Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > General Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
vmartino26

Default Groton Wind Farm

I don't know if this is on point as it isn't directly a "Lakes Region" issue but I'll give it a try. I am totally opposed to the Northern Pass project which continues to move sideways as an issue for now, but if you happen to be in the Plymouth area on Tenney Mountain Highway and look just beyond Tenney Mountain over to the town of Groton, what you'll see on the horizon may surprise you as it did me and my wife. A 24 wind turbine farm is being constructed in the town of Groton. I believe 12 of the turbines are now up. The project is scheduled to be completed in the January 2013 time frame.

My unerstanding is that the power generated from the wind turbines will be dumped into the new england power grid, and the town of groton will receive significant tax money.

It's a stunning site as it changes forever the view of Tenney Mountain. I guess residents of the area were opposed to the farm going forward, but the NH court system threw their case out.

Just wondering if anyone has seen the turbines on the horizone and what your thoughts are. Is this the future?
Old 08-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Wind Farm

To top things off, the wind farm is foreign owned and the power is actually going to the southern states. While everyone is focusing on the Northern Pass, this issue snuck through. Now that it is taking notice everyone in the region is p.o.

What other projects came through under the Northern Pass smoke screen?
Old 08-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
HellRaZoR004

I actually like the looks of these...think they are a great feat of engineering.
The Following User Says Thank You to HellRaZoR004 For This Useful Post:
lawn psycho (08-30-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
fatlazyless

Looks like the 24 turbines are up on a ridge just to the west of the Plymouth Wal-Mart, just beyond the closed Tenney Mt ski area, and close to the Rumney Rocks rock climbing area in the White Mountain National Forest.

Wonder if the turbines can be seen from the Wal-Mart parking lot? COuld be very scenic what with the sun setting behind the turbines as seen from Wal-Mart?

Anyone seen the big, new, huge wood utility poles running along Tenney Mountain Highway, and Highland Ave in Plymouth recently installed to carry the electro-magnetic energy from the turbines to the power line close to Route 93?
Old 08-07-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
JDeere

Default eye sore

Funny, I just noticed them yesterday. What an eyesore.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2012, 06:47 AM   #6
IslandRadio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeere View Post
Funny, I just noticed them yesterday. What an eyesore.
Same here - just noticed them yesterday (Monday). Never saw them before. Maybe it is because the air was unusually clear, and it was a very nice sunset.

Quite visible from the West side of the Rattlesnake Island Peninsula.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
patman

I don't know why, but...cell towers bother me...windmills don't. There are a bunch of windmills that have gone up in the Bethel/Rangely ME area, and they looked good to me...
The Following User Says Thank You to patman For This Useful Post:
lawn psycho (08-30-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
fatlazyless

www.town-of-groton.com/grotonwind/Groton...

Paying for half the town's yearly budget probably goes a long way to enhance the view of the wind turbines as viewed from the town!
Old 08-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
Happy Gourmand

Windmills or oil rigs......make mine windmills, please.
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
kauriel (08-27-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
magicrobotmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
I actually like the looks of these...think they are a great feat of engineering.
I agree, I don't know why everyone complains about them. If I had to choose between a ridge covered in wind turbines or a big smokestack, that's not much of a choice...
Old 08-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #11
NoBozo

Windturbines are great when they work. The BIG ones are very difficult to maintain because they are way up there on a tower. We have a Three Year Old ($3M) town owned 1.5 MW turbine. The nacelle is 188 feet above ground. Two months ago the gear box failed.

To fix it, the rotor disc has to be taken down, then the nacelle. The crane cost is about $10,000 a day+ set up costs, because it's a special crane for big heights and weights. The quickest way to fix it is to replace the large gearbox (30,000 pounds) with the nacelle on the ground. The gear box is rumored to cost +/- $450,000.

The Canadian company that built it went bankrupt two years ago..the 10 year warranty went "PooF". The town has no Spare Change so the turbine sits there doing nothing. It WAS a sight to see when it was running.

There is No Free Lunch NB
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
bclaker (08-08-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #12
IslandRadio

Default From our place on Rattlesnake

They are quite visible from Rattlesnake Island. Here's what things looked like this (Tuesday) evening in the sunset.

The first picture is a normal view. The 2nd is zoomed in.

Beautiful sunset with Diamond Island in the foreground.
Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IslandRadio For This Useful Post:
bclaker (08-08-2012), BroadHopper (09-04-2012), fatlazyless (08-08-2012), Lakewinn1 (08-10-2012), Rattlesnake Gal (08-08-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #13
barefootbay

Windmills raze hell with the bird population which is all ready in severe decline .
Old 08-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #14
Hermit Cover

Default Energy

With gasoline prices so high....we need to " drill Baby drill"...anywhere, everywhere, ....then sell to the highest bidder...great profits for the oil companies and gas prices will go down....Won't they?? Get that oil pipeline finished...will produce zillions of new jobs. Or we can just put up some more of those great big windmills...
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermit Cover For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (08-08-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #15
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootbay View Post
Windmills raze hell with the bird population which is all ready in severe decline .
Really? Where's all the frigging Canadian Geese coming from?
brk-lnt (08-10-2012), lawn psycho (08-30-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 03:20 AM   #16
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Really? Where's all the frigging Canadian Geese coming from?
Actually, the wind farm is owned by the Canadians, and they are running them like giant fans, sucking the geese from Canada and blowing them our way

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wifi For This Useful Post:
CateP (08-13-2012), flyguy (08-30-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 05:53 AM   #17
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootbay View Post
I am no expert, but around here in southern NH, the bird population seems to be thriving/exploding/diversifying. I'm seeing huge numbers of a huge variety of birds lately.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:19 AM   #18
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Saco, Maine put up a windmill maybe three years ago and it didn't do what it was supposed to do so now it is for sale.

Is THAT where the geese are coming from, Wifi?????
Old 08-08-2012, 06:48 AM   #19
fatlazyless

From the photos above, it seems like the wind turbines are so far away and so relatively small that they can hardly be seen except through a long distance lens, and besides that, they turn a totally undeveloped, wooded mountain ridgeline high up in Groton, NH, into a wind farm that makes electro-magnetic energy that goes straight into the national grid system. What's not to need about that?

Wind turbines seem to work just like a sailboat as both put the wind to work.

Locals used to laugh and say something like " ..... Groton......what's in Groton ......there ain't nuth'n in old Groton because everything is rotten in Groton ........."

That Groton wind farm is a pretty good, amazing energy engine if you ask me, and I hope it works out good!
Old 08-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #20
kchadw

I have seen these turbines and I really have mixed thoughts about them...If they work, and continue to work ...then I guess, it will be ok for many...

I spend time each year back home in N.H. and this year the max so far at five months...in the Lincoln area....What really upsets me is, each year I come north and I see more and more cell phone towers on tops of mtns...A beautiful picturesque view, ruined by cell phone towers...Are they really necessary...People seemed to be adjusting to the lack of service when they weren't there...
I travel through Franconia several times per week..NO, AT&T service in that area...soooo, if I really need to use the cell phone, I wait a few miles ...and of course, I always get calls while in the dead area...so it goes into my list to call back later....I adjust....! Why couldn't these towers be built in the area of the present power lines...or on the edge...the view is already blighted there...All I can figure is, there must be money involved...follow the money trail...as the saying goes...
They can always use fake tree branches on them to make them look like fake hugh trees...that's what they do in sunny Fla....What a rediculous sight that is...
Old 08-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #21
jrc

Leaving aesthetics aside, the scary thing about wind farms is economics. It's impossible to tell if they are viable as a long term econonic investment. Today's politics and goverment cloud the real math with magic money, rainbows and unicorns.

Why does the math matter? Because if they don't make enough money to cover their ongoing maintenance, eventually we will all be left looking at broken dangerous hulks owned by long bankrupt investors.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #22
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchadw View Post
They can always use fake tree branches on them to make them look like fake hugh trees...that's what they do in sunny Fla....What a rediculous sight that is...
THere is one like this in Louden on Route 106, I almost did not see it, they did a decent job of hiding it but could have been better, it was right on the eds of a tree line - a cell tower that is

Last edited by AC2717; 08-08-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #23
Lucy Goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchadw View Post
I have seen these turbines and I really have mixed thoughts about them...If they work, and continue to work ...then I guess, it will be ok for many...

I spend time each year back home in N.H. and this year the max so far at five months...in the Lincoln area....What really upsets me is, each year I come north and I see more and more cell phone towers on tops of mtns...A beautiful picturesque view, ruined by cell phone towers...Are they really necessary...People seemed to be adjusting to the lack of service when they weren't there...
I travel through Franconia several times per week..NO, AT&T service in that area...soooo, if I really need to use the cell phone, I wait a few miles ...and of course, I always get calls while in the dead area...so it goes into my list to call back later....I adjust....! Why couldn't these towers be built in the area of the present power lines...or on the edge...the view is already blighted there...All I can figure is, there must be money involved...follow the money trail...as the saying goes...
I couldn't agree more!
Old 08-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #24
Altonbayicefishingfool

I've never heard of a windmill causing a fire...hmmmm
Old 08-09-2012, 03:20 AM   #25
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altonbayicefishingfool View Post
I guess they happen...

Old 08-09-2012, 05:13 AM   #26
IslandRadio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altonbayicefishingfool View Post
There are a lot of YouTube videos showing various windmill failures and fires. When they do fail, the results are often spectacular. Many times the result of brake system failures - high wind puts the windmill out of control and eventually the whole thing blows apart.

Of course, conventional electrical systems fail all the time. Heck, there was just a fire on Sleepers Island earlier this year (or last year, I can't remember) caused by an electrical distribution system failing. I also had a similar problem at my own house about 5 years ago. Transformers explode, etc. It's just the way it is. Nothing is completely foolproof or failproof.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #27
NBR

Default Wind Mills

It will be years before we know the cost effectiveness of wind power and if it is not fiscally positive the companies will be bankrupt and we will have the eye sores standing for decades.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #28
NoBozo

Todays modern computer controlled wind turbines "Feather" their blades as wind speed increases, and fully feather at about 45 MPH of wind speed. When fully feathered the blades will not spin..only idle this way or that in the gusts. The computer keeps the fan disc/nacelle facing into the wind.

A typical 1.5 MW turbine will have a max rotation of 18-19 RPM. The gearbox will Step Up that RPM at a ratio of 1:100..or 1900 RPM at the generator. Smaller turbines spin faster and larger ones spin slower. A 2.0 MW turbine might spin at 14-15 RPM.

An important factor in RPM is limiting "Tip Speed" of the blades. A 1.5 MW turbine applys about 2000 HP to the generator at max load. NB
Old 08-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #29
Misty Blue

Default Good deal for the town?

I do not know what the fiscal situation is in Groten but I have a feeling that is is a bad deal for a tourist town.

I picture this...

A company builds some wind turbines on Red Hill. (If the land were available) The land is in the middle of nowhere and is cheap. Not much of a tax gain for the town.

After construction there are very few jobs generated (no pun intended) and I can see no spin off jobs generated in the town either.

The value of homes on Lake Kanasaka would have to drop. Most are there for the lake and the view. A drop in property values means more taxes for everyone in town.

I could be way off here but I can't see working in a place that depends on tourist trade.

BTW...I work for a company that is the largest producer of wind power in the world and as an engineer I have to admit that I think that they are kind of cool. Me bad.

Misty Blue
Old 08-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #30
NoBozo

We have a 675 Kw Vestas in town on the grounds of a private school. It was there years before our "Town Owned" turbine and still runs every day without any issues that anyone is aware of.

The Town elected to go for the low bid. We got a $4M turbine for $3M. BTW the siting of our Town turbine is excellent. It's on the highest hill on the island and can be seen for Miles through 360 degrees in ANY direction. Frank...? "How come that thang don't RUN"..? NB
Old 08-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #31
BroadHopper

Default Rattlesnake Mtn and Newfound Lake

I hear folks over at NewFound Lake can see the turbines and the town is asking why they weren't involved in the preliminary hearings.

I also hear you can see the turbines from Rattlesnake Mountain in Holderness. The folks there are upset too!

My guess is that there was p*** poor planning up front. If there were plans to spoil the horizon as far south as Winni and the Paul Bunyan poles on Tenney Mountain highway and it was not given, they should be stop before anything further developed.

What ever happen to the first wind farm on Crotched Mountain? I was told the feds and state bankrolled that project and it was eventually bankrupted. I was told the towers and equipment were vandalized and eventually taken down at the state expense. Concrete posts are the only thing left.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #32
fatlazyless

Driving north or south on Rt 93 just south of Exit 26 in Plymouth, as well as when you get off at Exit 26 and drive west onto Rt 25-Tenney Mountain Highway, you get a good look-see at about a dozen of the 200' high towers and the lengthy three-blade propellers attached to each tower as viewed from aproximately five to ten miles away.

