Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2005, 09:05 AM   #1
ApS

Question Milfoil's Source: Wolfeboro?

Today's Granite State News suggests that Wolfeboro's Back Bay is "The Nursery" for ALL of Winnipesaukee's variable milfoil problems.

Quote:
"Striking at the heart of the beast:

This piece of Variable-Leaf Milfoil was pulled out of Back Bay. With it's shallow, warm waters, nutrient-rich soils, and outgoing current, Back Bay could be serving as the exotic weed's incubator for the rest of Lake Winnepesaukee...". http://granitestatenews.com/1homebody.lasso
While Back Bay has always been shallow and warm -- and always had an outgoing current -- its "nutrient-rich" water is due to multiple restaurant- and marina- development on its banks. (Add in, the silt that was allowed to flow in from up-slope at those sites). That two trailered-in boat-launching sites are right there made it a disaster waiting to happen.

Sure enough, you can watch the milfoil strands drift out into Winnipesaukee.

I think they're onto something.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 09:42 AM   #2
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default Aggressive Milfoil Treatment Planned in Wolfeboro

"Striking at the heart of the Beast" This piece of Variable-Leaf Milfoil was pulled out of Back Bay. With it's shallow, warm waters, nutrient-rich soils, and outgoing current, Back Bay could be serving as the exotic weed's incubator for the rest of Lake Winnepesaukee. Wolfeboro's Milfoil Control Committee is planning an aggressive treatment for the Back Bay infestation. Watch for the story in next week's Granite State News.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 11:31 AM   #3
wolfegirl

Default Back Bay Milfoil -

I'll look forward to the article and hope eradication will be successful. That area is truly INFESTED with milfoil - it is really gross.. you cannot even see the bottom in 2 feet of water the milfoil is so thick (actually, thinking back to last summer,.. make that ONE foot!!). plus the boats from Back Bay Marina, the condo docks and the boat launch inevitably chop off little bits and distribute it to other parts of the lake. This is a positive development.
wolfegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 01:15 PM   #4
Grant

Default Back Bay Blues

I would believe that that area indeed serves as the "incubator" -- it is absolutely amazing how much is in there. It's CHOKED with milfoil.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:57 AM   #5
mcdude

Default This week's Grunter

Has anyone up at the lake seen this week's Granite State News? Would be interested in knowing more about the specifics of the chemical treatment.

This from the LAKE WENTWORTH web page;

"Lake Wentworth is fed by as many as 13 streams and many springs and therefore can rise quite rapidly in the event of typical spring rains. Consequently, it is important to allow room for the additional water under these circumstances. This year, however, there is another factor involved in keeping the lake at least one foot below full lake through mid-June. The Town of Wolfeboro, in cooperation with the NH Department of Environmental Services, and with the support of the Lake Wentworth Association, the Lake Winnipesaukee Association and the NH Lakes Association, is undertaking a major chemical treatment of the milfoil problem in Back Bay. The treatment is currently scheduled for June 8.

This effort will necessitate the closing of the Crescent Lake dam for at least 48 hours in order to substantially decrease the flow of water through the bay during the treatment process. Hopefully, this effort will not only have a positive effect on the milfoil problem in Back Bay but also reduce the infestation hazard for Lake Wentworth and Crescent Lake.

Since ice-out on April 17, Allen Stevens, who manages the Crescent Lake dam for the town, has been monitoring the dam on a daily basis and, barring any unusual circumstances, should have the water level up to full lake by June 15."
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2005, 09:26 AM   #6
PROPELLER

MVYC treats the marina every 3-4 years. It will be treated again this year. DES regulates how often you can treat for milfoil. The last time it was treated I happen to be there. A small aluminum boat with a devise that works like a lawn fertilizer mounted on the bow of the boat is used. The actual treatment used looks like fertilizer(small granules). No boats were allowed to enter or exit the marina for I think 24 hours to allow it to settle & no swimming is allowed(no swimming in the marina is allowed anyway).

I don't know if Wolfeboro will be using the same kind of treatment though. I'm sure There are several.

Last edited by PROPELLER; 05-13-2005 at 09:30 AM.
PROPELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 11:14 AM   #7
Frdxplorer

[QUOTE=PROPELLER](no swimming in the marina is allowed anyway).

QUOTE]

That will probably not be diappointing to too many folks. Back Bay isn't what I think of when I think of a refreshing dip in the lake.
Frdxplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 01:16 PM   #8
PROPELLER

Yes, you are correct. However, it will put a damper on the waterski activities until it is safe to be in the water.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:00 PM   #9
gtxrider

Default Kill It Now!

There is a lake on the New York New Jersey boarder called Greenwood Lake. It is so filled with Millfoil that swimmers get tangled it in and several have drowned.

