Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Question Any One Tried the New MUG AT THE BAY?

Any One Tried the New MUG AT THE BAY?

My wife and I were there Sunday, but only for a few minutes. We were looking to try their Breakfast menu out. We got there at about ten past twelve and to our misfortune, we found out they stop serving Breakfast on the "dot" noontime. I guess we are just to used to the hours at the VK and the Center Harbor dinner.

Can any one tell us what we may have missed?
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Question Any One Tried the New MUG AT THE BAY? CENTER HARBOR???

New Mug Center Harbor? Did I call the Name incorrectly?

350 views of my original Post and NO Replies? What's up with this MUG?
Old 05-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Mug at the Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post
That happens sometimes. Don't take it personally. I would guess that most people are not posting because they haven't been there yet.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
That happens sometimes. Don't take it personally. I would guess that most people are not posting because they haven't been there yet.
I haven't been there yet.

Also - I have clicked on this thread at least twice, because my curiosity has been piqued by the title, and I forgot that I've already looked. "Ohhhh...the MUG!!" (I look at it thinking, "What is the Mag by the Bay?" )
Old 05-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
rick35

We like the (original) Mug but don't get there very often. Having another location on the water gives us another dining option by boat.

My wife would say we don't need more options....need to eat at home more!
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
WinterHarborGirl

Default Mug

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post
New Mug Center Harbor? Did I call the Name incorrectly?

Was In Center Harbor last weekend....never saw it....Where is it located?
WinterHarborGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
jgrif6180

Smile Mug By The Bay

Had lunch at the new Mug By The Bay with my wife today and I'm pleased to report that it was excellent. The interior is bright and clean, the service was outstanding and the food was great. Can't wait to try dinner there.

Last edited by jgrif6180; 05-09-2012 at 04:34 PM. Reason: spelling error
jgrif6180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #8
garysanfran

Default Location

It's near the old location of Sam & Rosie's. Looks nice. Within a walk from Center Harbor docks and it appears to have a view of The Lake.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
WinterHarborGirl (05-09-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #9
LuvWinni

We had lunch there last weekend. Beautiful interior and the sandwiches were yummy! Definitely will be going back.
LuvWinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #10
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default It is the Old Location of Rosie's

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
It's near the old location of Sam & Rosie's. Looks nice. Within a walk from Center Harbor docks and it appears to have a view of The Lake.
It is the Old Location of Rosie's. Total re-designed layout. I have heard the Menu Prices may be a little upscale?

Last edited by WINNOCTURN; 05-11-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #11
garysanfran

Default Mug Menu...

http://www.themugrestaurant.com/index.html
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #12
Dave

Default Outsanding Breakfast

My wife and I were there today. The food is excellent -- can't wait to go back.

What an improvement over VK ...

The VK is dirty and dumpy and the food quality is going down hill. The MUG is going to take quite a bit of business from them.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #13
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Wow,Dave....I've noticed that you've posted on two different threads that the VK was "dumpy and dirty" and we're kind of lost for words.
We always get extremely high marks on our board of health inspections and our kitchen crew takes huge pride in keeping everything spotless.They even clean under and in back of all the equiptment in the kitchen.
Every person in the kitchen has been to ServSafe school which emphasizes cleanliness in the kitchen and with handling food.
I know that on days when we do six to seven hundred people for breakfast,that things can get untidy,but I think that's true in any busy restaurant. After closing the entire crew cleans for at least an hour,both front and back and I think they are all puzzled by your comments.
We do appreciate a little corrective criticsm and always willing to try and improve and we'll definately check it out.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #14
Formula

Default tried once

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
My wife and I were there today. The food is excellent -- can't wait to go back.

What an improvement over VK ...

The VK is dirty and dumpy and the food quality is going down hill. The MUG is going to take quite a bit of business from them.
My family willnot go back. The food was below average.
As for the VK...
We have been lots of times. Always very clean and the food has been very good.
Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #15
Jonas Pilot

I'm sure there's no ulterior motive behind Dave's posts. I've been to the VK dozens of times and was never disappointed with anything including cleanliness.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:34 AM   #16
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
Can anyone comment on breakfast at the WD?

We go to VK in Moultonboro all the time --- looking to tr something different.
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=12662

Apparently a little over a year ago(7-25-11) the VK wasn't too bad?

Haven't tried the mug on the bay yet, but find the other places they have or continue to run to be worthwhile to visit. We look forward to trying it.

VK is always a good choice in my book.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #17
Overlake97

Default First try was underwhelming, but there's hope.

