Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-15-2014, 07:24 PM   #1
RAHF

Default Fishing Lake Winnipesaukee

Ok folks, I am new here and my name is Ron. I used to spend one week every summer on this lake when I was a kid. My grandfather taught me how to fish the lake for trout and salmon and he held the lake record for a Rainbow Trout back in the 50s and he owned a house on Pinnacle Park Road in Meredith.

I will be coming up to the lake on Saturday May 31st for a week and will be staying in Moultonborough on Blueberry Lane. I am bringing my bass boat up with me and hope to catch some smallmouth and largemouth during my stay. I will not be fishing Tuesday or Wednesday because my boat will be getting a new wrap put on it. Thursday the boat will be looking pretty sweet and will be recognizable. It will be wrapped as an American Flag and it will have Military Logos and Reel American Heroes Foundation (a 501(c)(3) 100% volunteer nonprofit foundation that provides recreational therapy to our nation's wounded Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, Disabled Veterans & Combat Veterans) on the sides of the boat.

Now for my questions:

What do you anticipate the water temps to be?

What stage will the smallmouth and largemouth be in?

Pre-spawn, Spawn, Post-spawn or a combination of all

Are there any good spots up near where my family and I will be staying that we can get on some good fish? I am not familiar with this end of the lake.

Can you recommend some baits we should bring? We live in Northern, Virginia and primarily fish the Potomac River (a tidal river) for largemouth and snakeheads.

Thank you for reading this and for any assistance you can provide me. My son in-law will celebrate his birthday while we are there and would love to catch a few bass on his birthday.

Sincerely,

Ron DeFreitas
Executive Director
Reel American Heroes Foundation
rdefreitas@reelamericanheroes.org
www.reelamericanheroes.org
RAHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:47 PM   #2
RLW

Smile

RAHF, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

RAHF (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 08:31 AM   #3
znh

Welcome !

Checked out your website, that is incredibly awesome what you are doing for our wounded Veterans and their families. It's great to see people going above and beyond for those who deserve it and need it the most !

As for the fishing I think your best bet would be to go check out the local bait and tackle shops, these guys know the lake the best and have the pulse of what the fish are up to day in and day out. They also have the right local live bait, which IMO is the most consistent bait to use. It should still be around spawning time so it might not really matter what is on the hook, the bass can be pretty aggressive around here this time of year...just remember it is catch-and-release until June 15th for the bass...

You can also check out some other resources like :

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Fish...14/050814.html

http://www.nhbasser.com/articles/ind...&article_id=66

http://www.eregulations.com/newhamps...ng/freshwater/

Speaking of regulations...make sure you get your fishing License. You can get it online here - https://www.nhfishandgame.com/

Winnipesaukee is monitored by Fish and Game and the Marine Patrol so make sure you have your boating license as well ! You can get a 14 Day Temporary Safe Boating Certificate...details here http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/n...temporary.html

Most of all have fun ! The lake is a magical place early in the morning when the fishing is best, the sunrises on a flat lake are pretty awesome...sunsets are pretty spectacular as well

Good luck and tight lines !
znh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to znh For This Useful Post:
RAHF (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
Janet

"My grandfather taught me how to fish the lake for trout and salmon and he held the lake record for a Rainbow Trout back in the 50s and he owned a house on Pinnacle Park Road in Meredith."

RAHF - what was your grandfather's name? We rented a cottage on Pinnacle Park Road the month of August for many years. Our cottage was 2-3 houses up from the public beach. The name of our cottage was "The Pines". We rented the cottage from an older gentleman by the name of Charlie Mintzner. He owned a group of cottages on Pinnacle Park. Maybe we knew your grandfather.
Janet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:56 PM   #5
RAHF

Thank you everyone for the kind words and assistance, I really appreciate it.

My grandfather's name is Oliver Reeves and my grandmother's name is Lillian. My mom and her sisters sold the house after my grandparents passed because they were fighting over dates for each of the families to use the house. That was a truly sad moment in my life to see this taken away after all the wonderful memories I had there every summer when I was a kid. Their house looked like a small white house up next to the road. However it is a two story home and unless you saw it from the water it's size was deceiving. The house was waterfront and located at the top of the hill if you continue up Pinnacle Park Road past the beach. The people that bought it (Mr. & Mrs. Gum) have done a lot of work to it and turned it into a beautiful year round residence. I even got a chance to go inside and see it about 15 years ago, the last time we vacationed on the lake.
RAHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links