I have waterskis get stuck in it.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 03:59 PM   #10
ike

Default Milfoil

Suncook Lakes Association with UNH and DES tried a program last year to eradicate Milfoil from the lakes. It appears the program was a success. They used divers with GPS to relay the spots to personnel on aboard pontoon boats. The information was entered on to laptop computers. The information was reviewed and about a week later the treatment began. There was no swimming for 5 days last summer.
ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 03:50 PM   #11
Zee

Default Pier 19

Pier 19 also has a significant milfoil problem. Lots of boats are launched there. Is the problem associated with the 19-mile river. If so why doesn't Twenty mile bay have any since it also has a similar river.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 06:36 AM   #12
mcdude

Default More on Milfoil

The treatment will begin on June 8 when Aquatic Control Technology of Sutton, MA will treat the entire bay with a chemical known as 2,4-D, a systematic herbicide. "The chemical will be embedded into clay-like pellets that will be spread from an airboat, using a rotary spreader." The pellets sink to the bottom where they are absorbed into the root of the milfoil plant. It is spread at a ratio of 100 pounds per acre. Too little or too much and it doesn't work properly. If too much is spread it burns the plant and is NOT taken up into the root and the plant responds by rapidly increasing its growth rate and developing a resistance to the herbicide. The chemical works by interfering with the plant's photosynthetic process. The Crescent Lake dam will be closed to "make things pretty quiet in order to ensure good penetration." It was reported on (Lower) Suncook Lake (in Barnstead) that a native plant called Bladderwort, that looks like milfoil but doesn't have its' aggressive qualities, was seen shortly after treatment growing up through the dying milfoil plants. Ed Neister, Chairman of Barnstead's Suncook Lake Association's Milfoil Committee, said that the fish, bird, mussel and native plant populations were unharmed by the treatment. The mussels are thought to be the most sensitive animals in the lake environment. Neister reported that after treatment the mussels were "fat, dumb and happy. The treatment didn't bother them at all." No wells were affected. It generally takes water about two years to migrate to well sites and the 2,4-D breaks down within a month. The Back Bay project will cost about $10,000 of which $3,500 will be reimbursed by grants.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:47 AM   #13
mcdude

Default Winning the fight with Milfoil

Here is the final report submitted to the N.H. Department of Environmental Services declaring success in the fight against milfoil on Lower Suncook Lake. (Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.)

CLICK HERE FOR REPORT

Let's hope they meet with as much success in Wolfeboro.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:15 AM   #14
Jeff Furber

Default Milfoil

What is the plan for eradicating the milfoil in Wolfeboro, who will do it, cost etc. Thanks Jeff from Mass
Jeff Furber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:58 AM   #15
SongoRiver

Question Can we in Maine learn from you?

Milfoil here is beyond control and officials will not consider using 2,4-D. We are being told that 3-5 acre+ and 10+ acre infestations can be reduced and eventually managed with bottom barriers.

The efforts are expensive, extraordinarily difficult and my observation is that with infestations this large, milfoil is spreading many times faster than barriers could ever be applied, making these efforts little more than "feel good" initiatives, encouraged to forestall any discussion of herbicides.

Barriers kill beneficial native plants and millions of animals, while the infestations simply expand around them. If I am incorrect, can someone enlighten me?

Do you have any experience, one way or the other, that might help us? The 3-5+ acre infestation I referenced, has I expanded up river over a mile, in just the last 5 years and is now less than 1,000 feet from two major lakes.

Last edited by SongoRiver; 07-27-2005 at 08:02 AM.
SongoRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:25 AM   #16
pmj

Default milfoil nuisance

Lets hope they can get a handle on this problem.

Not only do the props cut it up, and redistribute it, but it can foul the props, too. We have had difficulty just this week backing our boat into our slip in Gilford, as the milfoil wraps itself around the propeller. This only happens when we are in reverse..very odd.
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:33 AM   #17
Kman

Thumbs up

It's good to hear that there is action being taken on this issue. Hopefully it will be a success in limiting the new growth of milfoil.
Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 10:43 PM   #18
Rinkerfam

There are so many areas of the lake that are affected.... Back Bay, The Basin, Smith Cove, the areas around Paugus Bay Marina and Lakeport Landing Marina and the Weirs Channel. These are just the ones that I can name by personal observation. I truly hope that a solution is in the near future.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:29 AM   #19
Great Idea

Default Gilford Milfoil

PMJ in Gilford,

That Milfoil you speak of in Gilford that gets cut up by your prop is floating down the lake. I picked up chunks of it off our beach on Sunday. Is there a way you , others in your marina can get together and treat it right away?? We will all have to take responsibility for stopping its spread by doing our part. I have removed several clusters in areas near boats by digging out the roots, plants intact and putting it into plastic bags and disposing of it. Can anything be done in your slip? Every plant you cut floats away and infects another area. Please help if possible. Thanks in advance for your efforts.

