Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2015, 09:27 PM   #1
Tundra

Default Walmart Suspends Gun Sales?

When Gilford Walmart reopened as a "Super" Walmart, they started selling rifles, but I noticed over the weekend, the cases were emptied and there was sign that all firearms sales were suspended. Does anyone why? Seems odd they only had them for a few months (if that).
Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:58 AM   #2
fatlazyless

http://www.finance.yahoo.com/news/wa...233800467.html ...have no clue so I googled 'wal-mart suspends gun sales' and this came up?
pondguy (03-24-2015), Tundra (03-25-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 06:01 AM   #3
PaugusBayFireFighter

The new Walmarts front door is now located in the city, not Gilford. That means Laconia police handle any police business at Walmart. The city also has the burden of investigating and prosecuting police incidents there.
Not sure if it has anything to do with zoning or paperwork with Laconia. I'd assume they would anticipate this when planning the remodel.
Just a guess that the change from Gilford to Laconia has something to do with it, temporarily.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:04 AM   #4
dpg

Nothing sounds decided yet surprised they moved out and removed them already. Kind of sounds like their giving in easily in this matter. Buying a gun at Wal Mart just sounds wrong to me there are some purchases I don't mind spending top dollar for top quality. For me a gun certainly fits that criteria.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:37 AM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I didn't exactly hear the whole story but I heard something on the radio last night that this involves all Walmarts. Something about the stockholders are nervous because the trend is the country is to not allow people to have guns. Wish I paid more attention, but the one thing I know I heard was that it is Walmart in general.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2015, 07:49 AM   #6
dave603

Default Tis

There is a minority Wal Mart stock holder, a NYC Church, that has a suit going with Wall Mart over the sale of what the church and the law suit are calling assault rifles with large capacity magazines. It stems from the Church wanting "shareholders to vote on a resolution calling on Wal-Mart’s board to review management decisions to sell the weapons, as well as other products that could harm the company’s reputation." It seems they are both suing each other over allowing this type of resolution to be admitted to the shareholders.

I don't see why that lawsuit has caused Wal Mart to pull all of it's guns off the shelves, since none of the stores around here I've been to, carry those type rifles around here anyway.

From what I found online, the church only has around 3500 shares of stock.
Since this particular shareholder is NYC based, which has no Wal-marts, the stock may have been bought, just to bring this type of resolution up to the other shareholders.

It does seem more likely that it's just a temporary licensing issue due to the move.
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dave603 For This Useful Post:
tis (03-25-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 06:18 PM   #7
Rusty

I was in the Rochester Walmart today and they had plenty of rifles.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:53 AM   #8
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Something about the stockholders are nervous because the trend is the country is to not allow people to have guns.
Someone better tell the rest of the country! Since the current administration came into office, there have been record high gun and ammo sales in just about every state! There are more people than ever that are buying guns, joining gun clubs, going to public ranges and taking firearms training classes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (03-25-2015), wynndog (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 11:24 AM   #9
tis

I agree, Rich. I think most of our are tired of losing our right, but the vocal minority seem to be running this country.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:01 PM   #10
SIKSUKR

I am one of those guys that purchased guns in the last 2 years. I never had any desire to own one since I didn't hunt or fear for my safety in general. I just plain didn't like them. The big push by this administration against fire arms provoked this guy to buy 3 pistols and plenty of ammo. I did use the range a lot at the beginning but have not at all the past year losing interest. But the 1 and only reason I bought them was/is the constant assault on owning them. FWIW
Jersey Ed (03-26-2015), wynndog (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 02:06 PM   #11
tis

You are not the only one, Sik. That's why the big increase in sales, obviously.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:31 PM   #12
PaugusBayFireFighter

I was in Walmart today and noticed the guns were in their display cases. I asked the clerk why they were taken off the display for a day. He said the reason for the guns being removed was trigger locks. The guns have to have trigger locks. This Walmart broke "the" key to all the trigger locks so the locks had to be replaced. They are back in their display cases.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
Rusty (03-25-2015), Tundra (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 03:18 PM   #13
Rich

Nice to hear the rumors are resolved.

Now just wait... this rumor will spread like wildfire on the internet, the next thing that will happen is that you will hear about it on the evening national news!
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
Rusty (03-25-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 06:05 AM   #14
riverat

Default Maybe because of this

http://www.wmur.com/news/receipts-sh...in-nh/32013294
Old 03-26-2015, 07:28 AM   #15
extremenewenglander

Default ? Walmart in Laconia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
The new Walmarts front door is now located in the city, not Gilford. That means Laconia police handle any police business at Walmart. The city also has the burden of investigating and prosecuting police incidents there.
Not sure if it has anything to do with zoning or paperwork with Laconia. I'd assume they would anticipate this when planning the remodel.
Just a guess that the change from Gilford to Laconia has something to do with it, temporarily.
Not sure how when maps show Walmart along with Shaw's Supermarket, TJ max, China Bistro, Lowe's, CVS and Sargent's Place in Gilford. Perhaps some kind of deal Walmart worked out with Laconia and Gilford.
Attached Images

extremenewenglander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:49 AM   #16
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Actually well-reported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremenewenglander View Post
Not sure how when maps show Walmart along with Shaw's Supermarket, TJ max, China Bistro, Lowe's, CVS and Sargent's Place in Gilford. Perhaps some kind of deal Walmart worked out with Laconia and Gilford.
Going back to the beginning of the planning process for this expansion, the fact that the plaza's property includes property both in Laconia and Gilford. The property line comes into the plaza from the rear of the plaza and only involves the Walmart end of the plaza, as I remember a drawing from that time frame. A recent report said that if a shoplifter went out the main entrance (left front), it was a Laconia crime; leaving by the Garden Center exit (extreme right) becomes a Gilford crime. Go figure.

Glad I am not the tax accountant for Walmart on this one.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:51 AM   #17
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremenewenglander View Post
This picture was copied from the forum. It shows the Laconia Gilford line in red. I believe the office, which holds the security personnel and monitoring equipment, is now located in a room that is in the Laconia section of the store. This had to be planned and agreed on by Laconia as it adds a heavy burden to the city.
I assume this being a "line box" that both Gilford and Laconia Fire respond to every transmitted alarm, Gilford handling the medical calls.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
Crusty (03-26-2015)