Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2020, 10:52 AM   #1
TheProfessor

Default Another Business Leaves Meredith

Cross Insurance is leaving Meredith.

What other insurance agencies are in Meredith ?
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:00 AM   #2
loonguy

Melcher & Prescott.
loonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loonguy For This Useful Post:
baerkjkr (10-30-2020), Electric man (10-30-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 11:11 AM   #3
WinnisquamZ

Where are they going? And why?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:04 PM   #4
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default Another Business Leaves Meredith

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Cross Insurance is leaving Meredith.

What other insurance agencies are in Meredith ?
Remember they have about 20 locations in New Hampshire and Maine including one in Laconia. It’s not like the company is going out of business or leaving the area so if you are happy with them there is no reason to change.

joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:06 PM   #5
gus62

Meredith Insurance Agency right across the street from Town Docks.
Ted Fodero is the agent, great guy, knowledgeable and right there when you need him.
gus62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2020, 12:16 PM   #6
4 for Boating

I believe I received something in the mail from them stating they were moving the Meredith office people into the Laconia one. I guess merging the two - could not say if anyone was let go, just sounded like moving everyone into one location...
4 for Boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:43 PM   #7
MeredithMan

Default Correct...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 for Boating View Post
I believe I received something in the mail from them stating they were moving the Meredith office people into the Laconia one. I guess merging the two - could not say if anyone was let go, just sounded like moving everyone into one location...
The letter stated that no one is getting canned....just consolidating space into the Laconia office
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (10-30-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 01:51 PM   #8
Mr. V

I wonder to what degree the availability of insurance online has impacted local insurance agencies?
Old 10-30-2020, 02:05 PM   #9
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Amerigas has closed local offices

Amerigas closed the Laconia office, which makes for a challenge when trying to contact anyone. They have reportedly cut customer service reps from 12000+ nationally to about 2000 (approximate numbers), so you can expect a long time on HOLD if you need service. If we didn’t have such a favorable rate for propane, we would probably go elsewhere.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:58 PM   #10
fatlazyless

.............. No way ........ www.amerigas.com/contact works totally fabulous for me ..... by sending them an email ..... it is the greatest way to communicate since language was first invented ...... way back on 1194 BC ...... and even beyond that to the neanderthals rubbing two sticks together to get a fire started ..... on 12454 BC ..... Dick & Jane Neanderthal sent a message via their neanderthal grape vine ...... helloooo Amerigas ...... here we are living in a cold cave ..... trying to start fire with rubbing two sticks together ..... and no fire is happening? ..... can you send someone over here! ...... ..... is so easy, even a cave man or cave woman can do it.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:06 PM   #11
Patofnaud

After waiting 13 days for a tank fill, and then them sending me a tank rental charge for not using enough gas, I closed my AmeriGas account and told them to come to get their tank. This after being a customer for 6 years.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:42 PM   #12
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofnaud View Post
After waiting 13 days for a tank fill, and then them sending me a tank rental charge for not using enough gas, I closed my AmeriGas account and told them to come to get their tank. This after being a customer for 6 years.
The troops in Laconia are restless....not at all happy with how Amerigas is being run long distance. We waited over 2 weeks and several phone calls to another planet to have the pressure adjusted properly. It means that we will have to monitor everything closely, even if we are on automatic delivery. Despite what FLL claims, it’s not the same, and it’s not as good as it was.
Old 10-31-2020, 06:48 AM   #13
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

When a business isn't local any more you don't get the same service. Just the other day people on FB were complaining about Amerigas, Rhymes, Irving, Eastern. All of them are companies that used to be local but aren't any more.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 07:00 AM   #14
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Very happy with Rymes…..price and service. Now sold to Superior but still local offices
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 09:00 AM   #15
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
When a business isn't local any more you don't get the same service. Just the other day people on FB were complaining about Amerigas, Rhymes, Irving, Eastern. All of them are companies that used to be local but aren't any more.
As an Irving customer, (soon not to be) I have had poor service and had been running on fumes before they said they would “have a truck in the area”
What BS. Auto delivery my ass...have had to call most times in the coldest season to ask for delivery.
Going with a more “local” company but they can’t put me in service until December 3rd due to heavy schedule. Hope it’s worth the wait...meanwhile, I may have to call Irving one more time before then.
I will request a partial fill as I don’t want the tanks full when they come to take them away.
I will add that Irving people are always polite and cordial on the phone even though they don’t deliver quickly enough.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:32 AM   #16
FlyingScot

One thing we all need to remember is that local businesses are typically more expensive. Amerigas, Irving and others reduce local service in order to cut prices (and increase profit). Next time you're looking for the best deal, maybe don't sweat it if the local guy is a bit pricier
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:06 AM   #17
dickiej

My HVAC guy contracted out his customer service department....when I lived in Massachusetts, I would call Methuen for service and they would answer the phone. Just before we moved, I called and got someone from the Philippines...could barely speak English...I couldn't understand them...had to keep saying, "excuse me?"...
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:44 AM   #18
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Also don't forget the impact that COVID has had on many of these businesses, especially ones that have people in the field with direct contact with the public. Some of that is due to government controls, some is the private sector - specifically when it comes to employers and liability. Furthermore the impacts it has had on supply chains as well.

