Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-27-2010, 12:03 AM   #1
baygo

Default Appropriate attire requested

What are the pros and cons associated with a restaurant maintaining the following policies?

Appropriate attire requested.
Children welcome until 6:30 PM
Outside smoking in designated area only.

2 days later.

WOW what a great tool this forum is proving to be for helping me understand the people I hope to serve. A great big thank you to all who have contributed to this thread. FYI, I subscribe to the belief that I learn more from those whose views are in opposition to mine than I do from those who agree.

After reading all the great feedback it appears to me that many have interpreted my request for the aforementioned feedback as an indication that these are policies I intend to operate under. This is not the case. I was recently exposed to these policies and was curious how other people would respond. I responded as follows:

Appropriate Attire Requested: I interpreted as more welcoming than "Appropriate Attire Required" and it provided the opportunity for management to ask that a belt be worn well above the knees.

Children welcome until 6:30: I agree with most views expressed from the family standpoint however I also have an opinion that I have not seen expressed. Most people interpreted this as a attempt to protect the adults. I see it as something that can help protect the children. My experience in the restaurant/bar business has taught me many things, one of which is "instant a**hole, add alcohol". I recently dined at a restaurant in Holderness. This restaurant has a wide variety of positive statements in another thread on this forum. Shortly after my food arrived a song came on the juke box with lyrics that would make George Carlin blush. There was a conversation taking place nearby with language that would translate to "large fornicating fish". There was also a family of 4 seated nearby. The two children were between 5 and 10 years old.

I personally reframe from engaging in some forms of adult conversation while children are near, however, I am human and have been known to accidentally slip consequent from the consumption of trash mouth lubricant (Tequila).

I wonder if it makes sense for a restaurant to feature something similar to an on site day care?

Smoking in designated areas only: It would be nice if public establishments were in a position to create an area so welcoming to smokers, they would feel compelled to gravitate there. Perhaps a smokers garden, down wind and away from the entrance.

Thanks again for your help as I navigate these new waters.

Last edited by baygo; 01-29-2010 at 02:15 PM. Reason: 2 Days Later
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:00 AM   #2
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
What are the pros and cons associated with a restaurant maintaining the following policies?

I don't like it when people smoke outside any establishment. Usually they smoke right outside the maIn door. I then have to walk through it and smell it when entering or exiting.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
aquasun (02-21-2010), BroadHopper (01-27-2010), lawn psycho (01-27-2010), Lucky1 (04-17-2010), NHKathy (01-27-2010), Rattlesnake Gal (01-27-2010), RLW (01-27-2010), TiltonBB (03-29-2010)
Old 01-27-2010, 05:08 AM   #3
twoplustwo

Default my 2 pennies

Appropriate attire requested - One thing I've always loved about this state is I can enjoy fine dining without dressing to the nines. Dress code = I won't be there.

Children welcome until 6:30 PM - once again, I won't be there.

Outside smoking in designated area only - doesn't bother me at all, but people are going to gravitate to right outside the door no matter what your 'rules' are, especially in lousy weather.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:10 AM   #4
wifi

Default Definitions

People that have to go home and change will not likely be back. That being said, its hard to know what you mean, are shorts ok? (certainly not on me, but that's beside the point), how about jeans? Short sleeved shirts, long?

What delimits the age of a child, to me its under 40, but where do you draw the line?

I think its much simpler to say no smoking.

In general, I think pulling someone out of the line on a fuzzy judgment would cause more collateral damage than setting standards would help.

But what do I know, I just enjoy good food.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:48 AM   #5
riverat

Default My three cents

Quote:

Lakes region visitors are normally enjoying the many activities around the lake and are usually dressed casual in shorts, sandles or sneakers and maybe tee shirts and the like.

There should be establishments for kids, and some for families, and some for adults in my opinion: If I go to a kids restaurant or a family type one than I expect to see kids, But, If I take my wife to a nice adult type(usually pricey) place than I do not expect to see kids(especially the ones who seem invisable to their parents)

No Smoking on property.
NHKathy (01-27-2010), Tallyho (01-28-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2010, 07:40 AM   #6
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Whose policies are those? Just so we know.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:40 AM   #7
jeffatsquam

I would suggest going to some of the fine restaurants in the lakes region and seeing what works.