I have always thought that NH has incredibly expensive monthly electric bills and supposedly none of the wind turbine electricity is being used in NH, with it all gong to down south somewhere. .......oh well.......
Old 08-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #33
NoBozo

Didn't want to bring this up. FLL made me do it. NH already EXPORTS Power. NB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_po..._New_Hampshire
Old 08-10-2012, 04:31 AM   #34
Belmont Resident

Default Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
Didn't want to bring this up. FLL made me do it. NH already EXPORTS Power. NB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_po..._New_Hampshire
NH generates 100% of it's own power, all while having some if not the highest electric rates in the nation.
So any attempt by power companies to bring wind or towers to our state is just a means to bring cheaper power to the southern states, it does nothing at all for NH. And all those tax savings eventually go away when they apply to the Federal Government for a tax abatement and usually get it.

This how screwed up N-star is, they sell electricity to their customers in Canada at say .10 per unit, if they get the power lines to go through NH they are promising to sell power to the US at .08 per unit. the Canadians are up in arms over this and against the northern Pass project as well.
The numbers are only used for example.

Oh and good ol boy Romney has a personal interest in the Northern pass project.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:54 AM   #35
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
... FLL made me do it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
...Oh and good ol boy Romney ....
Is this thread now becoming another political advertisement ?
Old 08-10-2012, 07:58 AM   #36
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Wind farms are an ugly scar on our beautiful mountains.A total waste of money,as was Obama's billions wasted on bankrupt solar power.
Natural gas is clean and plentiful.Wind and solar power never got a plane off the ground
Old 08-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #37
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Wind farms are an ugly scar on our beautiful mountains.A total waste of money,as was Obama's billions wasted on bankrupt solar power.
Natural gas is clean and plentiful.Wind and solar power never got a plane off the ground
Old 08-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #38
fatlazyless

To really really really understand and comprehend the need and use for electro-magnetic energy ......aka......"electricity" ...... you must go for one day, 24-hours, with absolutely no electricity in your home or business by turning off the power at your main panel.......just to experience the importance and use of electricity in your daily life. It will give you a very serious appreciation for electricity.

If the Groton wind farm proves out good, then maybe similar wind turbines could be built in the very nearby mountains in the White Mountain National Forest in some of the less visited spots like Mt Isolation or Mt Tecumseh. Mt Tecumseh already has many ski lift towers so why not build some wind turbine towers too?
Old 08-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #39
gokart-mozart

Default Wind Farm

Does shovelling up all the dead birds count as a green job?
Old 08-28-2012, 04:36 AM   #40
Belmont Resident

Default FLL you are missing the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
To really really really understand and comprehend the need and use for electro-magnetic energy ......aka......"electricity" ...... you must go for one day, 24-hours, with absolutely no electricity in your home or business by turning off the power at your main panel.......just to experience the importance and use of electricity in your daily life. It will give you a very serious appreciation for electricity.

If the Groton wind farm proves out good, then maybe similar wind turbines could be built in the very nearby mountains in the White Mountain National Forest in some of the less visited spots like Mt Isolation or Mt Tecumseh. Mt Tecumseh already has many ski lift towers so why not build some wind turbine towers too?
None of this electricity is benefiting NH. Let them build them in the states the electricity is going too not here. Let them build them on top of the hills of Mass or right off the coast so they can see them when they go to the beach.
Nobody wants them down there either and they are the ones all this supposedly cheap power is being brought to. The ones that will benefit the most are the biggest whiners, just look at the progress on the wind farm they wanted to put out in the ocean as an example.
That is the biggest issue most of us have, we do not benefit one bit.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #41
limin

Default Windmills are a farce

Windmills are a farce. They don’t supply consistent power. I own almost 100 acres in Groton. The natural beauty of the area was its attraction before the windmills started. Now, it's destroyed for our lifetime. My property abuts the Cockermouth State Forest, in which you can hike to Bald Knob and Mount Crosby and view the surrounding mountains and Newfound Lake. Now when you hike to the summit, you look at windmills on Fletcher and Tenney Ridge. Some of the windmills are located on land leased from Green Acres Land Company. Jane Difley, president of the Society For The Protection Of NH Forests worked on an easement funded through the state of NH and the Forest Society to secure 3.6 million dollars in federal funding to buy a conservation easement on land owned by Green Acres Woodlands, a private timberland owner. She took no stance on the issue of windmills when it was being fought, even though the Cockermouth State Forest is a Society property, which abuts the Green Acres land, and the windmills directly impact the Cockermouth view shed. William Wadsworth, who donated this beloved 1003 acres to the Forest Society, is rolling in his grave. She is fighting Northern Pass tooth and nail and lobbied to protect the view shed surrounding Mount Monadnock in Jaffrey. She has no problem with 24 - 398 foot wind turbines, but is fighting 130 to 185 foot electrical poles. The Newfound Audubon Center has a sanctuary located on the northern end of Newfound Lake in Hebron, within a short distance from these turbines. Propellers chop birds.

I attended the final state Site Plan Review Meeting for the project in Concord last spring. The review committee spent most of the meeting questioning their lawyer to cover their butts and quizzing if any repercussions could be thrown back at them for approving the project. The only condition the committee upheld was a bird mitigation study. Only one Selectmen from Groton attended and he showed up late.

Iberdrola Renewables LLC is a division of parent company Iberdrola, SA, Spain’s #1 energy group, which received several million dollars from our government to construct this wind farm. They prey on small towns, with simple-minded officials, with small budgets. Just ask the residents of Fairfield, NY where the same company built the wind farm known as Hardscrabble Wind Farm. Windmills are literally in resident's back yards and they experience shadow flicker through their windows and interference with electronic devices. Iberdrola refused to pay a cement company they hired in construction due to issues with product quality. In turn, the cement company placed liens on property owners in Fairfield leasing land to Iberdrola for the windmills. Now, their real estate is frozen and they can't sell it.

It's a win win for Iberdrola at the expense of quality of life for humans. Groton didn’t need the tax revenue. We have little infrastructure. The supposed 20,000 homes this will supply power to don't care where their power comes from. Wind power can't be stored, so it's unreliable. After the wind farm was approved by the state, Iberdrola brought up doubt if the power lines were adequate enough to handle the load. That is why the very large poles are now being installed on Tenney Mountain Highway, much to people’s surprise. Not only are they large and imposing, there are two for every old one. The company plays games and hid this fact during the approval process.

There is a history of windmills causing severe fires. The roads to maintain the windmills are accessed from the Plymouth side, not Groton, so the burden of fire danger falls on the town of Plymouth. The land is rugged in the surrounding area and the potential for a devastating forest fire exists. I am worried about my property because I am so close.

Probably the largest tragedy of all is the visibility of these eyesores from pristine Newfound Lake. And now, I’m reading they can be viewed from Rattlesnake Island. Don't think it can't happen in your backyard. Consider lobbying your town to adopt an ordinance against windmills.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to limin For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-08-2012), fatlazyless (08-08-2012), JDeere (08-27-2012), Jonas Pilot (08-08-2012), Rattlesnake Gal (08-09-2012), Sue Doe-Nym (08-09-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 07:34 AM   #42
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by limin View Post
Windmills are a farce. They don’t supply consistent power. I own almost 100 acres in Groton. The natural beauty of the area was its attraction before the windmills started. Now, it's destroyed for our lifetime. My property abuts the Cockermouth State Forest, in which you can hike to Bald Knob and Mount Crosby and view the surrounding mountains and Newfound Lake. Now when you hike to the summit, you look at windmills on Fletcher and Tenney Ridge. Some of the windmills are located on land leased from Green Acres Land Company. Jane Difley, president of the Society For The Protection Of NH Forests worked on an easement funded through the state of NH and the Forest Society to secure 3.6 million dollars in federal funding to buy a conservation easement on land owned by Green Acres Woodlands, a private timberland owner. She took no stance on the issue of windmills when it was being fought, even though the Cockermouth State Forest is a Society property, which abuts the Green Acres land, and the windmills directly impact the Cockermouth view shed. William Wadsworth, who donated this beloved 1003 acres to the Forest Society, is rolling in his grave. She is fighting Northern Pass tooth and nail and lobbied to protect the view shed surrounding Mount Monadnock in Jaffrey. She has no problem with 24 - 398 foot wind turbines, but is fighting 130 to 185 foot electrical poles. The Newfound Audubon Center has a sanctuary located on the northern end of Newfound Lake in Hebron, within a short distance from these turbines. Propellers chop birds.

I attended the final state Site Plan Review Meeting for the project in Concord last spring. The review committee spent most of the meeting questioning their lawyer to cover their butts and quizzing if any repercussions could be thrown back at them for approving the project. The only condition the committee upheld was a bird mitigation study. Only one Selectmen from Groton attended and he showed up late.

Iberdrola Renewables LLC is a division of parent company Iberdrola, SA, Spain’s #1 energy group, which received several million dollars from our government to construct this wind farm. They prey on small towns, with simple-minded officials, with small budgets. Just ask the residents of Fairfield, NY where the same company built the wind farm known as Hardscrabble Wind Farm. Windmills are literally in resident's back yards and they experience shadow flicker through their windows and interference with electronic devices. Iberdrola refused to pay a cement company they hired in construction due to issues with product quality. In turn, the cement company placed liens on property owners in Fairfield leasing land to Iberdrola for the windmills. Now, their real estate is frozen and they can't sell it.

It's a win win for Iberdrola at the expense of quality of life for humans. Groton didn’t need the tax revenue. We have little infrastructure. The supposed 20,000 homes this will supply power to don't care where their power comes from. Wind power can't be stored, so it's unreliable. After the wind farm was approved by the state, Iberdrola brought up doubt if the power lines were adequate enough to handle the load. That is why the very large poles are now being installed on Tenney Mountain Highway, much to people’s surprise. Not only are they large and imposing, there are two for every old one. The company plays games and hid this fact during the approval process.

There is a history of windmills causing severe fires. The roads to maintain the windmills are accessed from the Plymouth side, not Groton, so the burden of fire danger falls on the town of Plymouth. The land is rugged in the surrounding area and the potential for a devastating forest fire exists. I am worried about my property because I am so close.

Probably the largest tragedy of all is the visibility of these eyesores from pristine Newfound Lake. And now, I’m reading they can be viewed from Rattlesnake Island. Don't think it can't happen in your backyard. Consider lobbying your town to adopt an ordinance against windmills.

All this typing you put in an can be debunked with one example. The Netherlands. And to think people actually go their to SEE the windmills and buyt trinkets of windmills as momentos of visiting Holland

As someone who travels around the world and gets to see very large windmills in operation, they do work. A lot of red herring misinformation is flying up and down these posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to lawn psycho For This Useful Post:
Seaplane Pilot (08-31-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 06:13 AM   #43
Belmont Resident

Default Bottom line

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post
All this typing you put in an can be debunked with one example. The Netherlands. And to think people actually go their to SEE the windmills and buyt trinkets of windmills as momentos of visiting Holland

As someone who travels around the world and gets to see very large windmills in operation, they do work. A lot of red herring misinformation is flying up and down these posts.
Weather they work or not LP the fact remains the NH produces 100% of it's own power.
None of the power produced from these plans, windmill or Northern Pass is going to benefit NH. Yes there may be some jobs created but very few will be employee's from NH communities.
I firmly believe that if the power is going to benefit another state then we should not have to endure the scare on our landscape. Furthermore there is absolutely no reason to build towers spanning the Canadian border to Mass when there is an option to bury any power lines. This would eliminate most if not all opposition to the the Northern Pass project. As for windmills I think enough study has been done to determine that they don't produce enough electricity to offset the cost at least in NE. From my understanding there isn't enough windy days to produce enough electricity to make them cost effective unless they are on the coast.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:32 AM   #44
songkrai

"TOKYO, Japan, September 14, 2012 (ENS) – The Japanese government has decided to phase out nuclear power by sometime in the 2030s and shift the country in the direction of renewables, energy conservation and natural gas.

There will be a 40-year limit on the lifespan of nuclear power plants, no new plant construction and no expansion of existing nuclear power facilities."

LINK

Some are just so short sighted here in New Hampshire.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #45
Winnisquamguy

Default Fox 25 News

Saw this on last nights news.....

Wind power is all the rage in Massachusetts, which has invested nearly $6 million in projects since 2010, and across the country, where President Obama touted its importance during the first presidential debate, but a review of wind power projects in the state reveals these projects are facing numerous problems from mechanical failures to lower-than-forecast energy savings.
New wind turbines are regularly sprouting up in Massachusetts, touted by Gov. Deval Patrick as proof that the heart of the clean energy revolution lies here. They are paid for partly through a surcharge on consumers' electric bills.
The clean energy revolution is sometimes not living up to its promise, as seen in the wind turbine at Forbes Park in Chelsea. It's been idle for almost three years, installed as part of a high-end green condominium development, which is also at a standstill.
"Absolutely it's frustrating to see it not moving. And we're hopeful that it will get spinning again soon," said Andy Brydges of the Massachusetts Clean Energy Center, which invests money collected from electric bill surcharges in clean energy projects around the state.
"Why isn't that turbine moving?" FOX Undercover reporter Mike Beaudet asked.
"The whole development isn't moving. It was a real estate development that was meant to be a green development," Brydges said.
The failed development comes with a public cost. The Chelsea project received $500,000 in 2007 from a state trust funded by the electric bill surcharges.
"Was that a waste of money?" Beaudet asked.
"I don't think so. I think if you look at all the money we've spent on wind, we're getting a very good dollar-per-kilowatt hour return on our investment. It's too bad, and hopefully that project will come around if the housing market rebounds, and it'll get restarted and prove to be a viable project in the long term. So it's an unfortunate, but we hope a temporary situation," Brydges said.

