Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2004, 10:49 AM   #1
jrc

Default Casual Fishing

I need some basic fishing advice. The last time I fished, I was too young to need a license and Jerry Ford was President. But I though about trying it again this summer. What a good way to get started? I have a boat on Winnipesaukee and obviously I need a license. I'm thinking catch and release, so I'm not worried about eating the fish. What's a good starter species? What kind of basic tackle do I need? What kind of bait?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 04:35 PM   #2
Jeff Furber

Default Casual fishing

Since you have a boat of some kind, you have a good start. If you are a novice fisherman, I think a decent quality spinning gear would be a good start.
A visit to a local walmart can get you on the water for very little money and once you get the hang of it and the species you are after you can go from there.
A 6ft or 6.5 foot one or two piece rod is good, Rapala, if your local WallyMart has them make decent rods. A good brand of reel , Shimano, Daiwa, Quantum costing more than $25 should do you well, you should have them install line on it too, if they can. 8lb test monofiliment for starters.
There are also good tackle shops around Winnie and perhaps they may be more expensive in general as its tough to compete with WallyWorld. They can also explain how to set your drag correctly.
If your bass fishing you need , some of the following, Rapala 3-5" floaters in gold/white, black/white, Bomber Long A's in Gold. These are basically surface floaters that will dart under the water maybe 6-8". These should be thrown near boulders on or near the shoreline. They can be left sitting for a few moments and then twitched back to the boat.
Surface floaters, lures called Pop R's , when worked make a popping sound, used around the same areas as Rapala's. Also a lure called Tiny Torpedo, which has a propeller on it.
Sub surface lures or crankbaits should be limited to 1/4 -3/8 oz , anything heavier will over power your rod and are generally made for baitcasting equip.
Again Rapala and Bomber made good diving lures.
Spinnerbaits, same size as crankbaits, 1/8-3/8th , colors white and chart, Winnie type spinnerbaits, all chartuese. They come in various blade type willow or round , either is good.
Now if you want to get to the bottom, where smallie often are or there not biting on top, tubes and grubs, again ask your local tackle shops, anything that resembles crawfish color for tubes is good, pumpkin etc. Grubs silver, white, pumpkin should do.

Some hints , get a good winnie map(Bizer) pick an area that you want to fish, choose a stretch of water perhaps 200ydrs and fish it hard with all the different types of lures you have bought, trying to determine what THEY , the fish want on that particular day.
When you find out what they want stay with it. The best times to fish are when you can get out to do it, earlier is better than later,in general. Dusk is good also, smallmouth favor low light conditions.
If you want to use live bait, remember that the fish often swallow the bait and make it hard to get the hook out with out damaging the fish. Bass love crayfish and shiners.
Catch and release is the way to go. Bring a camera so you can take a picture of your catch.
I have only scratched the surface here, but I hope it gets you started in the right direction.
If you can afford better equipment the better the experience, in my opinion but I am not a casual fisherman. Buy what your budget will allow.
If you would like more advice or you can let me know what you have bought, its ok with me. Good luck Be sure to wear your life jacket (PFD) while operating you boat.
Jeff Furber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 09:54 AM   #3
jrc

Default Casual Fishing

Thanks Jeff, This should go a long way to getting started. The rod, reel and line stuff is all coming back to me. But the lures stuff is new to me, I remember bobbers, weights and hooks with worms.

Good advice on the life vest.

I'm going to give it a try from shore until I get the boat out. Probably less likely to have my first cast hook the bimini that way.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:25 AM   #4
Jeff Furber

jrc, what part of the lake will you fish, perhaps I can narrow down a few really good spots or at least point you in the right area for where you will be fishing.
This time of year with the water cold, more than likely you might hook on to a trout and if its legal to take trout (size and time of year) do so as they are wonderful eating. Be sure to look at the NH rules, when you get your license.
Bass should start to bite around May, again depending on water temp, bass start to get active when the water temp is 45-50deg and really get going when it reaches 55 and up. jeff
Old 04-09-2004, 08:33 AM   #5
jrc

Default Casual Fishing

Until the boat is in the water, I'll probably mess around in the river in Hollis. After that I'll be in Gilford at the Samoset condos near Ellacoya. I see bass boats off our dock all the time so the must be some fish there. This weekend is crazy with Easter and all, but I'll start looking into the license and gear after. I'll check the NH fish and game website for what I can fish when.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2004, 09:30 AM   #6
Sculpin

When you get your fishing license make sure they give you the little handbook of rules, it will tell you everything you need to know.

