Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-14-2014, 12:15 PM   #1
alisphunt

Default Flying and Floating Lanterns

Hi everyone....
My family and are visiting in a couple weeks (yay!!) and we wanted to commemorate (sp?) a couple of events. We were thinking of sending up those Chinese paper lanterns that you light and they fly or doing some floating lit lanterns. Of course we are looking at biodegradable.

Was wondering if there is any ordinance against these or if they are safe to use?

Thanks everyone in advance for your thoughts
alisphunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:46 PM   #2
RLW

Smile

I'm not sure about ordinances, but I would be very concern about anything to do with fire as they could catch shore lines and/or homes and woods on fire.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
Tank151

I agree with RLW, best not to light them at all!
Tank151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:02 PM   #4
Lin

I know that they have started forest fires out west and I believe some countries in Asia have had huge housing fires from them. From what I am reading they are banned in New Hampshire.

for Immediate Release
December 21, 2012 FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
State Fire Marshal J. William Degnan
NH State Fire Marshal’s Office
33 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03305
603-223-4289

Releasing of Sky Lanterns prohibited by NH State Fire Code

Concord, NH - NH State Fire Marshal J. William Degnan announced today that his office is releasing a technical bulletin prohibiting the release of sky lanterns in New Hampshire. These paper miniature hot air balloons also known as Kongming Lanterns or "wish lanterns" have grown in popularity. Due to the increase, Degnan's Office has seen more incidents where these devices have caused fires in the state.

Fire Marshal Degnan has determined that these devices are considered to be recreational fires according to the NH State Fire Code. "Recreational fires must be attended at all times," Degnan said. "Once you let go of the balloon, it is no longer attended." If the balloons are tethered in some fashion then they are permitted to be used.

One of the popular places to light these balloons is at the NH Motor Speedway during race week. Deputy State Fire Marshal Robert Farley who heads up the fire safety detail from the state at the speedway has seen hundreds of these balloons. "We have seen lots of these devices in the air and we find them all over the place with clear evidence that they were burning when they landed," Farley remarked. "We have evidence that these things have actually started fires on private property around the track." Farley also said that they create a littering nuisance and a potential hazard to animals and small children because of the wire frames.

Unless tethered, releasing sky lanterns is considered a violation of the NH State Fire Code

There is also this site for more information on them.

http://balloonsblow.org/flaming-litter
RLW (07-14-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 09:38 PM   #5
Misha888

Default As thoughtful as it may seem . . .

for your loved ones. It is not very thoughtful for the litter it creates, the possible fire hazard it can create for residents homes and the disregard for the wildlife in our area. Biodegradable is nice, but unfortunately it doesn't disintegrate by the time an animal can consume it. Food for thought.

Candles floated on tethered wood, could give you the same effect without the potential harm to anything living or an inanimate object.

_/<3\_

p.s. Enjoy your time here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisphunt View Post
Hi everyone....
My family and are visiting in a couple weeks (yay!!) and we wanted to commemorate (sp?) a couple of events. We were thinking of sending up those Chinese paper lanterns that you light and they fly or doing some floating lit lanterns. Of course we are looking at biodegradable.

Was wondering if there is any ordinance against these or if they are safe to use?

Thanks everyone in advance for your thoughts
Old 07-15-2014, 05:59 AM   #6
alisphunt

Default I'm glad I checked...

Thanks for the information everyone! I am very glad I checked here before I bought and brought them. I was leaning more toward the floating ones because of the fire hazard and thought they would at least have a better chance of being doused and not catching anything a blaze. It seems even those may not be as safe though. Also I hadn't realized the danger to animals as stated above. That was a good reminder and I would have felt terrible to have harmed any.

Again my thanks for your help and advice
alisphunt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alisphunt For This Useful Post:
windsail (07-15-2014)