For the rest click on link.
http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/197...r-green-energy
Old 10-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #46
Boater

>>>>>>>>>>
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #47
BroadHopper

Default Crotched Mtn Wind Farm

Reminds me of the above. Lots of government money went into it as research and development. The project amount to nothing.

Why can't we have water turbines built into the sides of the bank of the Piscataqua river? As the tides flows in and out, the water will give a steady power to an attached generator. Out of sight, out of mind.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:30 AM   #48
fatlazyless

It looks like all 24 wind turbines are up, but with the curve of Fletcher ridge it's difficult to say if it is 23 or all 24. Driving down Rt 93 north or south, you can catch a very very quick view between the trees in the close proximity to Exit 26, Plymouth, looking up the Baker River valley. All the towers and 3-blade propellers, which supposedly are 300' high, are a reflective white color.

These two mountains that are home to the 24 turbines are just south of White Mountain National Forest and are seperated from it by the Baker River.

It seems like local people have varying different opinions on the new 24 wind turbines....but one thing is for sure......they are very, very easy to see from the very well used Rt 25-Tenney Mt Hgwy in Plymouth, plus the newly installed 100' wood utility poles and wires that run down Tenney Mt Hgwy are also very easy to see.

Wind power......catch the power from a windy mountain ridge high up in Groton, NH........owned by the largest electric utility co in Spain ... www.iberdrolarrenewables.us/groton.html .....sell the power to N-Star electric utility in Boston, MA. .....pay a large signifigant property tax to the small town of Groton, NH.

Question for this Sunday morning: So, who the heck benefits from these here 24 wind turbines that are each about 300' high and why?

The headquarters building for the local electric utlity, the New Hampshire Electric Coop, is located on Tenney Mt Hgwy in Plymouth, and the 24 turbines can easily be seen from that location, but how-o-how do those turbines do anything to benefit the NH Electric Coop users who sure pay some very high electric rates? This includes myself. Every time I drive past the Electric Coop, I think about that and try to figure how the turbines have anything to do with the local users of electricity??? So, what's the connection? Is there a connection between the two?

Maybe try googling: "Wind farm proves windfall for tiny town of Groton" Union Leader, August 2012 for an article and email comments.

From the Oct 1, 2012, Waterville Valley WigWag, authored by David Britton, an article titled : "Wind Farm: Something New On The Horizon".

If the WigWag is on the internet, I couldn't find it, but here's some of the info from the article.

"Each of the 24 turbines will net the Town of Groton $22,000/year and this increases by 2.5% annually."

"Iberdrola is moving to complete its $120 million, 48-megawatt project by the end of the year."

" Selectmen inked a 15-year-agreement with the Spanish wind energy giant Iberdrola which brings in $528,000 in the first year. The 2012 Groton town budget is $546,000: if all warrant approved warrant articles are included, it totals $742,000."

"Each of the 24 wind towers is, from foundation to tip of blade, about 300 feet high."

Here's a couple of comments.....

"I think the windmills are actually quite beautiful. There is a sleek elegance to them and they follow the ridgelines with an almost fluid quality. Now if Groton will only curb the urge to spend, spend, spend, their citizens might actually see real benefits from having the power company essentially pay all their taxes."

"While the windfall may benefit one small town, it is an eyesore as far away as Lake Winnipesaukee and Squam Lake region. A number of towns were never involved or notified about the situation. Is this the future? Big brother destroying the scenery? Maybe we can abilished the 'view' tax."

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-07-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #49
NoBozo

Default The Engineers Report

Our Town Owned 1.5 MW Turbine has been inactive since June 16 with a broken gearbox. The engineers report just came back yesterday. Lots of metal shavings in the oil. Gears and bearings chewed up.

The engineers are calling our turbine an orphan. It seems 3 out of the 5 of this turbine (AAER Canada..now defunct) installed in the U.S. has failed the gearbox at around 3 years. Ours is just over that. The warranty was for two years.

SO: AFTER we spend $800K to fix it, the report says.. AND... IF the new gearbox...same model as the last, lasts 10 years, with all routine expences and income considered....the turbine will run a deficit of ($400K) per year. We still owe $2.4M on the current loan.

I used to like this machine. Let the buyer beware. NB
Old 10-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #50
Rusty

IMHO this orphan windmill should be scrapped before Portsmouth, RI goes bankrupt.

Here is the breakdown for the gearbox replacement cost, recurring additional costs (annual), annual revenue estimate, and operating cost:

Old 10-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #51
NoBozo

RUSTY: I considered linking to the town website but knowing Don's aversion to OFF Lakes Region stuff I didn't link.

Here's what I posted on our local "Portsmouth Patch". Google "Patch".

"I just read the entire report as well. I Voted against the turbine. When I watched it being built I became a BIG supporter. Looking at the Balance Sheet in this report, one can only conclude THIS turbine is an albatross. This report makes the decision easy. I am really saddened to say this, but I think it's time to take the machinery down and put the remaining tower to some other use.

BTW: Fairhaven, MA just put up Two turbines just like ours this past spring."

NB
Old 10-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #52
Rusty

NoBozo,

I think it's educational for the Lakes Region folks to know what problems other communities are having with windmills.
The more we learn about it, the more it will help us make a decision if a Lakes Region town wants to put up one similar to the RI one.

I hope Don allows you/us to keep the forum up to date with the Portsmouth, RI turbine problem.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:05 PM   #53
BroadHopper

Default You don't even need RI info

Google prior wind farms project in NH. All are failure and millions of dollars are lost. If I find the feds bankrolled this wind farm and the farm eventually failed, I would make sure there will be no more money pits in our hills.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #54
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Wind is a great idea, solar is a great idea, as are other forms of newer energy. However, they are not perfected and if and until they are, we shouldn't be throwing money at them. With all the things that we can do, it seems we could use these or some other kind of energy. We are so cold in NH, it makes it harder than warmer climates to make alternative energy work.

Now wasn't that a brilliant statement? Nothing nobody doesn't know but just had to vent I guess.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
NoBozo (10-22-2012), Rusty (10-22-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #55
Rusty

Having worked in the mechanical engineering field most of my life I have a tendency to enjoy reading technical documents like the "Gear Box Failure" of the Portsmouth, RI wind turbine. http://www.portsmouthri.com/document...ne_Gearbox.pdf

I would love to be in Germany when they Perform the forensic teardown of failed gearbox to narrow down root cause of failure.

