Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
CanisLupusArctos
Senior Member
 
CanisLupusArctos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Center Harbor
Posts: 1,033
Thanks: 12
Thanked 420 Times in 96 Posts
Default More Snow, Dec. 20

Today Black Cat Weather recorded 10.0 inches of new snow. At 9 p.m. it's just spitting snowflakes here and there, and the moon is shining through the clouds.

There is a remarkable snowpack for mid-December. 18 inches is about the average. The snow total for the month so far is 23.6 inches and we've only been above freezing twice (36 both times) so most of that snow is still around. The reason the pack isn't higher is because of compaction - the snow's weight upon itself - and evaporation during the day.

Today's snow melted down to 0.37" of rain equivalent.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:50 PM   #2
jrc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hollis/Gilford
Posts: 2,688
Thanks: 33
Thanked 437 Times in 247 Posts
Default

All I know is that it hasn't stopped snowing since you "weather people" got your forum.

Don't try to convince me that it's just a coincidence.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:15 AM   #3
CanisLupusArctos
Senior Member
 
CanisLupusArctos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Center Harbor
Posts: 1,033
Thanks: 12
Thanked 420 Times in 96 Posts
Default

Jrc, you know too much. Keep it quiet... ssshhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Btw, just when we thought it was safe to put the snow shovel back in the garage... it kept snowing this evening, even with the moon appearing from behind the clouds.

Nearly another half inch brings this latest storm total to 10.4 inches... our second biggest dumping of the season/month so far, after the Dec. 3 storm. And to think this wasn't even a well-hyped Nor'Easter or anything like that, just a measly little inverted trough extending from a system well offshore. Welcome to New England.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 06:31 AM   #4
Blue Thunder
Senior Member
 
Blue Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Eastern MA & Frye Island/Sebago Lake, Maine
Posts: 814
Thanks: 195
Thanked 233 Times in 107 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanisLupusArctos View Post
Jrc, you know too much. Keep it quiet... ssshhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Btw, just when we thought it was safe to put the snow shovel back in the garage... it kept snowing this evening, even with the moon appearing from behind the clouds.

Nearly another half inch brings this latest storm total to 10.4 inches... our second biggest dumping of the season/month so far, after the Dec. 3 storm. And to think this wasn't even a well-hyped Nor'Easter or anything like that, just a measly little inverted trough extending from a system well offshore. Welcome to New England.
CLA,
Isn't the phenomenon of the Norlun Trough fascinating? Walt Drag of the Boston NWS office was the only one to pull the trigger on the extent of what it would do and the significant accumulations and he did it Wed afternoon. Here is what he posted Wed late afternoon:
.
NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM THURSDAY MORNING/...
-- Changed Discussion --AS YOU ARE PROBABLY AWARE...MODEL TEMPERATURES IN THE BOUNDARY LAYER ARE
SLIGHTLY TOO WARM THIS EVENING. THAT MEANS TROUBLE FOR THIS FCST ISSUANCE...THINK
MORE SNOW AND COLDER.


WE`VE PARTIALLY RECOGNIZED THIS PROBLEM IN MIDDAY UPDATES... BUT IF THE
18Z MODEL RUNS ARE CORRECT...WE`RE GOING TO END UP WITH SUBSTANTIALLY
MORE SNOW BOSTON ALONG THE COAST TO NEWBURYPORT THAN ISSUED AT 4 PM.

BE ALERT FOR A POSSIBLE UPGRADE ON 4AM THURSDAY FCST TO A WARNING 8
INCH SNOWFALL IN PARTS OF ESSEX COUNTY MASS AND EASTERN HILLSBOROUGH
COUNTY NH. WE ARE NOT OFFICIAL ON THIS YET SINCE INTERIM NCEP MODEL
RUNS ARE THE ONLY BIG CHANGE ON QPF AND WE WANT 00Z RUNS TO FALL IN
LINE WITH THIS.

