Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2008, 03:28 PM   #1
Chickie

Default Foxy Boats

Does anyone remember what happened to the Foxy Boats? They were excursion boats owned and operated by Capt. Carl Wallace, with docks located in Lakeport where the Burger King Restaurant is today. Initially the business began with one vessel around 1945 and a second one, the Foxy II, was added a couple years later. Their era came to an end in the mid 1960’s following the death of Capt. Carl. I remember hearing that one of them was sold and turned into a steamboat by the new owner. Does anyone know if is still plying the waters of Lake Winnipesaukee or another lake somewhere or has it gone to steamboat heaven by now?
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
GWC...

Photopost has an entry:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...p?searchid=648
Old 03-24-2008, 05:11 PM   #3
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default The Speed Queen and the Foxy

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:00 AM   #4
SIKSUKR

Leave it to McDude to come up with yet another one.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:40 PM   #5
Chickie

Default Foxy Boats

Thanks Mcdude for the wonderful photo cards of the Foxy Boats. It seems no one knows what happened to them - no postings as yet anyway. They were old when Capt. Carl hauled them here from heaven knows where, so they probably are no longer around. I thought somebody might recall or have knowledge about one of them being recycled into a steamboat in later life.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
Boardwalk Bluesboy

Default The Foxy - Color Photo and Brochure

For a color photo and a brochure of the Foxy, please click here. Enjoy!

Boardwalk Bluesboy
webmaster@weirsbeach.com
Boardwalk Bluesboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:19 PM   #7
Chickie

Default Foxy Boats

Thank you for posting the information and photos of the Foxy Boats. They certainly bring back many memories, as I rode the boats many times as a youngster. Capt. Carl Wallace died in April 1960 and his wife Amy tried to carry on the business after his death. She had been very much involved in the operation of the business from the beginning, but found it difficult to manage it by herself. She eventually sold the boats to the Winnipesaukee Steamship Co and later sold the property to the proprietor of the Shore Diner. She passed away in 1980.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #8
admiral goodie

Default what happened to the Foxy Boats.

Chickie, I maybe able to help re: what happened to the Foxy Boats. The smaller boat, the double ender was converted to steam. The conversion was done at my farthers boat yard in Glendale in the late 50s early 60s. The two old guys who ramroded the deal were George Whitney, he was 93 at the time, he was also the great grandson of Eli Whitney the man who invented the Cotton Gin. The other overseer of the project was a guy named Oscar York. He was younger, only in his mid eighties. He was a steamboat man from Wolfeboro. Had a house on the water with its own railway next to the Goodhue and Hawkins yard. Had 3 or 4 old steamers pulled up in front of the house. Every morning a crowd would gather at the slip where the boat was being outfitted just to watch the show. Two very brilliant boat men each with their own ideas. Capt. John Goodhue oversaw the project. The owner of the boat was Bill Vaiden. He bought the boat from the Wallace family. Some of the facts may be a little blurred for I was only 15 or 16 at the time. The larger of the two boats was in very tough shape and may have been burned one fall day at the yard in Glendale. Every year the guys would burn 6 or 8 old wooden boats that outlived their useful life. That's the best I cad do for you regarding the Foxy Boats. Goodhue Boat Yard in Glendale took care of the Foxy Boats for Capt. Wallace. The old Uncle Sam was stored and serviced there along with many other commercial water craft. The haul-out facility could accommodate boats to 70'. Thats my history lesson for today.
Adm. Goodie
admiral goodie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to admiral goodie For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (03-09-2009), mcdude (03-09-2009), RI Swamp Yankee (03-09-2009)
Old 03-10-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
Chickie

Default Foxy Boats and Lavallee Barge

Thank you, Admiral Goodie for the answer to my question, “Whatever happened to the Foxy Boats?” I thought I remembered that one of them had been given a second life as a steamboat, but was not sure if that was correct.

To hear that the other one was likely burned at the stake is disquieting. Nothing lasts forever, I guess. I know both boats were rather old by the time they arrived here and began plying the waters of Lake Winnipesaukee, so it is not too surprising that the end was near. I hope Capt. Carl’s widow, Amy, never learned of its fate. The boats were so very near and dear to her heart and I’m sure she would have wept had she heard of its cremation.