I tried the new MUG (Center Harbor) for breakfast a few weeks ago, and my overall memory is that the two main items on my dish were dry and not as expected. First, I had an omelet, and although I can't recall what was in it (seasoned beef/Tex-Mex fixins?) I do remember that it was ground up and mixed throughout the omelet, creating a consistency of a quiche. In other words, I couldn't really taste the main ingredients! The other dry item was their potato pancake (Latke), which I think serves as their only homefry/hashbrown option. I was looking forward to this, as the only other place I've found that serves it is Annie's Overflow in Plymouth, NH. But this one was dry, almost as if they tried to fry it using little to no oil. Interestingly, right as i was taking my first bite of this I heard the party across the room saying something similar to the waitress.

So, in summary, I was underwhelmed. Oddly enough, however, I will try them again sometime, as the new decor was nice, suggesting that they're committed to making a go of it - and will keep experimenting until they get it right. And despite my generally blah breakfast experience, I did appreciate that the menu had some offerings that differed from the usual diner fare.
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #18
Newbiesaukee

I am not a potato latke expert, but the three people who had it last week at breakfast with me thought it was very tasty. The 2 who,ordered omelettes liked theirs..

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
Overlake97 (07-02-2012), sau (10-14-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #19
Guiness

Default Thanks VK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Wow,Dave....I've noticed that you've posted on two different threads that the VK was "dumpy and dirty" and we're kind of lost for words.
We always get extremely high marks on our board of health inspections and our kitchen crew takes huge pride in keeping everything spotless.They even clean under and in back of all the equiptment in the kitchen.
Every person in the kitchen has been to ServSafe school which emphasizes cleanliness in the kitchen and with handling food.
I know that on days when we do six to seven hundred people for breakfast,that things can get untidy,but I think that's true in any busy restaurant. After closing the entire crew cleans for at least an hour,both front and back and I think they are all puzzled by your comments.
We do appreciate a little corrective criticsm and always willing to try and improve and we'll definately check it out.
We have been enjoying the VK and crew for many years! Great food, service and people. Have not tried the new Mug but will definitely give it a try also.

SAMIAM Thanks!!
Guiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #20
Hermit Cover

Default Since you brought it up, Dave...

The Village Kitchen .....rocks....imho. The family and I have been regulars for a long time and I am gonna have to try this Mug place. ....and test those potato latkes..or hash browns. See you at the Mug across the Highway, Dave.
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermit Cover For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (07-03-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #21
Dave

Quote:

Not looking to bash the VK ... it is what it is. I've been going their for over 14 years with my family. The servers are friendly and very guick. The food is good. The building itself could use some updating (sorry) -- the years are showing.

If this past Sunday at the MUG was any indication (waiting lines 5 parties deep at 9:30am), I think you are going to lose business to the MUG by the bay.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #22
Orion

Default Everything was great

Tried the New Mug by the Bay a few weeks ago and found it very nicely revamped over what it was as Sam & Rosies. Seemed a bit more upscale, but the prices were still great and the food was excellent. Nice to have a good dining spot a short walk from Center Harbor docks. Will definitely be back.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:50 AM   #23
Happy Gourmand

I hope everybody stays away from the VK this weekend and goes someplace else for breakfast. Then maybe the line to get in won't be so bad. The VK is so busy on the weekends that nobody goes there anymore. (thanks, Yogi )
I seriously doubt that the Mug or anybody else will put the VK out of business, as it is one of the premier breakfast spots in the area. Lunch and dinner are better than most family stops in the area too....have you had the Prime Rib on Saturday night? I only wish it was a little closer to Meredith.
Oh, and the Mug? Tried it and liked it, though not a fan of the latkes, but that's just my taste. Everything else was excellent, omelet was perfect.
There is plenty of business in the area for great places to eat like the Mug and the VK.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
hazelnut (07-11-2012), Newbiesaukee (07-04-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #24
SAMIAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
I hope everybody stays away from the VK this weekend and goes someplace else for breakfast. Then maybe the line to get in won't be so bad. The VK is so busy on the weekends that nobody goes there anymore. (thanks, Yogi )
I seriously doubt that the Mug or anybody else will put the VK out of business, as it is one of the premier breakfast spots in the area. Lunch and dinner are better than most family stops in the area too....have you had the Prime Rib on Saturday night? I only wish it was a little closer to Meredith.
Oh, and the Mug? Tried it and liked it, though not a fan of the latkes, but that's just my taste. Everything else was excellent, omelet was perfect.
There is plenty of business in the area for great places to eat like the Mug and the VK.
Phantom...my thoughts too.There is plenty of room for all of us.
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
KPW (07-05-2012)
Old 07-07-2012, 07:05 AM   #25
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Quote:
Not looking to bash the VK ... it is what it is. I've been going their for over 14 years with my family. The servers are friendly and very guick. The food is good. The building itself could use some updating (sorry) -- the years are showing.

