Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2018, 03:23 PM   #1
sum-r breeze

Default JP China Alton Bay

We had the opportunity to dine at JP China on Saturday night. A long time friend (Water Camper) plays in a band that was playing there on Saturday. We called and made reservations for our party of 9 that eventually grew to 11 and they couldn't have been more accommodating. They set up a special table out of high top tables and chairs near the buffet area. We were close to the food and could see and hear the band from our seats. The food was great and the service was even better!! The band, "Bend the Ride," was rockin' the place for 3 sets from 7 to 11. Great night at the lake!!

Last edited by sum-r breeze; 01-28-2019 at 12:08 PM.
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sum-r breeze For This Useful Post:
DotRat (07-24-2019)
Old 09-24-2018, 04:02 PM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum-r breeze View Post
We had the opportunity to dine at JP China on Saturday night. A long time friend (Water Camper) plays in a band that was playing there on Saturday. We called and made reservations for our party of 9 that eventually grew to 11 and they couldn't be more accommodating. They set up a special table out of high top tables and chairs near the buffet area. We were close to the food and could see and hear the band from our seats. The food was great and the service was even better!! The band, "Bend the Ride," was rockin' the place for 3 sets from 7 to 11. Great night at the lake!!
We only go a couple of times a year, usually during bike week, but the food and service has been on point!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:28 PM   #3
Mr. V

They have good food and their logo'd shirts aren't bad either.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:56 AM   #4
GBGX2

Default Great food and staff!

My wife and I eat there regularly and always have excellent food and service. The owner is very community oriented and consistently helps her neighbors in the Alton area. A worthy restaurant to support year round!
GBGX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GBGX2 For This Useful Post:
DotRat (07-24-2019), Reilly (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 07:24 AM   #5
Water Camper

Default J P China

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum-r breeze View Post
We had the opportunity to dine at JP China on Saturday night. A long time friend (Water Camper) plays in a band that was playing there on Saturday. We called and made reservations for our party of 9 that eventually grew to 11 and they couldn't be more accommodating. They set up a special table out of high top tables and chairs near the buffet area. We were close to the food and could see and hear the band from our seats. The food was great and the service was even better!! The band, "Bend the Ride," was rockin' the place for 3 sets from 7 to 11. Great night at the lake!!
Walter,

It was great to see you and your crew the other night. J P China is one of our favorite places to play in the Lakes Region. Follow us online at www.BendtheRide.com. Hope to see you again soon !

Thanks,
Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2018, 05:59 PM   #6
eyenotall777

Default Couldn't Wait!!!

Went out for one last ride of the season!! Already decided JP would be our dinner even though have not been hearing positive from several friends and families regarding food...not drinks, just want to make that clear right away!! Got a couple speciality dishes amongst 2 combos for 2 people!! $80 later not including tip which still tipped 20% because it's not the waitress, she wasn't the cook, however she did slack with only 2 people at the bar and only her 3rd day which she said repeatedly and did not know anything (her words). Have to admit friends and family are right!!! Specialty dishes horrible (Mongolian Beef, veggie lo Mein and General Tso). Very obvious new cooks!! All salt, no real flavor or heat!! I let it be known to Owner on way out That we frequent as well as family and friends..her reply that's what's happens when you have a 68 yr old. Not sure if that is head cook or head cook that left. Told her I did not believe my family friends until I tried for myself. Next reply I'm first one to complain and walked away into kitchen. Not true!! Told My Cousin and she said she let her know few weeks ago too how salty and no flavor!! I was not looking for anything but help her to be successful. You will not make it on just selling alcohol. No idea what happened to you or your place of business. Wish you much success as you have put a lot a lot into it and looks great, but you lost A 4 season Masshole family of 35 with your attitude!! Again I figure let her know face to face, obviously could not handle the politeness and she knows my whole family. Has anyone else noticed a difference in taste, flavor and texture of speciality dishes?? Again...Wish you much success!!

Last edited by eyenotall777; 10-09-2018 at 07:04 PM.
eyenotall777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:54 PM   #7
Lakesailor

Let's be honest about their food. In September 2017, I ordered some take out food from them. It was barely edible. Actually, it was horrible. I won't be back.
Of course, I'm used to NY or Ma chinese food. But if you don't know any better, it's not that bad.
Lakesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakesailor For This Useful Post:
Cindido (10-12-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 06:48 AM   #8
smith point boater

Default Jp

Mary and her family/team at JP China are great. If you are (were) such a patron of JPs as you claim it is really very shallow to post such a scathing review based on a singular visit (yes your cousin too). While not knowing details staffing problems have been well known here (and at almost every other Lakes Region restaurant)for the summer/fall. Mary works as hard as anyone at maintaining her business and improving it time and time again since she has owned it. I too go there frequently with large and small family parties. We have NEVER been mistreated or ignored or not listened to. The long term staff is friendly, accommodating and has always treated us and our guests like family. I'm sure Mary is holding new staff members to that standard as well and they will soon be "veterans".

