Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > General Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
lawn psycho

Default Laconia only nets $57k from Bike Week??

Many papers are indicating that the net profit for the 9 official days of bike week was $57k. First, I find it amazing that some journalists use adjectives such as 'lucrative'. A shame they can't figure out how much or little the profit is in relation to the tax bill of the city before assuming that it must be good.

With some brief searching, the last tax revenue line item for Laconia is in the $33.5M range.

So if I do the math then the total bike week profit for Laconia is a paltry
0.15% of the tax revenues. If you live in Laconia and get displaced from Bike Week you may want to think about this. The business owners will scream but it's not the great winning proposition people believe it too be.

Here's one of many articles with same numbers being thrown around.
http://www.citizen.com/news/laconia_...a4bcf6878.html

I still believe the numbers claimed for Bike Week as far as total revenues for the State as a whole are exaggerated/overstated. In my opinion the businesses should ban together turn the Weirs area into a legitimate resort area. Reinvent the clientele attracted to the lakes region!

More access and public beaches to the lake. Look at Alton's beach. 10 ft away from cars zipping by behind a guardrail. What a joke.

The lake should have several areas like Ellacoya IMO. The majority of town beaches suck IMO as they are near roads and really are just after thoughts.

Business owners, if you want to make money try and target the Europeans and those from the UK as weak dollar gives them a lot of choices. Lake Winni is far from a destination that someone would visit as part of international vacation.