Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2020, 06:37 AM   #101
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
The owners of the Dive want to construct their own dock attached to the city owned dock in Weirs Beach

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...cd688ed72.html
So it's been quite a while since there's been any discussion about the Dive. Does anyone know where things stand with their operation these days? Are they currently up and operating with social distancing? Have they received approval to build a new dock at the Weirs?

My guess is that Covid-19 must have a huge impact on their business.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:17 AM   #102
XCR-700

Over the last month or so I have only seen it at the beach end of the Weirs dock.

I have not attempted to dock on the back side in many years otherwise I might not be thrilled by that location, but others who do use the back side of the docks may not be too happy by its seemingly permanent status at the end of the docks.

Well that and its possibly the ugliest thing I have seen there since the last time a construction barge was docked at Weirs.

As for business, then seem to have a steady business, and people seem to say good things about them.

No real skin in this matter myself except I suspect if I tried squat on a public dock indefinitely I would likely have a problem, and it really is a super eyesore.

By comparison the Tiki boats are a brilliant concept, and in truth they make me smile ear to ear every time I see one of them crossing in front of the Weirs or anchored somewhere. And their customers always seem to be having a great time! But I never see them using up public dock space.

Again, not personally spending much time thinking about the Dive, but there is something a little off-putting when you see them on the public dock forever and its overall less than attractive appearance.

But if being butt ugly is their marketing concept and its working for them I'm not loosing any sleep over it, and at the same time not feeling any desire to see the inside, as opposed to the Tiki boats which I keep trying to come up with an excuse to try out
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
mowtorman (09-05-2020), newbie (09-04-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 07:48 AM   #103
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Over the last month or so I have only seen it at the beach end of the Weirs dock.

I have not attempted to dock on the back side in many years otherwise I might not be thrilled by that location, but others who do use the back side of the docks may not be too happy by its seemingly permanent status at the end of the docks.

Well that and its possibly the ugliest thing I have seen there since the last time a construction barge was docked at Weirs.

As for business, then seem to have a steady business, and people seem to say good things about them.

No real skin in this matter myself except I suspect if I tried squat on a public dock indefinitely I would likely have a problem, and it really is a super eyesore.

By comparison the Tiki boats are a brilliant concept, and in truth they make me smile ear to ear every time I see one of them crossing in front of the Weirs or anchored somewhere. And their customers always seem to be having a great time! But I never see them using up public dock space.

Again, not personally spending much time thinking about the Dive, but there is something a little off-putting when you see them on the public dock forever and its overall less than attractive appearance.

But if being butt ugly is their marketing concept and its working for them I'm not loosing any sleep over it, and at the same time not feeling any desire to see the inside, as opposed to the Tiki boats which I keep trying to come up with an excuse to try out
See, I kinda like The Dive where it is—seems like one of those Mississippi River gambling boats, and I think it fits in for the most part.

And for those who pay attention, I've been very critical of The Dive in the past because I thought it was the zenith of private capitalism destroying public space—I have had few Winni experiences more frustrating than showing up at a sandbar, early, with my family only to find it usurped by The Dive and its (often annoying) occupants. Not only did it monopolize huge amounts of space, but we often had to deal with the people's vessels who left for hours that would often slip with crappy anchors (when we actually stayed rather than altering our plans completely). I actually had a bro get mad at me and another guy for being upset that we had to reset his anchor for an hour lest his boat hit ours.

In any case, I've friends who have docked in the back with skis and they said it wasn't that big an obstruction, so I think overall it's a good place to be for The Dive and wish them well—nobody wants to see a small business fail, so I'm hoping it becomes a win-win for them, the town, and their customers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:18 AM   #104
Patofnaud

Glad the Dive has found a home. It can still be mobile, but having a spot that does not generate 7x24 angst is great.

It is also great that they are helping Laconia remodel and extend the docks. I live at Weirs and the current layout can be frustrating as hell, especially when you have a few Jet Skis taking up large spots instead of weaving in between.

Only tip/hint to the Dive, if your listening/reading, if you are staying on that end in the end, please move about 6 feet further out.

I am one of those who routinely ties up on the backside of the docks when it is busy (having a 1.5ft draft comes in handy), and when folks start sitting on the backside of the Dive, you have to go real wide to get to the backside and lets just say I have skag bumped a few times this season.

Also a small roped off area would be nice. Folks on those back seats tend to think they can roam around and up to the shorline. You need some 'no achohol beyond this point' signs in the water.

Beyond that, I look forward to the changes happing at the docks, finally! Maybe someday we will get dock hands?... Naaaa now I'm dreaming...
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:53 PM   #105
GodSmile

Default Tried it

Have never been a real fan of The Dive, esp when the business model was just to be every day in Smalls Cove. That said, to went to the Weirs by boat last evening. Decided to give it a try. Friendly and attentive wait staff. The facility itself seemed a bit grungy. Food on the expensive side. We just had a couple of appetizers and drinks, nothing too challenging.