I know when I go to the Woodshed it always amazes me that people are there in hooded sweatshirts or nascar tee-shirts and how little effect that has on my always excellent meal.

It is discouraging to walk through a cloud of second hand smoke on your way in and out.

My kids are always well behaved.

AND 2+2 is always appropriately dressed.
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:52 AM   #8
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Yeah, but. We went to the woodshed and I had on Jeans and My Harley Sweatshirt. Seeing as we were on the Harley. Man did I get stared down by the patrons eating around us. I felt like I was a criminal. Snooty, Snooty. But if I go with my Dockers and an Izod Polo shirt. Well then I am one of the crowd. Like I said. Snooty, Snooty... But we love the place and keep going. Not often as it is a bit expensive, but every once in a while we splurge.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:57 AM   #9
Phantom

Wasn't the old Coe House more or less that policy ?

Don't know about the new owners, we haven't been there in years.

The point is (I think) that there are some restaurants, usually upscale and pricey, where you don't have to worry about being seated next to a table of "out of control" children. Emphasis - out of control!! I think there is a growing problem throughout where parents do not discipline/teach their children basic manners and behavior anymore. And NO I do not think it's okay for two little rugrats to be running around a dinner table constantly when at a restaurant or a child allowed to take a prolonged, loud hissy-fit about this or that before the adult removes them to the foyer area. Part of parenting is planning and sacrifice. If the child or children can't sit still for 45 min to an hour - take them to Appleby's or god forbid teach them how at the home dinner table!

Call me old school- I'll accept it ....... and my 4 children are no worse of as a result.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:57 AM   #10
chipj29

Quote:

Appropriate attire
-Pro-you have people looking good, maybe a higher class clientele (with $$).
-Con-Not all people want to dress up, maybe a higher class clientele (Snobs with $$).

Children welcome until 6:30
-Pro-if you don't have kids, you can enjoy your dinner without distraction of other peoples kids. If you have kids, you can enjoy a night out without your kids.
-Con-Sounds like they are excluding children and families. Some parents don't dine out without their children.

Smoking in designated areas only
-Pro-keeps smokers away from people who don't want to be around smoke.
-Con-smokers have to go out of their way to smoke

For me personally, it is probably not a place I would frequent, as it gives the appearance that it would be out of my price range.
LIforrelaxin (01-27-2010), NHKathy (01-27-2010)
Old 01-27-2010, 08:43 AM   #11
Argie's Wife

Appropriate attire requested

I hate to admit it but I'd need more info on this one... what does this mean? I do like to dress appropriately but how? No jeans? No shorts? ????

A poster earlier on another thread mentioned that the tapas restaurant would be accessible by snowmobile trails. I don't think people put on their nicest duds under their snowsuits, if you know what I mean.

But I can bring my dog, right?

I think the Ellacoya Barn & Grille has something like this... fine by me as long as it's not by the door like a previous poster said...
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:12 AM   #12
brk-lnt

IMO, the attire thing is generally difficult to enforce without frustrating yourself continuously. Where do you draw the line? If I'm wearing a $100 pair of designer jeans and a $400 casual coogi sweater is that more or less appropriate than the guy who comes wearing a pair of $25 Brooks Brothers khakis from the outlet mall with a faded Polo button down? Do you really want to play fashion police?

Smoking sucks (sorry to any smokers). I would setup a designated smoking area that is well away from the main door, and enforce that one as strictly (and politely) as possible.

Well-mannered kids are usually not an issue. A group of whining twitching kids that are allowed to run about like the joint is a Romper Room set are a pain in the ass. Problem is you never really know which you're going to get until it's too late.

Bottom-line is this, you've got about 12 weeks out of the year to really make your cash. A good majority of the clientele are non-local people who either rent places or have a second home in the area. Both of these groups may have difficulty getting a sitter, and may or may not always have their fanciest eating-out duds on hand. I wouldn't start out with too many policies that reduce your possible customer base too soon. Ideally you would have an area of the dining room where you can sort of cluster the families with kids away from some 2-tops and 4-tops that are intended for groups of adults enjoying an evening out.

