Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2014, 06:58 PM   #1
RidgeRunner31

Default Island Living Questions

Hello everyone ... I have been reading these forums for a few months and finally decided to join. I noticed people are very helpful and post a lot of good information.

My wife and I have rented a home (mainland) on Winnipesaukee every summer since 2006. We like it so much that we are toying with the idea of purchasing our own place.

I feel the only realistic waterfront/water access properties we can afford would be an island property or a home in an association with a shared beach and deeded boat slip. I’m leaning towards an island property, because we are adventurous, own a boat and it seems like the best bang for the buck for a vacation home. I’m aware that island living presents challenges such as trash removal, lugging stuff, and it’s seasonal, but I do like the allure of getting away from it all.

One of my wife’s biggest concerns with island property is the distance to the mainland, because when friends and family come to visit we will have to ferry them back and forth. I was wondering which islands have the easiest access to the mainland? What islands have parking on the mainland? I guess in a nutshell, which islands make things logistically the easiest? I’m guessing Bear Island (a stones throw to Shep Brown’s) and Rattlesnake Island (association lot) would be high on the list.

I would be grateful to hear any experiences about island living. Does anyone have any regrets about purchasing an island property or was it one of the best decisions you made?

Also, what are some common expenses that come along with owning an island property that people typically don’t think of?

Finally, I know it’s a big island, but I noticed there are quite a few homes for sale on Rattlesnake. I was wondering if are any Rattlesnake owners that could help me out if I have any questions about the island. I figure it’s easy to get the info from owners before talking to an agent.

Any other helpful information would definitely be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Mike
RidgeRunner31 is offline   Reply With Quote