Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2004, 09:19 PM   #1
Mee-n-Mac

Question Auxiliary anchor recommendation

I'm asking for some thoughts on a secondary anchor for the "Mee-n-Mac". It's primary purpose would be to tie the stern down so it doesn't swing with the wind when in close quarters with other boats (who've done likewise). Think fair weather rafting more so than foul weather e-gear. I don't need anything as robust as the primary anchor but then again having a back-up isn't such a bad idea (and would surely be my choice if on the ocean, just not sure where I'd store the thing). What have you used for an auxiliary anchor that worked ? ... that didn't work ?? What would you recommend for a 24 ft, 5000 lb boat ???

Last edited by Mee-n-Mac; 05-28-2004 at 07:29 AM. Reason: bad typing, worse proof-reading
Mee-n-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 09:28 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default glad to help

How about my wife and a couple of cement blocks!!!!!!

Seriously, I just have two fluke type anchors and normally drop the bow, back up to get enough (can't think of the right term) play in the line to hold properly, go back a little more, toss anchor two off the stern and pull forward to set it. Helps to be into the wind, if other boats allow.
upthesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 09:33 AM   #3
Coastal Laker

I just bought myself an aluminum fortress (fluke) for my primary. Excellent holding power with less the weight. Being that it is lighter than my "other" fluke that I've been using for years, I went up one size so it can double as a storm anchor. Now I use my old anchor for the stern since I use that less frequently.
Coastal Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 02:05 PM   #4
Mee-n-Mac

Default Thx people

Seems the responses are pretty much what I was thinking. Another Danforth type anchor is the ticket. Just gotta find a place to store it. I guess I could get some holder mounted to the pulpit rail.

p.s. "upthesaukee" - Good to know your wife doesn't frequent the forum. If I'm wrong re: this, then I congratulate you on your new, celibate, llifestyle
Old 06-04-2004, 02:11 PM   #5
kchace

-Mac, you got it, another Danforth type is all you need. I use an 8 pounder with 3/8" line for tying down the stern and it works great. You don't usually need as much as your main anchor because the load is not nearly as much.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2004, 02:45 PM   #6
B R

Default Fortress Anchor

we use one of these anchors. my wife found a nice pouch (made by fortress for the specific size anchor) to put it in when we're not using it. you have to disassemble it to get it in the bag, but once done, it's very easy to store. it takes all of five minutes to put it together.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:42 PM   #7
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

No, my wife doesn't frequent the forum, but she does read the upthesaukee mail....OOOOOOOOOOPS. Thank god the dog house is screened in. Actually she is used to the comments and usually manages to get even. Enjoy the season, maybe see you on the lake.
upthesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 05:02 PM   #8
Belmont Resident

Default 2nd anchor

Buy a 2nd anchor rated for your size boat. Not worth the aggravation of not having one large enough.
I've seen many boats pull anchor at the sand bar bacause they had to small an anchor to do the job. Nothing worse than having that happen with boats all around you and in jepordy of being hit.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote