Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2019, 04:59 AM   #201
trfour

Thumbs up

Although Rascal Flats persistence in slowing our get-along, we were Blessed with roadside assistants that would have us up and running again in no-time!
Attached Images

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:10 AM   #202
The Real BigGuy

Tryout, thank you. You’ve inspired me to start putting together a life history so my kids will know something about their extended family.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
trfour (05-18-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 07:12 AM   #203
The Real BigGuy

trifour, not tryout. I really need to start proofing my posts (have I said I hate spell correct on my phone!!!)

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:54 PM   #204
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
You’ve inspired me to start putting together a life history so my kids will know something about their extended family.
One of the most rewarding things that I've learned in life is, 'You Can't keep It, If You Don't Give It'.
Keeping things honest, doing the next right thing, and then seeing all of the inspiration and achievements that your own sibling,'s, Grand children enjoy is what true life is all about, on and on.
Thank you The Real BigGuy,
Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
Old 05-18-2019, 05:10 PM   #205
trfour

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
trifour, not tryout. I really need to start proofing my posts (have I said I hate spell correct on my phone!!!)
No ProblemO BigGuy, truth be told All of my spell checkahs over the years have banned me...

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2019, 06:02 PM   #206
trfour

Arriving at Gettysburg Military Park, both Buicks.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to trfour For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 10:43 PM   #207
trfour

Post Anothah

The Mojave Desert receives less than 2 inches (51 mm) of rain a year and is generally between 2,000 and 5,000 feet (610 and 1,520 m) in elevation. The Mojave Desert also contains the Mojave National Preserve, as well as the lowest and hottest place in North America: Death Valley at 282 ft (86 m) below sea level, where the temperature often surpasses 120 °F (49 °C) from late June to early August. Zion National Park in Utah lies at the junction of the Mojave, the Great Basin Desert, and the Colorado Plateau. Despite its aridity, the Mojave (and particularly the Antelope Valley in its southwest) has long been a center of alfalfa production, fed by irrigation coming from groundwater and from the California Aqueduct.
The Mojave is a desert of temperature extremes and two distinct seasons. Winter months bring comfortable daytime temperatures, which occasionally drop to around 25 °F (−4 °C) on valley floors, and below 0 °F (−18 °C) at the highest elevations. Storms moving from the Pacific Northwest can bring rain and in some places even snow. More often, the rain shadow created by the Sierra Nevada as well as mountain ranges within the desert such as the Spring Mountains, bring only clouds and wind. In longer periods between storm systems, winter temperatures in valleys can approach 80 °F (27 °C).
Spring weather continues to be influenced by Pacific storms, but rainfall is more widespread and occurs less often after April. By early June, it is rare for another Pacific storm to have a significant impact on the region's weather; and temperatures after the middle of May are normally above 90 °F (32 °C) and frequently above 100 °F (38 °C).
Summer weather is dominated by heat. Temperatures on valley floors can soar above 120 °F (49 °C) and above 130 °F (54 °C) at the lowest elevations. Low humidity, high temperatures, and low pressure, draw in moisture from the Gulf of Mexico creating thunderstorms across the desert southwest known as the North American monsoon.
Attached Images

moose tracks (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 05:16 PM   #208
trfour

Post The Busy Corner @ The Magic Carpet

Mom's Kitchen, Only open 7 days a week. 'Per Management'.
Attached Images

joey2665 (05-21-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 05:34 PM   #209
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

The cops were never far away, were they?!
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:06 PM   #210
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
The cops were never far away, were they?!
Only saw them while under way Tis. They all did a good job keeping the highways and roads safe though.
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2019, 06:36 AM   #211
tis

No tickets? Just checking?
Old 05-21-2019, 02:47 PM   #212
trfour

Post Just One Tis, Ticket To Ride?

Quote:
No tickets? Just checking?
I know how tough it can be for some of the younger folks to fathom an old 19 and 49 Buick's abilities to tow such a Large trailer ( The Magic Carpet ). Well trust me, that old Buick straight eight cylinder had the torque required to tow us very comfortably at the posted speed limits of the day and we were never pulled over for going under the road speed limits anywhere!
However, we were over length and pulled over many times for permit checks. (AND, Thank God We Took The Northern Route)!!
Dad hadn't picked up a permit for Illinois........ and don't you know that we were pulled over by Illinois's finest. He measured with his ruler, tape measure and found that we were 97 inches over length!
A justice of the peace was wakened and Mom & Dad were taken off to court.