The only ones that have failed in NH are buried at the foot of Crotched Mountain (and they were a big failure) so I guess no one will be writing anymore reports about them.

The other wind farms in NH haven't been running long enough to have failures (to my knowledge anyway) so we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #56
fatlazyless

None of the ten or so wind turbines were turning today, but still a very impressive sight! Now that all the leaves have fallen off their trees, it has dramatically opened up the view from Rt 93, northbound, running the relatively short stretch between Exits 25-north to Exit 26, so now one gets about a 60-second look at the flat ridgeline atop Tenney Mountain while driving north, and the late afternoon sun clearly illuminates that ridgeline. Each one of the 300 (or 400?) foot high, all-white wind turbines has a reflective white surface, and easily catches and reflects the low angle, late afternoon sun; at least it does this time of year, so they really stand out against the blue sky beyond. Sometime soon, like in the next couple-three weeks I suspect, all the 24-turbines will be turning, and it will be some extraordinary sight to clearly and easily see about ten of them while driving north on Rt 93.

Who knows, maybe the state can rename that short stretch of Rt 93, between Exit 25 and Exit 26, to be the "WIND TURBINE MILE" and put up an informative and historic sign?

three dancing bananas represents three out of 24 turbines turning.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-15-2012 at 05:50 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #57
fatlazyless

Almost all of the 24 white wind turbines were turning with the winds yesterday morning......maybe 16 to 20 could be seen from the Tenney Mtn Hgwy as you get off at Rt 93-Exit 16....and their looks kind of grow on you.......they seem to look
a lot better when turning than when not turning. What the heck.....at least they are doing something and making somebody some money.....and as you probably already know......one cannot eat the view!

Each turbine costs maybe 5-million dollars because supposedly the whole project cost 120-million, and there's 24-wind turbines.

Anyone know how much electricity one turbine makes in a 24-hour day, and how does that translate into how much does Iberdrola get paid by N-Star for directing their wind power juice down to Boston? Unlike a car with a battery, all the power that goes into the grid must get used immediately because the electric grid has no storage reservoir for electric power similar to a car's battery.

Apparently, Groton must have a lot of year-round wind to make this very expensive project doable?

Who knows but as ski areas start to fade away what with the warmer winters, and more wind turbine towers get built, maybe New Hampshire will become known as the "Wind Turbine State." Looking at the ten or so wind turbines that are relatively close up to the Boulder Point-Plymouth medical center that is high up on a hill, it is very easy to see all the old and no longer used ski area trails of the now defunct Tenney Mountain Ski Area, and the neighboring wind mills high up the ridge. So's in this location, the mountain has gone from a ski area to a wind turbine area? Unlike a ski area, a wind farm is a business that runs every day and month of the year......just so long as the wind is moving.

Will refrain from posting all 24-dancing bananas here so just use your imagination! Could be that Iberdrola wanted to get all 24 turning by Christmas as their long term goal?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-20-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #58
Pineedles

Just a helpful reminder that you can turn off FLL's dancing bananas by pressing the Esc key.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #59
NoBozo

Default Update

It was Six Months this week since our town owned !.5 MW Turbine (Portsmouth, RI.) has turned. Nothng happening to change that as far as I know. NB

PS: I guess we (Taxpayers) are still paying the mortgage though.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #60
fatlazyless

About 3-4 miles away, in Campton on Fairgrounds Rd, someone has a huge brown bull and two gurnsey cows that get pastured in a meadow that looks up to the Tenney Mt ridge that is now the new home for all the 24 wind turbines. On a day like today with some big wind blowing, it makes for an interesting picture with all the turbines spinning around big time....they seem to look much better when spinning than when stationary......and it is a bit of a shock to know that about five-million dollars was spent for each individual turbine....and that these will supposedly make a profit? ....the answer to that is blowing in the wind?

And, at least three of the towers are lit up at night with bright red, flashing, triple-light beacons presumably for airplane safety, so's all the homes lining along Lower Beech Hill Rd in Campton that used to have an uncluttered mountain view now get to look at red lights every night........oh well.......tough nuggies and too bad! Maybe it will take five years or so to see how and what these turbine towers and red lights do for the local residential property values. While the local town assessors tend to be a little optimistic with the numbers....the actual selling price is what it is.....as always!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-25-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #61
BroadHopper

Default Wild Meadows and Spruce Ridge project

The Newfound area is facing the possibility of 90 industrial wind turbines between 400 to 500 feet tall. This number comes from the combined turbines of Groton Wind and the proposed Newfound area Wild Meadows and Groton's Spruce Ridge projects. We're being inundated with wind farms. It starts with an innocent meteorological tower approved by the local town. Once the met tower is in, the wind company can go straight to the SEC for application approval for a project if it is over 30 mw, without any say from the local town in which it will be built. The company and supporters of wind energy claim anyone can file intervener status to object to a project, but the SEC has never turned down a wind turbine project in NH. The SEC is using a ten year old energy policy that was formed by utility companies.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #62
CaptT820

Default Turbines & Northern Pass

Unfortunately the red lights are required by the FAA if a tower of any kind (wind, electric, commercial building, etc.) exceeds 200-ft from ground surface in height.
As for concerns with the Northern Pass project, there is a good chance that a "portion" of it will end up being placed underground. The "portion" is still yet to be determined, but right now it appears that around 40 miles of the project may end up underground. I know that at least 2 miles of it as of right now will definitely be underground. Unfortunately it would be nice to put all the lines underground, but as always it comes back to cost, where it is 1/5th the price in most cases to place the lines above ground surface.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #63
BroadHopper

Default Awesome advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Just a helpful reminder that you can turn off FLL's dancing bananas by pressing the Esc key.
This is the best advice I heard in ages
Pineedles (01-21-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #64
fatlazyless

From the Feb 28 Plymouth Record Enterprise, Talk of the Towns column in the Groton section, it says that the Town of Groton is looking for suggestions on what to do with the recent ten thousand dollar payment it received from Iberdrola Wind which was payment for the facility testing period.

"Regarding the two seperate donations to the Town in the amount of $5,000 each from Groton Wind in payment for the facility testing period, the Board is asking for suggestions on what to spend the money on. It has been suggested that electric power be permanently installed in the Ball Park, another suggestion was for a new copier in the Selectmen's Office. Contact the selectmen's office with your thoughts 744-9190."

