Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2004, 10:59 AM   #1
Sachems Cove Dude

Default Boating at night

Ok, I've heard that you should not boat at night, period. Is this true? Because we have seen many people on the lake in the after sundown. I thought the only thing we need is the nav and stern lights, a 1,000,000 candlepower light, and a Bizer 6 (when it comes out). Comments, criticism, ???

Thanks in advance,
The yet again, confused guy in Sachems Cove
Old 02-18-2004, 02:05 PM   #2
spotsink

Default Re: Boating at night

There is no law against boating at night except that you cannot operate a PWC (ski craft in NH legalese) after sunset. However, there are risks inherent in this activity. I would suggest you only try to go in areas you are thoroughly familiar with and have traveled during the daytime. Realistically, on a night with a full moon there is almost as much light as in daytime and it can be a very pleasant experience. My wife and I took a moon light cruise last October, our last weekend on the lake that season, and had a wonderful time. Plan ahead and you should have no problem.

Enjoy!
Old 02-18-2004, 02:24 PM   #3
HALL N IT

Slow cruising speed and common sense can make for many wonderful nights watching the shooting stars on the lake and if you're lucky, The Northern lights.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:52 PM   #4
Rattlesnake Gal

Default Re: Boating at Night

I have never heard that. Common sense would say to be careful of the dangerous areas. It is truly amazing to be out during a full moon with a calm lake with the throttle wide open. Smiling just remembering it!
This is what the Boat Safety Course Book states:
(There is a pull down menu on the right side of page with the book chapters.)

Chapter 3: Operating Your Boat Safely ~ Night Navigation

Night navigation presents additional challenges. You should always operate at a slower speed at night and be on sharp lookout for the lights of other vessels. Lights displayed by other vessels will help you determine whether they are operating under power or sail, and their direction of travel. Once you’ve determined this, you apply the same navigational rules used in the daytime. However, never assume that the lights of other vessels are working properly. Allow plenty of time and distance to give way if needed, even if the lights indicate you are the stand-on boat.
Encountering Other Vessels At Night - see the online book.

http://www.boat-ed.com/nh
Old 02-18-2004, 03:00 PM   #5
Frdxplorer

Boating at night successfully is contingent on how familiar you are with the lake in general, and the area you intend to travel especially. The Lake is a VERY different place at nite. Very easy to get disoriented about which Island is which and where a particular point is. It is also amazing how much of a role the moon tends to play. If the moon is shining brightly, it is not much different than driving in broad daylight. If you know what you are doing, night operation is safe. Extra care should always be taken and, like in the daylight, you must always be looking out for people who don't know as much as you do. One final thing, lights are helpful but do not operate like headlights. It is often easier to let your eyes adjust and only use a light if you are really searching for a particular object. Lights can also blind other night operators.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2004, 03:43 PM   #6
John

Boating at night is a great experience, and it should be done with caution, common sense should prevail, and yes know where you are going and what route you can take. Witches can get very scary at night. And keep an eye for other boats and keep your distance. Begining of the season there is stuff in the lake that shouldn't be there, so keep your eye open for that too.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:57 PM   #7
SteveG

If you know where you are, you can have a great experience, but please don't use that 1M candlepower light as a headlight. It should only be used sparingly, to see navaids or landmarks, and then shut off. It takes almost 30 minutes for your eyes to adjust to the dark after being blinded by the light. They kill your nightvision.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:10 PM   #8
Tim

Be very careful at dusk of course. The one thing I would point out is the importance of keeping your entire attention on the water and not on your guests. Boat lights look a lot like shore lights and can easily be confused with tragic results. Not only do you need to look where you are going, but almost more importantly where the OTHER boats are going! This all sounds very obvious but when I was a teen I recall watering down a few drinks on a boat I just nearly missed. That boat was at idle speed and did not see me coming. If not for a hard jamming cut of the wheel it would have been a far different result. Trust your eyes, but don't trust anyone else's! One last thing on this subject, NEVER shut your lights off for even a second! The stars will look brighter with them off, but you risk them being the last stars you see~ enjoy!
Old 02-18-2004, 05:23 PM   #9
Wary Boater

Boating at night can be a very pleasurable experience with reasonable speed and common sense. Make sure that you have an updated chart of the lake and that your navigation lights are in good order with replacement bulbs on board. You must be aware that there may be others out there operating on the lake that have attitudes and not be particularly concerned about your welfare. Always boat defensively and be well informed about the Lake and the operation of your boat. Starting in April, the USCG Auxiliary will be giving Boating Safely Courses in the Wolfeboro area which will qualify you for the NH Safe Boating Certificate. Annoucements for time and place will appear in the Granite State News. Don't forget to have us do a free Vessel Safey check.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:38 PM   #10
Belmont Resident

We boat at night quite often especially during those warm summer night's. We will travel from Paugus Bay down to Wolfboro for the fireworks on the 4th.
I've seen a lot of them and find them to be the best on the lake.
It can get a little confusing especially on those moonless nights when you can't see a thing, that's when the GPS comes in handy.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:50 PM   #11
MJL

I did not start night boating until I was familiar with the lake.However once you start you will love it. The broads at night with the stars showing is my idea of peace and joy.
Start out slowly just going to places you are very familiar with. Also start on full moon nights.
It takes a while but my wife and I love it. You will become a night person very quickly.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:16 PM   #12
*Mike*

alot of people miss out on a great aspect of boating on Lake WInnipesaukee with the fear of venturing out at night.Unfortunatly with my line of buisness the only time i have had for some time is night boating. commom sense is the rule only go where you are totally aware of the waters and a good gps doesnt hurt either.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:40 PM   #13
Orion

As other posters have stated, make sure you know the area well enough in the daytime to be able to correlate the navigation at night (GPS is VERY helpful and takes out most of the worry). Navigating at night with no moon or with cloud cover is very difficult as the lighted markers blend in with lights on the shorelines. There are also many foolish people running at high speed so you run some risk in areas of higher traffic.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:49 PM   #14
Mee'n'Mac

I dug up a response I gave to a similar question last year ....

As for your trip back home, it's not one I've made at night so I can't directly comment. I would make a the following common-sense remarks re: 1'st time night boating....

1) Don't make any crowded night your first. It's too much info to process. Start with a small and easy trip and build from there.

2) Know your route well by the daytime (seems you do) but be aware your normal "landmarks" are mostly gone at night thus ..

3) Your 1'st time out go at dusk when you can correlate day and night landmarks. Don't go too far and if in doubt stop and make sure you have your bearings.

4) Next time go when the moon is full, or nearly so. It's amazing how much you can see with dark adapted vision on such a night.

5) Bring a good spot light and a backup. Use only sparingly and then only to confirm the marker you "know" is (should be) "there". Searching about w/the light ruins your dark vision and other's too.

6) I like to have a small waterproof flashlight for everyone on board, with their PFD. Should the very unlikely happen, they can be located in the water via said lights.

Remember not to hurry (your speed, your navigation, your decisions, anything) at night and if you're not sure of anything, stop and be sure before proceeding. Sorry if I'm be pedantic....
Old 02-19-2004, 12:00 AM   #15
Just a thought

One of the most challenging, yet most rewarding outings I ever had on Winnipesaukee was a run from Lees Mill to Silver Sands after dark. I had made that run in daylight several times before so I knew (roughly) where the hazards were so as to be able to locate them by spotlight quickly. My only recommendation is that you have all adult passengers keep their life jackets close by. During the day most boats have these items tucked neatly out of the way, but at night I feel it's better to have them out.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:23 AM   #16
RLW

Good words from a new SNOWBIRD and doesn't need us any more.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:41 AM   #17
Fire - Fly