You cannot severely restrict things and not have a domino effect.

This is not to meant to say what is in play is right or wrong. Just that it is impacting many service providers.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 12:53 PM   #19
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
As an Irving customer, (soon not to be) I have had poor service and had been running on fumes before they said they would “have a truck in the area”
What BS. Auto delivery my ass...have had to call most times in the coldest season to ask for delivery.
Going with a more “local” company but they can’t put me in service until December 3rd due to heavy schedule. Hope it’s worth the wait...meanwhile, I may have to call Irving one more time before then.
I will request a partial fill as I don’t want the tanks full when they come to take them away.
I will add that Irving people are always polite and cordial on the phone even though they don’t deliver quickly enough.
If you remember that wind storm a few years ago, my generator ran for four days and we weren't home and didn't want to run out. Rhymes said we were due in two weeks. I explained about the storm but it didn't matter. We were due in two weeks and that was it. I called Wolfeboro Oil and they came delivered to us. (We own the tanks.) When spring came we switched to Wolfeboro Oil and had them put their name on the tanks in huge letters and guess what. Rhymes delivered to them anyway. Irving insisted I didn't need oil a couple of times when I was almost empty and though I begged they would not deliver. Told me if it wasn't empty and they delivered it would be an extra 200. I said fine, but they still wouldn't deliver. Because I knew one of the truck drivers, he rescued me. Needless to say both companies are no longer. BTW, this was automatic delivery in both places.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 12:54 PM   #20
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default timeline

Recall that Covid started near the end of the winter heating season. Tanks were full, weather was getting warmer. We don't really know what will happen this winter. If there are major supply changes e.g. no fracking, that won't have an impact for many months. Save this thread and read it again in a year.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:43 PM   #21
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
My HVAC guy contracted out his customer service department....when I lived in Massachusetts, I would call Methuen for service and they would answer the phone. Just before we moved, I called and got someone from the Philippines...could barely speak English...I couldn't understand them...had to keep saying, "excuse me?"...
Forget the issue with understanding folks on the telephone; it seems to be a real problem all over the USA and it seems to be getting a lot worse over the last 20 years.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:08 AM   #22
fatlazyless

Default ...... hey Amerigas!

At the end of August I emailed Amerigas, presumably somewhere in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, and told them I wanted my message to go sta-raight to the King, himself ...... you know the King of Prussia ..... and sure enough that tank was filled the very next day ..... with the bestest quality propane ever produced in the great propane State of Pennsylvania.

Like, why bother with that never ending, oil burner service ...... what, with all the tune-ups, nozzles, electrodes, pumps and filthy soot boiler/furnace/chimney cleaning that goes with oil, when there's clean burning, gravity fed propane ...... good for outside tank storage down to minus 25-below zero.

Furthermore, by communicating by email it automatically puts it in writing, easy to use again the next time for your propane refill.

Hey Amerigas ..... it's about that time, again .... plus Amerigas-Laconia has a truck with an extra long 150' hose so it can get to problematic snow deliveries.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:59 AM   #23
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
At the end of August I emailed Amerigas, presumably somewhere in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, and told them I wanted my message to go sta-raight to the King, himself ...... you know the King of Prussia ..... and sure enough that tank was filled the very next day ..... with the bestest quality propane ever produced in the great propane State of Pennsylvania.

Like, why bother with that never ending, oil burner service ...... what, with all the tune-ups, nozzles, electrodes, pumps and filthy soot boiler/furnace/chimney cleaning that goes with oil, when there's clean burning, gravity fed propane ...... good for outside tank storage down to minus 25-below zero.

Furthermore, by communicating by email it automatically puts it in writing, easy to use again the next time for your propane refill.

Hey Amerigas ..... it's about that time, again .... plus Amerigas-Laconia has a truck with an extra long 150' hose so it can get to problematic snow deliveries.
From NPR....

Propane can be confusing for some consumers because per gallon it is cheaper than heating oil, but because it contains less energy per gallon. OEP data puts propane at 40 percent more expensive than oil for space heating.
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2020, 11:48 AM   #24
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
From NPR....