As you build a reputation and a customer base it would probably be easier to slowly introduce some of these policies once you get a really good vibe for the business. You might also try something like a no-kids policy one or two nights a week so that you don't totally cut off that customer base, but also give the customers who truly appreciate a nice kids-free meal out a safe haven.

Just my thoughts...
Lucky1 (03-27-2010)
Old 01-27-2010, 09:52 AM   #13
NHKathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverat View Post
There should be establishments for kids, and some for families, and some for adults in my opinion: If I go to a kids restaurant or a family type one than I expect to see kids, But, If I take my wife to a nice adult type(usually pricey) place than I do not expect to see kids(especially the ones who seem invisable to their parents)
totally agree with the above and also during the day I also would expect to see kids at almost any restaurant...

as far as the comment of
"Appropriate attire requested."
this may not mean that you can not wear shorts and summer wear - it could mean appropriate as in not too revealing or distracting?
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #14
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default No smoking period.

I don't like to walk through smoke at the front door.

As for kids, most of them are well behave, so I don't really have a problem. It is when you have kids that are not behave. I'd have a room for them.

As for dress code. Those that like to 'fine dine', usually head out late, like say around 7 or 8 PM. Proper dress after 7 will be fine. Or have a lounge area for casual and dining for proper attire.

Enforcing a dress code will be difficult. Someone like Stephen Tyler may walk in with $1000 jeans and $1500 Gucci shirt looking like a rock star will be offended if he can't come in. Yet someone with Goodwill tux will past muster.

One thing you can do is advertised a 'formal night' and have a specific dinner theme like 'Italian night' or '"Mediteranean night" etc. People like to go for that.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:36 AM   #15
Pontoon Goon

Default Thanks for asking

Baygo, I like the fact that you are so willing to put yourself out there looking for feedback. It shows me that you really want to serve your customers. It also shows me that you are not really sure who your customer base is. And what better way to find out than simply ask. IMHO you would be turning away an awful lot of potential customers with to strict of a dress code. My attire up there during the summer consists of a bathing suit or clean shorts, sandels and a decent t-shirt. How about just posting No Bathing suits. This could be a great little destination stop for groups on motorcycles as well. Think Bike Week.
As far as kids go this likely would not be much of a problem. A tapas menu isn't really ideal for children anyway. You may be over thinking this one. If it is an issue then maybe trying to keep families in that front room past the staircase would be the solution.
I would like to wish you the best of luck. I think it a great idea.
Pontoon Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pontoon Goon For This Useful Post:
SteveA (01-27-2010)
Old 01-27-2010, 11:26 AM   #16
KonaChick

It says appropriate attire "requested" not "required" so I would imagine anything goes, it's just a little reminder that perhaps this isn't the sort of restaurant to wear ripped jeans and a t-shirt to.

No problem at all with the no kids after 6:30

Would not like smokers congregating outside the front door but from what I've seen in most places this rarely happens unless it's a bar.
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #17
Shore Driver

Doesn't The Manor on Golden Pond have a dress code? Only place I know of that does (which is why I've never been!).
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:28 PM   #18
beaner

Dress Code: As long as they are clean and don't smell, how the other diners are dressed doesn't affect my meal or my evening out. I imagine restaurants with multiple dining rooms might choose to seat people according to how nicely they are dressed. I don't have a problem with that.

Kids before 6:30: Have you ever gone out to a nice restaurant after, say 7:30 PM, and been seated next to little kids that hadn't eaten yet? The kids are hungry and tired. This is always a deal-breaker for us.