If you plan on getting your boat into the water to do some fishing in late April and May, i would encourage you to target Salmon and Trout for a few of your trips out. Go to the website www.fishlakewinni.com and go to the message board. this site has a group of folks who target these species and you will find plenty of information within past posts, as well as you can ask for advice.
Sculpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 03:18 PM   #7
Jeff Furber

Default Casual Fishing

jrc, right out in front of Lake Shore Park and in front of the Marina very close to Ellayoca lots of smallmouth bass are caught.This should make you very accessable if you have a small boat. In the spring, perhaps by the end of May and early june the bass fishing in that area should be good.
Many fisherman sit out in front of the Marina in 25ft of water and use crayfish and shiners. From there down towards Smith Pt and Sleepers Island is good for trout and salmon.
You can probably ask a trout guy what lures you might use with the spinning tackle that you get, that would be suitable for salmon and trout. Probably a lure that has a similar color of alewife, which is a type of bait fish in Winnie.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:46 PM   #8
b8tcaster

hey jrc.
I am probably one of those boats you see out in front of your condos... thats a great area to fish. If your interested in learning about bass fishing, drop me an E-mail and i would be glad to take you out for a day and show you a few areas or techniques for bass. I have all the equipment we would need so all you would need would be a license.Let me know

Best regards
Steve
b8tcaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 04:48 PM   #9
Jeff Furber

Default Casual Fishinge

jrc, if you can connect with b8caster, you could learn a lot about bass fishing and boating all in one. Sounds like a heck of an offer and a great learning experience.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:40 AM   #10
jrc

Default Casual Fishing

B8tcaster, thanks for the generous offer. I may take you up on it after ice-out.

I'm actually surprised there are so many fish there, given all the boat traffic. Do you think they like the moored boats? The condo association will add two more moorings this year and reset all the others to make room. I hope they don't disturb the bass.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:53 AM   #11
Jeff Furber

Default Casual fishing message

B8caster, did you get my email to you? Jeff
Old 04-12-2004, 06:41 PM   #12
b8tcaster

Default Jeff

I did not recieve your e-mail. I can be reached via b8tcaster@comcast .net
Best regards
Steve
Old 04-18-2004, 08:49 AM   #13
Jeff Furber

Default casual fishing

b8tcaster, did my email to you ever make it? I resent it. Here's hoping .
Old 04-19-2004, 05:06 PM   #14
b8tcaster

Hello Jeff. I got it and replied today. Give me a call if interested.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:28 PM   #15
NBR

JRC,

I have fished since before the message was I like Ike. I would suggest you get a guide. Even to day when I go to a new lake I always hire a guide for the first day or so. Winni is a huge lake with everything from salmon and trout through bass and the other sunfish. Shallow water deep water and everthing in between. A guide will put you on fish, make sure you have the right equipment and are in the right place.

Be sure you talk to the guide about what fish you want to target, will you have kids, are you more interested in quantity or size? The guide will cost you some money but you will learn more about fishing the lake in one day than you will learn all summer on youjr own and probably catch more fish than in a summer by your self.
NBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 04:06 PM   #16
Jeff Furber

Default Casual fishing

Jrc, if you do want to get a guide, I suggest Rick Lillegard, located in Atkinson NH and has a web site.
He is a long time guide and a great guy to fish with and works for his client.
www. lillegard.com. go to his website and look at the photo section, I am in the second row with a sunglasses and a raincoat and a 3/3/4 smallie. One of 25 I caught that day.