Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Covid-19 Discussions & Information
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2020, 08:35 PM   #1
fatlazyless

Exclamation ... scary notice in my mail box!

Anyone else receive a similar scary notice in their mail box, today Saturday, April 11, 2020 in Meredith?

Here's what it said:

"The Governor of NH issued a Stay at Home order on March 26 and this order is in effect until May 4th. A copy of the order is included here. Of special importance is section 4. This section describes the Stay at Home order and includes some exception. The order states that NH citizens "shall" stay at home or in their place of residence. (The legal definition of "shall" is an imperative command, has a duty to or is required to.) The property at xx Cattle Landing Rd is neither your home nor your place of residence. None of the exceptions, a) through k), apply to what you are doing at xx Cattle Landing Rd. Section 8 should also be of interest to you.

As residents of this neighborhood, we will only ask you once that you heed the order and stay home in Waterville Valley."

This scary notice was in a plain white envelope, no return address, and no cancelled postage, so someone placed it into my mailbox, out by the road. It is printed on a plain white 8 1/2 x 11" sheet with no identification of sender.

In addition, there were two printed 8 1/2 x 11" white sheets, info on all four sides, with the official NH office of the governor letterhead, Emergency Order #17: Closure of non-essential businesses and requiring Granite Staters to stay at home.

These four pages have a lot of information ...... whereas, whereas, whereas whereas, protocols, what you can do, what you can't do. If you google "State of New Hampshire, By His Excellency Christopher T. Sununu, Governor, Emergency Order #17 Pursuant to Executive Order 2020-04, Closure of non-essential businesses and requiring Granite Staters to stay at home" you should see it.

Anyway...... I was immediately suspect that I was being scammed, hoaxed, fake news-ed ...... because I know very well this is not the method of communication coming from your local NH police dept. Our local NH police are very professional and do write anonymous letters like this.

So I took this scary notice down to the Meredith Police, talked with an officer, and was informed that it did not come from the police and it is what it is ..... some unknown person sending me a scary notice.
gravy boat (04-13-2020), Hodge5 (04-16-2020), Pineedles (04-13-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 08:53 AM   #2
8gv

Maybe they want your place to be empty so they can empty it?
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (04-13-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 09:07 AM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

That's crazy—reminds me of the fallen-tree-vigilantes in Maine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 04-12-2020, 10:09 AM   #4
Seaplane Pilot

FLL, that’s an outrage and unacceptable. I believe it’s a federal offense to put things in others’ mailboxes. I’d notify the Post Office and tell them that you want a call from the postal inspector so they can find out who did this. Meanwhile, print this and present it if anyone harasses you.
Attached Images

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (04-12-2020), gravy boat (04-13-2020), lakewinnie (04-13-2020), Loony Singer (04-12-2020), Old Sarge (05-03-2020), Pineedles (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 06:25 AM   #5
fatlazyless

Default ..... looks like a rainy Monday?

Oh well and fee-fi-fo-fum ....... if that's how that is spelled?

Ok, so's I accidentally injured my right hand, late Saturday afternoon, doing yardwork in Meredith, when I made a surprise slip and fall while drag'n a load of leaves and pine needles up the small hill with a two wheel trash container. Anyway, landed awkward on my hand and temporarily lost the use of my thumb and index finger until it heals, has just 25% of normal use and strength. So's decided to chill in Waterville Valley, do domestic stuff, await my hand to heal, basically get bored, take long walks, and stay away from Meredith until my hand heals enough so's my thumb and index finger are back to good use.

I already purchased two new small trees, a flowering pear tree, and a very tall yellow Forsythia, (not a tree, is a tall skinny bush with multiple 5' limbs or branches), and depending on today's rain will probably dig out two old trees that died over the winter and plant these new trees.

The hand feels like it is back with about 75% use/strength for thumb and index finger.

Wish me a good positive day here/there for planting these two new trees, if the rain lets up. ......
Newbiesaukee (04-13-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2020, 08:35 AM   #6
The Real BigGuy

This cowardly & abhorrent! I hope the police have taken it seriously and increased their drive bys.

Definitely talk with the Postmaster because it is a Federal Offense to put ANYTHING in a mailbox other than US Mail. Sounds to me like you have a very brave “neighbor(s) who are afraid to address you face to face.