Smoking: The biggest problem with people congregating outside the door isn't having to walk through the cloud of smoke; it's the fact that the smoke gets drawn into the building, either through the doors or the ventilation system. Ever go into DeVylder's/Harvest Market in Wolfeboro when someone is smoking under the awning out front? You can smell the smoke all the way back to the deli. If we smell smoke in a restaurant, we won't stay.
beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:37 PM   #19
Newbiesaukee

As much as it pains me to say this, I do not think any of these rules is really to the restauranteur's benefit given that this is a family resort area and trying to make it "upscale" is a thankless task. You wind up alienating the good folks who would know what the right thing to do is and folks who don't know the right thing are not going to follow the rules anyway. It is just not worth the effort in the first place. Your heart is in the right place but it just "ain't worth it.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #20
Gearhead

Default My three cents:

If it's so upscale (read expensive) that I can't afford to take the kids, then I won't take the kids. No sign required. I can't imagine any self-respecting business owner turning down a hundred or so dollar tab because there are kids.

We were at the Mount Washington (hotel) a few years ago (with the kids), and the dining room said "Jackets required for Dinner" or something like that. We didn't bother with that nonsense. We don't need to be uppity to have a good time.

I think that restaurants shuld have smoking sections. Laissez-faire.
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:23 PM   #21
donnamatrix

Default Look at the other restaurants

I think "O" in Lakeport is rather upscale, and the pricing reflects it, but I have eaten dinner there in khaki pants and blouse... Canoe is one of the better restaurants around ... no dress code that I'm aware of. The Manor House may still require jacket/tie - we won't go there anyway-too expensive and snooty. This is a resort area, people wear resort-type clothing, you will shoot yourself in the foot (in my humble opinion) if you try to enforce a dress code.
I didn't think smoking was allowed in any restaurants anymore... and I agree that going to dinner after 7:30 it's less likely to have kids around. But this is a family-oriented resort town, and if you make a statement that kids are only welcome up to a certain time, well, then alot of locals and visitors will not be coming to your establishment.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:43 PM   #22
Sunrise Point

Default Thanks for asking...

Appropriate attire? We come up to NH to relax. On a night out, "dressed up" would be a pair of khaki pants for himself and maybe a denim skirt for me. We might arrive by motorcycle, so leather jacket, chaps and boots could also be part of our attire.

No children after 6:30? Ours are grown. I don't mind children in restaurants. My only complaint about children in restaurants would be directed to the occasional clueless parents who let their children run wild.

Outside smoking in designated areas only? Please just keep it away from the front door. You have so much outdoor space there, couldn't you provide an attractive area (side porch, gazebo, benches) of some sort so that the smokers don't feel like social outcasts?
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:34 PM   #23
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

[/I]

QUOTE]

That's what we need in the Lakes Region!! A place where we can bring our dogs! Good idea AW!!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:52 PM   #24
hockeypuck

I have to give you credit for asking. Hope the responses are of some help. I'm sure you must have a vision of the type of restaurant you want, studied the demographics of the area and the type of clientele you are targeting.
First I would say food quality,price, and dining experience will dictate what patrons you draw from. They kind of filter themselves out. Your advertising picture spreads and menu should convey your message.
As for smoking - No to smoking anywhere near the main entrance, think classy, first and last impression for guest should not be running the gauntlet of smoke and cigarette butts on the ground.
As for children - I think you need to work that out. Many vacationers eat later after the sun goes down and that may keep them away. Your price structure and image may filter them out.
As for appropriate dress - I'm unsure what that means and again summer in the lake region is casual, but that shouldn't mean sloppy. I Had dinner on Peter Island in the British Virgin Islands where "Proper Attire" meant long pants and a shirt with a collar. Lucky for us we had some on the boat. Cost of meal for four was $600.00. Maybe it wasn't so lucky.
Good luck
hockeypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:34 PM   #25
NoBozo

Lots of good ideas here.. but they are all the same. People here are "Walking On Eggs"...affraid to OFFEND. Well.. in my old age (68) I've seen a lot, and to fess up, my tolerance for PC Crap is all but disappeared. I was a nice guy all my life. Now... I speak my mind.

Today I'm not afraid to offend. Kids in a high end restaurant are NOT acceptable. Screeching babies in a car seat is not acceptable in a high end restaurant. I saw this at Mame's in Meridith.

Guys in a high end restaurant wearing work boots and Harley shirts and baseball caps (Inside) is unacceptable. It just shows how low class they are.

BTW: For all you bike riders..I have been riding for over 25 years with over 250,000 miles..three cross country's (US & Canada) to the west coast..uncounted trips through Canada, etc..some trips as long as FIVE weeks...and we carried appropriate clothing to enter a high end restaurant. Polished boots to start with...Just sayin. NB

PS: OK..Let the Flames Begin...
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #26
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
Lots of good ideas here.. but they are all the same. People here are "Walking On Eggs"...affraid to OFFEND. Well.. in my old age (68) I've seen a lot, and to fess up, my tolerance for PC Crap is all but disappeared. I was a nice guy all my life. Now... I speak my mind.

Today I'm not afraid to offend. Kids in a high end restaurant are NOT acceptable. Screeching babies in a car seat is not acceptable in a high end restaurant. I saw this at Mame's in Meridith.

Guys in a high end restaurant wearing work boots and Harley shirts and baseball caps (Inside) is unacceptable. It just shows how low class they are.

BTW: For all you bike riders..I have been riding for over 25 years with over 250,000 miles..three cross country's (US & Canada) to the west coast..uncounted trips through Canada, etc..some trips as long as FIVE weeks...and we carried appropriate clothing to enter a high end restaurant. Polished boots to start with...Just sayin. NB

PS: OK..Let the Flames Begin...
BWAHAHAA

I suspect he needs to decide if he wants a high class restaurant ONLY, as suggested, and the rejects can eat with FLL with the dollar meal at McDs OR he might want a compromise....
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:20 PM   #27
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
[/I]

QUOTE]

That's what we need in the Lakes Region!! A place where we can bring our dogs! Good idea AW!!
I'd rather go out to eat with my dog than my kids sometimes... he's always happy with what's on the menu and glad to be wherever we may go. His manners leave something to be desired, tho....
Old 01-27-2010, 10:48 PM   #28
Newbiesaukee

Default NoBozo

A businessman asked a perfectly reasonable question of the Forum. The answers have varied some but I do not see any "walking on eggs" nor do I see what "PC Crap" and the culture wars have to do with any of this. I am almost as old as you and agree that a lot of stuff is not going the way I would like it. It is perfectly fine to stand on principle when it is not your dime;but the poor guy is only trying to start a legitimate business, not change the world.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:29 PM   #29
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Add one other

Quote:

Appropriate attire: Fine for an exclusive dining room at a five star resort, but in a community where you are going to survive by the locals year round and the tourists/seasonal folks in season(s) (summer and winter), I wouldn't worry too much about dress code.

Well behaved children welcome. No time limit. Families often eat later, especially during vacations or on weekends. Don't cut yourself short with a time limit.

If you can keep the smokers away from the door, ok with a designated area. If not, post the area as no smoking period. (When I smoked, I would never stand next to the door to smoke.

Finally, Cell Phones. Nothing worse than hearing an obnoxious ring tone that is loud enough to be heard over a Rock Concert at Meadowbrook. "Please shut off cell phones or put on silent ring". If the patrons are kind enough to do that, perhaps they will also be kind enough to carry any calls they do get outside.

Good luck.
BroadHopper (01-28-2010), DRH (01-28-2010), ishoot308 (01-28-2010), Meredith lady (03-30-2010), Newbiesaukee (01-28-2010), Overlake97 (02-21-2010), Pontoon Goon (01-28-2010), Rattlesnake Gal (01-29-2010), Resident 2B (01-28-2010), robmac (01-28-2010), SteveA (01-28-2010), Sunrise Point (01-28-2010), Whimsey (02-01-2010)
Old 01-28-2010, 09:37 AM   #30
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
A businessman asked a perfectly reasonable question of the Forum. The answers have varied some but I do not see any "walking on eggs" nor do I see what "PC Crap" and the culture wars have to do with any of this. I am almost as old as you and agree that a lot of stuff is not going the way I would like it. It is perfectly fine to stand on principle when it is not your dime;but the poor guy is only trying to start a legitimate business, not change the world.