"One dollar an inch"! was the penalty.
Dad said, "Well your honor, we don't have that kind of money so you will have to put us and our 9 children in jail."....

"Twenty dollars, and get out of here." was the judge's response.

So we payed the fine and traveled on to California.
Thank you Tis.
With Love,
Terry

Last edited by trfour; 05-22-2019 at 11:26 PM.
moose tracks (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 03:11 PM   #213
trfour

Smile Lets Chat

Although we were always the Good Guys, and probably got that TV series ( Highway Patrol ), off the ground...
Now normally, my Dad would see a cruiser following us for awhile in account because they were taking notice about just how outnumbered they were. So, more likely than not, they would call in for backup, so that when they decided to pull us over it was more like a hornets nest with cruisers coming out of the wood'Work! Good thing that helicopters weren't more available back in them days, or it would have been even more costly to the local economy...
I think that I have already covered ( donut shops too ).

Old 05-21-2019, 06:00 PM   #214
tis

So out of all those stops only one ticket? That's pretty good. And your Dad was pretty smart because obviously they didn't want 9 kids in jail!

Did you say how long the whole trip was? And did you stay out west once you got there? I love your story.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:29 PM   #215
trfour

Quote:
So out of all those stops only one ticket? That's pretty good. And your Dad was pretty smart because obviously they didn't want 9 kids in jail!

Did you say how long the whole trip was? And did you stay out west once you got there? I love your story.
Yes Tis, and I understand when folks use a me,, myself, or I cellphone to view these photos and story, it is very easy to miss bits and pieces.

A quote from post # 170. " Eventually we took the Southern Route and returned to New England, ( some 6 and some change years later ) in a 1947 Plymouth Woody station wagon 9 passenger six cylinder with headers and dual exhaust, a huge luggage rack mounted on the roof, towing a 12' U'hall...
( Yet A Whole nothah story ) ! "

With Love,
Terry

Old 05-22-2019, 04:55 AM   #216
tis

I try to read every post but sometimes you miss. I thought you stayed out there at least for a while since you mentioned they got jobs. What an adventure!!
Old 05-22-2019, 06:19 AM   #217
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Wow so you staying on the west coast for 6+ years and then came back in The Plymouth?

What happened to the “Magic Carpet”?

Sorry if these are repeat questions, there are a lot of posts I probably missed the answers to these.

joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:08 PM   #218
trfour

Default A Few Cobwebs Get In The Way

Quote:
I try to read every post but sometimes you miss. I thought you stayed out there at least for a while since you mentioned they got jobs. What an adventure!!
Incredible memories they are Tis, although I do have to go back and update some O them. I guess mah brain shrink'Age is very definitely on the Loose!
So, you'll have to go back and check each post.

Thank you Tis, With Love,
Terry

Old 05-22-2019, 05:15 PM   #219
tis

Oh you are asking a lot! You did a LOT of posting!!!
Old 05-22-2019, 05:35 PM   #220
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Wow so you staying on the west coast for 6+ years and then came back in The Plymouth?

What happened to the “Magic Carpet”?

Sorry if these are repeat questions, there are a lot of posts I probably missed the answers to these.
Hi Joey, when Dad got transferred back to LA, we sold The Magic Carpet.

Not all Peaches & Cream, I attended, from Kindergarten, 23 different Schools, up until the 9th grade in East Bridgewater MA. And yet a whole Nothah Story.

Thank you Joey, with love,
Terry

Old 05-22-2019, 05:42 PM   #221
trfour

Quote:
Oh you are asking a lot! You did a LOT of posting!!!
Oh, you can do it Sweetheart, trust me!! Just take you're time, maybe on a rainy day...
PS, Oh and, if you can, do so on a Desk and or Laptop, where everything comes into view...

With Love,Terry

Old 05-22-2019, 09:03 PM   #222
trfour

Default Hobby Lobby, For The Retired??