Jo O'Connor, grotonnews@yahoo.com
Old 04-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #65
NoBozo

Default Update

It will be TEN Months this week since our $3M Town Owned !.5 MW Turbine (Portsmouth, RI.) has turned. Broken $800K gearbox. Nothng happening to change that as far as I know. NB

PS: See post #101 and #102 for background.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #66
fatlazyless

Over on Belknap Point Rd, on the Winnipesaukee waterfront in Gilford, not too far up from the NH Marine Patrol Hdqtrs, there's a single family house that besides having a very nice looking tennis court, also has a pretty good sized electric-generating wind turbine atop a tall steel tower near their tennis court. Yesterday on Sunday, while bicycling in that area, I noticed it for the first time and was a little surprised that the local Gilford zoning would allow for such a big wind turbine in a shoreline residential area but then again whatdoIknowaboutit anyway?

Who knows but just maybe that wind turbine can get the electric meter for the house to go backwards or something? Seems like it might just be a great way to turn your windy waterfront location into a mini-Winni windfarm! At the time yesterday afternoon, the wind turbine was spinning & spinning & spinning & spinning & spinning ........ad infinitum! .....it was pretty danged windy yesterday! ....... so it must have been making and selling electricity back into the electric grid to the NH Electric Coop ...... wow......how about that! I think I want one just like that on my little lot so's I can go do the same thing....put those windy kilowatts to work selling electricity for me!

Is one of these not-so-small residential wind turbines that makes your electric meter go backwards an expensive and unattractive looking, money-losing contraption, or is it a money-saving machine whose appearance sort of grows on the owner every time he/she gets the monthly electric bill?

This is probably the answer to my point about a supposed Gilford zoning ordinance that prohibits wind turbines. A quick google search of "New Hampshire RSA wind turbines" found this http://www.nh.gov/oep/resourcelibrary/swes/ which has a link to HB310, a NH law passed in 2008 that says among other things that "collection of renewable energy shall not be unreasonably limited by use of municipal zoning powers or the unreasonable interpretation of such powers except where necessary to protect the public health, safety, and welfare."

Picture hereth yon reader .... a high quality photograph, taken on a bright sunny day, of said not-very-small wind turbine atop a tall steel tower nestled attractively next to yon tennis court on a luxurious Lake Winnipesaukee, Belknap Point, Gilford, waterfront residential lot that includes a very nice, single family, shoreline residence......spin-spin-spin!

It also has a link, Renewable Energy Incentives, for renewable energy incentives that includes property tax exemptions applied to tower and wind turbine from individual towns(?).

Like, money probably makes a huge big difference in how people think about having a wind turbine on their residential property; receiving electricity credit off your monthly electric bill by causing your electric meter to run backwards, being property tax exempt from local property tax, and getting federal tax credits as well are among the items to consider when thinking about installing a personal wind turbine tower on your property.

Is a residential wind turbine something you might consider, and is it a winner or a loser type of an item?

http://energy.gov/energysaver/articles/small-wind

Last edited by fatlazyless; 05-15-2013 at 06:33 PM. Reason: ..... HB-310, 2008: Small Wind Energy Systems
Old 07-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #67
NoBozo

The Democrat Town Council (Back Then) Voted to build a !.5 MegaWatt Town Owned wind turbine. SO the town built it. ($3M) The Republicans won the Next town council election. During the Republican tenure..the turbine Broke and because of this...The Republicans last November were replaced by Democrats... (Go Figure).

The wind turbine has been Dormant for Over a year now and the Democrat Town Council seems to be IMPOTENT. They don't know nothin about no stinkin turbine. You can't make this stuff up. NB

EDIT: You probably have to back up a few posts to Get It.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #68
BroadHopper

Default Newfound lake Watch

I heard thru the internet, that someone is going around damaging, defacing signs set up by the opposition to wind mills. Someone took a number of these signs and clogged up the storm drain in front of a number of the local police stations. That's a pretty bold move!
Old 07-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #69
NoBozo

Default Just A Recount Of The Events.

I'm not sure what BH was inferring ..about people against windmills. I Voted against the windmill in the beginning. Being a fiscal conservative I didn't think borowing $3M during a recession was justified.

The town voted to Build It anyway. Once the turbine started going up I started to Like It. i became a supporter as long as it RAN and produced power. Then it broke. And then the guy from Seattle came out and looked at it. He prounounced it a "Dead Horse"..every which way you massaged the numbers...... It was a "Dead Horse".

So the Dead Turbine sits there in plain view of every tourist that comes over the bridge to the island from the North and those that exit the island heading north.

OH WAIT: There is a NEW (TOLL) bridge that tourists will have to cross to get to our little island of Aquidneck from the north..which you will have to use to get to NEWPORT. Our economy IS Tourism..just like the Lakes. The OLD bridge was free since it was built in 1956.

Don't have a RI EZPass...?? No problem. It will cost out of staters $10 round trip. NO toll collecters. A Scanner above the road will record your licence plate and send you a bill if you don't have the "Correct" transponder. Welcome to Our State. NB

PS: Rhode Island has been Democrat for the past 70 years. (95%)
Old 11-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #70
fatlazyless

Just noticed about an hour ago, that two of the more prominently placed windmills were turning round & round; they look pretty good too, something about their movement makes them a lot better looking than in a stationary position. Start em up.......that wind is blowing good......let's go make some electro-magnetic energy.......baby!

Two dancing bananas represent two out of the 24-total wind turbines turning, maybe five miles away up top the mountain ridgelines in Groton, as seen while driving down Rt 25-Tenney Mt Hgwy, westbound in Plymouth, while driving to the Wal-mart! One can get a pretty good, up-closer look from the Wal-mart parking lot.

Round and round and round they go; cranking out electro-magnetic energy, paying out $22,000+/year, for each wind turbine, in local property taxes to the Town of Groton www.grotonnh.org, click on GROTON WIND, plus supposedly making a profit too; pretty danged amazing!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etymology_of_electricity

Attention: On Monday at 8:40-am, there will be a 20-question, multiple guess quiz on the etymology of electricity.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 04-18-2013 at 03:54 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #71
Rusty

Quote:
Just noticed about an hour ago, that two of the more prominently placed windmills were turning round & round; they look pretty good too, something about their movement makes them a lot better looking than in a stationary position. Start em up.......that wind is blowing good......let's go make some electro-magnetic energy.......baby!

:b anana::ban ana::banan a:

Round and round and round they go; cranking out electro-magnetic energy, paying out $22,000/year plus in prop taxes to Groton, plus supposedly making a profit too; pretty danged amazing!
The Groton payment in lieu of tax agreement states that once the turbines are licensed and operating, each of the 24 turbines will net the town $22,000 a year. The PILOT base fee also increases annually by 2.5 percent.

$22,000 x 24 = $528,000/yr to the little town of Groton.