My understanding is a dock was supposed to be built for them, but as has been stated, it is merely on the end of the pre-existing dock. I'm assuming if something is to be built, it will be done this off season.

Having it more or less permanently docked at the Weirs may be the best option for the business and it does not detract from anyone's experience on the lake.
GodSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2020, 01:28 PM   #106
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

It's a much better spot than where it was last season.

Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:23 PM   #107
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
It's a much better spot than where it was last season.

Behind the Winnipesaukee Pier??? Thats where I saw it last year.

Not sure I agree the current location is better.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:27 PM   #108
Patofnaud

My understanding is,,

The plan that has been initially approved is to remove every other finger of the docks and increase the length of the remaining fingers by 40ft.

Much like Merideth. Supposed to start work this fall.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:41 PM   #109
XCR-700

Doesnt seem like the math works out to the same number of dock spaces, is it?
Old 09-04-2020, 05:34 PM   #110
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Behind the Winnipesaukee Pier??? Thats where I saw it last year.

Not sure I agree the current location is better.
If you were one of the home owners that had to look out at it attached to the pier, I'm sure you would be happy it moved.

Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:45 AM   #111
4 for Boating

Default Dive - Meredith?

Thought I saw it docked in Meredith today. 9/5
Maybe over where the Mt Washington sometimes pulls in...
4 for Boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:33 AM   #112
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 for Boating View Post

You mean the Weirs? That’s its regular mooring.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:35 AM   #113
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
There are pump out stations at that dock.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:14 PM   #114
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
If you were one of the home owners that had to look out at it attached to the pier, I'm sure you would be happy it moved.

From behind the Winnipesaukee Pier to the end of the docks??? If, so I guess, but it woudnt seem like a big improvement if I did not like seeing it at all. It would seem like a bandaid solution.

Someone else likened it to a river gambling boat, cant say I see it. Maybe if it looked nicer, something like the Mount or the Doris or Sophie, then it might have more appeal, but currently the name Dive is well suited.
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
mowtorman (09-05-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 04:46 PM   #115
4 for Boating

Default Dive - Meredith?

I could have sworn on my way for a coffee this AM ~ 9 I saw the Dive tied up on the Meredith Docks where the Mt used to frequent. I will say it was not there later on in the day/afternoon when I returned by boat... Maybe I'm seeing things in my older age.

Would it go there for a pump out?
I would have guessed the docks at the Weirs had this ability...
4 for Boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 05:59 PM   #116
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
I could have sworn on my way for a coffee this AM ~ 9 I saw the Dive tied up on the Meredith Docks where the Mt used to frequent. I will say it was not there later on in the day/afternoon when I returned by boat... Maybe I'm seeing things in my older age.

Would it go there for a pump out?
I would have guessed the docks at the Weirs had this ability...
The Laconia public docks at the Weirs do not have pump out facilities.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:44 AM   #117
fatlazyless

Down the other end of the boardwalk from The Dive, doesn't the Citgo gasoline station have a sewerage pump-out hose on the dock, there. You can see it in the webcam?

Who knows .... maybe The Dive just wanted to go for a ride .... or something .... just for a test run?
DotRat (09-21-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 06:22 AM   #118
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Saw it in Meredith several times fairly early in the morning ...pumping out and loading supplies
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (09-06-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 08:31 AM   #119
Patofnaud

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofnaud View Post
Glad the Dive has found a home. It can still be mobile, but having a spot that does not generate 7x24 angst is great.

It is also great that they are helping Laconia remodel and extend the docks. I live at Weirs and the current layout can be frustrating as hell, especially when you have a few Jet Skis taking up large spots instead of weaving in between.

Only tip/hint to the Dive, if your listening/reading, if you are staying on that end in the end, please move about 6 feet further out.

I am one of those who routinely ties up on the backside of the docks when it is busy (having a 1.5ft draft comes in handy), and when folks start sitting on the backside of the Dive, you have to go real wide to get to the backside and lets just say I have skag bumped a few times this season.

Also a small roped off area would be nice. Folks on those back seats tend to think they can roam around and up to the shorline. You need some 'no achohol beyond this point' signs in the water.

Beyond that, I look forward to the changes happing at the docks, finally! Maybe someday we will get dock hands?... Naaaa now I'm dreaming...
Had a great afternoon at the Dive yesterday. I noticed right away that it is moved about 20ft further out on the finger dock. Yay! I'd like to think it was due to my note, but my guess is with the lake drop it was bumping bottom and at risk of grounding.

Oh and I got to meet Joyce! /wave