If this past Sunday at the MUG was any indication (waiting lines 5 parties deep at 9:30am), I think you are going to lose business to the MUG by the bay.
LOL.... If you take that as logic, then:
Having been to the VK, ( ummm....I can't even count how many times...) and I have had to wait in line on numerous occasions. So logic dictates that I think the Mug is going to lose business to the VK?

The Wolfeboro Diner has lines every morning....

If places around the lakes have lines...Great for them. After the past couple years, they need lines.

Seriously, though. Center Harbor has it's folks and the Moultonborough end of the lake has theirs. I think it is going to depend where you are staying on the lake as to where you go. That said I try to go to as many different eateries as I can around the lake to try places out. Spread the Love...Spread the love people......
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:15 AM   #26
Sunset View

Quote:
Samiam, we love the VK.........especially your staff (Rhonda, Michelle and Sherry) they're tops and the food, always terrific and a good value. Perhaps Dave's comments are coming from the comparision of a new shop to one that is always busy and has been serving the public faithfully for over 25 years! One observation that may have prompted Dave's criticque is the green curtains; they're very old, dated, faded, dusty and in dire need of replacement.............this small upgrade will have impact and make a big difference....as a patron sitting on the outside wall, one look at these curtains makes a statement; they do look like they need attention or just removal!.......Again, for what it's worth, WE LOVE THE VK.....great job SAMIAM and TEAM!
Sunset View is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunset View For This Useful Post:
mhtranger (07-10-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #27
SAMIAM

Thanks,Sunset.....that really is a good idea and I'm going to check it out.
It's easy for things to get past you when it's busy.....just started getting some booths reupholstered....several were all cracked and ugly.
Definately looked bad.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #28
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Thanks,Sunset.....that really is a good idea and I'm going to check it out.
It's easy for things to get past you when it's busy.....just started getting some booths reupholstered....several were all cracked and ugly.
Definately looked bad.
I happened to be in the upholstery shop and saw your benches getting repaired. Lots of butts have sat in your great place!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:35 AM   #29
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Well, six of our butts sat there last night and 4 of us had the tripe!!! It was soooo delicious!!!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #30
Squamie

Default Breakfast - not impressed

In general I am a fan of the original Mug for lunch and dinner and like what they have done to the interior of the Mug by the Bay. I went to breakfast last week for the first time and I was underwhelmed and will most likely not go back for breakfast but will probably try lunch or dinner (which I have not done).

I was by myself and it was a week day last week. It was very quiet only two tables and me. I asked the waitress about of a couple of menu items and was told in essences "I don't really like breakfast so cannot comment". I thought ok ... so I ordered one of the benedicts (tuscan I believe). It took close to twenty minutes for me to get the meal which was really slow especially given the place was empty. As some folks have commented the Latke was very disappointing to the point that I thought it was inedible. It was very hard and crusty like some shredded frozen potato patty that was way over cooked. The benedict did not have alot of taste and was on a sweet roll which was soft and mushy. I thought the hollandaise was tasteless as well and could have used some lemon.

When my plate was cleared I was asked "how was it" and I replied "it was ok" and there was no further follow-up from the waitress .. she just walked away.

Overall not impressed with breakfast ... will try it for lunch or dinner .... and will stick to the VK and Kevin's for a local breakfast.
Squamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #31
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squamie View Post
In general I am a fan of the original Mug for lunch and dinner and like what they have done to the interior of the Mug by the Bay. I went to breakfast last week for the first time and I was underwhelmed and will most likely not go back for breakfast but will probably try lunch or dinner (which I have not done).

I was by myself and it was a week day last week. It was very quiet only two tables and me. I asked the waitress about of a couple of menu items and was told in essences "I don't really like breakfast so cannot comment". I thought ok ... so I ordered one of the benedicts (tuscan I believe). It took close to twenty minutes for me to get the meal which was really slow especially given the place was empty. As some folks have commented the Latke was very disappointing to the point that I thought it was inedible. It was very hard and crusty like some shredded frozen potato patty that was way over cooked. The benedict did not have alot of taste and was on a sweet roll which was soft and mushy. I thought the hollandaise was tasteless as well and could have used some lemon.

When my plate was cleared I was asked "how was it" and I replied "it was ok" and there was no further follow-up from the waitress .. she just walked away.

Overall not impressed with breakfast ... will try it for lunch or dinner .... and will stick to the VK and Kevin's for a local breakfast.
We had the exact same experience...a Monday morning, the last week in June. Lackadaisical service and the breakfast was underwhelming. What's up with the waitress taking our three coffee cups away to refill them? "I'll be sure to remember which one belongs to which person..." Really? You can't just bring over the pot, or give us fresh cups?