In retrospect, I probably should have kept my mouth shut. I was not attacking the restaurant owner at all. I have been pondering the plight of restaurant owners for years, ....trying to make a living with a restaurant.... with his hands tied behind his back. Unable to deny service to anyone without encouraging a lawsuit. "We reserve the right to deny service to anyone" used to be an acceptable option, before PC took hold. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:11 AM   #31
ishoot308

Thanked 4,940 Times in 1,916 Posts
Default Well Said upthesaukee!

I think upthesaukee has it pretty much covered for me. I could not have said it any better.

Dan
ishoot308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:39 AM   #32
Argie's Wife

Taking kids out to eat is a crap shoot, really. I'm a big advocate of "let the parents parent" and staying out of other people's biz w/ their kiddos. On one hand, you can have very well behaved children who do well in any setting but on the other hand, have mini-monsters who can ruin a nice evening out.

As a parent of a 4 year old and an 8 year old (both boys), I've learned to recognize my kids limits and not to push them. Our oldest boy can hold his own in a conversation with adults and knows manners - I seldom have to remind him. Our youngest is developmentally delayed and is just reaching the point where we can go to McDonald's or Friendly's with success.

In short: If I want to have a good time, I simply hire a sitter or go to a restaurant where I know they'll behave appropriately. Or I stay home!

Remember, the families that are in restaurants are also there for a good time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
JanN (01-29-2010), robmac (01-28-2010)
Old 01-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #33
loony

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Appropriate attire: Fine for an exclusive dining room at a five star resort, but in a community where you are going to survive by the locals year round and the tourists/seasonal folks in season(s) (summer and winter), I wouldn't worry too much about dress code.

Well behaved children welcome. No time limit. Families often eat later, especially during vacations or on weekends. Don't cut yourself short with a time limit.

If you can keep the smokers away from the door, ok with a designated area. If not, post the area as no smoking period. (When I smoked, I would never stand next to the door to smoke.

Finally, Cell Phones. Nothing worse than hearing an obnoxious ring tone that is loud enough to be heard over a Rock Concert at Meadowbrook. "Please shut off cell phones or put on silent ring". If the patrons are kind enough to do that, perhaps they will also be kind enough to carry any calls they do get outside.

Good luck.
Here are my 2 cents....

I've been going to the lakes region since the mid 90's and have seen lots of restaurants come and go. I go up there to relax and enjoy the diverse restaurant choices. I have observed that the restaurants that survive are the ones that offer a good value and have a solid local following. The ones that come and go, tend to gouge the tourists, then find it difficult to survive the long winters. Nothing worse than paying lots of $ and having a bad experience.
There are many subjective qualities that make a restaurant good or bad; quality, service, atmosphere, and cost. Restaurants will balance each differently. It's really about demographics. What group are you targeting for, and is the group big enough to sustain your business.
loony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:50 PM   #34
Pam

I think the term "appropriate attire" is too vague. The Lakes Region is very casual.

I have never been aware of a restaurant in the area (or in the greater Boston area, for that matter) setting a time limit on when people can bring children or not. Having such a policy seems extremely stuffy.

Rather than having rules and regulations (with the exception of the no-smoking rule), I would think a better strategy would be to advertise/promote a certain type of restaurant, such as fine dining, with carefully chosen adjectives, such as "elegant" or "formal". That way people get the idea in a more positive way.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:17 AM   #35
riverat

Default Read the Signs

Dining out has been one of our favorite hobbies for years, and we have learned from experience to "Read the Signs". We are in our mid fifties and do not have kids and do not smoke. That being said:
If we see a sign(ei;Friendly's) "Weds Kids Meal $1.99" than I know what to expect.
If I see on the sign "Family Dining" than I know what to expect.

If I see on the sign "Fine Dining" than I know what to expect.

Usually when we head out to eat, or on the road and decide to stop and eat, I take these things into consideration, a) what do we feel like eating. b) How much do we feel like spending, c)Are we dressed appropriately for the desired place(very rare decision).

IMO- We as patrons have a very short window of oppertunity to decide, once entering an establishment to make up our mind if it is "right place for us"
Once we are seated and drink order taken, we need to "scoped out the area and prices. If not what we were looking for than that is the time to leave.
If we are seated in a section with unruley kids, than we ask to be seated elsewhere.
First impression are everything for your patrons, Service with a smile, Good Food, Reasonable Prices, and Clean facilities should be your main concern. The menu you choose will dictate your clientile and your required dress.

Again IMO- no offense, but smoking does not enhance ones appetite and should not be inhaled entering or leaving your place.(first impressions)
Old 01-29-2010, 08:14 AM   #36
NightWing

Talking

Please put shoes upon your feet
I'm here for dinner and trying to eat

I have no interest in your ugly toes
I've never seen worse than the sight of those

Scaly ankles and two crusty heels
Make me puke up my last three meals

Busted nails with bright red polish
Feet like yours they should abolish

Nature has made a big mistake
We should have flippers to swim in the lake

No more feet and no more toes
No more heels no barefoot shows

No more corns or calluses too
From jamming the foot in too small a shoe

So flippers we need to stop the whole trend
Of showing the feet which often offend

copyright
Old 01-29-2010, 09:22 AM   #37
phoenix

i would stay consistent with other like restaurants in the area. Woodshed, canoe, etc as far a dress
Old 01-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #38
GTO

Default don't forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing View Post
Please put shoes upon your feet
I'm here for dinner and trying to eat

I have no interest in your ugly toes
I've never seen worse than the sight of those

Scaly ankles and two crusty heels
Make me puke up my last three meals

Busted nails with bright red polish
Feet like yours they should abolish

Nature has made a big mistake
We should have flippers to swim in the lake

No more feet and no more toes
No more heels no barefoot shows

No more corns or calluses too
From jamming the foot in too small a shoe

So flippers we need to stop the whole trend
Of showing the feet which often offend

copyright

I need to eat, I've chosen this place
please put a bag, over that god awful face

Your nose is too big and your eyes are sunk in
and that hair from your mole coming out of you chin

Your ears are too small or your head is too large
Hey, aren't you from that other thread, I think your names Marge

I'm just here for a burger and a couple of fries
I have now noticed, your attracting some flies

Paper or plastic, just put it on quick
I've eaten my meal, now I think I'm gonna be sick

We can have fun with this one........
Old 01-30-2010, 09:27 PM   #39
gravy boat

Thumbs up hahahaha

Very amusing! lololol
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:07 PM   #40
Pricestavern

Default Not too bad

I'd say your policies aren't unreasonable, but I think you'd do better with allowing children up to 8pm. Unless you're not interested in a "family" type setting. I think you'd be losing out on alot of food revenue.
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:42 PM   #41
Pricestavern

Default My face is my own, the one that I’ve got

These are my toes and this is my nose
They smell you say like most of this prose.
Its what they'll do untill Judgement day
If God and Nature will have their way.

I follow them both wherever they lead
Sometimes it's diners, on which I will feed.
And there we both sit, with you and your face.
Just how did we both come to this place?.

We are not so different, though you may disagree
My parts, - your farts,:just a different degree
Ice In, Ice Out: Our focus, Our creed
Way up here on Winnipesaukee
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:08 AM   #42
twoplustwo

Default chuckling

AND 2+2 is always appropriately dressed.

You've never seen me get the mail in my snowman pajamas, apparently
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #43
angela4design

Default Pricey = Appropriate?

Where would a pair of $300 jeans fit in? People spend a lot for Designer jeans that are "distressed". But they're expensive... where does something like that fit in? Same for sneakers!

I think it has to be expressly stated: collared shirts only, no hats, shorts or sandals, etc. (Now, I suppose you would have to golf in long pants if you're dropping in for a drink after nine holes in that case!)
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:08 AM   #44
wolfegirl

Default Seating plan and pricing....

I think you should use a seating plan and pricing/ menu options to establish your clientele.

Re attire - the wording seems ok to me.