Side Note, I mentioned back in post#31 how I became frustrated trying to post our Travel Story here on this Website in a different area, and having to give up.
So A friend of mine gave me a VH tape of the movie 'The Long Long Trailer, with Lucy and Dezi and my Grandson and I watched it together at the camp on Paugus Bay, and I never saw him Laugh so hard and much.
I did some research and found out about Clinton Twiss's book being the basis of the Movie.
Now, I always had that Gypsy Spirit because of my early experiences, and I bought a 28' Travelmate that the wife and I kept loaded and ready to Gitti-up-Go on weekends and up to Cape Breton Island where Mon and Dad enjoyed a vacation home during the summers, "Mom's Homeland", and then they would travel south and stop and visit with all O us Siblings scattered all ovah the country and on out to California to spend the winters with Sister's Linda and Sandra and Brother Bob whom remained there.
Now, to make a Loooog story short, I found an Off-Topic Forum out at Airstream Forums with a thread about The Long Long Trailer By Clinto Twiss, and started posting there about our journey West.
This was in 2009, and I started posting Post#16, and the thread went Global with some 43,000 views since. They even Garnered me with four Rivets.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161/

With Love,
Terry

Old 05-22-2019, 09:26 PM   #223
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour View Post
Hi Joey, when Dad got transferred back to LA, we sold The Magic Carpet.

Not all Peaches & Cream, I attended, from Kindergarten, 23 different Schools, up until the 9th grade in East Bridgewater MA. And yet a whole Nothah Story.

Thank you Joey, with love,

Terry
Wow that is a lot of schools. Certainly could not have been easy on many levels. Education, friends, etc

joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:06 PM   #224
trfour

Quote:
Wow that is a lot of schools. Certainly could not have been easy on many levels. Education, friends, etc
Yes Joey, it was tough for me moving away from friends and Cousins and all that I had an internal battel with, however was very Blessed at the same time having been taught that no matter how tough the road. keep on a Truck'in.

Thank you Joey.
with love,
Terry

joey2665 (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 09:49 AM   #225
trfour

Post A Typical

Quote:
I can’t get enough of these pictures. Thank you again so much for sharing, your parents seem to be very special and talented people and how lucky you were that they took you on the awesome adventure. ❤️
I've sent a link to some folks of this thread and would like to share an A Typical
response from one of our neighbors in East Bridgewater MA.

'An Email from: Ken
Mon 5/20/2019 9:37 AM
Thank You Terry these photos brought back memories. The Rugg family was so unique as photos help relate. Your parents were special for sure, your Mom was amazing. The photos are wonderful but you really had to be there.
My neighbors in Eastbridgewater in the early 60's was the Rugg family of 10 children and me #11 ( there a whole lot, my love of music, automobiles & facts of life were hatched next door), a very special family. Life magazine did a spread on the family's cross country adventure. Mrs Rugg also won Queen for a day. Mr Rugg was an inventor, Mrs. Rugg was an amazing Matriarch.
PS: Oh yes and a shared love of horses (in both yards) existed as well'......

joey2665 (05-24-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 03:37 PM   #226
trfour

Smile Showing

Friends,

off.

Sister Dianne and me.
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2019, 04:10 PM   #227
trfour

Smile Back-Up

Front seat drivah,
Brother Brynn.
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2019, 04:27 PM   #228
trfour

Post Gettysburg National Military Park

An Awesome Adventure in itself.
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2019, 01:48 PM   #229
trfour

Post Anothah

Back to LA., to a snowless Christmas in our house without wheels.
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 06-15-2019 at 12:30 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:14 PM   #230
trfour

Default Cadillac In RV Comfort

At slightly more interest, out at the thread 'The Long Long Trailer by Clinton Twiss', the views are now over 45,000 .

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161/

With Love,
Terry

Old 06-13-2019, 01:28 PM   #231
trfour

Smile Most Popular Accommodation

Mom's Kitchen.
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2019, 09:30 PM   #232
trfour

After the air over hydraulic dolly was mounted in the Magic Carpet's tow frame, the newly designed heavy duty tow hitch pictured here.
Attached Images

joey2665 (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 08:41 PM   #233
trfour

Default Do-Da Math

Fridge = 1/4 of kitchen.
Have Fridge, Will Travel.
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2019, 10:05 PM   #234
trfour

Ironically I was the only sibling that continued with a home on wheels and the Wife, Daughter and I kept it loaded up for weekends swimming down on Cape Cod, or Vermont, Main, New Hampshire or the Big E out in Springfield Ma. Advantage, adventure and many fond memories.
Here we are on the Cabot Trail, Cape Breton Island NS.

Pic#2. Near The Keltic Lodge.
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 07-11-2019 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Add Photo
moose tracks (06-22-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 11:00 PM   #235
trfour

And helping others along the way.
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2019, 06:50 PM   #236
trfour

Photos by Life Magazine, 1952.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2019, 02:39 PM   #237
trfour

Both axles on The Magic Carpet were equipped with Bendix electric 6 lug drum brakes, with a control unit mounted on the left hand side of the steering column.