If I want to go to breakfast by boat, I'll go the the Wolfeboro Dineror the Wolfeboro Inn; if by car, VK hands-down.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #32
Ross_t

VK is pretty good. But I don't like powdered potatoes.. Takes away from the other well prepared food.
Ross_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #33
mhtranger

Ate lunch there this afternoon and I thought it was very good. I had the buffalo chicken wrap and my nephew had a mug burger. Food came out as ordered and pretty fast for lunchtime hour. The homemade chips were awesome. As noted above service was ok but not great. Drinks were taken off the table to refill which surprised both of us. Glad we had two different drinks. Overall I will go back and try something different next time I'm up.
David
mhtranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #34
SAMIAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross_t View Post
VK is pretty good. But I don't like powdered potatoes.. Takes away from the other well prepared food.
Never ,ever used powdered potato's Ross.We use fresh red bliss,they come "smashed"with some skins in them.You aren't the first person that thought they were instant ,though.Wish I had a better answer.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #35
songkrai

Thumbs up

I have been a customer of the Village Kitchen since the days when they pumped gasoline out front.

The service and quality has been excellent all these years.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:48 AM   #36
songkrai

Opps. This thread is about the new Mug.

I have not been to the new Mug yet. I have been to both the original Mug and the Mug next to the laundry/Dunkin Donuts. That Mug made an excellent sandwich. Positive reviews for the old new Mug.

I have not been to the new new Mug.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:42 AM   #37
songkrai

Update.
I have been to the "new" MUG in Center Harbor.
Food was excellent.
Service was excellent.

The new MUG seems fresh and clean.
The new MUG has a full bar with big screen TV.
The prices were nearly the same as many others.
The service staff were friendly and prompt.

The new MUG has a good view of lake.
The Following User Says Thank You to songkrai For This Useful Post:
sau (10-14-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 05:27 AM   #38
Lakewinn1

Thumbs down Mug at the Bay

Like most of the previous posts I was also underwhelmed by the service and the food. VK still rules!!!!!!
Lakewinn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #39
CrownRay

Cool. I will have to try it. I have been patrial to BAY GULLS recently! I used to go there when it was Sam and Rosies, but the whole NASCAR theme got really old. It was like, enough already!
Old 10-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #40
sau

Default Thank u for the comments

Hi everyone,
My name is Chris I am the general Manager of The Mug by the bay.I appreciate all the input patrons have put up here. Due to many request for home fries on our breakfast menu we have added them as an option to our home made latkes. Our Breakfast hours are 8 am -11:30 am 7 days a week often we extend our breakfast to 12 o'clock to accommodate our customers seeking breakfast. The reason for the the time frame is because, We make a lot of our food from scratch and we do so for lunch and dinner. this allows us the time to change over the Kitchen for the lunch and dinner sessions.
Although I appreciate the compliment of our Restaurant being a choice over others, It is our intention on providing great food and service to our community, Not to hurt the business of our neighbors. We believe in small community helping each other.
We offer a unique Casual dinning experience in our newly renovated space. We are located in the Yikes building across from the Beach in Center Harbor,NH . The space was literally taken down to the frame and rebuilt by the owners. The work done was nothing short of amazing I encourage everyone to please visit.
Our decor is a Nautical theme with a modern flair. The space has been expanded to 2000 sq ft. We also offer a full bar with lunch and dinner specials daily. We are quickly becoming known for our home made chowders and soups. If anyone has any concerns or questions I can be reached at 1-603-677-7141 or Chrislopesmug@yahoo.com Thank u again for the feedback
sau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #41
sau

Default Thank u for the input

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlake97 View Post
I tried the new MUG (Center Harbor) for breakfast a few weeks ago, and my overall memory is that the two main items on my dish were dry and not as expected. First, I had an omelet, and although I can't recall what was in it (seasoned beef/Tex-Mex fixins?) I do remember that it was ground up and mixed throughout the omelet, creating a consistency of a quiche. In other words, I couldn't really taste the main ingredients! The other dry item was their potato pancake (Latke), which I think serves as their only homefry/hashbrown option. I was looking forward to this, as the only other place I've found that serves it is Annie's Overflow in Plymouth, NH. But this one was dry, almost as if they tried to fry it using little to no oil. Interestingly, right as i was taking my first bite of this I heard the party across the room saying something similar to the waitress.

So, in summary, I was underwhelmed. Oddly enough, however, I will try them again sometime, as the new decor was nice, suggesting that they're committed to making a go of it - and will keep experimenting until they get it right. And despite my generally blah breakfast experience, I did appreciate that the menu had some offerings that differed from the usual diner fare.
We recently changed a couple things on our menu and added home fries due to suggestions from our patrons. Thank you
sau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sau For This Useful Post:
Overlake97 (10-22-2012)