Mary/JP - Keep doing what you do and we'll keep supporting you
smith point boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:12 AM   #9
Billy Bob

Default Real reviews

Take a look at the yelp reviews.
Other then a few locals that seem to support anything local the reviews are scathing. All these people can’t be wrong
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billy Bob For This Useful Post:
Cindido (10-12-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 01:53 PM   #10
Lakesailor

Not sure what 'cousin' you are referring to. It was once for take out. Staffing problems did not apply. Not really interested in all she does for the community. I was just loking for a decent meal and didn't get one. Should I give the restaurant an average review and start guessing why the food was not up to par? Should I waste my time and money a few more times there? I gave an honest review and now I'm done there. Someone mentioned the Yelp review. Evidently I am not alone.
Lakesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:48 PM   #11
eyenotall777

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith point boater View Post
Mary and her family/team at JP China are great. If you are (were) such a patron of JPs as you claim it is really very shallow to post such a scathing review based on a singular visit (yes your cousin too). While not knowing details staffing problems have been well known here (and at almost every other Lakes Region restaurant)for the summer/fall. Mary works as hard as anyone at maintaining her business and improving it time and time again since she has owned it. I too go there frequently with large and small family parties. We have NEVER been mistreated or ignored or not listened to. The long term staff is friendly, accommodating and has always treated us and our guests like family. I'm sure Mary is holding new staff members to that standard as well and they will soon be "veterans".

Mary/JP - Keep doing what you do and we'll keep supporting you
Smith Point Boater - You obviously did not take the time to read clearly and only want to say how much Mary does for the Community, that is not what this is about!! I would not call it a scathing review!!! My family as well extended family as with our friends have been frequenting JP for over 20 years 4-5x a month.

As I stated I was not looking for anything from Mary, other to state the FACTS. At no point did I give her an attitude, I let her know very friendly on the way out the door, I was the one that got the attitude. My family and friends are foodies, we rely on JP to enjoy and not to have to cook and has been the most reliable Chinese Cuisine in the area for over 2 decades, but when frequent Patrons are noticing a difference on SPECIALITY DISHES over the last few months on more than one visit, it should be made aware that we the PATRONS ARE NOTICING and will no longer Patron the establishment due to this. It was not on just one visit. I would have expected from Mary the reply: thank you for letting me know and we are working on this, not "your the first one I've heard this from".."that's what happens when you have a 68 yr old cook" and could seem care less (walked away into kitchen) Fact is, I'm the first one is not true, she has been made aware and like I stated I did not believe it either until I tried myself, again, I was not looking for anything and not a reply like that.

Also as I stated the place looks great and she has put so much work into it and that we wish much success, but we will not return until food gets back to where it once was, simple fact!! I was also wondering if anyone else seem to experience the same lately with the food (specifically Specialty dishes, not apps) over the last few months.

To each their own and we do wish Mary and her Team the Best!!

***UPDATE***

I am now hearing that there may be some hurdles that are being experienced the last few months and that seems to explain our experiences. That can go with any business of course. Also, I was not having a bad day, I believe it was just more disappointment due to the consistency we have been use to for several years even when Mary took over and tried to address that at the time politely and quietly. I really wish this was made known at the time between us. I had no idea why Mary just turned and went into the Kitchen, but I think I can now understand why based up comments elsewhere. The Masshole comment in my 1st post was actually to be a little humor, but did not come across that way it appears and poor taste. You have put a lot of work and effort as well as dedication into JP and it shows!! We have all let that be known in one way or another. Knowing the hurdles now, we will give it some time as I hope anyone else who may have experienced the same regarding Specialty Dishes because that is what we have always admired at JP!! Thank you

Last edited by eyenotall777; 10-11-2018 at 07:09 PM.
eyenotall777 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eyenotall777 For This Useful Post:
djwade4 (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 11:37 AM   #12
djwade4

I’ve known Mary for years and she serves up a awesome meal. She is dedicated to her business. I highly recommend JP China
5 STARS. Doug

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
djwade4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:17 PM   #13
Pursuit34

I went last night late and found the food to be far above average American Chinese. Quality ingredients, light sauces, well-presented. Good stuff in a space that you wouldn't expect it-it's Alton NH and the food was as good as any I've had in large cities. Seems to me that there are ppl on this forum who post just to be a pain. Not very nice. My daughter says they are trolls...
Pursuit34 is offline   Reply With Quote