Good luck & keep your eyes open

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
fatlazyless (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 12:45 PM   #7
Mr. V

I see no scam.

Yes, it is a petty offense to drop off notes in a p.o. box: if caught the Post Office typically issuses a warning letter to the offender if it's their first time.

Obviously someone knows a lot about you, where you're from, and seems to be aware of your current circumstances.

Is it your residence?

If not, why are you there?
Old 04-13-2020, 06:03 PM   #8
lakeporter65

Actually it is a Federal Offense to place ANYTHING even a Avon booklet into anyone's mailbox. It's pretty cut and dry.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:42 PM   #9
The Real BigGuy

I believe if he owns the house it is a residence of his.

Old 04-13-2020, 07:17 PM   #10
fatlazyless

Arrow ...... Meredith is a blessed place!

I consider Meredith to be my residence as opposed to Waterville Valley, and have voted in town, state, and federal elections in Meredith for every single election held since 1992. My federal and NH-state taxes show Meredith as my residence.

The distance from Meredith to Waterville Valley is 41-miles and I have made the trip so many times to go 198,883-miles on my 2013 Scion xB, purchased new from Irwin's in May 14, 2014 ..... and still driving strong on the 'riginal four spark plugs.

If I considered Waterville Valley to be my residence, then I would be driving a Volvo or an Audi. But, by driving a Scion xB for the last six years, that totally proves without exception that my legal residence has got to be in Meredith, NH.

May God bless the super terrific town of Meredith, including and especially the library, the community center, the town docks waterfront area, the police dept, and the people of Meredith.

May today's large rain storm with big rain, big wind, and big water volume falling from the skies mark the turning point for the coronavirus to level off start to mitigate, dry up, and disappear.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:19 PM   #11
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeporter65 View Post
Actually it is a Federal Offense to place ANYTHING even a Avon booklet into anyone's mailbox. It's pretty cut and dry.

Sure, it's an "offense," but the reality is as I stated.

A warning only to first time offenders, absent egregious facts.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:22 PM   #12
swnoel

Time to rack a round in your shotgun...
Old 04-13-2020, 07:38 PM   #13
map

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
Time to rack a round in your shotgun...
YUP. Definitely agree.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:58 PM   #14
fatlazyless

Default .... forgot the transfer station.

..... and I forgot to mention the Meredith Transfer Station along with the library, community center and police dept as Meredith assets that are important to me as a resident.

And, God forbid that I ever need the fire department, but it is definitely there to be here.

While the transfer station is some what unusual to mention as an appreciated town service, I actually make very good use of the leaf/pine needles/branches drop-off at the Meredith Transfer Station for disposing tree debris from my quarter acre by hauling it there in a small utility trailer.

So, it is one very happening transfer station, that there Meredith Transfer Station!
Old 04-13-2020, 08:07 PM   #15
Kamper

It's a Federal offense to place non-US Mail in a mailbox. Report it to the Post Master. Maybe having the FBI roaming the neighborhood will unnerve the incipient terrorist.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:24 AM   #16
fatlazyless

Default ..... no outside stored boats in WV

Say, here's an interesting NH-boat storage factoid.

Did you know that the Town of Waterville Valley has a town ordinance against storing boats on a trailer outside where it can be seen. No keeping a boat in a driveway, a backyard, side-yard, or way back in the woods or anywhere except inside an enclosed building like a garage.

The thinking is about the looks or appearance for a boat stored outside.

So, how about that ...... something tells me it is maybe the only NH town with this rule?

Will try to make a link to the ordinance so you can read the definition and specifics.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:12 AM   #17
garysanfran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post

Did you know that the Town of Waterville Valley has a town ordinance against storing boats on a trailer outside where it can be seen. No keeping a boat in a driveway, a backyard, side-yard, or way back in the woods or anywhere except inside an enclosed building like a garage.

So, how about that ...... something tells me it is maybe the only NH town with this rule?

Will try to make a link to the ordinance so you can read the definition and specifics.
But your junk cars are OK? I've seen a lot of junked up yards with old washing machines, refrigerators, etc.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:20 AM   #18
Bear Islander

Quote:

Our town prohibits unregistered vehicles from that are visible from the street. So if the trailer is registered you are ok.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:41 AM   #19
TheProfessor

Quote:
Anyone else receive a similar scary notice in their mail box, today Saturday
It's a prank. From someone in your neighborhood with too much time on their hands.

Yes, it surely is not legal.

Security cameras are getting cheaper and cheaper. With battery technology advancing. So a camera can be placed almost anywhere.

If the local police were really concerned. They could have sent the paper to a lab for fingerprint analysis. They didn't.

Just a prank.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 11:01 AM   #20
Mr. V

Quote:
It's a prank. From someone in your neighborhood with too much time on their hands.
I don't think it was a prank.

The word "prank" commonly means to play a trick or practical joke on someone.

I did not detect a note of anything other than sober, serious intent in the mind of the person who left message left in his mail box.

Seems to be the same as leaving a message on an answering machine, or telling someone something face to face, except it ensures anonymity.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:03 AM   #21
thinkxingu

I don't see "As residents of this neighborhood, we will only ask you once that you heed the order and stay home in Waterville Valley" as a game, especially after citing "regulations" and inserting personal address info.

Old 04-16-2020, 11:57 AM   #22
Bizer

A lot of people have fled to their vacation homes and the locals don't like it. (They probably don't know that the O.P. is a legal resident).

Cape Cod residents were circulating a petition to keep non-residents away. They were trying to close the bridges over the Cape Cod Canal to non-emergency non-residents. It never made it past the six o'clock news.

My first argument: That's seizure without due process. My 2nd argument: I ain't gonna pay taxes on a house I'm forbidden to use.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bizer For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (04-25-2020), VitaBene (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 12:08 PM   #23
Susie Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I don't see "As residents of this neighborhood, we will only ask you once that you heed the order and stay home in Waterville Valley" as a game, especially after citing "regulations" and inserting personal address info.

Yes, I feel that he must have been doing something that made everyone really nervous. Was he going out every day and ignoring the stay at home order? Nobody is playing games right now. People are afraid.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:36 PM   #24
camp guy

Default scary notice in my mail box...

The sad, but true, facts are that this type of scam, and others over the phone and the internet, are becoming more prevalent as the COVID-19 situation continues There will be calls about the stimulus checks (if not already), and pleas from organizations wanting money to help victims (and I don't mean to be a hardnose), so, watch out!, be extra careful on the internet and the phone. If you have any suspicions, call your local police.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:28 PM   #25
fatlazyless

Question ....... what was I doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
Yes, I feel that he must have been doing something that made everyone really nervous. Was he going out every day and ignoring the stay at home order? Nobody is playing games right now. People are afraid.
What was I doing?

In the past few days I was doing outdoor boat dock repair, and leaf raking/tree & shrub replacement.

Replaced four very old, very rusty 2"x 48" galv steel dock legs with new legs which was a lengthy process since each steel pipe leg was held in place with four different bolts. The dock section is positioned upside, down, resting within a boat lift.

Will soon be installing the boat lift and 40' aluminum dock into the water which has got to be the very oldest aluminum dock, around.

Dug up and replaced a large unknown shrub with a large Rhododendron shrub .... dug up two old small trees that were doing poorly with new leafy pear tree
s ..... ditto this for a medium Rhododendron shrub ..... dug up an unknown shrub, moved it and replanted, and planted a large yellow Forsythia shrub .... planted about four other recently purchased small shrubs into gray plastic plant pots.

Leaf raking ...... raked up wet soggy oak leafs from areas around the edges of my quarter acre lot that have not been raked in a few years, and removed them to my small utility trailer. About one year ago, I purchased this small trailer for $150 from someone in Moultonborough and it has been the best $150 I ever spent because it really facilitates yard work, cleaning out the old soggy oak leafs and pine blow down branches and hauling it all away to the Meredith town disposal area.

Once the day time temperature is above 50-degrees, I want to start painting the gray masonry sidewalk stepping concrete disks outside, plus other outside projects.

My number of outdoor projects here, landscaping, painting, minor carpentry, and installing an 18" wide kitchen dishwasher is a long list of items, to-do.

Plenty of indoor items as well, but will not get into that as they are inside the house.