REgarding kids - If you have a kids menu, then set the price to a level that attracts the people you want and is a barrier to low-spenders. If you do not want children there evenings, do not offer a kids menu. However, a family night, especially Friday, the last night for lots of vacation rentals, could be a good money-maker; maybe even a Friday menu with family fare.
In fact, a Friday menu with quickly cooked meals could enable more turnover than the usual fine dining menu.

Similarly, if you have a hostess, set aside some part of the place for casual dressers, families, etc... that way, the fine dining element won't be too upset by very casual dressers and rowdy families.

no smoking is reasonable. if you have a smoking area, please don't put it at the front door.

Good luck
wolfegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:29 AM   #45
VtSteve

It's not like the old days where most people read signs like that and figured it out. Dress codes nowadays are pretty relative. Kids? Well you have to give the parents a message.

If your establishment has fine linen, well-dressed staff and an expensive menu, Appropriately displayed online, in the phonebook, And outside your establishment, that may work far better than a policy statement.

No way am I going to bring my kids into a restaurant to eat that even looks fancy, and generally has expensive meals. First off, they probably wouldn't like it, second, the patrons inside wouldn't either

In time, people figure it all out, most anyway.

But all over the country, there are many great restaurants that are pretty casual and kid friendly. You'll have to compete against what's available locally. It all depends on the ambiance and size of your establishment. Hart's Turkey Farm for me becomes a turnoff with all the noise and chaos in the main rooms. But I know that going in.

Generally speaking, I get my cues from the menu first, then the looks of the establishment from the outside. It becomes second nature after awhile. Restaurants that display Appropriate Attire Requested, for me, it's common sense as to what that means. For others? I suspect you'll have to endure a small minority every now and again, but so what?
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:45 AM   #46
KDL

Many years ago we entered a well established water front restaurant for lunch and were quickly made aware that our children were not welcomed. We now pass by this same place quite often with our adult children and never even consider going in. I would be careful about making anyone feel unwanted. You have the potential to have unruly patrons in all age groups. Don't discriminate on age.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #47
Hermit Cover

Smile Concern.....

Obviously the ownership/management of this establishment is concerned enough to stick their neck out into the forum to ask important questions about their future clientele....We like that. I am confident that they are also putting equal thought process into the physical plant and immediate surroundings. With a very inviting "outer" and easy and clean parking....and a great menu with equally great cuisine....this new place will draw a steady and repeat customer and it will be a hit. If the food and physical plant do not match the hype.....kids and dress won't overcome a bad plate....Can't wait to try this place out!
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:18 PM   #48
Lucky1

The way things have been going in this economy, I would open a clean, friendly restaurant that serves good food at a fair price and hope people will come!

Forget the things in the post about dress code, and kids. I think no smoking is acceptable but not sure. Can't people go outside to smoke or smoke before and after they eat if they insist on killing themselves. Good luck with your new adventure.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:16 AM   #49
Tired of Waiting

Default Just one example

I can only give you one example.

There is a place here in MA that had a coat and tie rule. The wife and I entered the place for a dinner. It was our anniversary. Upon entering we were tole I could not be seated because I wasn't wearing a tie or coat. I was dressed in nice, relatively expensive casual wear.

They said they could give me a coat and tie so I could sit and eat. The ugliest things I have ever seen.

I simple stated that my money is as green as any others and their food wasn't good enough for me to sit with a coat and tie that countless others I don't know have worn.

The place went out of business. A couple years later they reopened under new rules, I still won't go there even though the rules have changed to "proper attire."

Once you loose a patron you may never get them back. And could extend to their friends through word of mouth.

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:53 AM   #50
jrc

I can imagine a "coat and tie" restaurant surviving in a large city like Boston. But to have such a rule in a lake vacation area is just plain silly.

Even with a "proper attire" rule, what are you gaining by limiting your customer base? Are there a meaniful amount of people in central NH that would not go to restaurant because other patrons may be dressed in casual clothing? Are there people that would search out a restaurant that required "proper attire" and chose it above a more flexible alternative?

Now ask the same question with regards to a "tappas" restaurant, which is essentially bar food. I just don't get it.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
angela4design (03-28-2010)