Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2004, 09:32 PM   #1
Mink Islander

Default Finally! But a question too!

After many weeks of frustration, I FINALLY had a great weekend trolling. Caught 2 18" 2lb Salmon early Saturday (top gun, 5 colors6-6:30 in the, yawn, a.m). Finally got the right depth and lure, I guess. Caught a 2-1/4lb'r on Sunday real early (5:00) - same lure (white and orange). Here's a question: The first two were completely silver with black spots. The one this a.m. was more bronze in color. I'm pretty sure all were salmon. First two were males. The latter a female. Sorry, no catch and release here -- I love'em grilled! I'm no expert though. What causes the coloring variation? Maturity? Sex? The one this morning was a blast to land. Hit the lure hard, dove deep, spent ten minutes slowly hauling it in! I'm having so much fun the twins are even talking about getting up early and going with me! Last week they were making fun of me! Ha! Otherwise it's just me and Bailey, the Portuguese Water Dog getting up real early to fish.

For what it's worth, Hal Lyon's book has been a help and an inspiration. If you don't got it; Get it!
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 09:56 PM   #2
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts

Congratulations Mink Islander! I am sitting here with a smile on my face. Thanks for sharing your fun with us.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 07:22 AM   #3
Sculpin

Default bronze

your bronze catch could have been a lake trout.
also, your first two could have been rainbow trout, and the third one was the salmon. it is very hard to say without pictures, did you take a photo before cutting them up?
Sculpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 07:50 PM   #4
Mink Islander

Default Now with 2 weeks vacation (and lead core trolling experience)

The bronze one was a lake trout (duh!) -- can't believe I didn't figure that out myself! The other two were definitely salmon. I caught only one Rainbow in the past two weeks and it was small (15"). Landed about 10 salmon (including two between 3 and 3-1/2 lbs). Similar number of lake trout. Having the most success with Suttons (usually a 44 either in all copper or copper/silver). Had some luck with top guns too (all copper or copper with white/blaze orange), but the Suttons have been the most reliable.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:58 PM   #5
Wolfeboro Matt

Default How deep?

MI - approx. what depth range were you in? Lead core only, or downrigger?

Sounds like an AWESOME two weeks! Congrats!
Wolfeboro Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2004, 06:20 AM   #6
Mink Islander

Trolling 27lb test lead core. 7 to 9 colors 100 ft of 6lb test leader. 1.8 to 2.2 MPH. I know there are a lot of more experienced anglers who are having more success, but for a newbie trolling in an old Montauk dragging buckets to slow me down and without fishfinder/depth gauge to assist (Xmas, please dear!), I've nonetheless been having a blast.