I mind my own business, I look straight ahead, have no conversations, and when someone shouts abuse at me, I ignore it, and just keep doing whatever I was doing ...... thanks.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:19 AM   #26
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
Why are locals afraid of someone from someplace else? If FLL was social distancing in Waterville Valley (he’s a bright man so I have no reason to believe he wasn’t) why is he a bigger issue than any neighbor? If people are afraid of people because they are from someplace else, well, that presents a whole bigger issue!

Old 04-25-2020, 07:22 AM   #27
fatlazyless

Default ....... three deflated tires in two days?

Ok, so it is Saturday morning, April 25.

What's happened lately like yesterday is that someone let the air out of both tires, sometime in the night, on a 16' motorboat on a trailer parked in my dirt driveway, causing the bottom skeg of the outboard to depress into the dirt with apparently no damages.

Pumped the air back into the two tires, and placed wood supports under the trailer frame in case it happens again.

About two days ago a tire on my small utility trailer had gone surprisingly flat considering it is a relatively new tire and rim, about 8-months old. Didn't think much of it at the time, just re-pumped it up, but now with the 16' fishing boat incident, am connecting the dots of three tires, all gone flat.

No physical damage to any tires such as sticking a knife through the sidewall, so some unknown person took the time to depress the small valve stem while the air flows out which takes a couple minutes.

Am e-mailing the local Allstate, office closed, to get an insurance policy for this 16' Lund/Honda/trailer fishing boat purchased last October, used. Just sitting in the driveway, all covered up, had not felt the need for insurance ..... until now.

Will be getting another motion detector outdoor light, and a motion detector video wildlife camera to hopefully get some good photos of whoever, doing whatever.

Went back to the Meredith Police last evening, my second visit including the visit concerning the scary note and spoke with the same officer who was very good, took notes on what's happening and seems like a very competent police officer.

Ok, so I start to think about these incidents ..... the flat tires and the scary notice in my mailbox ..... are they related .... are they connected .... is it all coming from one person or what ...... time will probably tell, as it usually does?
Old 04-25-2020, 08:53 AM   #28
Hillcountry

Quote:
Ok, so it is Saturday morning, April 25.

What's happened lately like yesterday is that someone let the air out of both tires, sometime in the night, on a 16' motorboat on a trailer parked in my dirt driveway, causing the bottom skeg of the outboard to depress into the dirt with apparently no damages.

Pumped the air back into the two tires, and placed wood supports under the trailer frame in case it happens again.

About two days ago a tire on my small utility trailer had gone surprisingly flat considering it is a relatively new tire and rim, about 8-months old. Didn't think much of it at the time, just re-pumped it up, but now with the 16' fishing boat incident, am connecting the dots of three tires, all gone flat.

No physical damage to any tires such as sticking a knife through the sidewall, so some unknown person took the time to depress the small valve stem while the air flows out which takes a couple minutes.

Am e-mailing the local Allstate, office closed, to get an insurance policy for this 16' Lund/Honda/trailer fishing boat purchased last October, used. Just sitting in the driveway, all covered up, had not felt the need for insurance ..... until now.

Will be getting another motion detector outdoor light, and a motion detector video wildlife camera to hopefully get some good photos of whoever, doing whatever.

Went back to the Meredith Police last evening, my second visit including the visit concerning the scary note and spoke with the same officer who was very good, took notes on what's happening and seems like a very competent police officer.

Ok, so I start to think about these incidents ..... the flat tires and the scary notice in my mailbox ..... are they related .... are they connected .... is it all coming from one person or what ...... time will probably tell, as it usually does?
Good luck with the game camera! Be careful to mount it somewhere that it can’t be detected as they are regularly stolen as well.
If you can, buy one with the “blackout” feature that takes pictures/video with NO FLASH. The older ones had a flash like a regular camera and were easily detected. A couple of good brands I have had luck with are Covert and Browning...the cheap ones found in Tractor Supply or Walmart have been faulty in that they are not consistent in getting good pics.
Hope you catch your vandals...if this were happening in my property I would be livid.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:45 AM   #29
Kamper

Les, it's sounds like a combination of "Social Justice Warrior," "Vigilante," and "Domestic Terrorist" in action.

