Incredible pictures and storyline. Your parents were real troopers to undertake this journey, and so culturally rewarding for the entire family-WOW!!!
farechofisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to farechofisherman For This Useful Post:
trfour (04-21-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 03:33 PM   #75
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by farechofisherman View Post
What an amazing story!!! Incredible pictures and storyline. Your parents were real troopers to undertake this journey, and so culturally rewarding for the entire family-WOW!!!
My kids dread taking my grandkids to visit at the lake for just a weekend. Too much trouble packing all the crap they have to bring and they only have 2 and 3 kids?
Old 04-11-2019, 04:06 PM   #76
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
My kids dread taking my grandkids to visit at the lake for just a weekend. Too much trouble packing all the crap they have to bring and they only have 2 and 3 kids?

Purpose of the trip is to bring less not more

Biggd (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 06:18 AM   #77
ApS

Exclamation Tornadoes?

Quote:
Cool ApS!

OHIO". To this very day, I couldn't think of a better name for this State. We were detoured along our journey through, by a tornado that closed the main highway onto a dirt road that most Oxen would have said, Get Out'ah Here! We did however get back to the main highway, through a very skillful pilot in my Dad, and of course Our Good Lord! We stopped again to wash the MUD off, and did some more chores...
I, too, was confronted by tornadoes. As I entered New Mexico, the first Tornado Warning was issued by AM radio. As I entered the modest State campground near Roswell, perhaps 50 children and parents were using the provided playground. I advised them of the warning, then drove around the small campground for a suitable spot. After completing the small loop of maybe 30 spaces, I'd returned to the playground, and found it had emptied out. Ultimately, I'd picked a campground with nobody in it!

As for the 8-minute movie clip of Lucie and Desie, I could sympathize with their dilemma of trailering through mountain passes. The only thing missing was steam. I won't spoil the ending, which is very telling, as most Eastern flatlanders become collectors of such things when they head out West.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:23 AM   #78
trfour

Default come to, think of it

I mustah had CRS back then Too, cause your supposed to put a sheet on the bed before you jump in? and go to sleep...
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2019, 02:39 PM   #79
Island Girl

Default Journey

Thanks so much Terry, for the journey through time. The pictures are wonderful.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:32 PM   #80
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
Thanks so much Terry, for the journey through time. The pictures are wonderful.

IG
You are so very welcome Island Girl. And I thank you for all of your wonderful Pictures out here. I found out that time doesn't stand still for any of us, so we all qualify to that "journey through time".

Oh, and you rid me of CRS as I recall that wonderful Hug you gave me at Waldo Pepper's. Way back when... Love and miss you, Terry

Old 04-16-2019, 09:18 PM   #81
trfour

Post Busy Cafe'

The othah golden rule = " Stay Out The Kitchen" before meals!!!!

Aftah meals, your All on KP duty!!!!
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2019, 02:47 PM   #82
trfour

Post Never Took Much To Entertain Us Kids.Pic#

Removing a splinter from my LegO!

Pic#2. Us-Tube Photo??
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 05-06-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:13 PM   #83
trfour

Smile

Most of us love Coney Island hotDogs...

My younger sister Doña says in this photo, ( way too late , of course ) Hold The Sauerkraut!!
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2019, 07:13 PM   #84
trfour

Default Smokey and the Bandit

The whole Swat Team.

We got pulled over again just outside of Bakersfield California, on our way there, from the east coast, and it was like a swat team, that descended upon us!!
Well, the Sergent at arms thought that we were over width, and there fore illegal, not covered in our permits! ... He had one of his subtenants call in to check it out, only to find that we were good to go!

The Sergent felt so bad, that he gave us some coupons for free donuts at a local donut shop...

Pic # 1. C.H.P's Major Sargent
And, Not Resume Photos.
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 05-04-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:47 AM   #85
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains
Smile

Quote:
The Sergent felt so bad, that he gave us some coupons for free donuts at a local donut shop...

It is very special for a cop to give up coupons for free donuts . Thanks for all the great pictures Trfour.
trfour (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 02:05 PM   #86
trfour

Thank you Moose, my pleasure.
Even though none of my photos ever came out as good as theirs, it was the Life photog's that got me hooked on taking photos as they gave me a camera and all the film I wanted at the begining of our journey.
Thanks to our Webmaster Don, all of us forum members get to post and share our photos here on this wonderful website alowing us Much pleasure and fun over many many years now, and I consider all as extended Family.
Love,
Terry
Attached Images

moose tracks (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 04:39 PM   #87
trfour

Smile Oh, and

No Broom, chimney sweep.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2019, 05:50 PM   #88
trfour

Even travel logging, including every gallon of gas, how many miles and such, and planning was Fun. We were fix'in to embark to the Wisconsin Dell's, and take the Boat Cruise...
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2019, 11:07 PM   #89
trfour

Just so fll knows, from The Long Long Trailer movie clip that he posted here of Lucy and Desi climbing the mountains and everything being all over the floor when they stopped and went inside.