Dad wiring it in.
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2019, 12:13 AM   #238
trfour

Brother's Mel and Brynn.
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2019, 10:27 PM   #239
trfour

Always extra special traveling with Family.

Pic#1. Sister Doña
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2019, 07:43 PM   #240
trfour

Getting ready for bed.

Broyher's Mel and Brynn.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2019, 03:03 PM   #241
trfour

Smile The Long Long Load

Load-em up, Move-em out!
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2019, 02:36 AM   #242
trfour

A little sleep time.
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2019, 11:12 AM   #243
webmaster

Thanked 3,691 Times in 819 Posts

Now that our Blogs are back online I noticed that you posted one about your trip exactly 10 years ago today...

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/blog.php?b=55
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
trfour (07-07-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 06:18 PM   #244
trfour

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Now that our Blogs are back online I noticed that you posted one about your trip exactly 10 years ago today...

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/blog.php?b=55

Yes, and thank you again Don!
I did mention in post #37 here about having trouble in the format of the Blog section, ( getting duplicated posts when posting and not being able to correct them at the time with my very limited computer knowledge.

That was also when I was doing research on The Long Long Trailer by Clinton Twiss that I found the thread out on Airstream Off Topic Forum and stated posting there. They all enjoyed the story and pictures as well.

The Twiss's
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2019, 01:59 PM   #245
trfour

Our first Christmas in LA in a house without wheels.
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2019, 01:51 PM   #246
trfour

Sister's Sandy and Linda.
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2019, 02:31 AM   #247
trfour

Putting some cloths away,
Sister's Linda and Dianne.
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2019, 03:04 AM   #248
trfour

Smile

We took turns.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2019, 12:51 AM   #249
trfour

Magic Carpet inspection.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2019, 06:46 AM   #250
tis

Inspection? What for?
Old 07-12-2019, 02:02 PM   #251
trfour

Default Nannie's Tour

Quote:
Inspection? What for?
Being a new concept to Nannie, from a ten or twelve room house to a 46' house trailer, she had her questions and got answers.

Thank you Tis,
Love,
Terry

Old 07-15-2019, 05:14 PM   #252
trfour

I just did a search for The Magic Carpet and got this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Mich...h=501&dpr=1.25

Old 07-16-2019, 01:25 PM   #253
trfour

Post On the Move

Move'in out, Move'in In.

Plenty O girls next door, I nevah got to marry.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2019, 07:12 PM   #254
trfour

Safe transport to Santa Maria, California.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2019, 09:20 PM   #255
eillac@dow

This thread is amazing.....and love how some end with:

With Love...
Terry

Thank you Terry for sharing.
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:35 PM   #256
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by eillac@dow View Post
This thread is amazing.....and love how some end with:

With Love...
Terry

Thank you Terry for sharing.
Thank you eillac@dow, glad you are enjoying!

With love,
Terry

Old 07-24-2019, 05:35 AM   #257
DRH

Default Fascinating Journey!

Many thanks for sharing your family's journeys in "The Magic Carpet" through these wonderful photos, Terry!
trfour (02-25-2022)
Old 07-24-2019, 01:22 PM   #258
trfour

Post Again, Not My Fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH View Post
Many thanks for sharing your family's journeys in "The Magic Carpet" through these wonderful photos, Terry!
Thank you Don, this website is about sharing, not just going along for the ride.
And I've said this before, sharing family, with family is what Life is all about!

With love,
Terry
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2019, 01:08 AM   #259
trfour

Post Family Fun

Enjoying The Magic Carpet.
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2019, 05:45 PM   #260
trfour

Default Tried And True Blessings

And their love will never die.
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2019, 08:01 PM   #261
trfour

I also enjoyed 14 + years, all four seasons here living at the Lake, Paugus Bay!

trfour's PhotoPost Album link;

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/photop...e=24&ppuser=83

With Love,
Terry

Old 10-26-2019, 03:49 PM   #262
trfour

Post More Magic by Life Magazine

Brother Fred's Birthday, on our way to LA.

Photo's by Life Magazine.
Attached Images

DRH (10-26-2019)
Old 11-20-2021, 08:05 PM   #263
trfour

Default One of my faverits

A picture of my Dad.
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2021, 02:16 PM   #264
trfour

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL.

Picture #1. Photo By Life Magazine, taken in Santa Maria California.
Love,
Terry
Attached Images

garysanfran (12-04-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 10:38 PM   #265
LoveLakeLife

You must be so grateful for your trip and even more for your family. Merry Christmas!

LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLakeLife For This Useful Post:
trfour (12-03-2021)