Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-22-2020, 04:03 PM   #1
mswlogo

Default We want the same thing, don't we?

Let's talk. Let's find some common ground and try to diffuse the polarization we see EVERY WHERE today.

I really like this forum, but the "rightness" in many threads is a bit of a turn off, so I was thinking of just going elsewhere. But I really value the information and caring for one another I do see in this forum. So I'm going out on the edge here and see if we can find some common ground and see if we can reduce the polarization. Starting HERE.

You may ask what does this have to do with lakes forum. It has a lot to do with it. Because I think the forum is polarizing and is close to driving some folks away, like me). And banning discussion doesn't help. So I'm trying this approach. Let's talk about.

If you do post in this thread. Try to put yourself in the others shoes. How they were brought up. What they might have had to deal with etc. Try not to throw insults. I know that can be hard and I'm just as guilty as anyone doing that. Try not to say something to just get a rise out of someone.

There is one thing we all sure have in common. We absolutely love the lakes region. Whether you have a small place on an island, a slip, water front home, shared or private, rent or regularly visit. We all love it. Let's start there that we agree with that.

Here are some other things I'm pretty sure we can agree on.

Common:

Clean lakes
Low taxes
Affordable lake property
Reasonable usage of Lakes and Properties around the lakes
A nice town center (not over the top, but not a dump)
Some reasonable level of services from the town.
Good schools (whether you have children or not).
Woman's rights (equal pay).

Left leaning:

Restrict some watercraft.
Restrict speed

Right leaning:

No Restriction on any watercraft.
No Restriction on speed

If you disagree with what I put above let's hear why YOU think that's the case.

Some background.

I call myself a true blue democrat (but I'm way more left now because of the polarization !!!, we were independent for decades). Let me give you some history. When Reagan beat Carter I was bummed. I loved Carter, he did a lot BTW for Clean Water and Protecting 56 million acres in Alaska (https://legal-planet.org/2019/06/20/...-jimmy-carter/). I was not thrilled with Reagan being elected. But in the end I really liked Reagan (except his Prop 2 1/2 has caused some serious side effects, but he had good intent because property taxes were out of control in CA at the time). When Clinton beat Bush Senior, I was bummed. But I'd keep an open mind. I loved Clinton (despite his major flaws). Bush junior, I never liked while in office, mostly because Cheney bamboozled him and us into a war that never should have happened. But post his term, I've grown to really like Bush Jr.. I loved Trump before the election. I loved the Apprentice (up until celebrity Apprentice, he had the weirdest Celebrities though).

But now... wait I'm not gonna say what I really feel because I want this to start off on a good tone and I'll let some others jump in.

Are you game to find the most common ground we can, I bet when we dig deep we all want the same thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to mswlogo For This Useful Post:
camp guy (09-22-2020)