Spin Baby Spin!!
Old 11-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #72
NoBozo

I am a BIG fan of Vestas..the Biggest wind turbine company in the world: I was snooping around on the internet today and found this:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...-hardship.html NB
Old 11-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #73
NoBozo

OH: BTW: Hey Less..those stinkin bobbin bananas are very distracting....Just Sayin.. NB

WAIT A Freakin Minute: I think Rusty ..embelished on Less's post.....YUP..
Old 11-11-2012, 08:24 AM   #74
Pineedles

You can stop any moving avatar by hitting the Esc key.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (11-19-2012), NoBozo (11-11-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #75
fatlazyless

three dancing bananas represents three wind turbines out of 24-total turning.....looking in the rear-view mirror, driving eastbound on Rt 25- Tenney Mt Hgwy, I could see three wind turbines turning earlier today....this morning! Believe they are located on up high along Fletcher Mountain ridgeline........ayuh........by golly......round & round & round & round they go......making electro-magnetic energy......aka electricity!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity

"Wind power is of increasing importance in many countries." In the wikipedia article on electricity, "wind power" is a clickable link and there's a photo of a wind farm too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-13-2012 at 05:44 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #76
RANGER CANOE CO

Default Groton gets the cash

Plymouth get THE POLES. What a JIP I HATE THEM THINGS. (poles)
Old 07-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #77
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
The Groton payment in lieu of tax agreement states that once the turbines are licensed and operating, each of the 24 turbines will net the town $22,000 a year. The PILOT base fee also increases annually by 2.5 percent.

$22,000 x 24 = $528,000/yr to the little town of Groton.

Spin Baby Spin!!
The bottom line is.

Move to Groton. Where property taxes are real cheap.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:44 PM   #78
NoBozo

I haven't posted in some time. I thought this might interest some of you who are interested in Wind Turbines. The Portsmouth, RI.. 1.5 MW wind turbine Owned by the town has been inactive for going on 4 years due to a failed gearbox. This turbine was the first such installation .. in RI and much celebrated.

Today, (1/28/16) the turbine came "down to the ground". It will be replaced by a NEW 1.5 MW "Direct Drive" turbine in the next few days. Direct Drive means NO GEARBOX. NB

http://www.providencejournal.com/art...NEWS/311059970

EDIT: Here are some pictures of our Late turbine.

http://www.eastbayri.com/news/govern...g-down-photos/

Last edited by NoBozo; 01-29-2016 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:10 PM   #79
wifi

When it "worked", did it generate any revenue ? Any guarantee the new company will last long enough for support? Is this just another liberal, global warming faux pas to save face ?
Old 01-29-2016, 06:51 PM   #80
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
When it "worked", did it generate any revenue ? Any guarantee the new company will last long enough for support? Is this just another liberal, global warming faux pas to save face ?
There was a book written by Jack London in the very early 20th Century called "The Cruise Of the Snark". Most of his books were novels. The Snark was a real life description of his quest to have a Yacht built to his specifications.

When things didn't go as he would have liked..(he was being scammed by the builders)..He and his wife would say....Just think of that "Beautiful Bow".
-------------------
When my wife and I would drive by the Portsmouth Wind Turbine...WE would say....."Look at that wonderful Wind Turbine". NB

EDIT; According to the article in a previous post, the turbine made $340,000 over the three years it ran. The problem was...IT DIED before it could pay off it's bills.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:45 PM   #81
NoBozo

Default Update

The OLD Wind Turbine has been totally removed. The skyline is EMPTY as you drive on to the island. OMG. The BIG Crane was removed this morning. Seven years ago this crane cost $10K/day plus $10k Setup fee. It is a BIG Crane.

NOW: The NEW word is the NEW turbine will NOT be installed...until maybe in June.

My thoughts as an engineer, Maybe the NEW Turbine needs a NEW Foundation...That take's time.....The "Story" changes .............AS Required (Sarc) NB
Old 01-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #82
Scott's Yott

Birds are over rated anyway...Alls they do is POOP on my car
Old 02-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #83
BroadHopper

Default Lakes region Planning Commision

Looks like the Wind Farms are getting the local govts attention.

http://laconiadailysun.com/index.php...-lrpcwindfarms
Old 08-11-2012, 07:32 AM   #84
Pasquanel

I watched a documentary on Netflix last night about windmills in the town of Meredith NY called Windfall I wold recommend you all watch it. Particularly those of you who can see no downside to these things!
Old 08-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #85
Treerider

Default windfarm

I dont like seeing ski areas on Mountains,

I don't like seeing long docks that stick way out into the lake

I don't like looking at the blight of multi million dollar homes with huge boat houses on the lake

I dont llike it when I see cell phone towers

I don't like going down south and seeing oil wells and derricks

I don't like seeing high tension lines, ESPECIALLY through the woods

we should all shut of the power, cancel the next oil delivery, no more propane either

Bundle up whiners, its gonna be a long winter, oh, and no wood stoves, they pollute too and make my eyes water, better go to New Orleans or someplace else warm and safe.....
Old 08-30-2012, 10:19 AM   #86
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post
I watched a documentary on Netflix last night about windmills in the town of Meredith NY called Windfall I wold recommend you all watch it. Particularly those of you who can see no downside to these things!
I watched this same documentary last night and it is excellent! Very informative and eye opening. (disturbing actually) I used to be a big proponent of wind energy, but my view has changed since I saw this documentary. I second the recommendation.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:00 AM   #87
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
I watched this same documentary last night and it is excellent! Very informative and eye opening. (disturbing actually) I used to be a big proponent of wind energy, but my view has changed since I saw this documentary. I second the recommendation.
So one biased show deters you? Pick any type of energy source and fault can be found. Do you think a coal or oil fired power plant is better? If you want purity you better unplug.

As for windmills, they work. Obviously siting matters. I'd put one in my backyard it if made economic sense.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:55 PM   #88
BroadHopper

Default Property value

A good friend of mine owns one of the condos next to the Tenney Mtn. ski area. Even though the tubines are about 2 miles from her property, a realtor/appraisor told her to expect a property devaluation of 20%

She is already taking a hit when the ski area closes. Location, Location, Location.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:13 AM   #89
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
The documentary didn't change my view of wind turbines but it did influence me a little about the way big business will do anything to get their way. Payoffs to keep people quiet and pit neighbor against neighbor was mostly what this documentary was all about. It didn't really show any evidence that wind turbines cause excess noise or are bad for your health.

The unfortunate thing about wind turbines is that you need many of them in one area to produce enough electricity to make it worth while.

Last edited by Rusty; 09-01-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:43 AM   #90
fatlazyless

As of August 26, approximately 18 of the 24 wind turbines have been put up. How's the long distance view of them now, looking from Rattlesnake Island?
Old 09-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #91
Rusty

Quote:
As of August 26, approximately 18 of the 24 wind turbines have been put up. How's the long distance view of them now, looking from Rattlesnake Island?
Spin, baby, spin