Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2018, 03:08 PM   #1
bz21

Default New Boat Owner - Couple of Questions

I am in the process of buying my friend's old boat (2004 Maxum 2200 SR) now that he has upgraded. I will be taking possession of it in a couple of weeks, and it will already be winterized. I am in Gilford and am thinking of using WAM to commission the boat in the spring. Earlier this summer we had an issue while on the water and WAM was able to fix her up and get us back out within an hour. That kind of service sold me. Anyway, since I really don't have a prior relationship with them, what is the process? Wait until the spring gets closer and get on their schedule? Start the conversation now? I don't need storage as I have a place to store it on my own. Is there anything else that I should be thinking of that I am not? Appreciate any tips that people could share.
bz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:14 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Contact them now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bz21 View Post
I am in the process of buying my friend's old boat (2004 Maxum 2200 SR) now that he has upgraded. I will be taking possession of it in a couple of weeks, and it will already be winterized. I am in Gilford and am thinking of using WAM to commission the boat in the spring. Earlier this summer we had an issue while on the water and WAM was able to fix her up and get us back out within an hour. That kind of service sold me. Anyway, since I really don't have a prior relationship with them, what is the process? Wait until the spring gets closer and get on their schedule? Start the conversation now? I don't need storage as I have a place to store it on my own. Is there anything else that I should be thinking of that I am not? Appreciate any tips that people could share.
Don't wait. Contact them now. Here is their website:

http://www.westaltonmarina.com/contact-us.html

Dave
bz21 (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 03:21 PM   #3
marcucci

Yes, best to let marinas know and they'll give you an idea of when they'll be scheduling work in the spring. You'll then need to coordinate dropping the boat off and a launch or launch-ready date.

I try to schedule spring launch mid-week, Monday through Thursday as everyone wants a Friday-Sunday launch. I find marinas are much more open during those times. Dropping a boat off shouldn't be as much of a concern but marinas get very busy in the spring. I can see your boat getting "lost" in the shuffle if you drop it off on a busy weekend.

If you don't have a date scheduled by April 1st then you'll find dates start to get booked and you may not get your first choice.

Edit: Oh and congratulations on the boat!
Boat #3: Premier Sunsation 220 Tritoon
Boating on Winnipesaukee since 1989
Vacationing on Winnipesaukee since 1975
marcucci is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marcucci For This Useful Post:
bz21 (08-28-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 08:34 AM   #4
bz21

Thanks to you both for the quick replies, I appreciate it!
Old 09-04-2018, 05:32 PM   #5
DougNH

bz21 had to do a double take... just traded my 2004 Maxum 2400 SR at Meredith Marina for a 2018 tritoon...
DougNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2018, 06:02 PM   #6
bz21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougNH View Post
bz21 had to do a double take... just traded my 2004 Maxum 2400 SR at Meredith Marina for a 2018 tritoon...
Doug, I hope she treated you well. I'm looking forward to being on the water next year!