RIGHT NOW WE STAY WITH ADVISORIES AS POSTED BUT THE BATCH OF SNOW COMING
INTO SW CT AT 530 PM IS GOING TO GO STATIONARY TOMORROW MORNING IN NE MASS
AND S CENTRAL NH AND WITH LARGE DENDRITIC GROWTH I CAN SEE ANOTHER 6+
SNOW EVENT.


Blue Thunder
__________________
" Live for today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come"
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 07:13 AM   #5
gtxrider
Senior Member
 
gtxrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Piscataway, NJ
Posts: 1,030
Thanks: 2
Thanked 46 Times in 24 Posts
Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanisLupusArctos View Post
Today Black Cat Weather recorded 10.0 inches of new snow. At 9 p.m. it's just spitting snowflakes here and there, and the moon is shining through the clouds.

There is a remarkable snowpack for mid-December. 18 inches is about the average. The snow total for the month so far is 23.6 inches and we've only been above freezing twice (36 both times) so most of that snow is still around. The reason the pack isn't higher is because of compaction - the snow's weight upon itself - and evaporation during the day.

Today's snow melted down to 0.37" of rain equivalent.
All the snow must be from Global Warming or perhaps FLL and his noisy snow blower.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2007, 08:41 AM   #6
SteveA
Deceased Member
 
SteveA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gilford, NH
Posts: 2,311
Thanks: 1,070
Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Yuki has something to say...

" If the hummingbirds are smart enough to head south.. so am I "

"Y1... Y2... what I should wait for Y3?", "Not Likely ! "
Attached Images
 
__________________
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry he'll be a mile away and barefoot!" unknown
SteveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:36 AM   #7
KBoater
Senior Member
 
KBoater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wolfeboro
Posts: 521
Thanks: 10
Thanked 29 Times in 15 Posts
Default Heading North

All right CLA so what can I expect tomorrrow afternoon.

Dancers please STOP for 48 hours.
__________________
Home Permanently in NH
KBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:05 AM   #8
Chickie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 351
Thanks: 0
Thanked 46 Times in 33 Posts
Default Personal Message to Yuki

Has Charlie headed south as well, or has he been left behind to do the heavy lifting of measuring the snow depths? Just curious.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:09 PM   #9
SIKSUKR
Senior Member
 
SIKSUKR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,052
Thanks: 215
Thanked 892 Times in 504 Posts
Default

Wow Blue Thunder,extra points for knowing about a Norlun trough.We had one 2 years ago with pretty much the same results.
__________________
SIKSUKR
SIKSUKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:54 PM   #10
CanisLupusArctos
Senior Member
 
CanisLupusArctos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Center Harbor
Posts: 1,033
Thanks: 12
Thanked 420 Times in 96 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
CLA,
Isn't the phenomenon of the Norlun Trough fascinating? Walt Drag of the Boston NWS office was the only one to pull the trigger on the extent of what it would do and the significant accumulations and he did it Wed afternoon. Here is what he posted Wed late afternoon:
Blue Thunder
Walt Drag is one of my favorite forecasters for that reason. He's one of those people whose words sometimes make his boss's hair prematurely gray, and when he's right he's totally right. In one of my journalism classes in 2003 we had to do an in-depth story and I chose Boston weather forecasting. Drag is prominently featured in that article. I posted it on my web site. Here's a link:

http://www.thesilentforest.com/journ...tonweather.htm
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:27 PM   #11
Blue Thunder
Senior Member
 
Blue Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Eastern MA & Frye Island/Sebago Lake, Maine
Posts: 814
Thanks: 195
Thanked 233 Times in 107 Posts
Default

Great article CLA, Thanks for sharing.

BT
__________________
" Live for today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come"
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:39 PM   #12
CanisLupusArctos
Senior Member
 
CanisLupusArctos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Center Harbor
Posts: 1,033
Thanks: 12
Thanked 420 Times in 96 Posts
Default Photos posted

Thank you Blue Thunder. Today I updated the weather photo gallery on the Winnipesaukee WeatherCenter site with images of our most recent wintry weather. You'll also find one of the most incredible sunrises we've had in a while (a couple days ago) and "the penguin mallards" as I call them. When you go to the site, the photo gallery link is at the top of the menu.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.57269 seconds