Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2021, 08:11 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default ...... steal-of-a-deal, old, beat-up lumber???

Hmmmmmmm ...... hmmmm ...... hmmmm ..... makes me wonder ..... about ..... how, last fall, sometime in October I had six pieces of old construction lumber mysteriously disappear from my side yard where they had been temporarily stored; one 2"x6"x10', two 2"x10"x10', and three 2"x4"x10', all stained with dark brown, solid latex stain ..... which I have been using and reusing for the prior 15-years or so for installing and removing my aluminum dock and boat lift up and down the six foot high, rocky, steep embankment and into Lake Winnipesaukee for use as a seasonal boat dock.

So ...... everyone on-board here ...... please be on the look-out for these six pieces of construction lumber that are old, punky, full of old screw holes from years of re-use, and stained dark brown which ...... apparently ....... some unknown person or persons ...... swiped ..... from my side yard. Each and every year for something like the last 15-years, I would assemble and dis-assemble these big boards, with about 18 long screws into a ramp that's 10'x10' for raising and lowering all the different dock sections with the help of a pow'r pull so these boards have a lot of wear and tear and different, old screw holes.

Is highly unlikely these boards that all-together must weigh about 50-75 lbs could have been removed by a black bear or a local beaver ..... so's they must have been taken by someone looking to get some construction lumber ...... although very old, weathered and all beat up ...... at a steal-of-a-deal type of a price! ....

And, replacing them in November with all new, same size boards from Lowe's cost me about $85 what with the big increase in lumber prices. ...

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-14-2021 at 08:00 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 12:13 PM   #2
bobkatfly

Isn't that the second theft you've had in as many years?

Amherst till the big 66 comes (made it!)
Winter Harbor/Mirror Lake till the big guy comes
bobkatfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 12:19 PM   #3
fatlazyless

Default ..... almost stolen hula-hoops?

Ya know, thinking about these missing old 10'-long big boards got me thinking about two 6-lb weighed hula-hoops that almost went missing as well.

Sometime last November or so, I pull into the driveway in my car and immediately notice my two hula-hoops, usually kept hanging on a large hook on the front exterior of the house are now laying up on the driveway, very close to the road, there.

That was a head scratch-er ..... that one ..... like, what the heck are these two $60-hula hoops doing there on the driveway, close to the road, when they should be hanging on an exterior hook, down at the waterfront.

So, I put two and two together and just assume that some unknown person came and removed them, only to change their mind upon getting back to their car, or something. Like, maybe the hoops, which are very large, would not fit in their car trunk, or maybe they just decided that they did not want or need these two weighted hula-hoops? Maybe, they asked themselves ...... why-o-why .... am I taking these large two hula-hoops.... do I really want a weighted hula-hoop .... even if it is free to me ..... because it is stolen?

Who knows ...... but here after ..... I keep them locked up inside the house as opposed to storing them outside on a hook.

By the way ...... hula-hooping with a 6-lb knobby hula-hoop will make you incredibly physically fit ..... and extend your life for an extra 25-years ...... warrantied!

Just google ...... 'weighted hula-hoop, Korean.'
Old 03-13-2021, 01:45 PM   #4
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts
Question

I think FLL has lost his noodles or maybe they were stolen.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 02:13 PM   #5
8gv

Put the lumber in the safe and your cash on the porch...

Welcome to 2021.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2021, 03:32 PM   #6
garysanfran

But soon you'll have 20 new houses built on 53.5 acres right behind you. Having all those people around, I'm sure will watch over your stuff.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-13-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 08:52 PM   #7
ApS

Question With "The Lumber Shortage"...

Possibly a renovation in your neighborhood has sighted "discarded lumber"?

If there are any builder's dumpsters nearby, I'd ask there about your easily-identified (and newly-missing) lumber. Or...

Got a neighbor with a new aluminum dock?
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:12 PM   #8
covelife

Default deal (no way)

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
But soon you'll have 20 new houses built on 53.5 acres right behind you. Having all those people around, I'm sure will watch over your stuff.
Unfortunately, Fat is despised by many of his neighbors because of the amount of junk he has in his yard; I doubt many would watch out for him or his c**p!
covelife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to covelife For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-13-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 10:06 PM   #9
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by covelife View Post
Unfortunately, Fat is despised by many of his neighbors because of the amount of junk he has in his yard; I doubt many would watch out for him or his c**p!
That's not junk, those are his prize possesions. His girl friend, Marie Calender, keeps him so busy he has no time to clean up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 03-14-2021, 03:49 AM   #10
fatlazyless

Default .......... oh well ........ ???

Soft wood construction grade lumber like the boards that got removed are actually very strong and resilient. These old boards were something like 15-years old, used multiple times for removing/installing my ancient aluminum 5'x10' dock sections.