On another related note, in 1949 Capt. Ed Lavallee purchased a large barge from John Goodhue who was then operating a boatyard in Quincy, MA. It was cut into sections and hauled to the Foxy Boats (Wallace) property, where it remained for the winter. It was reassembled and set sail in the spring to dredge the Weirs Channel and construct Weirs Beach. Oddly enough, Lavallee sold the barge back to Mr. Goodhue around 1956 and about a year later Goodhue sold the barge to a company with headquarters in Staten Island, NY. It was dismantled once again and trucked to Portsmouth, where it was to be reassembled and sent over water to N.Y. Wonder if that old barge is still around somewhere?

Last edited by Chickie; 03-10-2009 at 01:51 PM. Reason: error
Old 03-13-2009, 02:38 PM   #10
admiral goodie

Default What happened to the barge?

Chickie, your information is quite accurate. My father sold the dredge to Capt. Lavallee. The barge was cut into 4 sections along with all the machinery, 2000' of pipe which floated on tanks and placed on a bunch of flat cars and shipped to Lakeport and reassembled. Capt. Lavallee built the Weirs Beach with the dredge along with a few other projects. The equipment sat in disrepair for some years after that. My father bought it back from Ed; put the equipment back in shape and dredged out what is now Fays Boat Yard, Gilford Yacht Club and a few other projects. By then the state and the feds were starting to get involved with dredging operations. Life for the dredge on Lake Winnipesaukee was comming to an end. All the machinery was sold to a company on Statten Island and the barge was bought by Winnipesaukee Marine Const. in West Alton. They used it for many years but my guess is that it finaly made the burn pile. Don't know for sure. Call Patsy Scribner (the owner) 293-7768. Anything else I can help you with? Someday we got to have a long talk. We're easy to find on Mark Is. starting Memorial Day.
admiral goodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:49 PM   #11
Chickie

Default More Dredge News

The December 9, 1949 edition of the Laconia Evening Citizen gives a detailed account of the dredge’s move from Quincy to Lakeport. The 45 X 75 foot dredge was sawed in half and loaded onto two large trailer trucks – each section being 75' long by 22-1/2' wide. It began its journey on the morning of December 8th and arrived in Somerville that evening, where it spent the night. At dawn the next day it continued its way north, passing through several congested Massachusetts communities, and headed towards open country and the New Hampshire border. The caravan moved along Rts 28 and 3 to Concord, then Rt 4 to 106. The weather was described as “near-zero cold”. Arriving in Laconia, and with the able guidance of Chief Dunleavy and Laconia PD, it inched its way up Main Street, down Church Street to Normandin Square, where it began the final leg of its journey along Union Avenue. It had left Concord at 1:15 and arrived at the Wallace (Foxy Boats) property in late afternoon of December 9th. It was reassembled and launched into Lake Paugus on February 17, 1950. Account of the launching reported it crushed the 15-inch ice “like an egg shell”.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chickie For This Useful Post:
admiral goodie (03-23-2009)
Old 10-04-2016, 08:22 PM   #12
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiral goodie View Post
Chickie, your information is quite accurate. My father sold the dredge to Capt. Lavallee. The barge was cut into 4 sections along with all the machinery, 2000' of pipe which floated on tanks and placed on a bunch of flat cars and shipped to Lakeport and reassembled. Capt. Lavallee built the Weirs Beach with the dredge along with a few other projects. The equipment sat in disrepair for some years after that. My father bought it back from Ed; put the equipment back in shape and dredged out what is now Fays Boat Yard, Gilford Yacht Club and a few other projects. By then the state and the feds were starting to get involved with dredging operations. Life for the dredge on Lake Winnipesaukee was comming to an end. All the machinery was sold to a company on Statten Island and the barge was bought by Winnipesaukee Marine Const. in West Alton. They used it for many years but my guess is that it finaly made the burn pile. Don't know for sure. Call Patsy Scribner (the owner) 293-7768. Anything else I can help you with? Someday we got to have a long talk. We're easy to find on Mark Is. starting Memorial Day.
Are you a Goodhue? Regardless thanks for the history!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote