Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-04-2009, 12:01 PM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts
Default Island Camps and Televisions

I just purchased a couple large screen LCD TV's for the island camp and I would assume that since LCD TV's are put in RV's and vans across America and never taken out in cold weather, one would think they should be O.K. left in an unheated island camp over the winter...Right??

What do most of you islanders do in the winter with your TV's?? I am hoping simply leaving them there would be O.K. then slowly allow them to get up to temperature in the spring before turning on would be O.K. as I really don't want to move these back and forth!!

Thanks!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:28 PM   #2
Orion

Default been there

I had the same concern when I bought my LCD TV for the camp 2 years ago. I brought it home the first winter but left it at camp last winter. The manufacturer has a storage temp range that goes down to -4 deg F. The temp in the camp never got that cold last winter (-14 outside, -3 inside) since it lags the outside temp drop and never really gets as cold as outside though it "could" go below -4 if the temp stayed that low long enough. There may be some "buffer" in that manufacturer limit and could possibly tolerate much colder but I don't know for sure. I'll be leaving it at camp from here on. If there is some concern, perhaps you could cover it somehow (original box cover?) and carefully put a small lamp in with it ...maybe 7w candle bulb might suffice. Check your manual for manufacturers recommended storage temps.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:45 AM   #3
Marker42

Cool ......................

we leave ours on the island. the newer tv's and other lcd electronics phone's etc are constructed to stand up to colded temps. see manufactures manual spec section. I did have a neighbor a few years back with a large screen lcd that did freeze and cost him about 5k at the time.
Marker42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:36 AM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts
Default -4 Storage

I found out that my TV's are also good for -4 degrees storage. I'm leaving them at the camp! I just got both of them installed this weekend and it would be too much of a P.I.A. to take out every year. I'll take my chances!

Thanks for the replies!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
I had the same concern when I bought my LCD TV for the camp 2 years ago. I brought it home the first winter but left it at camp last winter. The manufacturer has a storage temp range that goes down to -4 deg F. The temp in the camp never got that cold last winter (-14 outside, -3 inside) since it lags the outside temp drop and never really gets as cold as outside though it "could" go below -4 if the temp stayed that low long enough. There may be some "buffer" in that manufacturer limit and could possibly tolerate much colder but I don't know for sure. I'll be leaving it at camp from here on. If there is some concern, perhaps you could cover it somehow (original box cover?) and carefully put a small lamp in with it ...maybe 7w candle bulb might suffice. Check your manual for manufacturers recommended storage temps.

I'd be very nervous about leaving any watt running all winter unattended. Just my .02
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links