They took a lick'n and kept on tick'n ...... like that old Timex Watch ad line ..... goes for soft wood construction grade lumber ..... and, their very high prices will come back down over the next six months or something.

These boards get soak'n wet, dried out in the sun, filled full of screw holes, rot sets in a few spots ..... and then the pandemic pushes up the prices so someone comes along and steals these old boards ...... is really kind of wacky ... that someone would take these six worn out, beat-up boards ..... all things considered. They did not look like anything too special ..... just some beat up lumber with brown stain from maybe five years ago.

............ oh well ..........??? ...... I like to think that whoever took it, went and recycled these old boards into constructing a 12'-high x 24'-wide tennis hitting backboard, down at ye olde tennis courts, and then gave it a good coat of dark green paint with a white line to simulate the tennis net ...... that's where it went!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-14-2021 at 07:24 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (03-14-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 03:13 PM   #11
dpg

Reading this thread was just 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back...
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-17-2021), Top-Water (04-15-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 06:39 AM   #12
fatlazyless

Question ....... vindictive vandalism?

Ok ....... so here's two cases of minor vindictive vandalism that just took place this week at my Cattle Landing address.

Yesterday, Saturday March 20 I spend about three hours raking the old leaves and picking up the winter blow-down branches and placing into my small gray utility trailer for disposal at the Meredith town transfer station.

Around five o'clock, yesterday, I notice that the two rain canopy vertical supports, 1"x 48" dowels painted gray to match trailer have been smashed and broken. So, some time between Friday, March 19 7:30-pm and Saturday, March 20 3-pm, some unknown person smashed and broke off these two items, attached wood structure items on my all wood small utility trailer as it was parked in my driveway and attached to the trailer hitch on my Scion xB. Is a small steel frame trailer with a home made plywood upper box, about 4'x 6' x 24" size with two 14"- 4 lug nut tires/wheels.

Previously, sometime on Sunday evening or night, March 15, some unknown person pushed my potted decorative spruce tree which must weigh about 100-lbs off its old tree stump that is next to the driveway and immediately close to Cattle Landing Rd. At first I think maybe the wind blew it over but in light of this more recent vandalism on the trailer it now seems plausible that it was pushed over. It suffered little to no damage and I was able to stand it back up.

So, while these are relatively minor items, I consider both to be vindictive vandalism done by some unknown person.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:00 AM   #13
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Ok ....... so here's two cases of minor vindictive vandalism that just took place this week at my Cattle Landing address.

Yesterday, Saturday March 20 I spend about three hours raking the old leaves and picking up the winter blow-down branches and placing into my small gray utility trailer for disposal at the Meredith town transfer station.

Around five o'clock, yesterday, I notice that the two rain canopy vertical supports, 1"x 48" dowels painted gray to match trailer have been smashed and broken. So, some time between Friday, March 19 7:30-pm and Saturday, March 20 3-pm, some unknown person smashed and broke off these two items, attached wood structure items on my all wood small utility trailer as it was parked in my driveway and attached to the trailer hitch on my Scion xB. Is a small steel frame trailer with a home made plywood upper box, about 4'x 6' x 24" size with two 14"- 4 lug nut tires/wheels.

Previously, sometime on Sunday evening or night, March 15, some unknown person pushed my potted decorative spruce tree which must weigh about 100-lbs off its old tree stump that is next to the driveway and immediately close to Cattle Landing Rd. At first I think maybe the wind blew it over but in light of this more recent vandalism on the trailer it now seems plausible that it was pushed over. It suffered little to no damage and I was able to stand it back up.

So, while these are relatively minor items, I consider both to be vindictive vandalism done by some unknown person.
FLL, I was thinking you were joking in past posts, but it appears you may actually have some vandalization happening? Any ideas why?

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:05 AM   #14
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
FLL, I was thinking you were joking in past posts, but it appears you may actually have some vandalization happening? Any ideas why?

No, I honestly have no clue and no idea who?

Right now is Sunday morning and these two trailer vandalism smash items on trailer parked in driveway had to happen sometime on Friday night or Saturday morning. The lower half of each broken 48" dowel canopy support is still attached to the trailer with two or three long wood screws so's it must have got smacked with some other object with a lot of power as opposed to trying to break them with one's bare hand, just looking at the manner in which these two birch 1" diameter dowels are broken.
Old 03-22-2021, 02:25 PM   #15
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Might be worth purchasing a game camera and strategically placing it in a place that could catch the possible perpetrators if they ever return. I'm sure Wal-Mart has cheapo ones, may not work well, but it'll be cheap.

If it turns out that somebody is purposely doing this you'd have evidence to share with LE, without it you're stuck speculating what the cause is. While implausible based on your description, there still could be an alternative explanation for the observed damage.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
ApS (03-22-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 02:31 PM   #16
Biggd

If anyone needed his junk that bad they must be desperate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Might be worth purchasing a game camera and strategically placing it in a place that could catch the possible perpetrators if they ever return. I'm sure Wal-Mart has cheapo ones, may not work well, but it'll be cheap.

If it turns out that somebody is purposely doing this you'd have evidence to share with LE, without it you're stuck speculating what the cause is. While implausible based on your description, there still could be an alternative explanation for the observed damage.

Last edited by Biggd; 03-22-2021 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:49 PM   #17
fatlazyless

Default .... is it the April 11, 2020 unknown who returns to my address, this week?

Ok ........ so ........ it happen again today, Monday March 22 down at my little place on Cattle Landing ...... about 6:45-pm I had been raking the old leaves down close to the waterfront, and so I go up about 225', the length of this .23-acre lot to the road area to get another empty large trash can for filling with the leaves.

And ...... lo & behold ...... this 100-lb 3' high miniature spruce tree in a large green fiberglass plant pot has been rolled over, again, just like on sometime Friday night.

So, since last Friday night that makes twice this 100-lb plant pot gets rolled over on its side with little to no damage. Plus, two wood supports on my utiity trailer got smashed on Friday as well. It appears the unknown vandal used a 48" 2x4" support from the trailer winter tarp set-up to smash these two wood pieces because it has a dent and a paint splotch of gray paint that got transferred to it from the gray trailer during the smash.

So, what do you think, with this second miniature Spruce plant 100-lb roll-over do I stop into the Meredith P.D. tomorrow and make a report, or what?

I was there back on April 11, 2020 ...... at the Meredith P.D. ...... for a police report on the ...... "...... scary notice in my mail box" from the Covid-19 Discussions & Information, down below ...... and that was a very positive experience with the Meredith Police officer at the station ..... something I had not done probably since 1979.

Anyway ...... who knows ...... but maybe the unknown author of the scary note from April 11, 2020 and this unknown vindictive vandal, this week, are the same person who simply does not want me to be there, at 98 Cattle Landing Rd, or something?
Old 03-22-2021, 09:22 PM   #18
garysanfran

I'd strongly suggest setting up a wireless security cam. I use Arlo cams and love watching the wildlife from here in San Francisco. No problems so far.

Today I saw a guy in yellow vest crossing my yard to enter the 53.5 acre site of the next door proposed development. I could talk to him over the intercom function...He was counting and tagging trees. He said he didn't know why, he just worked for the surveyor.

It records a very high quality video you can e-mail to Meredith PD.

Not much money, but well spent. And you'll sleep better.
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
winnidee (03-27-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 05:55 AM   #19
fatlazyless

That seems like a very good suggestion, a remote video cam with a talking feature so you can say "hey BUDDY, what are you doing here!"

I'm a little challenged with computer, technology items so's it will be really something if I am able to get a system to work, correctly?

That must have been a BIG SURPRISE to the tree tagger/counter, when a voice from some where starts asking questions.

So, if the large 53.5-acre forest area becomes a new home development with paved roads, it seems plausible that Cushing Rd and Harris Rd could get extended and attached, creating a large loop down here. A loop would include Cattle Landing Rd, Cushing Rd, and Harris Rd, to make it a loop.

Plus, there is Happy Homes Rd close to this forest property as well?

What do you think is the possibility for this to all be happening? Maybe ten years ago there was a big to-do about this local 53.5-acre land, new homes item, but it fell through and nothing happened?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-23-2021 at 06:39 AM.
Old 03-23-2021, 11:25 AM   #20
garysanfran

Arlo is owned by Netgear and their tech support will help you get this running. I bought mine from Best Buy and the Geek Squad can also help you. The cams can operate wirelessly for many months and have an incredible range. They can also be "plugged in".

Following the instructions is quite straight-forward. I had no problem setting up until one of my cams (I have four) couldn't connect. Netgear tech support solved it quickly.

You can set the sensitivity. My system will automatically video the movement of a red squirrel 50' away. But on a windy day, moving tree branches will also be recorded.

I've watched lots of wildlife...Deer, fox, bear, bobcat, mink, blue heron and a guy with a yellow vest.

I can help you set it up.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:08 PM   #21
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

FLL, I've got Blink cameras that are also easy to set up.

Grab one of the ones the members here have used, and you'll have your own tech support!

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:28 PM   #22
Whimsey

Default Blink Wireless Cameras

I have an outdoor wireless setup and it works well. Blink has to connect with your wireless router but all the controls and set up is done from an app on your phone. I'd be happy to help if you need a technical consult.
Whimsey is offline   Reply With Quote