Whole heartedly agree with everyone, know where you're going during daylight hours first. Then take small trips, building on them each time.
What I have great faith in is my Standard Horizon chartplotter. This uses Bizers C-map chip and plots all the markers and moves as you travel.
But certainly be prepared in case you loose your plotter.
Nothing like being in the middle of the lake with all those stars. No light pollution like home here in CT.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:46 AM   #18
Grady 223

Only requirement is to use good sense. If you couldn't navigate at night it would create some real difficulties for us islanders. I agree with many of the posts here, some of our favorite times are our trips out to the island late at night.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:50 AM   #19
Jeff Furber

I don't see anything wrong with boating at night, it sure is peaceful and on clear nights the sights are great.
Caution and Bizer 6 and confidence are the rules of the day/night.
I think there are many areas on Winnie that one might not want to pass through at night but certainly, Merideth Bay from Weirs to the launch ramp would be a nice ride. Besides you might have the whole of Merideth Bay to yourselves.
By the way Sachem Cove guy , I love to fish in the Sachem cove area and I am always careful of property and keeping the lake clean. In fact I would love to live in the Sachem Cove/Spindle Point general area
Old 02-19-2004, 05:03 PM   #20
night boater

I wouldn't venture around tricky areas such as the graveyard, but as long as you know your route well, you'll be fine. I enjoy going out at night from MVYC and anchoring around the governor's island bridge. Its very calm and peaceful...good spot to bring guests and prepare a nice meal on the boat! Although I have to admit I had a scary experience last summer in saunders bay, as a boat cut right in front of me when I was heading into the marina
Old 02-19-2004, 07:32 PM   #21
JackL

Rattlesnake Gal,
Your post is contradictory. You enjoyed full throttle at night then site the regs., "slower after sundown." What are you advocating?
Old 02-20-2004, 07:34 AM   #22
madrasahs

Generally speaking, boating early in the season is safer than "The Season".

One "early" problem is winter-damaged tree parts that float from shore to shore. Another is floating dock parts. Or entire docks! I reported an intact 50-foot dock floating freely a few years ago. It was painted red -- a difficult color to spot at night -- and it floated for weeks.

In rebuilding winter-damaged docks during the spring, both old pieces and some large new pieces "get lost". At night, you'll never see those dock parts.

Boating at night -- at any time -- has its own challenges.

How good is your night vision?

1) A recent Meredith fatality cited a defective stern light as a reason for the accident.

You should be able to see boats with missing stern lights.

2) Navigation lights (so-called "bow lights") are detectable enough to identify a boat at night -- even from astern.

3) Last season, in front of my place, two small boys in two unlighted boats roped together stayed out past dark. You should be able to see just such an eventuality.

4) Those "near misses at night" may be the "other" boater's fault -- or it might be your own.

There's no requirement for a test of a boater's vision -- day or night. A former neighbor,who may have bought his Meredith condo and Baja by now, is "sighted" in just one eye.

5) A "flash" from one of those 1,000,000 cp searchlights can disrupt your night vision for many minutes.

6) There's no standardization of shore/dock lights, so keep at least one wary eye ahead.

Be a wary boater. GPS didn't save "Ouch".
Old 02-20-2004, 09:07 AM   #23
Rattlesnake Gal

Your right. My post was conflicting. It was a full moon. Almost light as day. Smooth as glass on a beautiful, chilly night in October. No one was out on the lake. We did not see any other boats out there. We went from Saunders Bay to the island. Not the usual night experience, for sure. Nothing hazardous on that ride, in my opinion. We are very cautious people by nature and believe in being safe. Conditions were just right. Perhaps even once in a life time thing. Guess I got caught up in the memory. I can be impulsive on occasion. I should have kept the story to myself and not posted it. Sorry if I misled anyone, certainly not my intention. Boating at night always takes care. Thank you for bringing my error to my attention.
Sincerely,
RG
Old 02-20-2004, 10:50 AM   #24
Belmont Resident

All of your statements are factors to consider.
But even with all the care in the world some things are unavoidable unless you stay at home.
I for one totally enjoy boating at night and do so with caution. There is nothing better than being out floating around in a secluded cove with your significant other.
I disagree with one of your statements concerning the bow light. Number 2 I believe. We followed a boat back to the Weirs channel one night, they had an electrical problem which took out their stern light. Unless you knew there was a boat there you never would have seen them. Bow lights cannot be seen from the stern of the boat unless they are mounted on each side of the boat as some are.
I personally am taking the precaution of mounting a second stern light just above my swim platform.
I have noticed that this location is much more visible than lights mounted higher up plus it will act as a backup should something happen to my stern light.
Accident's are going to happen, that is why we have insurance. But if one does happen and the driver has done everything correctly then he/she can rest assured they were not at fault.
Life is to short to stay at home because you might get hurt or hit a stick in the water. You take the same risk each time you climb on a snowmobile, ATV, mountain bike or strap on your ski's.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:34 PM   #25
Island Girl

All of the posts have given good advice. I really like being out at night however we were always prepared. (after a couple of times not being so prepared)

We brought a GPS, extra batteries for it, spare battery operated bow and stern lights (we have needed them when our lights failed), extra spot light, two charts, life jackets at hands reach, cell phone, VHS radio, took kit, water. We also carried one of those portable charger batteries that could start the boat and double as a power source for spare lighting. For cooler nights and mornings I have a portable windshield defroster and also have used paper towels to wipe off the windshield. Additionally, instrument lights and some bow lights can be distracting for the driver. a piece of cloth, hat, anything put on the dashboard will cover them. Everything except the GPS stay stowed on the boat.

I think it is a mistake for an inexperienced boater to go to night events such as fireworks. The boiling soup you end up in can be quite frightening.

I personally would not venture anywhere I had not been during daylight. Still it all looks different after dark, the islands blend into the background and it is hard to know where you are. If I am going somewhere new, I go in the daylight with the GPS turned on. It tracks my safe path. Then after dark I just follow the path drawn on the GPS. Charts and flashlights back up in case of failure.

All that being said, it is so peaceful out there after dark it is worth trying, if prepared.

A note to those on shore: please keep your bright outside lights off. It makes seeing very difficult for boaters.

Island Girl
Old 02-21-2004, 10:47 AM   #26
Frdxplorer

Island Girl,
Very good advice for those on shore. Whenever I'm approaching my dock at night my well-meaning mom always rushes to the lights and turns the spots on. Well, after that my docking experience is a real joy b/c I am completely blinded. I have always found it much easier when all lights are turned off. On another note, thanks so much for posting those ice ridge pictures after my post. They have really helped me develop a reference point when people talk about them. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2004, 08:29 AM   #27
madrasahs

"Accidents are going to happen, that is why we have insurance."

Resigning yourself to Fate?

Accidents are avoidable and preventable. An "entitlement" to have an accident is a recipe for tragedy. Remember that "Responsible-Drinking-While-Boating" post?

"Bow lights cannot be seen from the stern of the boat unless they are mounted on each side of the boat as some are."

If you can't see the glow of navigation lights when the stern light is out, you may want to consider a supplement for night blindness. (Rogisen™, for example -- just announced this week.)

"Bow lights..."

Look through any boat catalogue. All are correctly called "navigation lights".

"You take the same risk each time you climb on a snowmobile, ATV, mountain bike or strap on your ski's."

The risk changes dramatically at night.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:48 PM   #28
Treeerider

"Accidents are going to happen, that is why we have insurance."
Resigning yourself to Fate?

Accidents are avoidable and preventable. An "entitlement" to have an accident is a recipe for tragedy.

So you are saying that if you are "careful" that you will NEVER have an accident?? Don't fool yourself into thinking that this is likely....
Old 02-24-2004, 05:39 AM   #29
Belmont resident

You are wrong on this one. Try going out at night sometime and proving your point. I spend countless hours boating at night. As for accident's, yes if I choose to stay at home and do nothing I suppose I can avoid them. But again your wrong. I actually feel safer at night while driving a snowmobile or ATV. I can see the light's of others coming at me.
Either way, you stay at home as it appears you do a lot cause your overly concerned of that might happen if you go out. I will continue to boat, snowmobile, ATV etc. all day and night and enjoy life.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:08 AM   #30
Coastal Laker

Default Clarification on Sidelights

Regarding Lighting - you should NEVER see bowlights (which are an exception to the NAV RULES for sidelights) from astern a vessel.

The exception I am referring to is that Boats under 20m (65.6 ft) are permitted to combine the sidelights into one lantern (what we call the bow lights). So having bow lights on either side of a vessel is not anything special and does not change visibility.

The red and green sidelights by regulation are only to be visible 112.5 degrees from directly ahead - which is from straight ahead to 22.5 degrees abaft the beam.

If you make it a point to understand arc of visibility, a lot of the navigation rules become easier to understand. I included a link to a great site that shows the arc of visibility. For $5 you can get a laminated index card to keep on your boat for reference.

If you're operating in a boat's red zone, you must give way. Same if you ONLY see white (meaning you are astern) because you are overtaking. If you see green, you are the stand-on vessel.

Arc of Visibility
Old 02-24-2004, 12:26 PM   #31
skimmer

Default Re: Clarification on Sidelights

Nice illustration -- thanks for posting the link!

Now -- before 100's of people jump in and chastise me for this question ...

The question is purely posed on the basis of regulations ... no inference made to whether it is stupid thing to do or not ... so please control yourselves...

If a 3 Seater PWC is considered a boat by NH regulations -- if you attach appropriate bow and stern lights to the "boat"... would not that be "legal" in regards to the a "boat" with nav lights at night?
Old 02-24-2004, 01:11 PM   #32
Mee'n'Mac

To be fair to "madrasahs", I don't think he meant to say you'd see the nav light directly but rather the reflected light off ?something?. I know the nav lights will dimly illuminate a patch of the water some 10-30 ft in front of my boat. Whether this would be visible from astern is another matter. I can't recall ever detecting a vessel this way so the jury's still out for me on this one.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:06 PM   #33
SIKSUKR

I always wondered the same thing about a 3 seat pwc myself skimmer.Maybe Skip or somebody else has something on this one. SS
Old 02-24-2004, 05:21 PM   #34
Coastal Laker

Under the Nav Rules, if you meet the requirements for restricted visibility and night-time operation, meaning you have the appropriate lights, then you may operate just about any type of motor vessel. Key words here are "just about."

The kicker is that different states define PWC differently, and so you are subject to state regs. In NH, your 3 seater is not a PWC - it's a boat without navigation lights. Add lights that meet the requirements, you're now a boat "with" navigation lights. So you'd be all set - so you think.

Should you, or anyone, add lights and operate their three seater at night? I wouldn't advise it. I can list many reasons why, all safety related.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:05 PM   #35
madrasahs

Accident's are going to happen, that is why we have insurance.

Boating is much more hazardous at night if for no other reason than 2% of the boating public has hereditary nyctalopia -- Night "blindness".

Nyctalopia is also present -- temporarily -- in people who work outdoors. It can take days to restore proper night vision in those people. Office workers can achieve all of their night vision in just a half an hour of darkness.

You've indicated that you can't see any of the other boats' lights when their white nav light is extinguished.

You might want to turn out your own stern nav light to see if what you say is true. There is normally enough "spilled" light from the remaining lights to identify a boat from astern. A regimen of Rogesin™ may restore your night vision.

But it's not just the lights that should concern you. At any one time, there's unlighted floating debris -- wood, rafts, docks, and boats adrift at night. And those other boaters -- the 2%ers.

My neighbor won't take the effort to learn the lines and knots to secure his pontoon boat. This past season, it has twice drifted away: Once after midnight, when I wasn't around to rescue it. He now has a bow rider -- tied with polypropylene and carabiners. There's no substitute for sound knowledge of seamanship.

In the end, there's always insurance.

But you already said that.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:49 PM   #36
Donzi

madrasahs...

Sometimes your opinions are just so full of BUNK!

"You should be able to see boats with missing stern lights."
"2) Navigation lights (so-called "bow lights") are detectable enough to identify a boat at night -- even from astern." Who's expert opinion is this? Yours? Marine Patrols?? Maybe you got it from the Coast Guard?

What are you thinking? You should be able to see a boat with a missing stern light?? In a full moon maybe, moonless night, not a chance...

The red and green navigation lights are not supposed to visible from astern of the boat... EVER! They have a very delineated angle of visibility BY LAW from the bow of the boat. This so that you can determine what direction the other boat is moving, relative to your position, and from that determine who has right of way etc. You should be able to see a boats stern light from all angles of approach. This is why your stern light is so important... 360 degrees of visibility.

Jeez... I am surprised at you... with your reasoning, Littlefield could have claimed he saw the bow lights and was the stand on boat... Maybe Sisti & Twomey would be like to enlist your expert help for the appeal... Stop and think!

Night boating can be a great experience, if done properly. Be careful, Be prepared, know where your going, and enjoy.

Donzi
Old 02-25-2004, 08:12 PM   #37
madrasahs

"Who's expert opinion is this? Yours?"

Well, yes!

I have optometry experience and worked for a dispensing optician years ago. A judge could declare me a "Lay Expert" for criminal court testimony today. But you so completely misunderstand this nav light concept, that Sisti & Twomey would have paid me to stay away from that trial! (You probably didn't know that defense attorneys pay very handsomely for expert witnesses to just "disappear" -- but attorneys don't call it that, either).

There's more to night blindness than the 2% who cannot see at night (and don't know it).
If you have had LASIK or RK eye surgery, your vision at night has been compromised: A nighttime traffic accident in Germany will have you tested for night vision. 70% do not get their licenses back. http://www.winnipesaukeeforum.com/archive1.cgi?noframes;read=57764

Mee'n'Mac touched on one aspect of detection. Still another is that a boat's own spray will "catch" the light spilled from the navlights: sometimes light mist or fog will. Sometimes it's arrayed across the foredeck -- sometimes it's reflected off the edges of the chrome housing.

Here's a rough analogy on what this is about: Occasionally, you'll drive up on a van with no rear lighting: No tag, tail, or turn lights shining rearwards.

Although you can't directly see either his taillights or his headlights, you can detect his presence.

It's the same for night boaters. I have many miles of night experience with unlighted boats — including my own boat.

In a full moon maybe, moonless night, not a chance...

Seeing unlighted boats/objects under full moon conditions should be fairly easy.

Seeing the red/green navigation lights from astern (with a disabled white light) is easier on moonless nights. (You don't see the red/green, you detect it. Instrument lights also show astern).

Here's another night-optometry trick: Look at the red/green lights on other boats. They should appear equally sharp in appearance -- red or green. If you need new lenses, one of those colors (red or green) will appear consistently sharper.

Give "detection" a try before you reach the conclusion that "It Can't Be Done". If you find disagreement with others about the capacity of your night vision, consider taking night vision supplements.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:18 AM   #38
Rattlesnake Gal

Is it possible the reason PWC are not legal to use at night, because of the increased likelihood of being thrown off and put into dark waters? Or is it is an old law for the smaller PWC that needs updating?
Old 02-26-2004, 12:15 PM   #39
Unbelievable

Of course you can detect an unlighted van ahead of you in a car as your car has headlights!
Old 02-26-2004, 09:55 PM   #40
madrasahs

Yes, my "rough analogy" breaks down as you fix the van in your headlights.

In your headlights, the van can be seen; but it can be detected even with your headlights turned off!

In boating at night, you are sharing a highway without lines and curbs, and your headlights are out.