Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
Resident 2B

Exclamation Thursday, Jan 17 to Monday, Jan 21, 2008 Ice (??), then Cold

Looking out the next week, I am getting concerned that we could have a significant ice storm this coming Thursday night into Friday. This will be followed by the coldest air mass of the year.

It looks like there will be a storm coming from the Gulf of Mexico, up the coast to the Carolinas. From there, it is starting to look like the storm will have a more northerly vector and go a bit to our west, maybe even right over us. With colder air trapped in the valleys and a warmer flow from the ocean above, we could see an ice storm with this. If we do, it might be a serious ice storm. This is not yet a high confidence forecast, but something that has a 50/50 chance of happening.

My big concern is with the air mass that will follow the storm, no matter what the track. We will be near or below zero at night over the coming weekend and in the single digits during the day on Sunday and Monday. If we get an ice storm and if it causes power outages, the very cold air following the storm could create a very serious situation for those without power.

For now, this is something to pay close attention to, but it is still three days out and the track is still to be determined. It could be a snow storm. That would be good news.

R2B

Last edited by Resident 2B; 01-14-2008 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Added spaces in title for better reading
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:39 AM   #2
CanisLupusArctos

Default A week to be watching

Thank you for bringing this to the spotlight now that our present storm is done with. I won't elaborate on the Friday storm since you summed up my thoughts exactly.

One thing worth repeating from my posting in the previous storm thread is that if you or anyone you know has plans in the mountains or backcountry this coming weekend, you NEED to keep checking forecasts. Extreme cold is likely. My early guess is for the higher summits in the clouds with temps well below zero even during the day... and strong winds making wind chills even colder. As if cold and wind were not enough by themselves, a heavy snowfall and/or variety of frozen precipitation on Friday may create a high avalanche danger in the usual places. *Keep checking later forecasts*

On a lighter note, the football pundits on TV have already mentioned the fact that San Diego is not accustomed to the temperatures they'll likely have at Foxborough this weekend.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:12 AM   #3
Resident 2B

Default Not as Concerned about Ice

Looking things over this morning, it looks like a minor storm, less than Y1, for Friday. Any change over will be quick, so my ice concern has gone away. There is a very slight chance for a storm over Y1, but we need another day to see what happens.

It will get very cold for a few days starting Saturday night. The cold is good news since the open areas of the lake should skin up the next two nights with little wind around. Although the lifht snow will provide a blanket, the cold should biuld the new ice.

Be aware that any new ice will not be safe for at least a week, and with the snow cover, it will look very tempting to many. Please stay off the new ice until it thickens!

R2B
Old 01-16-2008, 11:52 AM   #4
Island Girl

Default Brrrrrrrrrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanisLupusArctos View Post
On a lighter note, the football pundits on TV have already mentioned the fact that San Diego is not accustomed to the temperatures they'll likely have at Foxborough this weekend.
Then again... neither are the Patriot's... or me ... who will be at the game.. brrrrrrrrrrr. Any suggestions for keeping warm are welcome...

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:14 PM   #5
Weirs guy

No worries IG, the Pats record in cold conditions is pretty good. I'd bring some of those handy dandy hand warmer packs and lots of layers!

Now for our weather experts I have a question. R2B, you had mentioned this storm will most likely stay to our west, does that still look true? The family and I are planning a rather lengthy trip to upstate Maine Friday and I'm hoping to pick all your expert minds over what time we should plan to get going.

Thanks in advance!

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2008, 12:55 PM   #6
bilproject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
Then again... neither are the Patriot's... or me ... who will be at the game.. brrrrrrrrrrr. Any suggestions for keeping warm are welcome...

IG
Dress as warm as you can stand and take a rolled up sleeping bag with you. I don't think you will have a problem getting past security as my wife did this for Army-Navy games. I think they made her unroll it at security. Once to your seat just stand into the sleeping bag, pull up, sit down and you will be toasty right down to your toes.
bilproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:42 PM   #7
Bear Islander

My wife took a mummy sleeping bag to that ice bowl Patriots game a few years ago. You can bring a sleeping bag, but it can't be in a bag. No bags allowed!

It kept her warm except her seat folded up every time she stood up to cheer and she had no way to get it back down without help from neighbors.

She will be in her bag at this Sunday's game. I will be watching by a warm fire.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:52 PM   #8
SIKSUKR

Aw come on BI,Sundays weather will be like Florida for you compared to where you've been!I for one love NE winters and all that comes with it except the crazy warm-ups and major melt downs.I'll be on top of a very frozen Cannon Mt on Sunday but will get home just in time for kickoff.Enjoy the game everyone.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:41 PM   #9
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirs guy View Post
No worries IG, the Pats record in cold conditions is pretty good. I'd bring some of those handy dandy hand warmer packs and lots of layers!

R2B, you had mentioned this storm will most likely stay to our west, does that still look true?

Thanks in advance!
WG,

The storm will go to the east of the lakes region. It will likely cross Cape Cod or southeastern Mass. It is east of where I thought it would go two days ago.

I should have mentioned that.

R2B