Long before we left Stoneham, my Dad retro fitted cabinet drawers and closet doors, refrigerator and such, so that while under way, rough roads and or climbing up to 6% grades in the mountains, that everything would remain secure, and Not all over the floor when we stopped.
AND, he even cleaned up any mess of drillings or whatever.
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 05-05-2019 at 10:51 PM.
moose tracks (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 12:54 PM   #90
trfour

Smile And, Could We Evah Sang

MUSIC LOVER'S ALL
Our Mom had an incredibly beautiful singing voice, and although none of us siblings could replicate it, we were all music lover's from Day One.
Aftah dinner singalongs were always a BLAST!! Brother Bob on guitar, and me on bass voice...

MUSIC BENIFITS.
There are now literally thousands of research papers showing the clinical evidence for the benefits of meditation and meditation music. It is a proven drug free technique for reducing stress, overcoming depression and even improving your brain function, memory and IQ.
Studies also found that music enhances the effects of meditation and science has pushed the development of sound technology to develop the best meditation music to benefit the brain and human consciousness.
According to experts, listening to music while meditating is good for both your body and soul. It refreshes you from within and rejuvenates your mind. There are different kinds of music you could listen to while meditating.
If there is any kind of music today that you shouldn’t miss out on, it is instrumental music. This type consists of classical guitars, violins, chimes, table, guitar, harp, etc. The tunes are always melodious and beautiful. There is a wide range of choices you could pick from when it comes to instrumental music. Simply visit a CD shop or purchase online.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2019, 04:33 PM   #91
DRH

Quote:
You are so very welcome Island Girl. And I thank you for all of your wonderful Pictures out here. I found out that time doesn't stand still for any of us, so we all qualify to that "journey through time".
Oh, and you rid me of CRS as I recall that wonderful Hug you gave me at Waldo Pepper's. Way back when... Love and miss you, Terry
I remember meeting you that time at Waldo Pepper's too, Terry! There were a number of forum "regulars" there and we all had the pleasure of meeting you. It was a good time. I sure miss the old Waldo Pepper's at the Weirs!

Your photo presentation of your trip is absolutely wonderful! You have made the trip come alive for many of us. Many thanks for sharing your memories!

Don
trfour (04-19-2019), webmaster (04-20-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 06:42 PM   #92
ApS

Cool "Hold My Beer"...

Quote:
MUSIC LOVER'S ALL
Our Mom had an incredibly beautiful singing voice, and although none of us siblings could replicate it, we were all music lover's from Day One.
Aftah dinner singalongs were always a BLAST!! Brother Bob on guitar, and me on bass voice...
MUSIC BENEFITS.
There are now literally thousands of research papers showing the clinical evidence for the benefits of meditation and meditation music. It is a proven drug free technique for reducing stress, overcoming depression and even improving your brain function, memory and IQ.
Studies also found that music enhances the effects of meditation and science has pushed the development of sound technology to develop the best meditation music to benefit the brain and human consciousness.
According to experts, listening to music while meditating is good for both your body and soul. It refreshes you from within and rejuvenates your mind. There are different kinds of music you could listen to while meditating.
If there is any kind of music today that you shouldn’t miss out on, it is instrumental music. This type consists of classical guitars, violins, chimes, table, guitar, harp, etc. The tunes are always melodious and beautiful. There is a wide range of choices you could pick from when it comes to instrumental music. Simply visit a CD shop or purchase online.
Yesterday, I received an email with a similar emphasis—but has to do with a doctor and his fixation on gardens for refreshing one's soul:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/18/o...s-gardens.html

As for music, I like to start my day with composer Thomas Bergersen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qTghUgMOeY

Comment at YouTube:
" It's impossible to blend Celtic music, pirate music, and rock. Nobody can do it."

Thomas Bergersen : "Hold my beer ."

trfour (04-19-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 01:09 AM   #93
trfour

Post Amazing Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH View Post
Your photo presentation of your trip is absolutely wonderful! You have made the trip come alive for many of us. Many thanks for sharing your memories!

Don
Hi Don,
Now I get to Thank You for all of your wonderful photo's, memories and story's that you have shared with all of us over these many years here as well!
Thank you Don, and say Hi to Peg for me.
Love,
Terry
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2019, 05:27 AM   #94
trfour

Smile Oh and

All of the sophisticated and luxurious front lawn furniture that came with the Magic Carpet.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2019, 06:08 AM   #95
joey2665

I can’t get enough of these pictures. Thank you again so much for sharing, your parents seem to be very special and talented people and how lucky you were that they took you on the awesome adventure. ❤️

trfour (04-20-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 10:41 AM   #96
trfour

Quote:
I can’t get enough of these pictures. Thank you again so much for sharing, your parents seem to be very special and talented people and how lucky you were that they took you on the awesome adventure. ❤️
A Typical Phrase from friend's, "To Know Them Is To Love Them", and no such thing as luck Joey, they were Tried and True Blessings.
Attached Images

joey2665 (04-20-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 11:06 AM   #97
joey2665

Well said. Have a happy Easter

Old 04-20-2019, 11:09 AM   #98
trfour

Many Summits along the way, and at the time the Magic Carpet was the largest house trailer to cross over the Rocky Mountains.
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 04-21-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:21 AM   #99
tis

Since there were nine of you, you must have ridden in the Magic Carpet, right? Did it sway a lot? Was anybody car sick?
Old 04-20-2019, 11:25 AM   #100
trfour

Quote:
Well said. Have a happy Easter
You too Joey, I'll be celebrating Easter at Sister Doña's on Sunday.

joey2665 (04-20-2019)