Propane can be confusing for some consumers because per gallon it is cheaper than heating oil, but because it contains less energy per gallon. OEP data puts propane at 40 percent more expensive than oil for space heating.
Hmmm--I think this chart is also confusing. It describes electricity as the most expensive, but obviously that is with outdated baseboards, and is not the case with electric mini splits.
Old 11-01-2020, 12:34 PM   #25
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Hmmm--I think this chart is also confusing. It describes electricity as the most expensive, but obviously that is with outdated baseboards, and is not the case with electric mini splits.
Right, I would venture to say that those mini splits are in a category of their own. Although correct me if I'm wrong but those are considered to be more like a "space heater" than a whole home solution? I didn't read the entire article to see exactly how they derived these numbers but did find it interesting.

However you slice it I think this is accurate in that heating with electricity is generally the most expensive.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:27 PM   #26
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Right, I would venture to say that those mini splits are in a category of their own. Although correct me if I'm wrong but those are considered to be more like a "space heater" than a whole home solution? I didn't read the entire article to see exactly how they derived these numbers but did find it interesting.

However you slice it I think this is accurate in that heating with electricity is generally the most expensive.
Mini splits were not suitable for a whole home 10 or so years ago. But they are now--our Massachusetts house was built 3 years ago, mini splits only. I did some rough calcs at the time, I think they are about half the price of oil to run them.
Old 11-02-2020, 06:19 AM   #27
Stilljester

I believe the chart is simply the cost to generate 1 million BTUs per a specific fuel source (Cost in NH per the title) so it is agnostic regarding the space itself & the underlying efficiency to heat or cool it.

The British Thermal Unit, or BTU, is an energy unit. It is approximately the energy needed to heat one pound of water by 1 degree Fahrenheit. 1 BTU = 1,055 joules, 252 calories, 0.293 watt-hour or the energy released by burning one match. 1 watt is approximately 3.412 BTU per hour

This chart will change drastically based on the price (cost) assumption of the fuel source itself.
Stilljester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:00 AM   #28
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
That's why we left...same problems. Ran out of gas twice on auto delivery
once when we were in Fla ...thank God my neighbor checked the house before everything froze
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (11-02-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 09:32 AM   #29
Patofnaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilljester View Post
I believe the chart is simply the cost to generate 1 million BTUs per a specific fuel source (Cost in NH per the title) so it is agnostic regarding the space itself & the underlying efficiency to heat or cool it.

The British Thermal Unit, or BTU, is an energy unit. It is approximately the energy needed to heat one pound of water by 1 degree Fahrenheit. 1 BTU = 1,055 joules, 252 calories, 0.293 watt-hour or the energy released by burning one match. 1 watt is approximately 3.412 BTU per hour

This chart will change drastically based on the price (cost) assumption of the fuel source itself.
Correct. For any given fuel your end cost would be based on the efficiency of the use of it. That is why heat pumps (used in min-splits) cost less to run than electric baseboards while providing the same end effect.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:53 AM   #30
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Elementary and probably dumb question

Please don’t do an eye roll here....I have never heard of mini splits. If a homeowner with electric baseboard heat wanted to switch to the newer more efficient mini split system, what is entailed, and would it be terribly expensive to do? We have electric bb, and propane system was added later. I am wondering if it makes sense to do the mini split system since it sounds efficient and reasonable in cost to operate, even with N.H.’s high electric rates. Small cape, about 2200 s.f. Thanks for opinions.
Sue
Old 11-02-2020, 10:24 AM   #31
WinnisquamZ

I have a total of five heads and two units that operate them. Very happy. The largest change to these systems over the past few years is the heat it supplies. Much more efficient. Even at 0 degrees. I no longer need to run a humidifier during the winter months. The install of these units in most cases is simple and can be completed in one day.
You should give someone a call. Estimates are free. I can tell you the most recent one we installed was a single head unit with a new electrical run required. $2600. Price does depend on the electric requirements and brand of unit

WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
Sue Doe-Nym (11-02-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 10:29 AM   #32
fatlazyless

In Canada, by a Canada law, have heard that all propane heaters must be the design that continues to make heat when the electricity is down. Is this really true?

Is not the case in USA or in NH, and you can get either a propane warm air space heater that continues to work when the electricity is down or goes out until the electricity comes back on ...... which can make a big difference if the power is out for 24-hours in very cold temps. The non electricity dependent propane heaters operate on the propane pressure within the propane storage tank, and have a pilot light and a 12-volt dc Piezo (whatever that is?) self-generating hot air heat that can work a remote wall mounted thermostat.

It has a propane pilot light, which is the key design to the non electricity dependent systems.

A Rinnai direct vent will shut off without electricity, and come back on, when the electricity is back.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:16 AM   #33
MAXUM

The use of pilot lights on gas appliances is being replaced by on demand ignition which are fired by A/C but most decent stuff has a battery backup should the lights go out. It's a safety thing.

This all comes down to properly preparing your situation in the event of power loss. Paying a steep premium for propane cause it works without electricity is pretty short sighted.

Installing a transfer switch and purchasing a portable generator is short money and can give you plenty of power for the essentials when needed.