Send a letter to the 'city desk' of your local paper or offer a story on WMUR's web-page. It probably won't help catch the cretin but when the police interview , portion of the segment advises that these actions are criminal, the fool may get nervous and back-off. This is a person who prefers to slink in the shadows. The more the situation is exposed, the less comfortable they will be.

I do wonder if it's not someone with a personal grudge who mistakenly believes this is a valid excuse to take action without consequence. If you haven't already, post your property until the situation stabilizes.

If you are a 2A supporter, consider being seen walking your property openly armed.

Good luck!
Old 04-25-2020, 02:42 PM   #30
Mr. V

I am sorry to hear about you being targeted for harassment, but I have to wonder whether your simply staying in a home which is not your year round residence would warrant such a level of negative attention.

Perhaps someone has a grudge against you for something unrelated to covid-19 and you living there at this time.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:16 PM   #31
Sue Doe-Nym

I have thought a lot about this because this behavior is really troublesome. You wonder whether this person has been harboring a resentment for an event he perceives as a slight from something that occurred many years ago. His actions are cowardly and juvenile. I’m sorry you are having to deal with this, especially right now when life is stressful enough without extra aggravation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
Givemethewholeclam (04-25-2020), pondguy (04-26-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 04:58 AM   #32
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
I am sorry to hear about you being targeted for harassment, but I have to wonder whether your simply staying in a home which is not your year round residence would warrant such a level of negative attention.

Perhaps someone has a grudge against you for something unrelated to covid-19 and you living there at this time.
The obvious side issue that's easy to see which I mentioned before in another thread is that I have too many boats sitting in my quarter acre, waterfront lot. Selling off, removing, and getting rid of three large items; two 18.5' motorboats on trailers and an old pickup truck would go a long way to de-clutter the yard and improve the appearance.

They have been there for years and years, not doing me any good, just sitting there so I need to lose these three large items, all about the same size, for a big first step.

For now the coronavirus pandemic makes it difficult to sell items via craigslist what with outside potential buyers coming to look-buy-haggle-purchase plus I need to teach myself how to post photos on craigslist as well.

This is my obvious purple, polka dot elephant in the room, here ..... like, no kidding and it's my goal to get them gone over this 2020 spring and summer.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:19 AM   #33
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
The obvious side issue that's easy to see which I mentioned before in another thread is that I have too many boats sitting in my quarter acre, waterfront lot. Selling off, removing, and getting rid of three large items; two 18.5' motorboats on trailers and an old pickup truck would go a long way to de-clutter the yard and improve the appearance.

They have been there for years and years, not doing me any good, just sitting there so I need to lose these three large items, all about the same size, for a big first step.

For now the coronavirus pandemic makes it difficult to sell items via craigslist what with outside potential buyers coming to look-buy-haggle-purchase plus I need to teach myself how to post photos on craigslist as well.

This is my obvious purple, polka dot elephant in the room, here ..... like, no kidding and it's my goal to get them gone over this 2020 spring and summer.
That still does not give someone the right to illegally threaten you and destroy your property.

Sorry you have to deal with this.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Old 04-26-2020, 06:27 AM   #34
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
That still does not give someone the right to illegally threaten you and destroy your property.

Agreed, and it's still easy to sell things these days with Venmo, PayPal, etc.

Old 04-26-2020, 07:23 AM   #35
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post

Well, thanks for the sentiment and whoever let the air out of the three tires could have just pressed a small sharp knife through the tire side wall which is actually quicker and easier to do than depressing the tiny valve stem and holding it down for two minutes while the air escapes. It took me like 15-minutes to air up the tires with a two hand air pump with no damages to tires, boat motor or other trailer so it was a somewhat considerate, well mannered type of a malice.

At 6-pm on Boston Marathon day in 1979 I got held up by a lone, screaming, shouting hold-up guy who had been in earlier, while closing up a small Boston hardware store for the day, and was lead down into the basement to the safe with a 5-shot 38-revolver held upside my head so all things considered, three tire deflatings is not too terri-bobble.

And, all things considered, something tells me that losing these three large boats and pickup truck will go a long way to making it a happier waterfront neighborhood.

Down by the Moulton Farm in Meredith, have noticed the Miracle Farms business has a very nice, dark gray, all wood, outdoor storage shed with windows, for something like $2500 ...... and replacing my old junk Ford pickup with a shed like that could be a huge improvement, here.