Last edited by Great Idea; 07-28-2005 at 10:32 AM.
Great Idea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 11:01 AM   #20
PROPELLER

What marina would that be? If its MVYC, they treat for milfoil as often as the DES will allow but it still grows. The treatment does not last for very long & grows until it can be treated again. The DES allows treatment every 3 or 4 years.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:03 PM   #21
mcdude

Default Milfoil

More on Wolfeboro's Milfoil. Not everyone is comfortable with chemical treatments...

See Citizen Article....
Old 03-22-2006, 01:35 PM   #22
Phantom

DO NOT FEAR CHEMICAL TREATMENTS !!

I live on a small lake here in MA when not at Winni -- a number of years ago (about 4yrs) we had the chemical treatment for milfoil done by A C T 's competitor (public bid) and there was a tremendous change for the positive!! We were restricted from swimming for about a week - boating was allowed.

The unfortunate part of our saga is that it was suppose to be followed up by two - three scheduled follow-on treatments which never occurred due to some local environmentalist group hiring "an ambulance chasing lawyer" (yes I'm bitter) and threatened all kinds of legal action. The Town backed away from the project and now our state "Grant" money has expired leaving the Lake residents with the problem of raising in the vicinity of $50,000 to start the process all over from the beginning........

The sad part is that because the follow on treatments didn't go as scheduled our milfoil problem is once again returning.

If there is anyone who wants detailed information (and I'm not the person) I can put them in touch with our local lake "committee" who researched and planned the treatment program -- it was a 5-8 year process to get to the Treatment program approval - only to be de-railed in the end ---- a Tragedy!
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:09 AM   #23
mcdude

Default Milfoil Debate Rages on in Wolfeboro

Milfoil Debate Rages on in Wolfeboro

see Citizen Article
Old 04-07-2006, 07:30 PM   #24
wildwoodfam

Default Milfoil Treatment worked on small lake....

But I cant see how or why they would try to do the treatments on bays and small parts of the big lake. We lived on a small 150 acre lake in Wakefield - which was infected with the weed and filled with milfoil in a matter of years. Finally the lake association banded together and funded a portion (state matched) of the cost to treat the lake. Long story short - we couldn't swim in the lake for 2 days - no fishing or drawing water for 2 days - but then it was open for all water sports and enjoyment. Milfoil was completely eradicated - gone - see ya - buh bye! BUT - it was a contained 150 acre lake....hardly a 44,000 acre lake with boats carrying the stuff in daily, and chopping up the stuff that drifts etc...

Back Bay - is NOT self contained and unless they plan to erect a net of some type at the bridge - which is impossible - I cant see how the treatments are worthwhile and cost effective.

Just my nickel...
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:06 AM   #25
Phantom

Wildwoodfam -- that's exactly what they did do at our lake here in Mass -- Lycott (as it turns out the same company talking to the folks in Wolfboro) in an effort to conserve treatment & $$ to our association- They erected a barrier accross our "channell" area to contain the chemicals to one end of our 160 acre lake. . In the center of the barrier was a "V" cut-out, approx 10' wide x 4' deep in the center where boats could pass through. The chemicals used are "heavy" and tend to stay at the bottom as opposed to skimming on the surface........ As with you we were only restricted for a few days (a small price).

With that -- i'm through with this topic -- I know how "heated" it got around our community and I have no desire/energy to relive that --- It works, it's safe -- and Lycott is a quality outfit!!

I sincerely hope this issue doesn't turn into the new "HB162" thread and tear this forum down the middle again..........
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 04:25 PM   #26
mcdude

Default Smith Cove / Gilford

.....and now there's a proposal to treat Smith Cove in Gilford that has been met with some resistance. See the Citizen Article.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:46 PM   #27
RI Swamp Yankee

Lightbulb MiddFoil - a Natural Alternative

I came accross this recently, sounds like a safe natural alternative.
Over the past eight years, EnviroScience, Inc. has been working with Middlebury College (VT) to make MiddFoil® available to the general public. MiddFoil uses an aquatic beetle native to Canada and the northern US to combat the spread of Eurasian watermilfoil, an invasive aquatic weed that has spread like wildfire across North America.

Based on eight years of intensive field application and more than 12 years of university research, MiddFoil has proven itself to be the only long-term, environmentally-friendly alternative to herbicides and mechanical harvesting for large scale infestations.
http://www.enviroscienceinc.com/cgi-...section&id=253
Old 04-20-2006, 06:11 PM   #28
wildwoodfam

Default Problem is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee
I came accross this recently, sounds like a safe natural alternative.
Over the past eight years, EnviroScience, Inc. has been working with Middlebury College (VT) to make MiddFoil® available to the general public. MiddFoil uses an aquatic beetle native to Canada and the northern US to combat the spread of Eurasian watermilfoil, an invasive aquatic weed that has spread like wildfire across North America.

Based on eight years of intensive field application and more than 12 years of university research, MiddFoil has proven itself to be the only long-term, environmentally-friendly alternative to herbicides and mechanical harvesting for large scale infestations.
http://www.enviroscienceinc.com/cgi-...section&id=253
As I recall from the treatment issues at my small lake in Wakefield - there are a couple types of milfoil - and the beetle only works on Eurasian, and the findings were incolnclusive as to long term results. Plus - who wants to swim with a whole mess of beetles in the water!!!
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:38 PM   #29
Mee-n-Mac

Wink Beetles, yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodfam
{snip} Plus - who wants to swim with a whole mess of beetles in the water!!!
The rock bass perhaps ! ? ! More seriously I hope they've done their studies well and aren't going to repeat the mongoose in Hawaii experience.

http://www.hisurf.com/~enchanted/foreigninvader.html
Old 04-20-2006, 08:28 PM   #30
RI Swamp Yankee

All the studies from the link I posted seem very conclusive, the aquatic beetles are native to this area and do not harm other species. The studies going back to 1998 show a healthy rebound of natural species.

The beetle has proved to be a very effective control agent in extensive field trials. Depending on the initial density applied, the beetles take from two to four years to permanently stabilize EWM below problematic levels. Most importantly,the MiddFoil® process is environmentally safe: the beetle does not damage native plants or animals because it is native to our North American ecology. As EWM decreases in the treated lake, the beetle population gradually declines to a self-sustaining level.

I agree, who wants to swim with a bunch of bugs but then you would have swim in the milfoil to get near the bugs

The stocking of weevils into Van Etten Lake between 2000 and 2001 resulted in severe damage to EWM beds throughout the lake. The weevils successfully overwintered and returned to the lake in large numbers and have established a thriving population throughout the lake. The MiddFoil® Project in Van Etten Lake was so successful that a planned third year of stocking was eliminated.

It just seemed to me that the bugs were a better solution than chemicals and the long term (8 years) results show nothing detrimental but rather allowed native species to rebound and balance the ecology of the lakes studied.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:24 PM   #31
hockeypuck

Wink

It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature. Is the milfoil problem a natural cycle in the eutrophication of the lake? If it's a natural process, it's like spitting into the wind. Beetles v/s Chemicals, I think I would vote for the beetles. Sounds to me that dumping toxic chemicals into water that people not only swim in, but use for drinking is not a prudent thing to do. Sure the results may be quicker, but just ask the Viet Nam Vets that were exposed to some of the first cousins of 2,4 D. Years later they are still trying to figure out what the effects are. I'm not a resident and those that are may have a different opinion, but one thing the lake doesn't need is headlines of people getting sick from exposure to some herbicide found in the lake water. Let's face it we all love the lake, and the fact that we do brings with it more use and misuse and is changing what many of us love about it. I guess since I've been going up to the lake for over 50 years I'm guilty of adding to the pressure on the lake. I'm a perennial tourist, but tourist are like women, You can't live with them and you can't live without them.
Hockeypuck
hockeypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:37 AM   #32
mcdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeypuck
Is the milfoil problem a natural cycle in the eutrophication of the lake?
No, it it not. It is a non-native species that does serious damage to the natural eco-system.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:48 PM   #33
RI Swamp Yankee

Question What type milfoil

I guess a question I should have asked since wildwoodfam mentioned different types of milfoil. What type of milfoil has invaded most areas?? Some places I have read Eurasian and other places I read say Variable. As wildwoodfam said, the bugs probably don't work on Variable Milfoil.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:21 PM   #34
lfm

Default milfoil treatment?

With all the focus on the overfull lake, does anyone know if the milfoil problem was ever addressed in Back Bay?

Also, did the excess rain exacerbate the problem, or is it too early to tell?
lfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 03:42 AM   #35
ApS

Due to the rains, the planned chemical treatment won't be efficient: The plan to chemically treat Back Bay's milfoil has been cancelled for this year.

Payment for manual removal is being considered and seems reasonably priced, at the <$4000 figure being floated.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:41 AM   #36
Mee-n-Mac

Default Treatment rained out

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfm
With all the focus on the overfull lake, does anyone know if the milfoil problem was ever addressed in Back Bay?

Also, did the excess rain exacerbate the problem, or is it too early to tell?
The chemical treatment that was talked about was rained out for this year. I guess the water flow was too much for the chemical to be effective in the dose planned for. For some reason I can't remember, waiting until later in the season for treatment was not a viable option. As for rain helping or hurting the problem .... I have to believe the additonal flow from either Back Bay or the Merrymeeting is only going to spread the milfoil more. Chemicals in the runoff probably aren't going to help either. I've seen more milfoil float past my dock this year then ever before. Don't know if it's due to the increased rainfall or just due to the natural expansion of the weed.